Official JTR speaker thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 23388 Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 304
For anyone interested in hearing a full JTR setup first hand, I will be having an AV Meet at my home near Sacramento on Saturday October 10th. Jeff Permanian has agreed to fly out and we will be EQing the system using my SMS-1 and Audyssey Pro in conjunction with my Integra SSP’s Audyssey Multi EQ. With Jeff’s guidance, the system should be sounding as good as is possible in the space.

Keith Yates who lives near me has indicated he will also attend. As many of you know, Keith is a veritable fount of AV knowledge and his company has designed and built some of the finest Home Theaters in the country.

The cherry on top of this meet is that Vivitek has agreed to provide the new H9080FD LED based projector for demo. We will be using this unit instead of my JVC HD100 (RS2) for the video side demos. The F9080HD is just being released and is the first of a new generation of LED based projectors that will be coming to market.

I will be posting more details in the Area Theater Meets section of the forum this weekend. Space is limited so please PM me if you would like to attend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 23388 Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

For anyone interested in hearing a full JTR setup first hand, I will be having an AV Meet at my home near Sacramento on Saturday October 10th. Jeff Permanian has agreed to fly out and we will be EQing the system using my SMS-1 and Audyssey Pro in conjunction with my Integra SSP's Audyssey Multi EQ. With Jeff's guidance, the system should be sounding as good as is possible in the space.

Keith Yates who lives near me has indicated he will also attend. As many of you know, Keith is a veritable fount of AV knowledge and his company has designed and built some of the finest Home Theaters in the country.

The cherry on top of this meet is that Vivitek has agreed to provide the new F9080HD LED based projector for demo. We will be using this unit instead of my JVC HD100 (RS2) for the video side demos. The F9080HD is just being released and is the first of a new generation of LED based projectors that will be coming to market.

I will be posting more details in the Area Theater Meets section of the forum this weekend. Space is limited so please PM me if you would like to attend.

I'm much too far away to make that trip but let me be the first to request......lots of high quality pics.

RMK, I assume by then you are expecting to have the Slants and Captivators also installed yes?

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #93 of 23388 Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I'm much too far away to make that trip but let me be the first to request......lots of high quality pics.

RMK, I assume by then you are expecting to have the Slants and Captivators also installed yes?

Will take photos for sure but I'm working on something even better. Details to follow ...

Yes, the Captivators and Slanted 8's will be delivered/installed well before the meet (hopefully Jeff is nodding his head in agreement).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 23388 Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

Has anyone given some thought to a 2010 or 2011 T10 possibility? No rumor starting here, just thinking out loud. I figure that there is such a jump from the T8's to the T12's (pricewise) why not a T10. I am sure there are other technical factors involving the use of 10" for floorstanders or big bookshelves as that does not seem to be the norm. But then, 3 12s isn't either.

I think it would hurt sales. People now make a pretty easy decision one or the other if you introduce 10s then either the 12's will take a hit or the 8s. Not to mention being a small operation then you have more cabinets and drivers to inventory, just my thoughts.
post #95 of 23388 Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 79
RMK, man you are not playin around! Your meet sounds like an awesome event on a number of different levels.
post #96 of 23388 Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

I think it would hurt sales. People now make a pretty easy decision one or the other if you introduce 10s then either the 12's will take a hit or the 8s. Not to mention being a small operation then you have more cabinets and drivers to inventory, just my thoughts.

I can definitely see your points. My thoughts are strictly from a consumers perspective. I wouldn't think that cabinet design and manufacturing would be costly, but I do think R&D and procurement for a 10" design would probably be a bit much for a smaller company like JTR. But I could be wrong. Can anyone chime in on whether (on the business side) there is a comparable market out there for 10" driver components in Home Theater?
post #97 of 23388 Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've thought about a Triple 10 however the Triple 8 and Triple 12 are already so close in output. All ready on the R&D table is the new Growler/Capitvator driver, all new Triple 12 and the Quintuple.
post #98 of 23388 Old 08-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Will take photos for sure but I'm working on something even better. Details to follow ...

Yes, the Captivators and Slanted 8's will be delivered/installed well before the meet (hopefully Jeff is nodding his head in agreement).

I would love to attend, but also way too far away.. (st. Louis)..
looking forward to everything you post about it.
Joe H
post #99 of 23388 Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman222 View Post

Joe H

That would be a bit of a journey.

I just posted info on the AV Meet here. I believe you have to be logged onto AVS to view the (Area Home Theater Meets) Forum Section.

post #100 of 23388 Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman222 View Post

Joe H

I'm in the same boat(New Orleans). I hope you guys have a great time(shouldn't be too hard) and I'm certain we're all looking forward to hearing(and hopefully seeing) about it.
post #101 of 23388 Old 08-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My biggest disappointment with my Triple 12LF's in trying to find a speaker stand to get the speakers up off the floor about 12-14". Ordered the VTI center for the L&R speakers and they are a total POS and will not work with the speakers. The center in on the floor, horizontally with the front wedged up about 4" or so. Not the perfect placement for these speakers but I am trying to figure something out.

Any ideas for stands to get the L&R up about 14"??

--JK
post #102 of 23388 Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

My biggest disappointment with my Triple 12LF's in trying to find a speaker stand to get the speakers up off the floor about 12-14". Ordered the VTI center for the L&R speakers and they are a total POS and will not work with the speakers. The center in on the floor, horizontally with the front wedged up about 4" or so. Not the perfect placement for these speakers but I am trying to figure something out.

--JK

My $.02

Considering the size/weight of the T12LF's, I think you are out of luck with commercial speaker stands. Two of a heavy duty model might do it but building one isn't difficult. If you don't have the skills/tools, a small cabinet shop (or handyman neighbor) could give you exactly what you want for the same or less $$$ than a good grade commercial speaker stand.

post #103 of 23388 Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

My $.02

Considering the size/weight of the T12LF's, I think you are out of luck with commercial speaker stands. Two of a heavy duty model might do it but building one isn't difficult. If you don't have the skills/tools, a small cabinet shop (or handyman neighbor) could give you exactly what you want for the same or less $$$ than a good grade commercial speaker stand.

That is the next move for sure. It'll be inexpensive and easy to do I just hope it looks OK.

--JK
post #104 of 23388 Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

That is the next move for sure. It'll be inexpensive and easy to do I just hope it looks OK.

--JK

Measure twice, cut once

post #105 of 23388 Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:

--JK

I know when I get mine I am definitely going to go that route.
I think that these commercial stands that are out are way overpriced.
I believe that with just a limited amount of tools, some creativity
, and patients you can make a nice DIY stand.

Just make sure the base is wide enough to eliminate tipping
hazards if those monsters.
post #106 of 23388 Old 08-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Measure twice, cut once

Or maybe three. Better yet four!!!
post #107 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Hi all,

Armed with limited knowledge I am trying to decide what speakers to buy for my home theater. Almost all the reviews of the JTR Triple 8HT speakers have been very positive, so they have made my short list of candidates.

I have read in more than one place that they sound better with a large power supply. I have an Integra DTR 7.8 receiver (and an A7-900 sub). Will this receiver supply enough power to permit the Triple 8's to perform? My room is only 2000^3, and opens to another 1000^ft room. (I do like high output.) I am just getting a little nervous when I read in some posts of people who have 1000 watts or so powering these speakers - The Integra isn't even in that ballpark, and I don't have enough knowledge to know if I'd be ok with a DTR powering the 888's. Plus, I just bought the Integra, and the sub, so an upgrade is unlikely for a long time. The wife has been gracious enough to indulge me this far

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks

Pat
post #108 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

--JK

I would look into Sound Anchor stands. Custom built to order. They would look great with these speakers (i.e. the four post stands).

http://www.soundanchors.com/
post #109 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Ive had three 09 Triple 8's for some months now. They are simply the best speakers ive ever heard for movies. And today I should be getting my slanted 8's in to complete my setup. Im running a Denon 2809 and an Emotiva xpa3. My receiver will be powering my slanted 8's. When I first got these speakers I owned an older Panasonic 50 inch plasma. Now I have a 100+ inch screen with a JVC Rs2. The speakers alone motivated me to make a dedicated theater. Maybe im in the minority on this but im looking for another set of speakers that I can run for music without having to run a subwoofer. The triple 8's just dont have what im looking for in music listening.
post #110 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

Ive had three 09 Triple 8's for some months now. They are simply the best speakers ive ever heard for movies. And today I should be getting my slanted 8's in to complete my setup. Im running a Denon 2809 and an Emotiva xpa3. My receiver will be powering my slanted 8's. When I first got these speakers I owned an older Panasonic 50 inch plasma. Now I have a 100+ inch screen with a JVC Rs2. The speakers alone motivated me to make a dedicated theater. Maybe im in the minority on this but im looking for another set of speakers that I can run for music without having to run a subwoofer. The triple 8's just dont have what im looking for in music listening.

