Official JTR speaker thread - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7125Likes

Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helheim View Post

What is the minimun sensitivey you would go with? Know of any others that are 5" deep or less?
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/single-8ht-lp/
This one is 7" deep and wall mountable.

recommendation of 95dbs or more. Once you go below 93dbs or so they start to fall behind pretty fast. smile.gif

Chris

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

You will need subs and so if your going to use an AT screen and based upon your stated use, I'd get option a) but get two S1's or Cap 1000's instead of the OS. Their size makes behind an AT screen difficult and two subs is always better than one.

That will be a great HT setup and you will be amazed at the sound. smile.gif

Just when I thought I had narrowed down my sub selection wink.gif Any particular reason for not going with the OS?

I am willing to put enough depth behind the false wall/AT screen to fit whichever speakers & subs I go with, but I'm also considering putting the subs on the side walls mid-way if I go with two based on the harman white paper placement suggestions.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Just when I thought I had narrowed down my sub selection wink.gif Any particular reason for not going with the OS?

I am willing to put enough depth behind the false wall/AT screen to fit whichever speakers & subs I go with, but I'm also considering putting the subs on the side walls mid-way if I go with two based on the harman white paper placement suggestions.

Don't go by the Harman white papers. Your room may not behave like their room. You have to measure and be willing to move subs if your goal is best FR.

Not to speak for anyone, but I'll bet the reason the OS was not suggested is that two smaller subs have a better chance at a great FR than one bigger sub. That's a guideline you can believe in. smile.gif Three is even better and four may be overkill but likely best.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1

Just when I thought I had narrowed down my sub selection Any particular reason for not going with the OS?

I am willing to put enough depth behind the false wall/AT screen to fit whichever speakers & subs I go with, but I'm also considering putting the subs on the side walls mid-way if I go with two based on the harman white paper placement suggestions./QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Don't go by the Harman white papers. Your room may not behave like their room. You have to measure and be willing to move subs if your goal is best FR.

Not to speak for anyone, but I'll bet the reason the OS was not suggested is that two smaller subs have a better chance at a great FR than one bigger sub. That's a guideline you can believe in. smile.gif Three is even better and four may be overkill but likely best.

^^^ Yup smile.gif
selkec likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 1985
Quote:

That's my thinking, now if you could buy two OS's that would be different! biggrin.gif
Old 12-23-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My main motivation for steering towards the OS was the highly praised performance in the audible range above 20Hz...but I've read some OS owners have been able to get lower, FWIW. Would two 2400 have the same output as one OS 20Hz and up?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My main motivation for steering towards the OS was the highly praised performance in the audible range above 20Hz...but I've read some OS owners have been able to get lower, FWIW. Would two 2400 have the same output as one OS 20Hz and up?

The question should be which would sound better and 2 is almost always better than one for HT. In your 3K CF room the output of either (2 Caps or 1 OS) would be more than enough.

Now two OS's is a horse of a different color. smile.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:

Quote:

yes that is correct. Two cap2400 will keep pace with one orbit shifter above 20hz. I second the notion of two ported captivators!

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Old 12-24-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
I'm up at 2am again listening to music. So tired I can barely keep my eyes open, but the 228ht are so excellent I lament turning off the system! Almost a year now with these speakers and 2.5 years with the ported captivator subs, and I still LOVE this setup!
Dbuudo07 likes this.

Archaea's FS Thread
Old 12-24-2013, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I'm up at 2am again listening to music. So tired I can barely keep my eyes open, but the 228ht are so excellent I lament turning off the system! Almost a year now with these speakers and 2.5 years with the ported captivator subs, and I still LOVE this setup!

I hear you Archaea, I find myself listening to more and more music and love my 228HT's. There's not one thing I regret about buying then without of ever hearing any JTR speakers before doing so.

I don't have the Cap 2400's like you do but my XS30's are going to be making way for a DIY build that shouldn't have any issues putting out the kind of output dual Cap 2400's have.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:

If this is a one and done purchase 2 subs will always be a better choice.

If you plan on buying what you can now and adding a couple more pieces in time as money allows get the meat and potatoes first: LCR + badass Subwoofer = 212HT and OS or Cap S2. This will more than cover the FR at the main LP for you and later when $$$ allow purchase another matching OS or S2 then others can enjoy the same FR you have been experiencing from day one. A later purchase could be the 2 to 4 Slanted 8s.

Nothing you buy from JTR today will be outdated anytime soon so slow steady well thought out purchases can lead to the system of your dreams. On the flipside buying all at once can lead to eventually doing it again and again and again.smile.gif

Good Luck
Chris

Chris
Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:

I originally came back to AVS to research a SINGLE sub as I wasn't happy with my Focal sub for home theater (was great for music). I was expecting I'd end up with the Seaton Submersive based on all the reviews I read. Then people told me you'd be better off with multiple subs than one beefy sub. So I ended up going the DIY route and bought 3 TC LMS 5400s, which are some of the best subs on the market. And I must say they are way beyond my expectations. Enveloping crystal clear bass that shakes the couch. We were at the IMAX in Miami and I told my wife our system would sound better and our system is so much better, it's not even a contest.

So my recommendation for you would be to get one uber sub now and buy another uber sub later. Seaton Submersive, JTR S1/S2, Cap, OS, etc.

By the way, I mentioned I came to AVS to buy a single sub. Nowhere was I looking to buy speakers until I found this JTR speaker thread...I feel bad for your bank account. smile.gif

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Did another demo yesterday for an AVS member. What is it with this hobby? Everyone I've had over for a demo has been very cool and this was no exception - very nice guy. I knew I liked him when he reacted by seeing my albums on the wall and stating that Master of Puppets is his favorite album. smile.gif

Anyway, he is interested in upgrading from dual SVS 20-39's to dual SI 18's with flat packs so he wanted to hear my subs. However it seemed to me like (I could be wrong about this) that he was even more impressed with the Noesis. While listening to music he said he has heard Wilson's (I can't remember which model) and they didn't sound as good or have the clarity of the Noesis.

We did go nuts with the subs on a few scenes and it has me questioning why I want more headroom. I used an even steeper house curve than I normally use and I think I'm at the limits of my room as is. My back wall is flexing so much I'm surprised it hasn't cracked. If I ever do add more subs it would be to experiment with nearfield placement.

I recently bought these http://www.parts-express.com/buttkicker-ri-4-pak-medium-kinetic-furniture-isolators-set-of-5--300-9462 to put under my front row love seat. So far I cant tell much of a difference but I want to try the under 15 hz stuff using a LPF on the minidsp and see if I can feel anything. Last time I tried that all I got was bad noises from the house but I didn't feel anything (I also need to try the same on the second row riser).
Old 12-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Deep Sea Sound

By the way, if you like to tinker you could build subs yourself. You'd build/assemble the enclosure (see link below), buy a (usually pro audio) amplifier, and EQ it (such as miniDSP). Just pointing out an option. Again, I absolutely love the LMS 5400 but keep in mind the raw subwoofer is $925 each but there are well regarded subs at the $250 and $500 price point. Amp could be around $400 and the MiniDSP is less than $200.

Even if you go with a commercial sub, I'd also recommend getting the MiniDSP UMIK-1 so you could do some measuring with REW software (get at HomeTheaterShack).

An option for assembling an enclosure - http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2.html

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

If this is a one and done purchase 2 subs will always be a better choice.

If you plan on buying what you can now and adding a couple more pieces in time as money allows get the meat and potatoes first: LCR + badass Subwoofer = 212HT and OS or Cap S2. This will more than cover the FR at the main LP for you and later when $$$ allow purchase another matching OS or S2 then others can enjoy the same FR you have been experiencing from day one. A later purchase could be the 2 to 4 Slanted 8s.

Nothing you buy from JTR today will be outdated anytime soon so slow steady well thought out purchases can lead to the system of your dreams. On the flipside buying all at once can lead to eventually doing it again and again and again.smile.gif

Good Luck
Chris

This is the Golden advice! I am going slow as heck! I haven't had surround since may and it won't be until mid March until I do. But I have sold off my decent system in process of buying all JTR/Seaton speakers and subs. It's tough waiting and saving but I know it will be worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I originally came back to AVS to research a SINGLE sub as I wasn't happy with my Focal sub for home theater (was great for music). I was expecting I'd end up with the Seaton Submersive based on all the reviews I read. Then people told me you'd be better off with multiple subs than one beefy sub. So I ended up going the DIY route and bought 3 TC LMS 5400s, which are some of the best subs on the market. And I must say they are way beyond my expectations. Enveloping crystal clear bass that shakes the couch. We were at the IMAX in Miami and I told my wife our system would sound better and our system is so much better, it's not even a contest.

So my recommendation for you would be to get one uber sub now and buy another uber sub later. Seaton Submersive, JTR S1/S2, Cap, OS, etc.

By the way, I mentioned I came to AVS to buy a single sub. Nowhere was I looking to buy speakers until I found this JTR speaker thread...I feel bad for your bank account. smile.gif

Lots of people say that is the best sub driver in the world

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The question should be which would sound better and 2 is almost always better than one for HT. In your 3K CF room the output of either (2 Caps or 1 OS) would be more than enough.

Now two OS's is a horse of a different color. smile.gif

I like the fact 2 cap 2400 would save $900 over 2 OS...but have to determine if the difference is worth it.

One question though...I saw one of your posts from a few months ago where you said you only had a single OS while the other wasn't working and you didn't hear a difference. Do you still feel this way? This is where it gets a bit confusing. I completely agree about having subs in pairs/quads, but at the same time how much of a "subtle" difference is a 2nd sub really making?

BTW, which of the JTR subs perform best for music?
Old 12-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:

I like the fact 2 cap 2400 would save $900 over 2 OS...but have to determine if the difference is worth it.

