Official JTR speaker thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard the 2008 version of the JTR T8's, and any Salk speakers (preferably HT-2TL's). I have the Salks now and love the way they sound, but they are lacking a little in output and dynamics in my room (15x30 with a side wall mostly open to a room the same size). I saw some JTR T8's for sale (2008 version) and was contemplating trying them out. I listen to about 70/30 HT/Music. I power my speakers with a NHT power5, and have 2 MFW-15 subs. Any input would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Dave thats a nice deal.

I would buy them and sell them if you don't like it after paying that price. If I had money now I would be making an offer on 2 of them for my surrounds
post #1173 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Dave thats a nice deal.

I would buy them and sell them if you don't like it after paying that price. If I had money now I would be making an offer on 2 of them for my surrounds

Do you feel confident I could get my money back if I did not like them? I would still love to hear if anyone has heard both and has a comparison. If they aren't an improvement over the salks it is a waste of time. My money situation isn't that great right now and I would rather not tie up that money if they aren't a real possible repacement for my current speakers

post #1174 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

ah ok.

Salks are expensive so I figured you might be one of the high rollers common around here (not me ha).

Salks were my original first choice based on reviews then I could not afford them and finally found the JTR's.

I can't offer any speculation as I have 2010's and never heard the salks
post #1175 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 PM

Anybody in the Metro Detroit area have any JTR's?

post #1176 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone know of cheap (less than $100) surrounds that can keep up with T8's. Audyssey sets my T8 to -12db.
post #1177 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

ah ok.

Salks are expensive so I figured you might be one of the high rollers common around here (not me ha).

Salks were my original first choice based on reviews then I could not afford them and finally found the JTR's.

I can't offer any speculation as I have 2010's and never heard the salks

Aren't the JTRs more expensive than the Salk STs? Or are we talking about something like the HT3?
post #1178 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

Aren't the JTRs more expensive than the Salk STs? Or are we talking about something like the HT3?

I have the Salk HT2-TL's which start at $4000 a pair. They are basically ST's on steroids with ribbon tweaters. They sound awesome for music but are lacking some output and dynamics for HT in a large room in my opinion.

post #1179 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM

I can only conjecture...

Moving from 87db to 98db sensitivity (~2V/1m), yes for 100% HT would absolutely recommend the JTR's to get the dynamics, and output scale you crave.

On music it is much more tricky as the Salk's are well respected and you find them awesome for music. With a ribbon tweeter it likely has an airiness not present in the JTR's for classical and acoustic recordings. The midrange may also be sweeter than the 2008 T8s. But if your preference is for rock music or watching live concert dvds, then there likely would be no trade-offs with the JTR's winning at higher volume levels as the Salk's start compressing.
post #1180 of 21255 Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 PM

I have heard the Salks as well as the 2009 and 2010 T8s. For music, the Salks are terrific and hard to beat at their price point. I did not hear them in an HT environment but I can assume with their lack of sensitivity they would compress in a challenging dynamic range. I own a pair of 2010 T8s and they sound great for music to me. Just not as sweet as the Salks. But as people have stated the dynamics really can make up for what would be a slight lack in detail. The T8's do a terrific job with voicing and acoustic instruments as well IMHO. The good thing is that the voicing is smooth at any volume.

As far as the difference between the 2010s and the older ones. I would say their is a definite audiable difference between the two. The 2010 T8s are quite a bit smoother and more detailed.
post #1181 of 21255 Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt View Post

Has anyone heard the 2008 version of the JTR T8's, and any Salk speakers (preferably HT-2TL's). I have the Salks now and love the way they sound, but they are lacking a little in output and dynamics in my room (15x30 with a side wall mostly open to a room the same size). I saw some JTR T8's for sale (2008 version) and was contemplating trying them out. I listen to about 70/30 HT/Music. I power my speakers with a NHT power5, and have 2 MFW-15 subs. Any input would be great. Thanks

For HT the JTRs should be better but I can't say about the 2008 models as there have been a lot of refinements to the speaker from what I gather.

Music is a very personal choice and largely depends on your personal preferences for sound and the type of music you hear.

For me personally no consumer grade speaker at any price will ever come close to stuff like JTR as I like it loud and I listen to EBM/Synthpop which is quite stressful on speakers. I have heard multiple consumer speakers at various price points (with material I know very well) fall to its knees (at low and high volumes) due to the type of music they are being asked to reproduce yet those same speakers sound a *LOT* better with stuff like soft rock or country or jazz or classical than they did with EBM.

Often in such cases when I go to demo the speakers the store managers stare in disbelief at what their "Hi-Fi" speaker is putting out.

If you like the soft kind of music then you may be better off with consumer speakers which excel at such types of music but if you like electronic/metal/punk etc then IMO JTRs will wipe the floor with consumer home speakers as pro speakers excel with such music. Judging by what I've read JTR ups the ante by incorporating the SQ of consumer designs into a pro design.

Just how much SQ it adds can only be understood by hearing them.
post #1182 of 21255 Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

Anyone know of cheap (less than $100) surrounds that can keep up with T8's. Audyssey sets my T8 to -12db.

Bump
post #1183 of 21255 Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

anyone have the specs to the older triple 8's (2008)...size, sensitivity, frequency range, etc...

Thanks
post #1184 of 21255 Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Quote:

Bump

You're kidding yourself if you expect anything that cheap to honestly "keep up" with T8s... Unless you use them like Texas headphones.

There are certainly some inexpensive speakers available, but don't expect them to be an ideal match. If you just need to get something running until you can add in a more ideal match I would suggest the budget Insignia 6.5" coax speakers from Best Buy. There are a few out there who have posted improved crossover designs which also can make significant improvements, although I would not recommend wasting money on exotic crossover parts.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #1185 of 21255 Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

You're kidding yourself if you expect anything that cheap to honestly "keep up" with T8s... Unless you use them like Texas headphones.

That is funny!

I heard a rumor that a couple of Terraform XL's might be landing in Berkeley. That would be

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #1186 of 21255 Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

There are certainly some inexpensive speakers available, but don't expect them to be an ideal match. If you just need to get something running until you can add in a more ideal match I would suggest the budget Insignia 6.5" coax speakers from Best Buy. There are a few out there who have posted improved crossover designs which also can make significant improvements, although I would not recommend wasting money on exotic crossover parts.

Mark,

Funny you mention those. That's exaclty what I am using until I replace them with S8's as I go and as money comes along.

I got the submersive dialed in and she's sounds spectacular. When u gonna sell me a second at half price? That would help me send some more $ to jeff for S8's and T8's. Heehee.

Wes
post #1187 of 21255 Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Hey all,

Haven't had much desire for new gear since I got my amazing Seaton SubMersive a year and half ago - it effectively cured my upgraditis, at least for subwoofers (I had gone through an SVS PB12-NSD, dual HSU VTF-3.3, dual PB13 Ultras, and an Epik Conquest before finding sonic bliss with the SM). I've been pretty happy with my Rocket 850/200/450 setup for 5.1 HT but have remained very curious what improvement if any the JTR speakers could provide, and yesterday I could not resist buying three barely used 2010 Triple 8HT's to try out as the front stage. I've enjoyed the aesthetics of the rosewood Rockets but if these JTR's live up to even part of the hype I suspect I will learn to live with the truck bed liner finish.

The Rockets have performed well for HT. After living with them for 2 years I would say that they remain really good value for the dollar (all 5 speakers for about 2k), but from everything I've read with the Triple8's I expect more detail in the treble (Rockets seem rolled off and laid back), more sense of effortlessness and dynamic headroom when played at -5 from 85db reference or higher, and I'm hoping for a bit more authority in the 80-160hz range (most label this upper bass). Right now my crossover is 100hz for all five Rockets because the SubMersive has more dynamic power in this range, but I expect with the Triple8's I will go down to 80hz.

The room is 2500cf sealed (but leaky with lots of windows and glass-paned doors), treated with 6 GIK TriTraps and 3 panels and has heavy fabric chairs, curtains, and heavy carpet and pad, so there is little to no echo or ringing. Source is almost always Blu-ray movies with lossless sound on the Oppo BDP-83 with a Denon 3808 as pre/pro and power from an Earthquake Cinenova Grande.

I should have the speakers in hand a week from Friday and will post impressions and comparisons to the Rockets.

Cheers,
Ross
post #1188 of 21255 Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

Hey all,

Haven't had much desire for new gear since I got my amazing Seaton SubMersive a year and half ago - it effectively cured my upgraditis, at least for subwoofers (I had gone through an SVS PB12-NSD, dual HSU VTF-3.3, dual PB13 Ultras, and an Epik Conquest before finding sonic bliss with the SM). I've been pretty happy with my Rocket 850/200/450 setup for 5.1 HT but have remained very curious what improvement if any the JTR speakers could provide, and yesterday I could not resist buying three barely used 2010 Triple 8HT's to try out as the front stage. I've enjoyed the aesthetics of the rosewood Rockets but if these JTR's live up to even part of the hype I suspect I will learn to live with the truck bed liner finish.

The Rockets have performed well for HT. After living with them for 2 years I would say that they remain really good value for the dollar (all 5 speakers for about 2k), but from everything I've read with the Triple8's I expect more detail in the treble (Rockets seem rolled off and laid back), more sense of effortlessness and dynamic headroom when played at -5 from 85db reference or higher, and I'm hoping for a bit more authority in the 80-160hz range (most label this upper bass). Right now my crossover is 100hz for all five Rockets because the SubMersive has more dynamic power in this range, but I expect with the Triple8's I will go down to 80hz.

The room is 2500cf sealed (but leaky with lots of windows and glass-paned doors), treated with 6 GIK TriTraps and 3 panels and has heavy fabric chairs, curtains, and heavy carpet and pad, so there is little to no echo or ringing. Source is almost always Blu-ray movies with lossless sound on the Oppo BDP-83 with a Denon 3808 as pre/pro and power from an Earthquake Cinenova Grande.

I should have the speakers in hand a week from Friday and will post impressions and comparisons to the Rockets.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross,

GOOD SCORE. I bet I have an idea where those are coming from. I think you'll be impressed with them compared to the Rockets.

And while it isn't often mentioned here in the JTR thread, the Earthquake CINENOVA is one of the best "all around" amps you could use with your JTR's.

Lots of power, LOW LOW distortion, and no fans to drive you crazy. As well it is damn close to audiophile quality music wise. I have the same amp in my HT.

You may need stands or pedestals to get the correct height.

Please give us your impressions when you "light them up" with the CINENOVA.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #1189 of 21255 Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post

Ross,

GOOD SCORE. I bet I have an idea where those are coming from. I think you'll be impressed with them compared to the Rockets.

And while it isn't often mentioned here in the JTR thread, the Earthquake CINENOVA is one of the best "all around" amps you could use with your JTR's.

Lots of power, LOW LOW distortion, and no fans to drive you crazy. As well it is damn close to audiophile quality music wise. I have the same amp in my HT.

You may need stands or pedestals to get the correct height.

Please give us your impressions when you "light them up" with the CINENOVA.

Thanks John! I've been pleased with how the Cinenova has opened up the Rockets, and with the 4ohm load of the JTR's I'll have 600 watts flowing, should be fun

You probably saw these Triple 8's on eBay and several forums the last week. I was actually surprised they did not sell quicker, must be a sign of the continued lag in the economy.

Cheers,
Ross
post #1190 of 21255 Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

Hey all,

Cheers,
Ross

That's great Ross, I am looking forward to your impressions.

Will you continue to use the 450's as surrounds?

HToM

post #1191 of 21255 Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
You will not have 600 watts flowing unless you are using them at their max and I doubt you will be listening that loud. I bet the most you will use is 200 watts and maybe 300 watts. Typical movies will require half that with these speakers.
post #1192 of 21255 Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

You will not have 600 watts flowing unless you are using them at their max and I doubt you will be listening that loud. I bet the most you will use is 200 watts and maybe 300 watts. Typical movies will require half that with these speakers.

Absolutely, there's no way I will use all 600 watts in my room with such efficient speakers, but as you know from your own system it's a nice feeling to have plenty of power in reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That's great Ross, I am looking forward to your impressions.

Will you continue to use the 450's as surrounds?

Ha, your posts are one of the reasons my wallet is lighter now Along with Mark Seaton's high regard for his friend Jeff's speakers.

The Rocket 450's work well as surrounds in my current system with a very spacious sound, but their more laid-back treble is not going to match well with the JTR's so if I end up loving and keeping the Triple 8's I will eventually add the S8's as surrounds to replace the 450's. I will probably set up a pair of Ascend 340SE's I have laying around as temporary surrounds when I am running the listening tests on the JTR front stage because these have a neutral and extended treble that will likely be a better tonal match.

This is going to be an interesting comparison

Cheers,
Ross
post #1193 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 AM

I've been looking to put a system together of 7 T-12's on stands with coax mid position with 2 S-8's for height channels using Earthquake amp to drive T-12's and Integra 80.1. I have 3 Mirage crossovers - 3 channel version for front and 2 2 channel versions for LS-LR and RS-RR where I would split bass off to 1 Cap sub for L surround and one for R surround. Also split bass off front three channels to their own Cap sub or send the center bass signal into the L and R subs. Use Face Audio amps for subs. Then use 1 or 2 Seaton Terraform XL's for the .1 LFE channel. Room is 16x27.
post #1194 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothman View Post

I've been looking to put a system together of 7 T-12's on stands with coax mid position with 2 S-8's for height channels using Earthquake amp to drive T-12's and Integra 80.1. I have 3 Mirage crossovers - 3 channel version for front and 2 2 channel versions for LS-LR and RS-RR where I would split bass off to 1 Cap sub for L surround and one for R surround. Also split bass off front three channels to their own Cap sub or send the center bass signal into the L and R subs. Use Face Audio amps for subs. Then use 1 or 2 Seaton Terraform XL's for the .1 LFE channel. Room is 16x27.

Is this post someone fantasy or reality haha...

not that I know much but I would suggest using the integras bass control and not have caps for different channels. If you prefer you can split the LFE between a growler and a couple terraform's but you will actually loose bass control and equalization between channels unless you plan on having individual equalizers professionally set up for each channel.
post #1195 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sounds like you want full-range capability for each channel (all channels running large) plus extra subs for the LFE channel. i've been using such a system since 97 and love it. i would never go back to using a bass management sub/sat set-up

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #1196 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

sounds like you want full-range capability for each channel (all channels running large) plus extra subs for the LFE channel. i've been using such a system since 97 and love it. i would never go back to using a bass management sub/sat set-up

Exactly. Bass info is there in each channel and I would rather have it coming from that channel and still have a powerful LFE only channel. I actually have 2 Parasound 1205's for 7 Legacy Studios and Parasound 2003 for LCR Legacy dual 12" subs and 2 powered Legacy dual 12" subs for L-R surrounds and powered 15" Legacy sub for LFE. All this stuff NEVER USED. I could set it up and swap out parts as I upgrade to JTR speakers or sell it off first. Trying to decide.
post #1197 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be quite a system . Your room isn't huge (unless you have 20' ceilings), so I think you could easily drop down to T8's for the surrounds without sacrificing much if anything.

That said, I would love to hear a seven T12 setup.

HToM

post #1198 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 04:40 PM

I know this is a loaded question to ask in this thread - but I will ask anyway.

Do speakers like the Triple 8HT's really give one the same sound quality as a $3,000 pair of towers from companies like Paradigm or other 'home audio' companies?

I ask in the context of a dedicated HT (not a music system) where the goal is to have unlimited headroom, very low distortion, and ultimately very accurate sound.

Does a small company like JTR have the ability to design a speaker as well as the big dogs? I do not mean that as an insult, just a sincere question.

I love the idea of pro speakers for a HT system (and I have been looking at things like the JBL Pro 3678 with a 4645C sub or two) - but I am scared the sound may just be lacking the detail and ultimate pleasantness one gets from better 'home' speakers.
post #1199 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I had paradigms, studio 60's so not $3000 but decent, and for HT at moderate volumes I would call it even. At higher volumes is where the gap widens. Standard speakers seemed to break up at loud levels or seem stressed, the JTR's seemed like they were taking a nap when the paradigms would be about to pass out. For harder music the difference is even wider. I like NIN, metalica, ect and that for one is a different world with the jtr's, much clearer
post #1200 of 21255 Old 01-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

I had a set of Paradigm Studio 100's v3 for several years in my room behind a 130x55 AT screen. Putting T12's in their place is definitely an upgrade for HT. I was (am) using a Anthem P5 amp which is 5 mono blocks each rated at 325 @ 8 ohms and 500 @ 4 ohms's (for those who are calculating is has two power chords) so the 100's had plenty of power. They just sound right. For music they definitely have their own "voice" but every speaker does. For pure HT, clear, dynamic, loud when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post

I know this is a loaded question to ask in this thread - but I will ask anyway.

Do speakers like the Triple 8HT's really give one the same sound quality as a $3,000 pair of towers from companies like Paradigm or other 'home audio' companies?

I ask in the context of a dedicated HT (not a music system) where the goal is to have unlimited headroom, very low distortion, and ultimately very accurate sound.

Does a small company like JTR have the ability to design a speaker as well as the big dogs? I do not mean that as an insult, just a sincere question.

I love the idea of pro speakers for a HT system (and I have been looking at things like the JBL Pro 3678 with a 4645C sub or two) - but I am scared the sound may just be lacking the detail and ultimate pleasantness one gets from better 'home' speakers.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page