Official JTR speaker thread - Page 466 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5996Likes

Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

I never realized it until this post but I am Addicted to buying Blu-rays. If it has 10 seconds of Badass bass its mine. When it comes to concert Blu-rays As long as it sounds good I buy it even if I don't like the group. My thoughts are "well someone may stop by that does like it" so just in case.

My New Years Resolution: Quit Buying so many Blu-Rays

Chris

I'm in the exact same boat....Every week I end up buying at least a couple. I know it's an addiction because if BB or the other local store I pop into has nothing new or a deal that day, I run home and jump on Amazon to find a few biggrin.gif Just like you said too, wether the movie or artist is something I'd normally buy doesn't matter one bit...if it's a good show off piece or may have some effects I'll like, it's as good as home.

Not sure about that resolution though Chris biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Ok, the anal side of me couldn't let it go. I have a specific set-up right now that works perfect with my current T8 and T12 and 2 JTR subs (picture below for reference). When I talked to Jeff yesterday I had ordered the 212 L/R and 212 LP center. That would require me to slide my subs out further left and right and act as speaker stands for my 212s and require me to tear down my custom stands I had built when I finished the basement last year. So I talked to Jeff this morning and he is going to build me a custom center that is basically the 228 with a 212 compression driver. That way I get to keep my current stands and room layout and just slide the new speakers into place where the current speakers are. The anal side of me that likes everything symmetrical can sleep better at night smile.gif

Queue Beastaudio and Carp saying why not just get a new AT screen smile.gif

So the S2's are only 16.25 deep. You could get a larger 16X9 AT screen flush with the left hand cabinet face and hung from the ceiling via a simple bulkhead with 90 degree angle brackets (like me tongue.gifwink.gif ). The speakers would be invisible and with grills for the S2's or something like I did to hide the OS's and your anal side would be happy and the look very clean. The only fly in that ointment is that you don't have the ceiling height for the bigger screen and your feet would be in your sight line when reclined in your HT chairs.

So as Emily Litella would say .... never mind .... tongue.gif

Probably good for Jeff to have to have a horizontal smaller form factor Noesis speaker for those of you who haven't got the AT screen religion ... tongue.gifwink.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

I'm in the exact same boat....Every week I end up buying at least a couple. I know it's an addiction because if BB or the other local store I pop into has nothing new or a deal that day, I run home and jump on Amazon to find a few biggrin.gif Just like you said too, wether the movie or artist is something I'd normally buy doesn't matter one bit...if it's a good show off piece or may have some effects I'll like, it's as good as home.

Not sure about that resolution though Chris biggrin.gif

I have a cure for this disease. Get a Netgear NeoTV MAX (or ROKU) and stream (ie rent for six bucks) ) VUDU HD content. It is true 1080P and has good (if not the very best sound). Then, if you really like a movie buy it in bluray for your collection. You can also buy the VUDU copy of the film (usually $18). I never thought I would be streaming HD content but it really is great and they have the new releases before the Bluray release date. I watched Elysium a week before the bluray came out. It has made my bluray players almost unnecessary.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

So the S2's are only 16.25 deep. You could get a larger 16X9 AT screen flush with the left hand cabinet face and hung from the ceiling via a simple bulkhead with 90 degree angle brackets (like me tongue.gifwink.gif ). The speakers would be invisible and with grills for the S2's or something like I did to hide the OS's and your anal side would be happy and the look very clean. The only fly in that ointment is that you don't have the ceiling height for the bigger screen and your feet would be in your sight line when reclined in your HT chairs.

So as Emily Litella would say .... never mind .... tongue.gif

Probably good for Jeff to have to have a horizontal smaller form factor Noesis speaker for those of you who haven't got the AT screen religion ... tongue.gifwink.gif

Quote:

Ok, the anal side of me couldn't let it go. I have a specific set-up right now that works perfect with my current T8 and T12 and 2 JTR subs (picture below for reference). When I talked to Jeff yesterday I had ordered the 212 L/R and 212 LP center. That would require me to slide my subs out further left and right and act as speaker stands for my 212s and require me to tear down my custom stands I had built when I finished the basement last year. So I talked to Jeff this morning and he is going to build me a custom center that is basically the 228 with a 212 compression driver. That way I get to keep my current stands and room layout and just slide the new speakers into place where the current speakers are. The anal side of me that likes everything symmetrical can sleep better at night smile.gif

Queue Beastaudio and Carp AND RMK saying why not just get a new AT screen smile.gif

Sorry Rob. FIXKED smile.gif
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I also got addicted to buying bluRays..... that led to steel books which can really cost. I also would look for deals daily keep track on bluRayforum and scan buy off half dot com. It was bad and cost me alot. I finally banned myself from bluRayforum and buying steel books. I even sold Hundreds but kept the cool looking steel books and my favorite movies. No need to buy them.... I finally broke that addiction....

Processing- Sherbourn 7020C4
Amps- Sherbourn PA7-350, two Behringer EP4000s
Speakers- JTR Triple 12s for mains, triple 8 center, Volt 8 surrounds
Subs- 4 mach 5 audio IXL 18s
PJ- Panasonic pt-ae4000
112" fixed screen
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkec View Post

Keep me updated when you get a estimatd arrival time so I can also get ready smile.gif

Howdy sir. I did send you an e-mail yesterday to give you an update about my purchase. We will stay in touch smile.gif
Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

I have a cure for this disease. Get a Netgear NeoTV MAX (or ROKU) and stream (ie rent for six bucks) ) VUDU HD content. It is true 1080P and has good (if not the very best sound). Then, if you really like a movie buy it in bluray for your collection. You can also buy the VUDU copy of the film (usually $18). I never thought I would be streaming HD content but it really is great and they have the new releases before the Bluray release date. I watched Elysium a week before the bluray came out. It has made my bluray players almost unnecessary.
That is a great idea. My problem is I fall asleep way to often when watching movies so sometimes it takes 4 or 5 viewings to comprehend the whole movie. At the theaters they make everyone wear pants and I can't fall asleep with pants on. biggrin.gif I have a strict Pants required only when guests are present policy in my HT room (The ClubHouse).

I have a 1080p option with DishNetwork but I think its $7.99 a movie. With that I believe "In for a penny (7.99 rental) in for a pound (19.99 BR) . smile.gif

I guess wearing pants and renting movies would be more efficient money wise.biggrin.gif
Chris

Chris
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rob, I know you and I have talked about streaming in the past. Sounds like you are having good success with it. In my opinion, on my set-up, I feel like the streaming from XBOX for VUDU and other services is 90% of the picture and 85% of the sound of a blu ray. They are pretty darn good but not quite the real thing. JMHO.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
There is nothing "more efficient" about wearing pants. Nothing.
stitch1 likes this.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:

Except you don't get HD sound from the DL's. Although the PQ is probably equal, IMO at least, it's not as good as a disc yet until it has HD sound. The money spend on Blu's is worth it in my case, as I shop around and other than 3D movies, don't pay more than $20 for any new release, whether it's Ebay, Amazon or others. I always like to have a psychical copys as I'm sure do all the blu-ray collectors we have here lol.

I'm sure in the next few years, we'll have streaming that is completely equal to discs. I'm lucky to have a 100mb DL connection so I'll be ready for 4K DL's when it hits!
Reddig likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

No, he should get a 2,35/1 AT screen.

Slowly building a 9.2.6 HT: ◤SEOS-24◥ BMS 4594ND/dual Beyma 18P80Nd [tri-amped LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [6 Surrounds] • Beta 10CX [6 Atmos] • LLT Mal-x 18" subs [2] • miniDSP 4x10HD [2] • XPR-5 • MM8003 [2] • XMC-1 • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU

My build
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:

Queue Beastaudio and Carp saying why not just get a new AT screen smile.gif

Me being in the same boat, I understand exactly why the custom center was a great option!! I love that setup and would also have done exactly the same thing!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Stitch1 brought over his Onkyo tonight and I got to experience Audyssey for the first time in my room (and xt32 at that).

In minutes I got a smooth response and could then run an 80hz crossover for music that sounded fantastic. Took me forever to get a bass response like that tweaking the minidsp and using the 150hz crossover.

Audyssey crossed my center at 50hz, left and right main at 60hz, side surrounds at 90, and rear surrounds at 120. I changed the LRC to 80, SO NICE to be able to individually change each crossover - the Elite you have to have the same crossover for each speaker. The cohesiveness all 7 speakers for movies is unreal!! So much better, the difference was obvious. It doesn't sound like speakers anymore... just sound - from everywhere.

Only issue is that the LRC trims were set at -12 and it was obvious by the trims of the surrounds that the LRC should have been set lower but couldn't be.

I have a system that I use my mini DSP and Audyssey as a team, it works amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Makes no difference, bump up the levels until they are all the same and you're done. The only thing is changes is your reference 0 setting.

