Official JTR speaker thread - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread
Kemet's Avatar Kemet 07:34 PM 12-06-2009
I will be powering the Q8 with the Emotiva XP-5 amp which does for 0.9Vrms at 300W @ 4Ohm below 0.1% THD.

At 9 ft listening distance that puts the volume at 114-117db from just 1 speaker, this assuming minimal compression effects from the speaker driver.

I am going to be deaf

Or do I need to get a pro amp to get another 3-6db @ 600-1200W??

steve morgan's Avatar steve morgan 09:42 PM 12-06-2009
hahaha i love deaf people

oooh never thought of spades ummm not sure the post is huge i think it would take 6 gauge wire so the spade would have to be very wide . you could always try and put the spade inside the hole ? or part of it .
allanf714's Avatar allanf714 10:20 PM 12-06-2009
Has anyone used one of Jeff's triples with one of the B&O ICE module based amps? They put out a pretty incredible amount of power into 4 Ohms.

You could almost give them close to recommended power for (dare I say--almost reasonable) $.

Allan
Mathelo's Avatar Mathelo 10:35 PM 12-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post

Has anyone used one of Jeff's triples with one of the B&O ICE module based amps? They put out a pretty incredible amount of power into 4 Ohms.

You could almost give them close to recommended power for (dare I say--almost reasonable) $.

Allan

I'll be using mine with the Wired 4 Sound 5 channel. 1,000 watts into 4 ohms.
Kemet's Avatar Kemet 01:36 AM 12-07-2009
Jeff,

Hope you have time to answer a few questions:

With the crossover design for the flushed cabinet what are the crossover frequencies for the T8 & Q8?

With the 4 8" woofers in the Q8 does the impedence curve challenge amps more than the T8 with dips below 4 Ohms?
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 09:53 AM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemet View Post

Jeff,

Hope you have time to answer a few questions:

With the crossover design for the flushed cabinet what are the crossover frequencies for the T8 & Q8?

With the 4 8" woofers in the Q8 does the impedence curve challenge amps more than the T8 with dips below 4 Ohms?

Crossover points for all the 2010 T8 and Q8 have been 500hz and 1600hz.

The Q8 is actually a little easier to drive because of the woofers being in series, parallel configuration.
goonstopher's Avatar goonstopher 09:55 AM 12-07-2009
My simple old onkyo 805 seems to be driving them fine...
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 12:41 PM 12-07-2009
These speakers are capable of some huge SPL even in the largest rooms. Playing them too loud in a small room will sound bad. Regardless of the space, playing them @ high SPL with insufficent power will lead to amp clipping and related distortion.

As with most things, finding the correct balance is the key. If you have a big room and like to listen at concert or movie reference levels, then you will need a adequate power.

If you like more moderate volume and have a smaller space, most any AVR will do but you will not be taking advantage of what the JTR's do best.
radman12's Avatar radman12 02:34 PM 12-07-2009
what do you guys set your jtrs at in your avr. do you run them as large or small? and crossed at what frequency
orcarola25's Avatar orcarola25 02:55 PM 12-07-2009
Kind of a stupid question? If your amp doesn't have a peak meter on it how could you test it for clipping?
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 02:57 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radman12 View Post

what do you guys set your jtrs at in your avr. do you run them as large or small? and crossed at what frequency

Triple 12HT LCR's, small with a 60hz xover.
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 03:04 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Triple 12HT LCR's, small with a 60hz xover.

and to small at 80hz with Triple 8HT's
fatsow's Avatar fatsow 04:23 PM 12-07-2009
Just ordered two Quins and a triple 8. Can't wait.

Thanks Jeff
Jedirun's Avatar Jedirun 05:50 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:

2010 Triple 8's crossed over at 80 hz. Audyssey always picks between 70 and 80 hz and I move it up to 80.
Mathelo's Avatar Mathelo 05:56 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

and to small at 80hz with Triple 8HT's

Does having / or not having a sub change this? i know they really need a sub but if you don't have that yet ...

Louis
pinktri's Avatar pinktri 05:57 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post

Just ordered two Quins and a triple 8. Can't wait.

Thanks Jeff

Congrats! You're gonna love em!
Jedirun's Avatar Jedirun 06:08 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

Does having / or not having a sub change this? i know they really need a sub but if you don't have that yet ...

Louis

I do not know if it is possible to hurt them, by running them large, but one of the trade offs that Jeff made in order to make them more efficient was to limit the low end extension since that is handled better by a subwoofer.

