Official JTR speaker thread - Page 457 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread

Speakers

carp's Avatar carp
11:07 AM Liked: 608
post #13681 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 5,628
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So I'm in the process of changing over from a standard 112" 16:9 screen sitting 13.5' away, and now with the stage I build and false wall I'll be sitting 11.5' from a 115" screen. It took a little while to get use to it, but now myself and even my wife like it better. You feel more immersed in the movie.

Your room is pretty close in size to mine too.


Yeah I agree that you get used to being close, my head is 11' 6" from 158" 2:35:1 screen. I am nervous about going AT for a few reasons, one is that i'll be 2 feet closer. However I bet I'd adjust to that too and I could go a bit smaller... don't want to go much smaller though.
ufokillerz's Avatar ufokillerz
12:20 PM Liked: 45
post #13682 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 1,535
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglechad View Post

From reading several posts and gtg reviews, I'm leaning towards buying a pair of jtr 228s for my living room. Here is a photo of the room. Thinking of putting the jtrs in the built ins and removing the door panels to make room. Is this doable or would the jtrs not work in this configuration? I was hoping since they are front ported having them on bookshelves would not be an issue.

i jacked this photo from the JTR forums, but i do NOT think you will have a problem.


DreamWarrior's Avatar DreamWarrior
02:48 PM Liked: 53
post #13683 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 728
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Had a forum member over yesterday to listen to the system and had a good time. Found the limits of my signal chain though and experienced some clipping. I have the gains turned down so far on the LG that at fairly ridiculous SPL's I get clipping somewhere. Not sure if amp or AVR, but I suspect the latter. I ran into it when I first cranked the gains down to get rid of a hiss from my Denon, but by turning the amp gains up 5 or 6 dB it solved it for my typical listening volumes, so I haven't worried about it. The volumes were a bit spirited during this session though and I found the new limits biggrin.gif.

I'm not going to do anything about it though since the answer to the problem is a new preamp and I don't want to raise my noise floor anymore and ruin my late night listening sessions with that hiss. Kind of bums me out that I have to gimp my system due to the Denon, but I guess it will motivate me to just get the preamp sooner rather than later. To be honest, I had thought I had more headroom than that, even with the LG cranked down like that. I hate limits. But for now I'll just deal with it with the thought that the volumes we were hitting to reach the clip point couldn't really be considered healthy for the ears anyway...smile.gif
That would be me biggrin.gif. And, by your request, I will post my impressions.

First, I would like to say thanks a ton for having me; it was a ton of fun -- like being at our own personal concert for a few hours. And the beer was cheaper, haha!

As for the JTR's -- well, I will say the general "they are loud and dynamic" commentary is certainly more than well deserved. These things cranked and never once sounded out of sorts. That said, in comparison to the Triad Platinums I recently had a chance to listen to (thanks CraigJohn if you're reading) I'd have to say that the Triad's had a "smoother" sound, if that makes any sense. Problem is, as Gooddoc and I were discussing at his place, it's really hard to tell how much of that is the room and how much the speaker. Craig's room is very well treated, Gooddoc's room is more lively, much like my own. The beauty of this is that were I to put the JTR's into my room, they would likely sound more similar to how I heard them than what I heard of the Triads. Which is to say, if I dropped the Triad's in my room, I could certainly not expect to hear anywhere near what I heard in Craig's. Without a doubt, though, the Traid's have nothing on the JTR's in terms of shear output capacity. Of course, I say this and most people on here probably say, "no $hit, tell us something we don't already know."

I'll quickly compare the two rooms, because, like I said, the rooms are so different that I have a hard time differentiating room from speakers. Before I do though, I will say I loved both demos and for different reasons. I can only hope to achieve what either of these two very awesome guys have done! If I get anywhere close, I'd be a ton happier than where I am now.

Gooddoc's room sounded very good, and for rocking out it was absolutely incredible! I demo'd my favorite Breaking Benjamin track (Away) and easily found Gooddoc's "clip point" because the clarity was so crazy. Afterwards, we both had to take a quick break to let our ears cool off, lol. This song on the Triad's had quite a different character -- on them, all the content was there, and it was very exceptionally clear, but I wanted so much more output and neither Craig nor I was sure the speakers (or Craig's amp) had it in them to deliver it. I'll also mention that Gooddoc's bass response was so taught; he integrated his subs splendidly with the JTR's! Though I think my preference would have been to kick the house curve up a notch (or six, lol), especially with as much power he has on tap! But, I know I'm of the rare "ULF-tard" variety, lol.

That said, what Craig's room lacked in shear output, it made up for in the intimate moments. For example, Damien Rice's "Volcano" just sucked me right into the recording. At Gooddoc's, the track had all the pieces, but almost felt...clinical. Though, it's so hard to say how much of that intimacy was created because of the Traids and how much was because Craig's room is so exceptionally well treated. He has both a fantastic dedicated room and exceptional speakers. Poor Gooddoc and I have to do the best we can with our non-dedicated rooms, and I must say, Gooddoc has done superbly!

So...I guess I'm still up in the air -- on standby, I suppose. Fortunately, Gooddoc says treatments are coming. He may even invite me to help him and we can observe the transition together. Maybe afterwards I'll be even more smitten with the JTR's. Right now, though, if I'm being honest, money no object and someone twisting my arm, I'd probably chose the Triad's in a treated room and save my hearing. However, that could certainly all change in a heartbeat if the JTR's in a treated room come just a bit closer to the intimacy of the Triad+treated room combo. My guess is, there's a really good chance they will, as both speakers are very well engineered for accurate response. I hope the JTR's+treated room combo provides the best of both worlds -- intimate when desired and concert when required.
carp's Avatar carp
03:03 PM Liked: 608
post #13684 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 5,628
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

That would be me biggrin.gif. And, by your request, I will post my impressions.

First, I would like to say thanks a ton for having me; it was a ton of fun -- like being at our own personal concert for a few hours. And the beer was cheaper, haha!

As for the JTR's -- well, I will say the general "they are loud and dynamic" commentary is certainly more than well deserved. These things cranked and never once sounded out of sorts. That said, in comparison to the Triad Platinums I recently had a chance to listen to (thanks CraigJohn if you're reading) I'd have to say that the Triad's had a "smoother" sound, if that makes any sense. Problem is, as Gooddoc and I were discussing at his place, it's really hard to tell how much of that is the room and how much the speaker. Craig's room is very well treated, Gooddoc's room is more lively, much like my own. The beauty of this is that were I to put the JTR's into my room, they would likely sound more similar to how I heard them than what I heard of the Triads. Which is to say, if I dropped the Triad's in my room, I could certainly not expect to hear anywhere near what I heard in Craig's. Without a doubt, though, the Traid's have nothing on the JTR's in terms of shear output capacity. Of course, I say this and most people on here probably say, "no $hit, tell us something we don't already know."

I'll quickly compare the two rooms, because, like I said, the rooms are so different that I have a hard time differentiating room from speakers. Before I do though, I will say I loved both demos and for different reasons. I can only hope to achieve what either of these two very awesome guys have done! If I get anywhere close, I'd be a ton happier than where I am now.

Gooddoc's room sounded very good, and for rocking out it was absolutely incredible! I demo'd my favorite Breaking Benjamin track (Away) and easily found Gooddoc's "clip point" because the clarity was so crazy. Afterwards, we both had to take a quick break to let our ears cool off, lol. This song on the Triad's had quite a different character -- on them, all the content was there, and it was very exceptionally clear, but I wanted so much more output and neither Craig nor I was sure the speakers (or Craig's amp) had it in them to deliver it. I'll also mention that Gooddoc's bass response was so taught; he integrated his subs splendidly with the JTR's! Though I think my preference would have been to kick the house curve up a notch (or six, lol), especially with as much power he has on tap! But, I know I'm of the rare "ULF-tard" variety, lol.

That said, what Craig's room lacked in shear output, it made up for in the intimate moments. For example, Damien Rice's "Volcano" just sucked me right into the recording. At Gooddoc's, the track had all the pieces, but almost felt...clinical. Though, it's so hard to say how much of that intimacy was created because of the Traids and how much was because Craig's room is so exceptionally well treated. He has both a fantastic dedicated room and exceptional speakers. Poor Gooddoc and I have to do the best we can with our non-dedicated rooms, and I must say, Gooddoc has done superbly!

So...I guess I'm still up in the air -- on standby, I suppose. Fortunately, Gooddoc says treatments are coming. He may even invite me to help him and we can observe the transition together. Maybe afterwards I'll be even more smitten with the JTR's. Right now, though, if I'm being honest, money no object and someone twisting my arm, I'd probably chose the Triad's in a treated room and save my hearing. However, that could certainly all change in a heartbeat if the JTR's in a treated room come just a bit closer to the intimacy of the Triad+treated room combo. My guess is, there's a really good chance they will, as both speakers are very well engineered for accurate response. I hope the JTR's+treated room combo provides the best of both worlds -- intimate when desired and concert when required.


Cool review DW!

I'm lucky enough to be getting a demo of Craig John's room (along with Archaea) here in a few weeks, can't wait. I won't get to hear Gooddoc's but I'll get to meet him at Gorilla's GTG that same weekend - oh, and to top it off we'll be at Popolock's too. That weekend will not suck. cool.gif

Ok, back to the 212 Triad comparison. I noticed an improvement with the 212's for sure when I added panels on the side walls for both first and second reflections and did the same for first reflections on the ceiling. I used to use a bit of manual eq on a lot of artists I like to listen to, but no longer needed to when I got the treatments so I bet you will like the 212's at lower volumes even more in a treated room. Will they sound as good as the Triad's? I don't know but I sure am looking forward to getting to hear them as well as meet Craig. smile.gif
steveko23's Avatar steveko23
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #13685 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 35
Joined: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post

When you put the speakers in a false wall (the baffle of the speaker is flush with the wall), then the need for space behind speaker doesn't exist anymore as the false wall is the back wall.
As far as the 212's needing space, to open them up with high SPL's then yes you would need more space (like an auditorium smile.gif). My limited experience and what I have read says that a great sounding speaker like the 212 also sounds great at low to moderate volumes for music and is ready for the big dynamics of movies.
If I had the money I would own a pair.

When my screen was 120" diag. I sat 10 feet from the screen. I suppose it is possible I am not very susceptible to seeing pixels, screen material etc. but I am somewhat picky without being obsessive. I am much more picky about the sound, which is why I suggest the false wall and room treatments.
Personally I would sit at 10-12 feet from the screen which leaves you a little more room for the surrounds, but that's just me and everyone has different tastes. Experimenting my be a good idea for you.
As an example I sit 14 feet from my 200" diagonal and would go to 12 if it wouldn't throw off my LCR setup. When you think of this when coming from a TV your first thought is "how could I possibly sit that close with that big of a screen?". Believe my you can and will want to! If 4k ever gets going it will be the symmetry of the sound system that dictates the seating distance, not the resolution of the projector.

To sum up for me, I would like to have a 300" screen. Unfortunately it is just not practical.

By the way, where do you live?

Hope all this helps.

Yeah this helps a great deal. I'm now strongly leaning towards building a false wall and getting the 212 LPs so I can place them up against the back of the wall with the screen right in front of them so the false wall only needs to be as far away from the real wall at the 212's are deep (plus a little space for wires, toe in). I think that will give me the extra space I was worried about the 212's needing. I had thought they would have had to go in front of the angled wall which would have put them 3-5' closer to my seating position than they will be behind the screen. Plus I'd guess the wife will appreciate them being hidden, having larger screen, not having to worry about the kid knocking them over etc. So quite a few benefits to this approach.

I live in Ohio (in dayton, work in cincy, parent live in cols, extended family in cleve). I think I've seen some people in this thread who live somewhere in OH so hopefully I'll be able to get out and listen to someone's setup at some point down the road.

Thanks!
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369
03:29 PM Liked: 80
post #13686 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 1,715
Joined: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveko23 View Post

Yeah this helps a great deal. I'm now strongly leaning towards building a false wall and getting the 212 LPs so I can place them up against the back of the wall with the screen right in front of them so the false wall only needs to be as far away from the real wall at the 212's are deep (plus a little space for wires, toe in). I think that will give me the extra space I was worried about the 212's needing. I had thought they would have had to go in front of the angled wall which would have put them 3-5' closer to my seating position than they will be behind the screen. Plus I'd guess the wife will appreciate them being hidden, having larger screen, not having to worry about the kid knocking them over etc. So quite a few benefits to this approach.

I live in Ohio (in dayton, work in cincy, parent live in cols, extended family in cleve). I think I've seen some people in this thread who live somewhere in OH so hopefully I'll be able to get out and listen to someone's setup at some point down the road.

Thanks!

Frohlich lives in Cincinnati and his system looks very impressive...

I used to live in Cincinnati, but have been in Knoxville for 6 years. I have the Noesis 212HT. If you wanted to come down this way, I would be more than happy to give you a demo. smile.gif
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
03:32 PM Liked: 1202
post #13687 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 6,599
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

That would be me biggrin.gif. And, by your request, I will post my impressions.

First, I would like to say thanks a ton for having me; it was a ton of fun -- like being at our own personal concert for a few hours. And the beer was cheaper, haha!

As for the JTR's -- well, I will say the general "they are loud and dynamic" commentary is certainly more than well deserved. These things cranked and never once sounded out of sorts. That said, in comparison to the Triad Platinums I recently had a chance to listen to (thanks CraigJohn if you're reading) I'd have to say that the Triad's had a "smoother" sound, if that makes any sense. Problem is, as Gooddoc and I were discussing at his place, it's really hard to tell how much of that is the room and how much the speaker. Craig's room is very well treated, Gooddoc's room is more lively, much like my own. The beauty of this is that were I to put the JTR's into my room, they would likely sound more similar to how I heard them than what I heard of the Triads. Which is to say, if I dropped the Triad's in my room, I could certainly not expect to hear anywhere near what I heard in Craig's. Without a doubt, though, the Traid's have nothing on the JTR's in terms of shear output capacity. Of course, I say this and most people on here probably say, "no $hit, tell us something we don't already know."

I'll quickly compare the two rooms, because, like I said, the rooms are so different that I have a hard time differentiating room from speakers. Before I do though, I will say I loved both demos and for different reasons. I can only hope to achieve what either of these two very awesome guys have done! If I get anywhere close, I'd be a ton happier than where I am now.

Gooddoc's room sounded very good, and for rocking out it was absolutely incredible! I demo'd my favorite Breaking Benjamin track (Away) and easily found Gooddoc's "clip point" because the clarity was so crazy. Afterwards, we both had to take a quick break to let our ears cool off, lol. This song on the Triad's had quite a different character -- on them, all the content was there, and it was very exceptionally clear, but I wanted so much more output and neither Craig nor I was sure the speakers (or Craig's amp) had it in them to deliver it. I'll also mention that Gooddoc's bass response was so taught; he integrated his subs splendidly with the JTR's! Though I think my preference would have been to kick the house curve up a notch (or six, lol), especially with as much power he has on tap! But, I know I'm of the rare "ULF-tard" variety, lol.

That said, what Craig's room lacked in shear output, it made up for in the intimate moments. For example, Damien Rice's "Volcano" just sucked me right into the recording. At Gooddoc's, the track had all the pieces, but almost felt...clinical. Though, it's so hard to say how much of that intimacy was created because of the Traids and how much was because Craig's room is so exceptionally well treated. He has both a fantastic dedicated room and exceptional speakers. Poor Gooddoc and I have to do the best we can with our non-dedicated rooms, and I must say, Gooddoc has done superbly!

So...I guess I'm still up in the air -- on standby, I suppose. Fortunately, Gooddoc says treatments are coming. He may even invite me to help him and we can observe the transition together. Maybe afterwards I'll be even more smitten with the JTR's. Right now, though, if I'm being honest, money no object and someone twisting my arm, I'd probably chose the Triad's in a treated room and save my hearing. However, that could certainly all change in a heartbeat if the JTR's in a treated room come just a bit closer to the intimacy of the Triad+treated room combo. My guess is, there's a really good chance they will, as both speakers are very well engineered for accurate response. I hope the JTR's+treated room combo provides the best of both worlds -- intimate when desired and concert when required.

Nice review, can someone please remind me how much the Triad Platinum's cost again?
audio0947's Avatar audio0947
03:45 PM Liked: 33
post #13688 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 507
Joined: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Nice review, can someone please remind me how much the Triad Platinum's cost again?
About $7,500 each. eek.gif
Gooddoc's Avatar Gooddoc
04:09 PM Liked: 403
post #13689 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 4,206
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

That would be me biggrin.gif. And, by your request, I will post my impressions.

First, I would like to say thanks a ton for having me; it was a ton of fun -- like being at our own personal concert for a few hours. And the beer was cheaper, haha!

It was great to have you over! I asked you to think about writing your impressions since most enthusiasts are always interested in comparative impressions and these exchanges are valuable to folks thinking about putting down a lot of hard earned cash on a set of speakers. You own neither of the speakers and those are the most valuable comparos IMO. Owners bias is ever present biggrin.gif.

