post #61 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

I haven't received my JTR's yet but everyone seems to say the same thing about them: they don't need alot of power but they sure do like it. Now I'm not at all familiar with the SC-05/07 but if it has no issues with a 4ohm load then it should do the trick.

As for separate amps, many guys are happy with emotiva and it doesn't break the bank(the back maybe). Alternatively, you could look into some pro amps. Jeff recommended a few on his forum a while back. http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3546215

And you could always email Jeff. He's busy as hell but he always gets back to you eventually and usually very quickly. Hope this helped.

Well quite a few people run 4ohm speakers with the SC-05 / SC-07 but it is not officialy rated for it. Now different speakers spend different amount of time down at 4ohm - don't know the technical terms for putting that correctly so that is why I was asking for some specific JTR input.

I think I might go ahead and buy them and just be mentally (and financially) ready to get an amplifier if they start clipping.......

EDIT: I couldn't see if the Triple 8's are rear or front ported - maybe that is a given for you guys that are a bit smarter but not for me. The distance to the back-wall is a concern for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Well quite a few people run 4ohm speakers with the SC-05 / SC-07 but it is not officialy rated for it. Now different speakers spend different amount of time down at 4ohm - don't know the technical terms for putting that correctly so that is why I was asking for some specific JTR input.

I think I might go ahead and buy them and just be mentally (and financially) ready to get an amplifier if they start clipping.......

EDIT: I couldn't see if the Triple 8's are rear or front ported - maybe that is a given for you guys that are a bit smarter but not for me. The distance to the back-wall is a concern for me

Front ported. My first instinct tells me not to put any speaker against a wall but I've noticed some guys have done just that with their Triple 8's and they love 'em. That said, I still haven't noticed someone that was unhappy with any JTR product.

As for amps, I'm not at all sure of your budget or if you need two or three channels of amplification, but you can get some really nice two channel pro amps for pretty cheap.
post #63 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Front ported. My first instinct tells me not to put any speaker against a wall but I've noticed some guys have done just that with their Triple 8's and they love 'em. That said, I still haven't noticed someone that was unhappy with any JTR product.

As for amps, I'm not at all sure of your budget or if you need two or three channels of amplification, but you can get some really nice two channel pro amps for pretty cheap.

Any good suggestions -- I need it for the front three and I have other stuff to drive my zone 2 and 3 so all set there -- so I guess that means a 3 Channel amplifier

The issue for me is I need "online available" products since most brands are not carried up here in Alaska. Finding a decent amp is something I haven't managed. Now I will admit that the last 2 months have been spent researching projectors, screens, speakers, receiver and the amplifiers have not been in the research category.....
post #64 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On the commercial side, the only company that I'm aware of with a great rep that builds cheap amps is emotiva(not saying there aren't others). They make a three channel for $550 that will do 300x3 into 4 ohms.

As for pro amps, there are plenty choose from. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Jeff recommended QSC and Crest Audio. He also recommended Lap Gruppen but those are very expensive. Jeff specifically mentioned the QSC DCA 3402 and Crest Audio CA12, PRO 8200, PRO 7200 and CC4000. I'm not aware of your budget so I'm not sure which if any are right for you so may need to do a little digging. Best of luck.
post #65 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

I take it nobody is doing this. hmm that would mean I need to be ready to buy an amplifier if I buy the JTR's.

Any reccomendations on an affordable 3 channel amplifier that would be good for the JTR Triple 8's?

I have had several amps on the Triple 12LFs which are close in sensitivity but a little more demanding than the 888s. They are as follows: Adcom 5503 which does 350 watts/4 ohm, a QSC PLX 3402 over a 1000 watts and a Face Audio F700. Even with the lowest powered there was never an issue with get up and go. What the extra power gives you is almost complete freedom from compression, a few more dbs of output at the extremes, and a little more impact. Not a night day difference to my ears at all ymmv.

Also received my new 888s today upgraded from the 2007s I had. Like others have noted the midrange is definitely improved. I have heard some things on a couple of cds that had me doin a double take. I'll try some movies out soon but music to me is a much tougher sell.
post #66 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The Triple 8 has a +8 ohm average but those woofers make it have to be 4 ohm rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Also received my new 888s today upgraded from the 2007s I had. Like others have noted the midrange is definitely improved. I have heard some things on a couple of cds that had me doin a double take. I'll try some movies out soon but music to me is a much tougher sell.

Greg, double take?
post #67 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

The Triple 8 has a +8 ohm average but those woofers make it have to be 4 ohm rated.

Greg, double take?

Jeff then we probably have a deal

Need to do a double-check on the budget, but should be good
post #68 of 22439 Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Greg, double take?

I was breaking in the new 888s just playing music continuously, not listening critically. A few times I heard some details that I had not heard with my older 888s that had me stop what I was doin and replay the passage over again. Again listening this evening I continue to like what i hear
post #69 of 22439 Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 AM
hpc

Liked: 11
Jeff,

Any word on how the satin black finish turned out?

Cheers!

LDM

lon
post #70 of 22439 Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

For the JTR's would something like this be a waste of money?

http://www.rotel.com/NA/Products/Pro...=3&Tab=2&Pic=1

If my receiver is not capable of driving the speakers well what would my indications be to make sure I shut it down and get an amplifier before I damage them?

Thanks!
post #71 of 22439 Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
If you really like Rotel, get the higher output model. If not emotiva XPA-5 would be a good match at 350w @ 4ohms. All depends on how big is your room and how loud you want.

Jeff, I believe you are quite busy and I'm still waiting for your shipping quote to Malaysia. The reviews had make me itchy to dump my current speaker.
post #72 of 22439 Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

If you really like Rotel, get the higher output model. If not emotiva XPA-5 would be a good match at 350w @ 4ohms. All depends on how big is your room and how loud you want.

Jeff, I believe you are quite busy and I'm still waiting for your shipping quote to Malaysia. The reviews had make me itchy to dump my current speaker.

I agree. I would honestly go with at least the 1095 which is a pretty popular amp. You could find one used on Audiogon for around 1100. But, the way people talk about these Emotiva amps I am not sure that you should go for a Rotel. I have never owned an Emotiva amp but the power to price rating gets more and more appealing every day.
post #73 of 22439 Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the amplifier advice. The only reason I was looking at that Rotel was because it could be had used at a decent price. The XPA-3 Emotiva is probably the way to go - get it new under warranty for a good price.

Hoping not to need one, but won't know until the system is hooked up. My only remaining concern is how do I know for sure when I would damage the speakers.....
post #74 of 22439 Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Thanks for the amplifier advice. The only reason I was looking at that Rotel was because it could be had used at a decent price. The XPA-3 Emotiva is probably the way to go - get it new under warranty for a good price.

Hoping not to need one, but won't know until the system is hooked up. My only remaining concern is how do I know for sure when I would damage the speakers.....

You would have to be grossly clipping any of the Emotiva amplifiers (and not in the same room as the speakers ) for a very long period of time to have any chance of damaging the speakers, particularly if you have them crossed at 80Hz. Short of poking something through the cones, the T8s are more likely to hurt you than you hurt them.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #75 of 22439 Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry - clarification. I plan on using the speakers with my AVR and if I then need more power I would get the amplifier.

I take it the same thing would apply -- gossly clipping the AVR? (which actually will not be in the same room....
post #76 of 22439 Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Sorry - clarification. I plan on using the speakers with my AVR and if I then need more power I would get the amplifier.

I take it the same thing would apply -- gossly clipping the AVR? (which actually will not be in the same room....

I meant you would have to not be in the same room as the speakers to be able to either tolerate the level of sound coming out or to not know you were doing something bad. I can't imagine any situation of use with a common receiver having the potential to damage a T8.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #77 of 22439 Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you sir - much appreciated

That is all I needed to hear (now I need to figure out what the wife needs to hear to buy them )

I am ok if I have to buy an amplifier - I am better if I don't. The fact that I can figure it out after I buy the speakers is a good thing
post #78 of 22439 Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Short of poking something through the cones, the T8s are more likely to hurt you than you hurt them.

Now that you mention it, they do look kind of menacing ...

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #79 of 22439 Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk! View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark seaton View Post

you would have to be grossly clipping any of the emotiva amplifiers (and not in the same room as the speakers ) for a very long period of time to have any chance of damaging the speakers, particularly if you have them crossed at 80hz. Short of poking something through the cones, the t8s are more likely to hurt you than you hurt them.

now that you mention it, they do look kind of menacing ...

post #80 of 22439 Old 08-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I received my 3 triple 8s a couple of weeks ago and am still working on getting the most out of them. I really like them so far. Driving with 3 Marantz monoblocks (200 watts into 8 and 300 into 4 ohms). What I like best is the ease of sound.. no strain at any level I've tried yet.

I have two questions..first what are the advantages and disadvantages of crossing over to the subs at 80hz compared to 100hz? Either one better for dialogue? any other advangtages or disadvantages?

second, any suggestions for toe in for LR? They are 11 feet apart (minimum distance apart with screen position) at 24" high (on top of a pair of MFW 15 subs.. coax is in center position so LR coax at ear level) and the distance from the screen to the main seating is 12 feet. I have them toed in now about 20-25 degrees. Any thoughts on pluses minuses of greater or less toe in? (thx recommends pointing directly at the main listening postion.. but I've never done that before.)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Joe H

a few pics are attached
LL
LL
LL
post #81 of 22439 Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 AM

continuing to like the Triple 8s.
anyone have any thoughts on the question about crossover point of 80 vs 100hz?
thanks,
Joe H
post #82 of 22439 Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice set up! With regards to toe in the 888s have a large sweet spot so I would just try and toe in to reduce reflections off the side walls as they are close (the room treatments will obviously help). 80 vs 100hz will have little effect on dialogue it would do more to relieve some of the stress on the midbass.
post #83 of 22439 Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc View Post

Jeff,

Any word on how the satin black finish turned out?

Cheers!

LDM

Is this a new finish? Are there any details?
post #84 of 22439 Old 08-22-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

So as I keep looking at the JTR's I have a placement question. How "bad" would it be to place them on the floor? The room is 12W by 24L and a 7 inch riser for the back.

If I place them higher what are the preferred ways and how high should they be placed? I kind of have to build this ahead of time as I am putting up a frame for the screen etc so appreciate any input.

Thanks
post #85 of 22439 Old 08-22-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So as I keep looking at the JTR's I have a placement question. How "bad" would it be to place them on the floor? The room is 12W by 24L and a 7 inch riser for the back.

If I place them higher what are the preferred ways and how high should they be placed? I kind of have to build this ahead of time as I am putting up a frame for the screen etc so appreciate any input.

Thanks

I used to have 888s layed horizontally about a foot off the ground before I had my AT screen. On the floor is worst cast scenario because it way below ear level. The 888s have a wide sweet spot so it can be worked around. I used door stops to angle them up and then a laser leveler to line them up to ear level.

If on stands you can sit down and measure the height where your ears are. The tweeter is optimum at ear height so about 24" stands should work great. I have mine 36" high due to placement restrictions so I'm angling mine downwards but again not the type of speaker where if you move your head a couple of inches and the sweet spot is gone.
post #86 of 22439 Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks 24 inches stands will work for the R / L with no problem.

I have more of a limitation on the Center since it needs to be below the screen. I need to get my drawing, but I think top part of the center (horizontally placed) can not be higher than 30 inches
post #87 of 22439 Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks 24 inches stands will work for the R / L with no problem.

I have more of a limitation on the Center since it needs to be below the screen. I need to get my drawing, but I think top part of the center (horizontally placed) can not be higher than 30 inches

If you have the coax mounted in the center for all 3 of your speakers, then 24 inch mounting is perfect for the L and R. If you have a 30 inch top height limit for the center yours is almost the same as mine. I put the center horizonal with the top just at the bottom edge of the screen and angled up so that the coax center points directly at ear level. This style of speaker (according to the experts on here) is one of the few that works very well as a horizontal. I used a VTI center stand which has a six degree angled top plate and by adjusting the feet was able to get it positioned perfectly.

Good luck... they will work really well like that.
Joe H
post #88 of 22439 Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Thanks

As everyone has said the alignment of the LCR coaxial driver's is important as well as having the coax as near as possible to LP ear height. I have 12LF's and my left and right (mains) have the coax in the top position (special order) with the center channel's coax positioned normally in the middle. When I originally purchased these, I had an AV cabinet with all of my equipment under the center so this alignment was preferred. I have since moved the equipment outside the room and had to build the stand you see in the picture below to bring the LCR coaxes into alignment.

As the T8's are only 26 tall I think it would be a good idea to place them on stands but with your 30 height limitation for the center, that is a pretty short stand. I'd do mock ups (temp stands) with all vertical (LCR) placement and angle them up a bit and see how that sounds before trying the horizontal center.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #89 of 22439 Old 08-25-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah I was really considering a perforated screen to put the speakers behind, but decided not to do so. So now I have the 30 inch limitation to get the center below the screen.

Think it will work good anyways, but we shall see. Appreciate all the feedback
post #90 of 22439 Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Has anyone given some thought to a 2010 or 2011 T10 possibility? No rumor starting here, just thinking out loud. I figure that there is such a jump from the T8's to the T12's (pricewise) why not a T10. I am sure there are other technical factors involving the use of 10" for floorstanders or big bookshelves as that does not seem to be the norm. But then, 3 12s isn't either.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page