Of course if you don't watch or listen at reference you need to use the reference level offset if you are using dynamic EQ correct? I don't know why but my mind still wants to revert to my old wrong thinking about this!!! Basically we could just use the reference level 10 offset setting and then just set everything at 85 dB instead of 75. That way dynamic EQ will not be over boosted. For example if you set everything and 85 dB but did not change your reference level offset, dynamic EQ will not know the difference and will boost too much.

Nate do you mind sharing your process of how exactly you integrate your mini DSP units with Audyssey?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2464 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:

Now I feel a little insulted, I was asking why you didn't and suggested going with an AT screen like four months ago!...lol tongue.gif

Maybe some others will weigh in and it could be different with the 212HT's but my 228HT's seem to like a good amount of toe in, you don't seem to have a lot of room to move speakers around Frohlich. Will you have enough space to toe in the 212HT's?

Also I hope you plan on laying the center channel flat like your T8 and have it angled up towards your ears?

I think my new Falcon Screens 120" AT screen will be arriving next week, I can't wait! biggrin.gif
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I think my new Falcon Screens 120" AT screen will be arriving next week, I can't wait! biggrin.gif
Why Falcon instead of Seymour?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

Rob, I know you and I have talked about streaming in the past. Sounds like you are having good success with it. In my opinion, on my set-up, I feel like the streaming from XBOX for VUDU and other services is 90% of the picture and 85% of the sound of a blu ray. They are pretty darn good but not quite the real thing. JMHO.

Yes, you were instrumental in getting me on this path and I admit to being pretty impressed with the experience (cost and instant gratification wink.gif). As Nate said, the VUDU video looks close or the same as BR but the audio is a bit (pun intended smile.gif) limited (DD Plus 5.1 AFAIR) . My integra does a good job with the audio signal but it isn't quite up to the bitstream from bluray standard.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

No, he should get a 2,35/1 AT screen.

Good point ... solves the feet in the screen problem ... wink.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it's a tough day today, I am now back in the market for some used the Noesis speakers. I bring home a large sum of money Friday, March 14. a huge work bonus. Let me know smile.gif
Old 12-31-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2464 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Why Falcon instead of Seymour?

Well Falcon is the new kid on the block, so at first I wasn't even really considering them.

I had gotten some large samples (2'x2') from Seymour for the XD material and Enlightor 4K material and I also had Elunevision send me a 2'x2' of their Reference 4K audio weave material. I like the fact that I couldn't see any weave in the Enlightor material but wasn't crazy about the dim picture because of the really low gain and the price was way too rich for my blood with the dim picture.

So then I really started to compare the Elunevision weave screen and the XD material. I felt that the XD material had more pop over the Elunevision but it was easier to see the weave. Plus the Elunevision would have cost about $500 more from what I remember. I could see the weave in the XD material from about 9ft away and the weave of the Elunevision from about 8ft from the screen. I sit 11.5ft away from the screen but still wanted something that was a little harder to see the weave. Honestly I was about to order a screen with the XD material because Chris was so great to deal with.

But then I stumbled onto the Falcon Screens after reading some of the theatre construction threads. After some reading and research from what little there was it appears that those who have seen the Falcon screen material say you won't see the weave until you are about 5ft away, and the screen still has good pop too it. I contacted Rich (snickers1) and after deciding on getting a little bit bigger of a screen then I currently have I ordered it.

Another thing that was nice is that the 120" 16:9 screen is about $200 less then the same SeymourAV screen, and on top of that he gives an additional discount to AVS members. So I ended up saving over $250 over the same Seymour screen. Hard to argue with that, and he also has some masking panels in the works so I'll get some once they are available.

There's also a forum member that had a Seymour screen with the Enlightor 4K material because he didn't like seeing the weave in the XD material, but got tired of the dim picture from the Enlightor material. He ended up switching over to a Falcon screen and said he loves it, way brighter then the Enlightor 4K screen but doesn't need to worry about seeing the screen weave. So it sounded like a win win to me. Over at the home theater shack forum board Rich posted some measurements without a screen in place, then with it in place and then with corrected eq'ing and everything looked great.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's my time to demo some Triad Gold monitors since I can get one for 1075, used from a friend...
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:

Hey I'm still like you man, smile.gif I still use my painted wall and love it. Beast and others really make me want to change though, that and the fact that when I'm in my second row the sound from the center really suffers since it's so low. Guys like Beast, Pop, and Gorilla laying on the peer pressure doesn't help. smile.gifcool.gif

Coincidentally I'm VERY interested in the Falcon screens - I think I might jump as soon as they get masking panels - that and when I get some money back that I loaned to the Govt. I'll get to see Pop's Falcon AT screen and Gorilla's DIY AT screen here in a couple of weeks, that will give me a good idea - however I think I'm already sold because I saw a local avs member's room (he recently completed it) this week and I love how clean his room is with his AT screen. His room is on a completely other level that I'll never have but the AT part of it I could do.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398229/sunflower-state-cinema/510#post_24138842

Still, there is something about seeing all your speakers and subs that I like and I do think part of me will miss that and currently tv/football look GREAT with the lights all the way up, I don't want to lose that.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

RMK and others,

I vaguely remember you discussing attenuators so that 0 can be reference when calibrating the Noesis. I wasn't interested at the time so I didn't pay attention but now I am interested. Is anyone using them? Any downsides to them other than having to spend money? Does anyone have a link?

thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

I never realized it until this post but I am Addicted to buying Blu-rays. If it has 10 seconds of Badass bass its mine. When it comes to concert Blu-rays As long as it sounds good I buy it even if I don't like the group. My thoughts are "well someone may stop by that does like it" so just in case.

My New Years Resolution: Quit Buying so many Blu-Rays

Chris
Your not alone my friend. Every Tuesday I goto Walmart or Bestbuy and get my new weekly releases of Blu Rays. I probably have 30 or so not even opened yet. However I buy blu rays irregardless of bass or not. I will be on my way in a bit to pick up this weeks new releases in a bit. The Flixster app has been my worst enemy considering that that app shows all the upcoming movies for months. I know everything coming out and the ratings. I cannot resist buying them. The good thing is the wife is totally cool with my insanity.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Carp,

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-12-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-244?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

N8 and some of the other guys just simply level match and make -10 reference for their systems without needing the attenuators, and with you using internal power from the avr, you really don't have a choice, but if you go with external power, the attenuators work great. If I just level matched the OCD in me would never allow me to accept that -10 was actually reference....
Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I am now back in the market for some used the Noesis speakers.
That is one Lonely market and b/c of this I would imagine the resale value is almost as high as new ones minus the shipping and Wait time.

Then again the wait time for used 212s may indeed be longer then new ones from Jeff to include his overly Optimistic estimated shipping dates.
Chris

Chris
Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

RMK and others,

I vaguely remember you discussing attenuators so that 0 can be reference when calibrating the Noesis. I wasn't interested at the time so I didn't pay attention but now I am interested. Is anyone using them? Any downsides to them other than having to spend money? Does anyone have a link?

thanks

Don't bother Carp, I tilted at this windmill because I thought it might be throwing Audyssey off due to the max 12db cuts to the LCR's post Audyssey. Turns out, it doesn't matter and when level matched with the other speakers my theoretical reference level is now -5 MV with 7-8 db level cuts on the Noesis LCR's.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Quoted: 2129 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
RMK!

You sold your Orbit Shifters?

eek.gif

All Aboard! wink.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Carp,

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-12-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-244?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

N8 and some of the other guys just simply level match and make -10 reference for their systems without needing the attenuators, and with you using internal power from the avr, you really don't have a choice, but if you go with external power, the attenuators work great. If I just level matched the OCD in me would never allow me to accept that -10 was actually reference....

Thanks Brandon - oh, I see, like you say I'd need an amp.

Ok, so basically what i need to do is:

1. Turn up the trims on the surrounds 10 db's.
2. Match the LCR to the new volume of the surounds.
3. Use -10 on the receiver as reference.

That's it? Like someone mentioned, does that mess up Dynamic EQ? I really liked what I heard with it last night.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't bother Carp, I tilted at this windmill because I thought it might be throwing Audyssey off due to the max 12db cuts to the LCR's post Audyssey. Turns out, it doesn't matter and when level matched with the other speakers my theoretical reference level is now -5 MV with 7-8 db level cuts on the Noesis LCR's.

Ah, got it - thanks - still I wonder about dynamic eq?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Brandon - oh, I see, like you say I'd need an amp.

Ok, so basically what i need to do is:

1. Turn up the trims on the surrounds 10 db's.
2. Match the LCR to the new volume of the surounds.
3. Use -10 on the receiver as reference.

That's it? Like someone mentioned, does that mess up Dynamic EQ? I really liked what I heard with it last night.

Just level set ALL speakers to 85dB, then naturally -10 will be reference. You want to then engage reference level offset (another audyssey option) and set it to 10. What that does is bring audyssey's dynamic EQ back in line with the levels you would then be using. so reference at -10, there would be no more adjustment with dynamic EQ (because at reference dynamic EQ should never be working...it is designed to improve tonal balance at below reference levels).
N8DOGG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp