Official JTR speaker thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 22828 Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did not realize how long-winded I was until I posted - thanks for wading through all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Ross,

Excellent review, you write like a professional! This is only the beginning.

Ha, that must be the residual effects of my 1988 journalism degree, maybe those student loans were worth something

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Thanks for the great writeup Ross. The fun is just beginning . If you want to hear the full dynamic capabilities of the JTR's, watch Chapter 6 of the Nick Cage movie Knowing on Bluray. This DTS HD-MA track is mind blowing and the JTR's give you the full measure. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scotts in London bluray is worth a listen too.

Looking forward to your next round comments.

Thanks for the tip on the Knowing blu-ray, RMK. I have most all of the renowned bass spectaculars but I will pick this one up also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemet View Post

Yes indeed, as RMK! put it the fun is just beginning!

Did you apply any toe-in to the left/right speakers? Your main listening position is 9 foot away? Will you try Audyssey with the JTR's, I think you could try and them use the Anti-Mode 8033M to do final ring-up cleaning?

I set a moderate amount of toe-in on the L/R Triple8's. Yep, I sit about 9.5 feet from the speakers and screen.

Audyssey is weird like this - there are seasoned forum members who do not like what it does to the sound, and yet plenty others who love it. I have tried the Audyssey MultEQ XT many times in my system, have run all 8 measurements exactly as Chris @ Audyssey told me to and have tried my own merasurement positions also, and in each case Audyssey has sounded a bit too processed and electronic for my tastes. My treated room sounds better to my ears without it, and the Anti-Mode 8033M and bass traps have addressed ringing very well.

Cheers,
Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

I set a moderate amount of toe-in on the L/R Triple8's. Yep, I sit about 9.5 feet from the speakers and screen.

Audyssey is weird like this - there are seasoned forum members who do not like what it does to the sound, and yet plenty others who love it. I have tried the Audyssey MultEQ XT many times in my system, have run all 8 measurements exactly as Chris @ Audyssey told me to and have tried my own merasurement positions also, and in each case Audyssey has sounded a bit too processed and electronic for my tastes. My treated room sounds better to my ears without it, and the Anti-Mode 8033M and bass traps have addressed ringing very well.

Cheers,
Ross

I ended up towing in my Q8's so they basically point at my ears at about 8.5 foot back, as they are 10ft apart I guess it is quite a bit of tow-in. Once you get your center T8, unlike other center channels there is no need to turn up the center hot I found, the clarity is startling.

Audyssey is a bit of a love/hate relationship, it steals around 8db of headroom from the pre-pro to do it's thing, and each time that you redo it due to variations in mic positions you end up with a different sound

Even though my room is treated with acoustical panels and bass traps I still need Audyssey to smooth out the sound as I have no other bass eq to use, it does it's best work down low (whereas you can use the Anti-Mode). Do you use the SMS after the Anti-Mode to give a house bass curve or set the Submersive a couple of db hot?
post #1353 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemet View Post

Do you use the SMS after the Anti-Mode to give a house bass curve or set the Submersive a couple of db hot?

I don't use the SMS-1 as an EQ anymore, just as an occasional convenient measuring device when making changes to the system. The AM8033 has more accurate filters and in my setup produces a cleaner sound. I have tried house curves but prefer a relatively flat bass response.
post #1354 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

Congrats Manny! Your theater has a very cool modern look, I like it.

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks Ross, we're very excited
I'm into the modern look and happy the way it turned out..DIY HT
Can't wait to hear the JTRs

--Manny
post #1355 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuesmaximus View Post

--Manny

I like the flooring. That is carpet tile I assume!!! Nice. What size is the screen?
post #1356 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuesmaximus View Post

--Manny

Amazing work. I wish I could learn how to be more handy, the only thing I have "built" were ugly bass/sound traps that I glued together
post #1357 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

I like the flooring. That is carpet tile I assume!!! Nice. What size is the screen?

Thanks, its Mohawk carpet, I installed it myself...heavy stuff.
My screen is SMX Proline AT 143" wide, 2.35 aspect ratio
--Manny
post #1358 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Amazing work. I wish I could learn how to be more handy, the only thing I have "built" were ugly bass/sound traps that I glued together

Thanks
post #1359 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Has anyone else had any issues getting a hold of Jeff lately? I have called the main number twice this week and his mailbox is full. Tried to email too. Just wondering if anyone has heard from him lately.

Thanks.

Denon 4311ci with Mini DSP and antimodeL/R -DIYSOUND tempest towers (40" tall towers)C - DIYSOUND alchemy 8LS/RS - community D6MACHTSUB SYSTEM2-Stereo Integrity HST-18 D1 subs (happy dance) in dual 12 cuft ported tuned 16hzSub amp- Speakerpower SP2-12000
post #1360 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post

Has anyone else had any issues getting a hold of Jeff lately? I have called the main number twice this week and his mailbox is full. Tried to email too. Just wondering if anyone has heard from him lately.

Thanks.

He was "out of town" earlier in the week with some Triple 12's (Mississippi) so maybe he got a bit behind.

Triple 12 Event

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #1361 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Ross, please let us know how the T8 set-up sounds now with the center in place. Thanks.
post #1362 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My name tag says "Jeff" but I can't be sure at this point. Good news is that the speakers are coming along. Bad news is the manufactures that I purchase goods from have been unpredictable with leadtimes so I am going to start carrying much more inventory. So, you might actually starting hear the words "in stock" come out of my mouth.
post #1363 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Great writeup! Would an 80 Hz. high-pass on these speakers be OK, or would you want to go higher/lower for a dedicated HT system?
post #1364 of 22828 Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post

Great writeup! Would an 80 Hz. high-pass on these speakers be OK, or would you want to go higher/lower for a dedicated HT system?

For the T8's an 80hz crossover works great, for the Q8's and T12's you can crossover from 60hz. I have my Q8's crossed over at 70hz. If you have subwoofers up front then you can cross-over higher too, depends on which makes the best blend for the room, but the JTR's are very potent at mid-bass.
post #1365 of 22828 Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMike View Post

Ross, please let us know how the T8 set-up sounds now with the center in place. Thanks.

The third Triple 8 arrived safely and has been set up in my favored position directly above the screen, angled down toward the listening position with MoPads. I have swapped out the JTR front stage with the Rockets about 4 times now trying to get a feel for the differences, and will need another day before I have detailed notes. But so far, listening to a few lossless Blu-Ray movie tracks I'm quite familiar with from frequent previous demos (Transformers, Kung Fu Panda, The Dark Knight, Flight of the Phoenix) the expected benefits of the Triple 8's are apparent - these things sound like they are just loafing along, never close to being strained even at ridiculously high volumes. The imaging of the front stage is seamless and authoritative. The subtle individual characteristics and inflections of each human voice are more readily revealed. Gunshots have a clarity and impact I've not heard before. The off-axis response of the center channel is superb from any seat.

One of the interesting things about home theater is that people often don't understand the need for more dynamic headroom until they actually experience having it, then they hear what was missing in terms of clean, smooth, undistorted momentary peaks in movies and music that have a palpable effect on the body and induce those jaw-dropping moments where sounds almost become the real thing. This was true for me moving from all of my past subs to the Seaton SubMersive, from the receiver's onboard power to the Earthquake Cinenova Grande, and going from various smaller speakers to the Rocket 850/200/450 package, but the Triple 8's take speaker dynamic headroom to a whole new level.

Cheers,
Ross
post #1366 of 22828 Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Thanks Ross, sounds very impressive.
post #1367 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to mount my Slant 8's to my wall, and because of my lower ceiling, I'm thinking that the 30degree slant wont work well. I'm considering mounting sideways and maybe toed in towards the listening position. I'm also trying to figure out what method to use to mount them.

Here's a pic of the room it's going in. Specifically, 3 to 12 inches below the ceiling, under the duct work. About as far back as that yellow box. Any suggestions?
LL
post #1368 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygee View Post

I'm trying to figure out how to mount my Slant 8's to my wall, and because of my lower ceiling, I'm thinking that the 30degree slant wont work well. I'm considering mounting sideways and maybe toed in towards the listening position. I'm also trying to figure out what method to use to mount them.

Here's a pic of the room it's going in. Specifically, 3 to 12 inches below the ceiling, under the duct work. About as far back as that yellow box. Any suggestions?

The room is looking good Tommy.

It's a little hard to tell from the picture but appears the S8 will be aimed at the base of the opposing wall and that would be fine. I have S8's as surround back and heights and all of these are aimed at the seated head height of the first row seating. They seem to have a broad dispersion pattern so mount them as high as you can. If you get a reflection off of the ceiling that will add to the surround affect so I'd try them upright and see how they sound.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #1369 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 AM
Señor Member

We rented and watched the Michael Jackson concert documentary “This is it” last night. Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the man’s work and his personal issues made this film even less interesting to me. But my SO likes his music, loves to dance and MJ certainly was a great dancer so she talked me into it … I’m very happy that she did.

All I can say is you have to watch this Bluray. Besides being a fascinating look at a supremely talented but tortured celebrity, the DTS HD-Master Audio sound is mind blowing. We felt like we were transported right there to the rehearsal hall listening to this amazingly clean and powerful music. It is the best sounding audio track I have ever heard period and is the type of disk that those of us who spend a lot of time and money on our systems get the BIG payback.

This thread is the perfect place to post this comment as this film fits JTR speakers like your best pair of 501’s fit you. I will be buying this disk and it is now my #1 reference demo.

HToM

post #1370 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

We rented and watched the Michael Jackson concert documentary This is it last night. Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the man's work and his personal issues made this film even less interesting to me. But my SO likes his music, loves to dance and MJ certainly was a great dancer so she talked me into it I'm very happy that she did.

All I can say is you have to watch this Bluray. Besides being a fascinating look at a supremely talented but tortured celebrity, the DTS HD-Master Audio sound is mind blowing. We felt like we were transported right there to the rehearsal hall listening to this amazingly clean and powerful music. It is the best sounding audio track I have ever heard period and is the type of disk that those of us who spend a lot of time and money on our systems get the BIG payback.

This thread is the perfect place to post this comment as this film fits JTR speakers like your best pair of 501's fit you. I will be buying this disk and it is now my #1 reference demo.

Thanks for the review. My wife is a big Michael Jackson fan. I just ordered the Blu Ray.
post #1371 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Thanks for the review. My wife is a big Michael Jackson fan. I just ordered the Blu Ray.

Ordered this and the Killers Live, heard both should be reference
post #1372 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
ok, after looking around much, i might be getting jtr's soon. i believe my current mains have a issue keeping up with my dts-10's.

i'm thinking of this combination

L/R T12, center Q8, and T8 for front wides/heights. Is there any problems with mixing and matching the front's like that or are they all voiced alike.
post #1373 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if they are voiced alike when changing from the 8's to the 12's. I would assume the triple 8's, slanted 8's and quints would be similar to each other but I wonder about the 12's since they are the newest rework and a different sized mid.
post #1374 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
the thing i was looking at is that the midrange all use the 1" compression driver.
post #1375 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:

The room is looking good Tommy.

It's a little hard to tell from the picture but appears the S8 will be aimed at the base of the opposing wall and that would be fine. I have S8's as surround back and heights and all of these are aimed at the seated head height of the first row seating. They seem to have a broad dispersion pattern so mount them as high as you can. If you get a reflection off of the ceiling that will add to the surround affect so I'd try them upright and see how they sound.

Thanks Rob. So I'm guessing you still recommend the french cleat for mounting? Where do you recommend I install the cleat on the speaker, and what size screw did you use?
post #1376 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygee View Post

Thanks Rob. So I'm guessing you still recommend the french cleat for mounting? Where do you recommend I install the cleat on the speaker, and what size screw did you use?

Actually, I ended up using these when I re-mounted my Surround Back S8's. These self tapping anchors work very well with dry wall and I just used the top two key hole mounts on each S8 rather than all four. Much less invasive process () and plenty strong for the 28lb S8's.

I also used a bare wire connection on the binding posts to allow the S8's to sit close to flush on the wall.

Now if it were wall mounting T8's the french cleat would be the way to go.

HToM

post #1377 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a chance to listen to the Klipsch Ultra THX 2 system this weekend and was really impressed! Now I come here today and read this thread and you guys are all blown away by what the JTR's can do and saying they are way better than anything else out there.

Now I am really curious to listen to this system. Any in Colorado have this system?

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #1378 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

I had a chance to listen to the Klipsch Ultra THX 2 system this weekend and was really impressed! Now I come here today and read this thread and you guys are all blown away by what the JTR's can do and saying they are way better than anything else out there.

Now I am really curious to listen to this system. Any in Colorado have this system?

I think there are a lot of happy owners and for good reason. The better than anything out there part is an exaggeration.

I also had a chance to hear the Klipsch Ultra THX system this year and it sounded very good for HT. I would choose JTR over the Klipsch but can understand why others would not. Lots of good options out there even in this relatively new high performance Pro Audio derived segment. Brands like Seaton, Danley, JBL all have their following and all have an advantage for Home Theater audio IMHO.

HToM

post #1379 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think there are a lot of happy owners and for good reason. The better than anything out there part is an exaggeration.

I also had a chance to hear the Klipsch Ultra THX system this year and it sounded very good for HT. I would choose JTR over the Klipsch but can understand why others would not. Lots of good options out there even in this relatively new high performance Pro Audio derived segment. Brands like Seaton, Danley, JBL all have their following and all have an advantage for Home Theater audio IMHO.

Sorry you are right the better than anything is a bit much, but you get my point.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #1380 of 22828 Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

Sorry you are right the better than anything is a bit much, but you get my point.

I just think people are buying them for specific reasons and they fit those needs very well -i.e. clear, loud, dynamic and handle HT and harder music better than many. The audience for them is being served very well and accurately to their needs so ou are going to hear superlatives.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page