What are they lacking for music that are making them the best movie speakers you've ever had?
post #111 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

The triple 8's just dont have what im looking for in music listening.

What don't they do for your music? Just curious, not questioning you.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #112 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

I would look into Sound Anchor stands. Custom built to order. They would look great with these speakers (i.e. the four post stands).

http://www.soundanchors.com/

Those are some very expensive choices for stands

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #113 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Those are some very expensive choices for stands

Agree. But worth every penny. I have three up front for my Klipsch THX Ultra 2 L/C/R's. Very solid foundation.
post #114 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Agree. But worth every penny. I have three up front for my Klipsch THX Ultra 2 L/C/R's. Very solid foundation.

I am sure they are a solid foundation, but a local metal fabricator might be able to do a similar stand for quite a bit less money. You would have to call around.

Of course, I am a cheapskate, and until today, I had my LCR speakers on cinder blocks.

post #115 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLPat View Post

Hi all,

Armed with limited knowledge I am trying to decide what speakers to buy for my home theater. Almost all the reviews of the JTR Triple 8HT speakers have been very positive, so they have made my short list of candidates.

I have read in more than one place that they sound better with a large power supply. I have an Integra DTR 7.8 receiver (and an A7-900 sub). Will this receiver supply enough power to permit the Triple 8's to perform? My room is only 2000^3, and opens to another 1000^ft room. (I do like high output.) I am just getting a little nervous when I read in some posts of people who have 1000 watts or so powering these speakers - The Integra isn't even in that ballpark, and I don't have enough knowledge to know if I'd be ok with a DTR powering the 888's. Plus, I just bought the Integra, and the sub, so an upgrade is unlikely for a long time. The wife has been gracious enough to indulge me this far

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks

Pat

I will tell you tomorrow. I will be powering my Triple 8's with Audiosource Amp 300's. They are similar in power to your receiver. Doing the math, I should be able to reach reference level at my listening position with a single Triple 8 and 40 watts.

I would give you a more direct comparison with my Onkyo TX-NR905, but I just spent a couple of days setting it up to be used as a preamp driving the amps, and there has not been an appreciable difference with my old speakers. (Not that I would expect much of a difference). Anyway, the 10 watt difference in the amplifiers should not make much a difference compared to the 1000 watt system mentioned by others.

Other people have said that receivers drive them just fine.

post #116 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using 5 T8's in a 12000 CF space - each is powered by a QSC RMX850 in mono mode - (830 peak watts) - going to be hooking them up tomorrow. Should be interested to see how loud they can go.

Verum postulo res.
post #117 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

I'm using 5 T8's in a 12000 CF space - each is powered by a QSC RMX850 in mono mode - (830 peak watts) - going to be hooking them up tomorrow. Should be interested to see how loud they can go.

That should be impressive. What type and how many subs are you using?

I am hoping my 3 T8's and 235 watts rms each in my 1700 cubic foot room will also be impressive tomorrow.

post #118 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Only two MFW-15's actually - it's a situation where subs aren't really part of the equation to begin with. We'll see how it sounds.

Verum postulo res.
post #119 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 PM

I hate to be the only naysayer but...... having ordered a 7.1 T8/S8 system on July 9th (with prepayment).... and promised a shipping date "the first week in August." It's now Sept and nothing. Starting to get a little frustrated Anyone else in the same boat?

Allan
post #120 of 23388 Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Allen

I offered to ship your Triple 8's out a month ago but you wanted the complete system to ship at the sametime. The new 2010 Slanted 8's took a bit of R&D and the first off the production line will be shipping tomorrow. I'll email you tracking numbers.

Thanks,

Jeff
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page