The Triad Plat's are well designed speakers anyone would be happy to own and it didn't surprise me at all to hear you felt they have some strengths over the 212's. It will be interesting to see whether room treatments can close that gap a little. I suspect it will, but probably not completely given the most excellent dome tweeter in those Plat's. No doubt I have way too much reflective room energy up top that is clearly heard, so we'll see with the treatments what happens. To get the best from the 212's I need them, that's for sure.

That listening session was the most I'd pushed my system since my latest sub optimization and I have to admit the cleanliness and articulation of the bass took me by surprise. You remember the drums on that Jeff Beck disc?, lol. I thought that was just sick. Every beat on those machine-gun drum kicks seemed perfectly reproduced - no smearing. It was like a percussive back massage. If I can get the 212's to that level with room treatments I'll be done. Stick a fork in me. See, owner's bias rears its ugly head tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
DreamWarrior's Avatar DreamWarrior
04:15 PM Liked: 53
post #13690 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 728
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 View Post

About $7,500 each. eek.gif
Yep, and that's rub #2. My room is just like Gooddoc's -- untreated. To pay $15k on speakers and drop them into an untreated room seems...well like the room is unworthy. Moreover, I'd much rather have a best-of-both-worlds system. Intimate and concert-like -- in my opinion Craig's get's the nod to the former and Gooddoc's, without a doubt, the latter. I think with some treatment, though, Gooddoc's may be my ideal system.

To throw in another monkey wrench, I still haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Seaton's. So, they may also be a good in-between. Got to love options, lol....
MX48's Avatar MX48
04:17 PM Liked: 33
post #13691 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 431
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Plus I'd guess the wife will appreciate them being hidden

You can also integrate the subs into the baffle wall as well and they will also be hidden. With the S1 or S2 the sub(s) are on the same side so it could be part of the baffle wall. They are only 16 1/4 inches deep so will fit easily.

I just finished (a few hours ago, took 2 weeks) putting my subs into my baffle wall. Took all my drivers out of sealed boxes and horns which were scattered around the room and I built 6 IB's into it. Sounds like a completely different system, for the better. I am a horrible carpenter and just watched my first movie with it and no creaks or rattles so far...that is a miracle in itself! Ran REW sweeps and the initial response was much flatter so less eq'ing. For my room it must be something about having the subs pointing into the room at 2 levels. I do have a suckout at about 9hz which I am sure is because of the room size.

If you have the carpentry skills, which I don't I just muddled my way thru it, it is an excellent way to go. Plus much cheaper (top notch IB drivers are about $250 each and I would start with 4, and you don't need a boatload of amp power either) and there is no trick to it, very simple build just square boxes. Only hard part is cutting the holes for the drivers. The downside is once they are in they can't be easily moved so you want to be sure to get them right the first time.

Also to get the low stuff is really hard and can be expensive, I use Crowson Tactile Transducers and am very happy with them. They are a bit expensive but have a 30 day return policy and will pay the shipping both ways if you don't like them.
MX48's Avatar MX48
04:22 PM Liked: 33
post #13692 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 431
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
To get the best from the 212's I need them, that's for sure.

I think you will shocked at the improvement in sound quality. I was with my system. By all accounts that I have read the 212's are great speakers and that can only make them better.
DreamWarrior's Avatar DreamWarrior
04:25 PM Liked: 53
post #13693 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 728
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

It was great to have you over! I asked you to think about writing your impressions since most enthusiasts are always interested in comparative impressions and these exchanges are valuable to folks thinking about putting down a lot of hard earned cash on a set of speakers. You own neither of the speakers and those are the most valuable comparos IMO. Owners bias is ever present biggrin.gif.

The Triad Plat's are well designed speakers anyone would be happy to own and it didn't surprise me at all to hear you felt they have some strengths over the 212's. It will be interesting to see whether room treatments can close that gap a little. I suspect it will, but probably not completely given the most excellent dome tweeter in those Plat's. No doubt I have way too much reflective room energy up top that is clearly heard, so we'll see with the treatments what happens. To get the best from the 212's I need them, that's for sure.

That listening session was the most I'd pushed my system since my latest sub optimization and I have to admit the cleanliness and articulation of the bass took me by surprise. You remember the drums on that Jeff Beck disc?, lol. I thought that was just sick. Every beat on those machine-gun drum kicks seemed perfectly reproduced - no smearing. It was like a percussive back massage. If I can get the 212's to that level with room treatments I'll be done. Stick a fork in me. See, owner's bias rears its ugly head tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
Yeah man! I think you probably hit the nail on the head -- there are some bright spots and it's so hard to tell if they come from the speakers or the room. My guess, as yours, is the room is probably a great influence there, especially at volume. And, yes, your bass is exceptionally articulate! I'm amazed how good you got it without bass traps, absolute kudos, I can only hope to achieve that in my room!

Owners' bias or not, you should be proud of that room of yours. While your highs could use some work, the response you've achieved in your bass is outstanding. I have no doubt you'll (or we'll if you like) get it perfect by tinkering with treatments.
Gooddoc's Avatar Gooddoc
04:42 PM Liked: 403
post #13694 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 4,206
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post

I think you will shocked at the improvement in sound quality. I was with my system. By all accounts that I have read the 212's are great speakers and that can only make them better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

I have no doubt you'll (or we'll if you like) get it perfect by tinkering with treatments.

I've got to get off my *ss and get them ordered. As I said Brian, getting the images selected for the art panels has been tedious.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
05:29 PM Liked: 1202
post #13695 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 6,599
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 View Post

About $7,500 each. eek.gif

Holy crap eek.gif so for the price of an LCR Triad Platinum setup you could have a 7.4 JTR setup consisting of three 212HT's, four 228HT's and four Captivator S2's!!!! And still have about a grand left over for your pocket. eek.gif

Haha I think I'd take option two please biggrin.gif
DreamWarrior's Avatar DreamWarrior
06:05 PM Liked: 53
post #13696 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 728
Joined: Nov 2005
Yeah, you mentioned.... You said something about issues making some images wrap well around the sides. I wonder if you couldn't take the images yourself and split them, adding a border sufficient to cover the wrap? Heck, if that's the issue, I wonder why they cannot do it...? Maybe pressure them a little more and see.

That said, I have a bit of an understanding regarding imaging/printing, so...if you need a "translator" between their print-shop and layman's terms, let me know. Maybe I can help get to the bottom of what the real problems are....
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction
08:20 PM Liked: 210
post #13697 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 2,840
Joined: Jun 2010
I can't seem to get ahold of anybody at JTR. I have called and email them, but have not heard back. What is going on with them?
KevinH's Avatar KevinH
08:48 PM Liked: 21
post #13698 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 902
Joined: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I can't seem to get ahold of anybody at JTR. I have called and email them, but have not heard back. What is going on with them?

Jeff is a one man show. He's super busy. It's worth the wait. He'll get back as soon as he can. wink.gif
ufokillerz's Avatar ufokillerz
08:50 PM Liked: 45
post #13699 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 1,535
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I can't seem to get ahold of anybody at JTR. I have called and email them, but have not heard back. What is going on with them?

Jeff is most likely building speakers like a mad man, everyone with orders in before the jan 2014 price increases.
RMK!'s Avatar RMK!
09:05 PM Liked: 410
post #13700 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 6,077
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I can't seem to get ahold of anybody at JTR. I have called and email them, but have not heard back. What is going on with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Jeff is a one man show. He's super busy. It's worth the wait. He'll get back as soon as he can. wink.gif

Yup, between the Holiday rush and his designing and building a couple of new Statement Full Rangers, Jeff is over and beyond maxed out. If you're in a hurry, you are shopping at the wrong store ... smile.gif
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84
10:55 PM Liked: 267
post #13701 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 4,528
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Nice review, can someone please remind me how much the Triad Platinum's cost again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Yep, and that's rub #2. My room is just like Gooddoc's -- untreated. To pay $15k on speakers and drop them into an untreated room seems...well like the room is unworthy. Moreover, I'd much rather have a best-of-both-worlds system. Intimate and concert-like -- in my opinion Craig's get's the nod to the former and Gooddoc's, without a doubt, the latter. I think with some treatment, though, Gooddoc's may be my ideal system.

To throw in another monkey wrench, I still haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Seaton's. So, they may also be a good in-between. Got to love options, lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Holy crap eek.gif so for the price of an LCR Triad Platinum setup you could have a 7.4 JTR setup consisting of three 212HT's, four 228HT's and four Captivator S2's!!!! And still have about a grand left over for your pocket. eek.gif

Haha I think I'd take option two please biggrin.gif

Unless you find out your uncle is an authorized dealer then they are not quite so expensive. I am still going to stick with JTR speakers though. But if anybody was interested...
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
11:01 PM Liked: 1202
post #13702 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 6,599
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post



Unless you find out your uncle is an authorized dealer then they are not quite so expensive. I am still going to stick with JTR speakers though. But if anybody was interested...

Yeah, even if you were getting 50% off of the $7500 that would still end up costing you over 11 grand. eek.gif

That's still three 212HT's, about four 228HT's with a grand left over in your pocket....lol
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84
11:36 PM Liked: 267
post #13703 of 26269
12-20-2013 | Posts: 4,528
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Yeah, even if you were getting 50% off of the $7500 that would still end up costing you over 11 grand. eek.gif

That's still three 212HT's, about four 228HT's with a grand left over in your pocket....lol

Yeah I don't have that kind of money!
rhed's Avatar rhed
12:05 AM Liked: 221
post #13704 of 26269
12-21-2013 | Posts: 1,442
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 View Post

About $7,500 each. eek.gif
Wait.. WHAT!!!
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin
12:53 AM Liked: 101
post #13705 of 26269
12-21-2013 | Posts: 5,071
Joined: Jun 2011
Pssh you guys talk like you've never seen the price of 802Ds lol
staaled's Avatar staaled
02:16 AM Liked: 28
post #13706 of 26269
12-21-2013 | Posts: 232
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Yep, and that's rub #2. My room is just like Gooddoc's -- untreated. To pay $15k on speakers and drop them into an untreated room seems...well like the room is unworthy. Moreover, I'd much rather have a best-of-both-worlds system. Intimate and concert-like -- in my opinion Craig's get's the nod to the former and Gooddoc's, without a doubt, the latter. I think with some treatment, though, Gooddoc's may be my ideal system.

To throw in another monkey wrench, I still haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Seaton's. So, they may also be a good in-between. Got to love options, lol....

I have my JTR setup, LCR 212 HT LP's and 228 surrounds, in a treated room and at moments am stunned by their delicacy.
So they can sound intimate, depending on source ,source-material and room.
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich
04:40 AM Liked: 297
post #13707 of 26269
12-21-2013 | Posts: 2,208
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveko23 View Post

Yeah this helps a great deal. I'm now strongly leaning towards building a false wall and getting the 212 LPs so I can place them up against the back of the wall with the screen right in front of them so the false wall only needs to be as far away from the real wall at the 212's are deep (plus a little space for wires, toe in). I think that will give me the extra space I was worried about the 212's needing. I had thought they would have had to go in front of the angled wall which would have put them 3-5' closer to my seating position than they will be behind the screen. Plus I'd guess the wife will appreciate them being hidden, having larger screen, not having to worry about the kid knocking them over etc. So quite a few benefits to this approach.

I live in Ohio (in dayton, work in cincy, parent live in cols, extended family in cleve). I think I've seen some people in this thread who live somewhere in OH so hopefully I'll be able to get out and listen to someone's setup at some point down the road.



Hey, I live in Cincinnati (Kenwood) and would be happy to give a demo of my JTR 7.2 set-up if you ever want to hear it.
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich
04:42 AM Liked: 297
post #13708 of 26269
12-21-2013 | Posts: 2,208
Joined: Dec 2003
My projector died this week. Less then a year old mad.gif After way to many hours being shuffled around Sony this week and finally getting to the "President's" office, they overnighted a new one to me and I got it yesterday. I was lost there for a few days with no use of my HT room tongue.gif
dgage's Avatar dgage
05:16 AM Liked: 311
post #13709 of 26269
12-21-2013 | Posts: 1,736
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I can't seem to get ahold of anybody at JTR. I have called and email them, but have not heard back. What is going on with them?

Sorry you haven't gotten a hold of him but keep trying, Jeff seems to be a good guy and the product is worth it.

I wasn't expecting my additional 2 Slanted 8s to go to 7.3 partially because I didn't want to be disappointed, but they will arrive on Christmas Eve. EXCITED!!!
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction
05:53 AM Liked: 210
post #13710 of 26269
12-21-2013 | Posts: 2,840
Joined: Jun 2010
Everything you guys are saying about Jeff makes sense now. We are backed up ay my job as well, so I can completely understand. Thanks!
Tags: 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp

Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3