One question though...I saw one of your posts from a few months ago where you said you only had a single OS while the other wasn't working and you didn't hear a difference. Do you still feel this way? This is where it gets a bit confusing. I completely agree about having subs in pairs/quads, but at the same time how much of a "subtle" difference is a 2nd sub really making?

Regarding music, I think any of the subs would work well as music is less demanding than home theater...but since music is usually greater than 25 or 30 Hz, I'd recommend one of the ported as it will have more output above 20 Hz. Regarding ported vs sealed, there have been several get togethers (GTGs) where people couldn't choose which subs were ported or sealed.

One other option to look at besides the JTR subs is the Seaton Submersives as Mark now offers a master/slave setup for a nice $1,000+ savings.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Old 12-24-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good point but which one and where its located makes the difference. When I had the amp out of my right (they are both up front corner loaded) OS the left one seemed to sound just about the same as two of them together. When I tried using a single OS in the middle under my center channel Noesis, the bass was essentially gone from my entire front row. With subs it is location, location, location. Having multiples helps mitigate many issues.

Re the best sounding, Jeff has stated several times that the OS is his favorite. You'll have to ask him what that means ... smile.gif

Honestly, I thought the original Captivators (bandpass PR version with a 12" driver and 18" PR) were the best I had heard for music.

BTW, since you are a photographer, what do you think about the Sony DSC RX-100 as a carry around daily shooter? I found them on ebay for $400 and couldn't resist.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Initially, I was thinking along the same line. Try one sub, see how it does and then see if it would be worth pursuing making any necessary improvements with a second sub. I'm sure things like placement, room treatment, and such, will contribute to how everything plays out.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Has anybody talked to Jeff lately? I still have not heard back and I have left a few messages and emails. Trying to get a sub ordered before price increases and to maybe have it before my Super Bowl party.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 12-24-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Has anybody talked to Jeff lately? I still have not heard back and I have left a few messages and emails. Trying to get a sub ordered before price increases and to maybe have it before my Super Bowl party.
. He said he was headed out for the holidays so it might be after the first until you hear from him. I don't know this sure...just going off what he told me.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

. He said he was headed out for the holidays so it might be after the first until you hear from him. I don't know this sure...just going off what he told me.
I kind of figured that. Thanks for letting me know. Happy holidays

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:

I kind of figured that. Thanks for letting me know. Happy holidays

I bet he'll give you the 2013 prices since he knows you were wanting to buy before the increase. Still, sucks that you have to wait to order.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I bet he'll give you the 2013 prices since he knows you were wanting to buy before the increase. Still, sucks that you have to wait to order.

From what everybody is telling me about how much of a nice guy he is, I wouldn't put it passed him then. Yea the wait sucks, but it is what it is.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
The consensus is he is buried working OT right now. Send a email stating exactly what you want and call it an official order. That all he needs to do is call and run your card. I am sure he will honor that as before the price increase. At least worth a try

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:

From what everybody is telling me about how much of a nice guy he is, I wouldn't put it passed him then. Yea the wait sucks, but it is what it is.

Does it matter if you placed the order today or after the 1st? Putting in your order sooner won't get your speakers any sooner since he won't be working anyway.

I'm sure he'll take care of you. Happy Holidays.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

The consensus is he is buried working OT right now. Send a email stating exactly what you want and call it an official order. That all he needs to do is call and run your card. I am sure he will honor that as before the price increase. At least worth a try

Pretty much did that. Just waiting to give him money.
Quote:

Does it matter if you placed the order today or after the 1st? Putting in your order sooner won't get your speakers any sooner since he won't be working anyway.

I'm sure he'll take care of you. Happy Holidays.

Very true. I did not know he was going out of town though.

I do not want to make this a big deal, just wanted to know if anybody else has been able to reach him.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 12-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Have been trying to place an order for last 2 weeks but need to know how to pay. Last email was a week ago but he didn't give me enough info to make payment. Would think Jeff could read his email once in a while. He said I could use PayPal but not sure which of his emails he uses for that.

So is the quantity discount no longer in effect? 5% for 4-7 speakers. His last quote had no discount but maybe since I want veneered it no longer applies.

Worried I will get hit with increase as he did say it definitely goes into effect January 1st.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I'm doing a lot of thinking now.. If these new FR speakers is more then what I need. I'm still thinking of 212's. But for center channel I was thinking 228 and 4 slanted 8 for surrounds.. And of course the 212 for LR. Would this be a good combo? Or it's better to keep the LCR the same..
Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

I'm doing a lot of thinking now.. If these new FR speakers is more then what I need. I'm still thinking of 212's. But for center channel I was thinking 228 and 4 slanted 8 for surrounds.. And of course the 212 for LR. Would this be a good combo? Or it's better to keep the LCR the same..

I asked Jeff the same question and he said to do 212's across the front for the LCR. He said there was enough difference in the compression drivers to notice a difference as sound pans across the front. Maybe the KC crew has experience with mixing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis