AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve morgan View Post

rmk what other speakers have you had .

Monitor Audio Gold, Revel Performa, Revel Ultima and lot's of subs ...

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 21413 Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone yet taken delivery of the Quintuple 8? Would love to know what people think.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on JTR speakers for LCR but trying to decide between the T12s and the Q8s. Seems like the T12s would have better low range impact but I can better handle the width of the Q8s.

Louis
post #633 of 21413 Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Liked: 10
rmk those are great speaker lines you have had . do the 8's fit in with them or is it just the ability to play louder and cleaner . in other words does the speaker sound just as good as the others at the same normal listining leves pound for pound . wait you have 12's right ?
post #634 of 21413 Old 11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

rmk those are great speaker lines you have had . do the 8's fit in with them or is it just the ability to play louder and cleaner . in other words does the speaker sound just as good as the others at the same normal listining leves pound for pound . wait you have 12's right ?

I honestly can't imagine anything going louder than the 8's. I have a single 8 running off an onkyo 805 (not close to a lot of power) and audyssey set my speaker to -12 (the lowest it goes) just to meet reference and it is still 4db hot!
post #635 of 21413 Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM

no i konw they play louder i meant sound quality

ok i have searched everywhere and can not find a photo of the slanted 8 ? anyone ?
post #636 of 21413 Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Triple 12HT's for LCR, Triple 8's as surrounds and Slanted 8's as surround backs.

All of the speakers I had before the JTR's sounded good at "normal listening levels" but none of them were capable of the dynamic range of the JTRs. Most of my use is HT and reference level movie sound track reproduction in my 3600cf dedicated room requires amp power and efficient speakers. All of my previous speakers would compress and distort at high SPL's. The JTR's give me the sound quality and quantity that I want and do this for far less $ than I had invested in the Hifi speakers that preceded them. It is also nice that I can sit down in the sweet spot with a good glass of wine and listen to well recorded M/C or Stereo music without feeling short changed.

My SO has a better ear for music than I do and she has validated all of my feelings about these speakers SQ relative to their predecessors. She also likes movies played @ near reference level with big impact bass and even kind of likes the way they look so I am fortunate on several levels ... no?

HToM

post #637 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wish I had the space for slanted 8s for surrounds but i dont.I guess I could try to replace the drivers in my 4 Polk audio fx1000 to the drivers the jtr uses but that would be $$$$
post #638 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

RMK

How do the Slanted 8's keep up with the triple 8's?

I just can't understand how a single driver has the same response as 3. I have paradigm studio 60's that are a bit too big for my side's (my listening area is TINY) and would like something smaller but I have a hard time seeing how a single driver can equal the t8's
post #639 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

RMK

How do the Slanted 8's keep up with the triple 8's?

I just can't understand how a single driver has the same response as 3. I have paradigm studio 60's that are a bit too big for my side's (my listening area is TINY) and would like something smaller but I have a hard time seeing how a single driver can equal the t8's

THe Slanted 8's are my surround back speakers (not much content there) and I have not done a direct comparison. No one including Jeff thinks the S8's are comparable to the T8's. The Triple 8's have been a huge improvement over my previous Revel I-30 in-walls.

I'm actually thinking of getting another pair of S8's or moving the existing pair up to the front (ceiling mount) as Height Speakers. My new Integra SSP supports Audyssey DSX (Front High / Wide Channels) and I'd like to give it a try.

HToM

post #640 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I am more confused how it can reach 80hz and what the actual trade offs are. If it is mostly volume then its fine. Part of me knows it is highly unlikely that a single driver can match the studio 60's but the trade off in size would be worth it if the sound dropoff isn't too much
post #641 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I am more confused how it can reach 80hz and what the actual trade offs are. If it is mostly volume then its fine. Part of me knows it is highly unlikely that a single driver can match the studio 60's but the trade off in size would be worth it if the sound dropoff isn't too much

I do not know how the S8's would compare to the Studio 60's, but they are not really a single driver is a coaxial with a compression driver and a Mid/Woofer.

Several companies like Tannoy and Seaton sell speakers of similar design (Single Coaxial) as main speakers, so it is possible, if they cover the frequency range, that they would be at least equal to the Studio 60's and would certainly be a better timbre match with the T8's.
post #642 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing I found interesting is that Audyssey Mult XT(Pro Kit) set the Xover on the S8's @ 50hz. Going by that, an 80hz xover should be fine.
BTW, I have my Slanted 8 xover set to 100hz.

HToM

post #643 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM

rmk yes you are lucky on many levels thanks for the input it does help push me to the phone to call jeff .
post #644 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Liked: 12
Looks like 20% off all speakers from here until Dec. 7th.
post #645 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM

yep jeff said 20 % I CALLED now for a demo . BTW jeff really is a nice guy . he has probably been asked the same questions a million times but i am glad he did say there are differences in each speaker and model . now maybe next week i can get a listen i really would love to keep a pair for a couple days to get to know them . have some fellow addicts over for a peek . now i am worried about being disapionted . at least he only lives 50 miles from me he even offered to bring them over tonight but i cant i think i will call him back .

does anyone know what mid and compression driver he is using now in the triple 8 ?
post #646 of 21413 Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

yep jeff said 20 % I CALLED now for a demo . BTW jeff really is a nice guy . he has probably been asked the same questions a million times but i am glad he did say there are differences in each speaker and model . now maybe next week i can get a listen i really would love to keep a pair for a couple days to get to know them . have some fellow addicts over for a peek . now i am worried about being disapionted . at least he only lives 50 miles from me he even offered to bring them over tonight but i cant i think i will call him back .

does anyone know what mid and compression driver he is using now in the triple 8 ?

The coaxial is custom with a sealed back. I believe the compression driver is imported and the midrange is made by Eminence. Whoever makes it, it is the best sounding speaker I have heard.
post #647 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
20%, wow, this may be what gets me off the fence. I am trying to decide between some triple 12's, catalyst's, and sparks. Anyone have any experience with these? Also, do you think my outlaw monoblock 2200's will be enough to get full performance out of these speakers?
post #648 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

20%, wow, this may be what gets me off the fence. I am trying to decide between some triple 12's, catalyst's, and sparks. Anyone have any experience with these? Also, do you think my outlaw monoblock 2200's will be enough to get full performance out of these speakers?

I'm sure your mono blocks would do fine but, that really depends on how loud you listen. I have the T8's and they are increadable. They amaze me every time I listen to music and movies. BIG, HUGE, dynamics and so effortless in the delivery. I've had the pleasure of listening to the Sparks as well as the Catalyst's and they are awesome loud speakers as well but, for my budget the T8's fit the bill. The only ones I have not heard are the T12's.
post #649 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks Tom. Could you give me your thoughts on the triple 8 vs. a spark. I have two 13 utra subs to pair these with in a large room(6000 cubic ft).
post #650 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My onkyo 805 gets all the volume I could even want ha, depends on how big the listening area, mine is tiny
post #651 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'd really like to get JTR owner opinions on the differences between the JTR T12, T8, and Q8. The JTR 20% off sale HAS pushed me over so I'm ready to buy. I just need to decide which ones. Here is my situation.

These will go into a multiuse room - a family room. The room is approximately 21x21 with variable ceiling height. Room volume is 4,000 cubic ft. 30% of one side wall opens into another room with 2,000 cubic ft. The room is live with wood floors and lots of windows (partially draped).

I intend to build or buy a custom made floor to ceiling wall cabinet to contain my current 60" plasma, the electronics, LCR speakers, and likely a Danley DTS-10. I will mount the DTS-10 at the ceiling as part of the cabinet/wall.

In total I have just over 8ft of width to work with, which is a little tight for the T12 but can be done. If you follow and agree with the 45 degree spread for the left and right speakers, than this should work okay. Center to center the speakers will be +-75 inches with a seating distance of 8 to 10 ft.

THE CHOICES

Triple12HT
In theory, this should be the best of the 3. Larger cones will deliver more impact and wider dispersion pattern for the CD. Downside is the width of the speaker particularly if I need to toe them in, which I expect I would. It would be great if I could saw off the rear outside corner. ;-)

Triple8HT
The smaller version of the T12 with less impact and greater directivity. Advantage is that it will be much easier to accommodate and can be had with furniture grade finish (not relevant in the cabinet but may be worth it for resale value).

Quint8
This is the T8 with 2 additional 8 drivers. I have not yet seen any reviews on this speaker but it should get closer to the performance of the T12 while keeping the narrower profile of the T8. The Q8 can also be had with a furniture grade finish.

I recently asked Jeff how these compared to the T12s and he described them as trading off a little output for a little sound quality. I expected the output tradeoff but I was surprised by the idea that the Quint8s would have higher sound quality. Why might that be?

The other thing that concerns me about the Q8 is how the number of drivers impact speaker coherence, i.e., the more cones you have the further away you need to sit. Will 8 ft be enough with these speakers?

SUMMARY
My first choice is the T12 (bigger is better, right?) but I am leaning towards the T8 or Q8 because I can better accommodate the width. Of the T8 and Q8 I prefer the Q8 but for my concern about seating distance. On the other hand I may also find that the T8 delivers everything I need when taken together with the Danley DTS-10.

Thoughts?

Louis
post #652 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Sound thinking Louis. I am actually using a combo of 888s for L & R and the Triple 12LF for center. I am also ordering 2)DTS-10s nearfield and a Growler up front. In my room its 22 feet from the back wall to the front of the screen. The screen is acoustically transparent and in front of a 36" tall dividing wall which is the only thing separating the next room which has another 20 feet behind it. My speakers are on a platform in between the 2 rooms so the wall behind the speakers is 20 feet away which means next to no support from the room. My thinking was to add the Growler (long throw and able to hang with the DTS-10 in output and sensitivity) up front to reinforce the 888s and the DTS-10s to serve as riser and handle the rest. My receiver has 2 LFE outputs so should make integration easier.
post #653 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 AM

bigger is not always better jeff told me the 8 are better he even crosses them different . it probably has to do with the 8 being a better wave guide than the 12 . dont know just speculation and i bet the 8 sounds better if you look at the seaton catalist it is running the 8 not the 12 also probably over my head reason for it . jeff said the HT models are running diferent cross overs now too. reading between the lines he probably voiced things a little better for room bounderies in home use verses open air specs for live sound . i am going to call him later and try too get a demo this comming week end i will post my thoughts .

has anyone ran there 12 against there 8 in home ? i was really going for the 12 but even jeff recommended the 8 . it makes sense i do run thx cert 80 hz on all my speakers so i think the low end would be wasted on the 12 . i will probaly end up revamping my subs to play cleaner up high or something to that matter.
post #654 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The 12HT's have an output advantage and lower extenison than the T8's. The Quintuple 8's are another matter and at this point, the only person who could comment on that is Jeff.

As to a sound quality delta, Jeff should know ...

HToM

post #655 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks Tom. Could you give me your thoughts on the triple 8 vs. a spark. I have two 13 utra subs to pair these with in a large room(6000 cubic ft).

That's a tough question since I haven't heard the Sparks for about 6-7 months and it was at another forum members house with material I wasn't that fimiliar with but, they sounded excellent for there size. They were paired up w/ a Submersive and sounded excellent.

I personally like the fact that the T8's have the two 8" woofers doing the lower work and letting the mid do it's thing. Mark has more control in the Sparks you are getting the powerful amps with dsp and a more expensive coax driver. The T8's fit my budget so, I didn't have to think about it to much. The T8's where the right choice for me. If I had the extra dough the Catalyst's would be my first choice, they are awesome!
post #656 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
Ok, I'm now all in. I've had three triple 8's across the front and two slant 8's for rears for just over a month now. I'm driving them with a Parasound A21 for the front L&R, a Parasound A23 for the center and a Parasound A23 for the two rears. The head unit is currently a Denon 3808 but I will soon be ordering an Onkyo 80.1. My only two sources are an Oppo BD83 and a Toshiba A35. The rest of the equipment is a 130" X 54 1/8" Seymour Centerstage XD screen, two MFW15's, a velodyne SMS-1, and a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Projector is currently an RS20 which will be replaced next week with an RS35.

This past week marks a turning point of sorts. I have sold off my two channel rig completely. I was running a two channel setup alternating between Revel F32's, M22's and Magnepan 1.6's for speakers with a Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS tube preamp and Marantz SACD player. Over the past week, I sold all of it (except the Marantz which is moving to a smaller setup upstairs).

I'm now content with just the triple 8's for my music and HT needs. I'm even happy with the sound out of the 3808 driving it all. I've lost some resolution and I don't get that goosebumps along my back feeling quite as often but overall, this is one helluva great sounding system. It somehow just does it all right. The only fault I can find is that it doesn't have as deep a soundstage as I would probably like, but the width is huge. Cranking the sound to -15 is really, really loud in my smallish room (133" x 18.5').
The Mags excelled at all things vocal with female vocals sounding amazing. They lacked in HT and hard rock. Where they lack, the Triple 8's dominate. Where the Mags excelled, the Triple 8's don't quite match, but they aren't that much worse. I've yet to listen to large orchestral pieces but I have the feeling they will sound amazing. Compared to the Revels, they are again not quite as detailed. I got the feeling with the M22's that I could hear farther into the music. However, the M22's would break up and sound a bit harsh when pushed to high levels. I prefer the Triple 8's in every way over the F32's but that isn't too big a surprise as they were my least favorite speaker. Anyway, I think I'll stick with these for quite some time. I'm also excited to move to the 80.1 with its balanced connections and dynamic eq and possible pro audyssey.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #657 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Ok, I'm now all in. I've had three triple 8's across the front and two slant 8's for rears for just over a month now. I'm driving them with a Parasound A21 for the front L&R, a Parasound A23 for the center and a Parasound A23 for the two rears. The head unit is currently a Denon 3808 but I will soon be ordering an Onkyo 80.1. My only two sources are an Oppo BD83 and a Toshiba A35. The rest of the equipment is a 130" X 54 1/8" Seymour Centerstage XD screen, two MFW15's, a velodyne SMS-1, and a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Projector is currently an RS20 which will be replaced next week with an RS35.

This past week marks a turning point of sorts. I have sold off my two channel rig completely. I was running a two channel setup alternating between Revel F32's, M22's and Magnepan 1.6's for speakers with a Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS tube preamp and Marantz SACD player. Over the past week, I sold all of it (except the Marantz which is moving to a smaller setup upstairs).

I'm now content with just the triple 8's for my music and HT needs. I'm even happy with the sound out of the 3808 driving it all. I've lost some resolution and I don't get that goosebumps along my back feeling quite as often but overall, this is one helluva great sounding system. It somehow just does it all right. The only fault I can find is that it doesn't have as deep a soundstage as I would probably like, but the width is huge. Cranking the sound to -15 is really, really loud in my smallish room (133" x 18.5').
The Mags excelled at all things vocal with female vocals sounding amazing. They lacked in HT and hard rock. Where they lack, the Triple 8's dominate. Where the Mags excelled, the Triple 8's don't quite match, but they aren't that much worse. I've yet to listen to large orchestral pieces but I have the feeling they will sound amazing. Compared to the Revels, they are again not quite as detailed. I got the feeling with the M22's that I could hear farther into the music. However, the M22's would break up and sound a bit harsh when pushed to high levels. I prefer the Triple 8's in every way over the F32's but that isn't too big a surprise as they were my least favorite speaker. Anyway, I think I'll stick with these for quite some time. I'm also excited to move to the 80.1 with its balanced connections and dynamic eq and possible pro audyssey.

Very nice setup MLJ, this is OT but how do you like the Seymour screen. I am thinking of getting one of their fixed models (120"W) to use with my HD-100 (RS2). I know it's a little shy on the light output but I am holding off on a PJ replacement.

HToM

post #658 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Looks like 20% off all speakers from here until Dec. 7th.

It now appears to be 15%.
post #659 of 21413 Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygee View Post

It now appears to be 15%.

Hmm, I noticed some other people mentioning the 20% in another thread as well. I speculate if there has been a sort of supply-and-demand effect created from the news of the sale combined with the already recent hype. Whatever the case, it does indeed appear to be 15% now.

Mrlittlejeans - Thanks for your thoughts and comparisons. Very cool to hear of another happy customer. Hopefully I'll be able to share the same kind of review soon.
post #660 of 21413 Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone compared triple 8s to Klipsch Heresy IIIs? I've been following the pro speakers for HT threads with a lot of interest, and getting increased dynamics in my HT would be great. I'm wondering how the Triple 8s would stack up to the Heresys, which seem to have a loyal following for HT use. The sale price on the Triple 8s is very tempting, but so is the Holiday sale price on the Klipsch! Anyone have experience with both?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page