Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

Steve Morgan,

What did you not like about the JTR I believe you went with JBL LSR

i would not say i did not like the jtr they just lack that 5% that gets mention alot around here . in other word they lacked fine details some mid blending and i dont like compression tweeters . just was not my flavor . i did give my opinion side by side of the dyns but it was not completely fair it was one against one (did not have a pair) for what one speaker gave the other took etc . the biggest thing i dont like about the dyns was there reserved vocal while the jtr was foward . the jtr is a very capable speaker to me it just needs more refinement (detail a better blending) see my other post it might help . in this price range it is horrably difficult to find speakers that do everything well . yes you are right i tried a set of JBL lsr6332 and i would have had to eat shipping back if i did not like them . but i do like them i was very sceptical because everyone was like just look at the white papers on them look at there measured spec they should be great but what do i know ? i am no pro . i just know what sounds good to me and i am very picky about good blending of the mid and tweeter and mid accuracy and fine detail.i would give up spl for a more accurate detailed . but i listen to alot of music and if you put something in with multible singers fine instruaments you can pick up on whats missing thats just me though . i have not givin a real opinion on the jbl yet as i have a cold and have not had the time but i was very surprised how smooth they are and a few recording i know very well shocked me one of the songs has a passage where there is a left to right what i always thought was an instrument playing was not it was the singer whispering the tone very cool. they really do play pretty loude with no harding or staighn i dont think they would give any forwarning they are being overdrivin till they blew up no distortion i was at 100 spl at the listening position .
this is a jtr thread not a jbl so off i go . this is by no means a thunbs down on the jtr they where just not my taste they are a great product and i did very seriously consider them jeff is a stand up guy and this is hopefully just the beginning of his product line and home audio is his newest venture .i would not be surprised to own a jtr product one day . see what i mean that probably just confused you even more it just comes down to taste if you bought them you would not be unhappy i dont think anyone has sent them back because they dont like them . if you are upgrading what i would call a lesser speaker than you would be very happy they are a good speaker and belong in there price catagory and only a few in this price range have there capabilitys for clean clear spl . did i mention 3 jtrs could probably tear your head off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have another observation:

For the first time ever "loud" is not loud enough.

What I mean is I generally get to a point where I go, ouch - thats where I am stopping with the volume. With the JTR's I am noticing that just doesn't happen. My receiver is now blocked out of view and when I move things to look at it I am anywhere from -2 to 0 with the JTR's (which are actually calibrated hot anyway). In the past the highest I got was -5. They just don't make you FEEL like it is too loud. It's great for me but horrible for the renters sharing my house.

Time to get the spl meter out and confirm all of this then watch some more movies.
post #903 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Video wise I have a JVC HD-100 (RS2) and a nice Stewart 130 screen. I am trying to resist the temptation to "upgrade as that is an area where the technology is moving very fast. I had one of the new Vivitek LED based projectors in my room for demo a couple of months ago and although over priced, it was very impressive for a 1st generation product.

I have a Sunfire TGA 7400 amp driving my speakers and two pro audio amps driving the Caps/Danley's. I have gone to a 9.1 speaker setup and need some more amp channels. I am considering going Ice powered there with either a D-Sonic or Wyred 3 channel unit to power my LCR's and let the Sunfire drive the rest.

As for the DTS-10, I actually prefer the dimensions of the TH-SPUD and adding the Captivators pushed the system over the top LFE wise. Like my speakers, I'm pretty happy with the subwoofer status quo.

So your sonically enlightened? At peace with what you have with no desire for more. Indeed a rare breed on these forums!

For the PJ I think you should hold onto the RS2 for another year and let the tech mature, I reckon next year the products will be a lot better, this years PJs don't seem that much better than last years with only marginal improvements.

9.1 setup? What are you using apart from the T12 LCR? S8s?
post #904 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I have another observation:

For the first time ever "loud" is not loud enough.

What I mean is I generally get to a point where I go, ouch - thats where I am stopping with the volume. With the JTR's I am noticing that just doesn't happen. My receiver is now blocked out of view and when I move things to look at it I am anywhere from -2 to 0 with the JTR's (which are actually calibrated hot anyway). In the past the highest I got was -5. They just don't make you FEEL like it is too loud. It's great for me but horrible for the renters sharing my house.

Time to get the spl meter out and confirm all of this then watch some more movies.

Are your 3 Q8s overpowering for a 1700 cubic feet room?

In my experience if the sound is undistorted then you are able to take in a lot more SPL before feeling thats too much. How are you liking the speakers?
post #905 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

So your sonically enlightened? At peace with what you have with no desire for more. Indeed a rare breed on these forums!

For the PJ I think you should hold onto the RS2 for another year and let the tech mature, I reckon next year the products will be a lot better, this years PJs don't seem that much better than last years with only marginal improvements.

9.1 setup? What are you using apart from the T12 LCR? S8s?

Sonically satisfied might be a better description and that is also rare.

My 9.2 system includes the standard LCR plus surrounds, surround backs and adds the height channel. I currently have a pair of S8’s as height speakers and the effect on the front sound stage is dramatic (see post 916).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #906 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

Are your 3 Q8s overpowering for a 1700 cubic feet room?

In my experience if the sound is undistorted then you are able to take in a lot more SPL before feeling thats too much. How are you liking the speakers?

Like them a lot. I dont have surrounds right now but they still trick me into thinking something happened beside me at times, it;s freaky.

If anything they sound too quiet. Meaning they just get loud so easy that I am left wanting more but when I check with the SPL meter WOW, I don't need anymore ha.
post #907 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Like them a lot. I dont have surrounds right now but they still trick me into thinking something happened beside me at times, it;s freaky.

If anything they sound too quiet. Meaning they just get loud so easy that I am left wanting more but when I check with the SPL meter WOW, I don't need anymore ha.

Maybe just once you can pump it up to 125-130db at LP to see what its like

Of course it does carry risks....

I listen at regular levels of 100-105 at LP and sometimes into the 115 range (I know I'm just asking for it...) but 115 is roughly the limit of my current speakers.
post #908 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I am scared to go to loud because I am afraid of a dynamic peak causing my weak amp to clip. I only have an onkyo 805 and while it should put out somewhere around 200w for the 4ohm load I am just being careful
post #909 of 23410 Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Sorry datgai I do need to read posts in their entirety before replying.

No worries. I thought I covered quite a bit in my initial post without writing a novel... If you have any specific questions about the SQ, just ask.

-Tim
post #910 of 23410 Old 12-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My Q8 and T8 are in transit. Should be here today or tomorrow!!!
post #911 of 23410 Old 12-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

Please do post pics and a review!
post #912 of 23410 Old 12-22-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Rmk,you said you used the french cleat method so you had to drill new holes in your spks? ouch!!!
post #913 of 23410 Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I wish that were me. Haven't heard when my q8 and t8 will ship. Having just one T8 for a center is just a big tease. Sounds way to good to go it alone.
post #914 of 23410 Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Rmk,you said you used the french cleat method so you had to drill new holes in your spks? ouch!!!

That is one of the reasons I love these speakers. These are not your father's delicate little MDF, laminated, faux furniture finished pretty boy speakers. These are bring on the roadies, go ahead and try and put a dent in me, knock you on your butt, blow out your ear drums crunch time speakers. Be afraid M/Fers, be very afraid...

Now, if you're getting the new MDF wood laminated models, you have a point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #915 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

I wish that were me. Haven't heard when my q8 and t8 will ship. Having just one T8 for a center is just a big tease. Sounds way to good to go it alone.

Haven't arrived yet. Should be here today.
post #916 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That is one of the reasons I love these speakers. These are not your father's delicate little MDF, laminated, faux furniture finished pretty boy speakers. These are bring on the roadies, go ahead and try and put a dent in me, knock you on your butt, blow out your ear drums crunch time speakers. Be afraid M/Fers, be very afraid...

Now, if you're getting the new MDF wood laminated models, you have a point.

But drilling a few holes on the back shouldn't be a big deal.
post #917 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

When you do something like that to a spk its hard to re-sell it,but I think most of us are going to keep are JTRs,I agree there a tough spk!!
post #918 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

But drilling a few holes on the back shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote:

When you do something like that to a spk its hard to re-sell it,but I think most of us are going to keep are JTRs,I agree there a tough spk!!

Apparently the point of my sarcasm (above) was lost so I will attempt to explain. You only need two holes and they should not be drilled through (although that would not matter if properly patched). The speakers can be patched (epoxy or black silicon) and even carefully touched up with Line-X patch to look good as new. That is the whole point of the rugged finish and why Jeff suggested the french cleat in the first place.

With my audiophile gear, I would worry about finger prints (DON'T TOUCH THE SPEAKERS ) or even just dusting the piano black surfaces and leaving swirl marks thereby significantly devaluing the speakers. For me this is especially ironic as I have done fine woodworking in a past life and by comparison, most "audiophile" speakers are cheap mass produced furniture grade. I am so done with that BS.

post #919 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 07:44 AM

RMK,

How do your new updated T12s sound in comparison to the old ones?
post #920 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I recognize that is a potential issue but you have to do what is necessary to work in your room. If we worried about resale value on everything, we we'd all be living in homes with white walls and cookie cutter floorplans.
post #921 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I know alot of people like me buy & resell eq all the time ,I just thought it might scare a buyer with holes in it,but with the finish that jtr uses all you would need is a little truck bed liner.That wasnt real sarcasm was it?
post #922 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

RMK,

How do your new updated T12s sound in comparison to the old ones?

Since the updated tweeter and crossover I suppose the HF are a bit cleaner but it is really very close. I was pretty happy with original T12LF's but the grass is always greener...no?

Quote:

I know alot of people like me buy & resell eq all the time ,I just thought it might scare a buyer with holes in it,but with the finish that jtr uses all you would need is a little truck bed liner.That wasnt real sarcasm was it?

It was, I use only 100% USDA (Dept. of Audio) approved sarcasm.

post #923 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I spent way too much time on the 2010 Triple 12. I can't wait to get them in people hands and hear what they think. Had a new custom piece tooled to improve the high frequency transition within the coaxial.

Everyone ask what my favorite is and the answer is always my newest addition.
post #924 of 23410 Old 12-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

I spent way too much time on the 2010 Triple 12. I can't wait to get them in people hands and hear what they think. Had a new custom piece tooled to improve the high frequency transition within the coaxial.

Everyone ask what my favorite is and the answer is always my newest addition.

Jeff,

What are shipping times now? I ordered a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

Wes
post #925 of 23410 Old 12-24-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Jeff,

Thanks

Wes

+1 regarding pre Dec. 7 orders.
post #926 of 23410 Old 12-24-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:

Jeff,

Thanks

Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygee View Post

+1 regarding pre Dec. 7 orders.

I'll give your dealer a call, I received the orders on the 8th. Shoot me over an email. Talk to you guys soon. Thanks.
post #927 of 23410 Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 AM

Matte Black finish and Speaker Stands:
post #928 of 23410 Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Matte Black finish and Speaker Stands:

Jeff,

I may need a pair of those stands for my T8 Wides.

Louis
post #929 of 23410 Old 12-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

I spent the better part of Christmas Eve setting up the Q8s as LCR and Christmas Day setting the T8s up as Wides (I needed to make temporary speaker stands). You can see the setup below. The JTRs are very nicely finished. The stained Cherry finish was darker than I was expecting but in the end we (that includes my wife!) liked it a lot.

Hopefully soon I will be taking delivery of 6 S8s that will go in as Surrounds, Rears, and Heights. I do not yet have subs in the system

Impressions -

Keep in mind that I'm coming from the small speakers that were hanging off the side of my Pioneer 151. The 151 speakers are only adequate and they emphasize the upper end of the FR. Prior to this - several years ago now - I had Acoustat 1+1 electrostats. While the Acoustats had no low end and restricted dynamics, they were incredibly transparent; definitely high on the goose bump scale for female vocals and big soundstage. I always enjoyed the upper end harmonics with the Acoustats.

The Acoustats were used primarily for music but they were also recruited for HT duty. In that role, they were much better than the dinky TV speaker of the day but their limited FR and dynamics were obvious. The Q8/T8 combination is a very different speaker for me given what I've currently been listening to and my preference for the transparent sound of electrostats - at least for music.

Once the JTRs were setup and Audyssey corrected to my room (more on that later) I immediately listened to a bit of music through my Oppo 983H. I have to say I was disappointed. The speakers sounded closed in' or laid back. My first test is always female vocals that, when done the way I like it, has a very clear breathy quality to it that gives me goose bumps. With the Q8 I got none of this. The vocals were in a box. This was nothing like the open and airy sound of an electrostat but I knew I wasn't going to get that.

At this point it was getting late, I was tired and I was ready to use the speakers for what I had bought them for, home theater. So we put on Terminator Salvation.

Holly Crap! I was probably listening to this louder than I should have but this movie rocked the house. These speakers go much lower than I expected. Understand that I don't yet have subwoofers and I have little experience with low frequency transducers - remember my Acoustats - but the Q8/T8 combination got the job done. For a moment I put off the idea of even getting subs (just for a moment )

For HT, I can't imagine needing much more than this combination plus subs for the lower octaves. They were very clear and dynamic and they didn't draw attention to themselves. The FR seemed correct. The experience was immersive, which is what we were looking for.

After several more movies I can say I'm well satisfied with these speakers for HT use but I was still unhappy with them for music playback. While most of our listening these days is with the television on, a weakness in music reproduction is not a fatal flaw but I still thought it should be better.

I have read on these forums that many do not like the impact Audyssey has on the JTRs so some additional investigation was in order. I should also note that my AVR and amp are new to me as well. They could have an impact I don't yet recognize.

You can see from this picture that Audyssey has made, what appears to me at least, to be some pretty extreme adjustments.

This may be a result of my room, which hasn't been treated in any meaningful way. In any case I put Audyssey into manual mode and manually adjust the FR with significant boosts in the midrange and up. This was just an experiment to see if my problem was with the speakers or something else in the chain so my adjustments were rough but I'm very pleased to say that I was able to correct for most of what was concerning me.

I'm not going to get that airy and breathy quality that I use to get with my Acoustats but I was able to get them to a much more than satisfactory level for listening to music. The vocals are now out of the box with a great deal more presence. I clearly have some more testing to do and room treatments are probably in order but these speakers do what I need and then some.

I miss the sound of my electrostats for music but I seldom sit and listen to music the way I use too. And for HT, electrostats just don't cut it.

For Home Theater use I am thrilled with the JTR performance. I can't wait until the S8s arrive so I can finish this setup. And oh yea, need to make up my mind on the subs.

Count me as a very happy JTR customer.

Louis
LL
LL
post #930 of 23410 Old 12-27-2009, 02:57 PM

How much do the Q8's weigh?
Reply Speakers

Tags