I am sure they will still sound great without a sub, but I do not think they will remotely make up for it.
goonstopher's Avatar goonstopher 06:08 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:

Louis

I am in the opposite, quints with a huge sub and as-eq1 with a second sub to come soon - I think I may cross the quints higher than recommended but thats the opposite situation.... Maybe someone could cover both of our questions
Mathelo's Avatar Mathelo 06:59 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

I do not know if it is possible to hurt them, by running them large, but one of the trade offs that Jeff made in order to make them more efficient was to limit the low end extension since that is handled better by a subwoofer.

I am sure they will still sound great without a sub, but I do not think they will remotely make up for it.

I'm not really expecting them to and will get sub (s) sooner rather than later but I won't have one at the very beginning. So, just wondering in that situation if running large would make more sense.

Louis
goonstopher's Avatar goonstopher 08:00 PM 12-07-2009
My worry would be that below the tuning frequency they may be over driven and also it may lead the amps to clip as they ask for more power.

I'm no expert though
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 07:57 AM 12-08-2009
Quote:

I'm not really expecting them to and will get sub (s) sooner rather than later but I won't have one at the very beginning. So, just wondering in that situation if running large would make more sense.

Louis

All JTR speakers were designed to be used with a subwoofer for HT. You will not get much output below the listed frequency range but they are about as bullet proof as speakers get so it won't hurt them to try.

I have run my 12HT's full range for music with good results. But for HT, get a sub(s).
Decadent_Spectre's Avatar Decadent_Spectre 03:04 PM 12-08-2009
Jeff could you please post a short comparison of the old T12,Q8 and the new T12 in terms of SPL/mid-bass/SQ? Particularly in relation to music?
Mathelo's Avatar Mathelo 04:35 PM 12-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

All JTR speakers were designed to be used with a subwoofer for HT. You will not get much output below the listed frequency range but they are about as bullet proof as speakers get so it won't hurt them to try.

I have run my 12HT's full range for music with good results. But for HT, get a sub(s).

Yea ... just have to decide.
MovieMike's Avatar MovieMike 04:52 PM 12-08-2009
Since the Slanted 8s are similar to Seaton's Sparks (8" coaxial), could those of you with the Slanteds tell me if 5 would work in an economical set up?
bioforce's Avatar bioforce 07:38 PM 12-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMike View Post

Since the Slanted 8s are similar to Seaton's Sparks (8" coaxial), could those of you with the Slanteds tell me if 5 would work in an economical set up?

While I haven't had anyone do it yet, nor have I seen anyone post they have, there is no reason it couldn't be done if:

1) You mount the speakers to account for the firing angle

2) You have a PREPRO or AVR that allows 100hz crossover settings

3) You have a sub or subs that play accurately up to and a little past 100hz.

Granted, they won't be as good as T8s and up, but they will blow a lot of other systems out of the water.
Mathelo's Avatar Mathelo 03:24 AM 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post

While I haven't had anyone do it yet, nor have I seen anyone post they have, there is no reason it couldn't be done if:

1) You mount the speakers to account for the firing angle

2) You have a PREPRO or AVR that allows 100hz crossover settings

3) You have a sub or subs that play accurately up to and a little past 100hz.

Granted, they won't be as good as T8s and up, but they will blow a lot of other systems out of the water.

What is the appropriate 'firing angle' for surrounds?

Louis
MovieMike's Avatar MovieMike 04:15 PM 12-09-2009
Thanks bioforce. I was thinking the same; the S8s (in a 5.1 config) should best a lot of other other run-of-the-mill set ups
Kemet's Avatar Kemet 05:57 PM 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Crossover points for all the 2010 T8 and Q8 have been 500hz and 1600hz.

The Q8 is actually a little easier to drive because of the woofers being in series, parallel configuration.

Thank you for the clarification, so in the T8 the woofers are in parallel only then?

I will have the Q8 center on a stand horizontally, all listening postions should be within 25 degrees off-axis of the center.

Any concerns of noteable lobing from around the crossover frequency of 500hz?
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 10:21 PM 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemet View Post

Any concerns of noteable lobing from around the crossover frequency of 500hz?

Nope, the woofers have some directivity in the long dimenson but no lopes and plenty of dispersion.
goonstopher's Avatar goonstopher 10:51 PM 12-09-2009
Hey Jeff,

Besides headroom what can I gain from more power?

Do you think that sitting 6-8 feet back that 150-200w is enough for the q8's

I am so happy with what I have that I am finally looking at amplification but have no money anyway so want to speculate about what I am/am not missing.
Tags: 215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop