Official JTR speaker thread - Page 478 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7793Likes

Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner969 View Post

I'm no audiophile, but these speakers are simple awesome! I'm watching the football games now still without a sub and the sound is super clear. I wonder if I should ever connect the sub. smile.gif
I have also spent some time listening to them full range without subs and they do sound awesome. If the subs are not integrated well in the crossover range you really can lose some of the magic, but done correctly it of course takes everything to another level. Just ask Carp!smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Well, my Sherbourn 7-350 sold to a guy in the UK, shipping it out Monday! Thanks for all the PM's but she's gone!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:

Just to be sure I'm doing the right thing, attached is a picture of the centre in its horizontal orientation as it came out of the box. So, I have to rotate the horn so the eye opening has it's longer axis vertical, right?

No, for the CC you want the 60° on the horizontal axis. You need to look at the horn in total (not just the compression driver in the middle) to see this (it is deceptive).
Did you ask Jeff for a horizontal center and did he mark the box as center?

Opinions are not facts.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Well, my Sherbourn 7-350 sold to a guy in the UK, shipping it out Monday! Thanks for all the PM's but she's gone!

Oh really? Guess I need to sell mine now. I won't need all the power with the jtrs

Denon x4200,Samsung 4k TV,
Panasonic bluray
Comcast x1 cable box
Belkin pf60. Emotiva cmx-2
Klipsch rf82, RP-450 center
240s surrounds
Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Think ill sell it and downgrade to an xpa5 ....don't think I need all the power

Panasonic bluray
Comcast x1 cable box
240s surrounds
Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkec View Post

Think ill sell it and downgrade to an xpa5 ....don't think I need all the power

Chris, might want to do a search on this thread. Not sure sensitive speakers like JTR match up great with an amp like emotiva , could have sworn I read some folks had issues with gain on the emotiva and the emotiva have no gain adjustments.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Crap. I think your right. It's 32 for gain causes hiss. Sherbourn is 29db. Well it was a good idea while it lasted. Lol.

Panasonic bluray
Comcast x1 cable box
240s surrounds
Old 01-04-2014, 04:08 PM

The gen 2 xpa5 had the gain reduced to 29 like sherbourn. Can anyone chime in here that runs Emotiva with jtr

Panasonic bluray
Comcast x1 cable box
240s surrounds
Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Bang for Buck

After reading your post I decided to give the 212's another spin sans subs. They are running full range and I used Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth CD as the test disk. This is a very well recorded CD with songs that have detailed instrumentation, terrific vocals and some nice bass lines on a few of the tracks. I ran in direct stereo mode via my OPPO BDP-83 player. The imaging was perfect with vocals centered (I checked the CC several times wink.gif ) and instruments distributed across the sound stage like a live performance. Closing my eyes made it perfect as it became a front row center seat experience.

The listening session took me back to my Revel Ultima Studio days of two channel listening, goose bumps and all. The bass was fast and accurate with more impact than I expected considering the native FR of these speakers. While adding a good subwoofer(s) would take the overall experience up a notch, it was surprisingly good and I ended up listening to the entire CD. It was an opportunity to listen to the Noesis naked and really highlighted how good these speakers are. Even at low listening levels where their SPL advantage is not in play, they compare favorably to the Revels and many other speakers costing much more.

This experience makes me even more anxious to get my hands on the 215T's and if you are listening Jeff, get back to work ... smile.gifcool.gif

When I am listening to music at 'low volume', I only hook them up to my HSU subs (which have an option where it'll only turn on when there's bass going thru, else it goes on standby automatically)... and with many songs like oldies without much bass, the HSU's don't even turn on... and I sometimes forget the subs aren't even on... also, especially on vocals, etc... the sound is second to none...

However, when the HSUs do turn on, you suddenly get to yet another heavenly level... even if the bass is extremely soft, it permeates everything, and adds a 3-dimension to the listening experience.

ps: I only turn on my OS for 'concert materials' and 'movies'.

pss: For those who have their OS, have you left it on permanently? I mean, does it go into 'sleep mode'? The OS is so precious to me that I will turn it off, unplug the wires from the wall when not in use cause I don't want to damage it...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

I like pro amps now. The fan noise can be fixed my a fan mod that's under 10 dollars. I wonder if I should sell my pa7-350 and go all pro amps. But probably wouldn't make a difference. the sherbourn is a beast and is supposed to put out a lot of power. Bit I guess I could sell my barely used sherbourn amp and get 3 or 4 pro amps and have money to put towards my upcoming JTR purchase from a fellow member. I have seen the sherbourn fetch 1500+ used. Hmmmmmm now I got my mind wondering again what to do.

Johnson was pretty adamant about 'not changing' the fan.. according to him, he's seen many unit broke down after people modded the fan. The fan's specs is there because that's how much air is required to cool the unit down. A smaller fan might not be able to do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Ya the fat ps3 was pretty noisy for sure! The LG clones are beyond loud, 62dB when ramped up!!!!!

I have mine modded at the factory so that the fan only turns on when it reaches 80 degrees celcius... so, it's now turning on and off every now and then.. I am thinking of removing the top cover and thinking of putting a gentle fan (without noise) blowing at it all all times so it never reaches 80 degrees. Not sure if removing the cover is a good idea.. or, perhaps have the holes cut into the cover at the top like how home receivers have grill like holes at the top for air to cool it...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Chris, might want to do a search on this thread. Not sure sensitive speakers like JTR match up great with an amp like emotiva , could have sworn I read some folks had issues with gain on the emotiva and the emotiva have no gain adjustments.
how do I search this thread for Emotiva. There is 14000+ posts. Is there a search feature I'm not seeing on my phone

Panasonic bluray
Comcast x1 cable box
240s surrounds
Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

No, for the CC you want the 60° on the horizontal axis. You need to look at the horn in total (not just the compression driver in the middle) to see this (it is deceptive).
Did you ask Jeff for a horizontal center and did he mark the box as center?

I asked for a horizontal centre, but no box is marked. I doubled checked again tonight just to be sure. The only marking on the boxes is a certification for weight carrying capacity. smile.gif

Looking at all three horns, I cannot see anything obvious that's different. The opening in the middle looks the same when they are all in the same orientation. Is there anything specific I should look for?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:

I asked for a horizontal centre, but no box is marked. I doubled checked again tonight just to be sure. The only marking on the boxes is a certification for weight carrying capacity. smile.gif

Looking at all three horns, I cannot see anything obvious that's different. The opening in the middle looks the same when they are all in the same orientation. Is there anything specific I should look for?

It literally takes a minute to pop out the horns, just pull them out and at least two of them will be the same way. Those would be the L/R's, and if Jeff forgot to have one horizontal at three will be the same way.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:

how do I search this thread for Emotiva. There is 14000+ posts. Is there a search feature I'm not seeing on my phone
Top of the page on left under the Official JTR Speakers Thread title in between subscribe and preference.

There is no issue with emotive amps that in line attenuators can't solve, They are good amps for the money. The Sherbourne you have started out at around $3500 and it is hard to find a quality 7 channel amp.

Chris

Chris
Old 01-04-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running 228HT with a Gen1 XPA-2. I have the ever so faintest hiss when nothing is playing. This is noticeable, but not intrusive up to about 5 feet away. My LP is about 14 ft away, so there are never issues for me.

That being said, I had about the same amount of hiss with my JBL Stadium Venue tower speakers that are rated at 88db sensitivity if I remember correctly. The JTRs didn't make it any more noticeable.

• Panasonic TC-P55ST30
• Pioneer SC-1323-K
• Emotiva XPA-2
• JTR Noesis 228HT LCR
• CHT 18.1
Old 01-04-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My condolences to the KC guys. Tough loss but a great game...

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Those guys have way too many cool ass GTG's to get any simpathy from me. biggrin.gif
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:

That was some horrific game planning in the second half. Reid never knew how to sit on a lead even in philly.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yeah Reid and his 17 varieties of screen passes... ugh. My best friend and a colleague of mine are both HUGE Chiefs fans and were suitably devastated. And they don't even have JTR speakers to soften the blow!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM

I added the S2 to the system tonight, and wow! So much better. Super smooth everything. I'm watching movies that I've watched 20 times in the past and hearing new sounds.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:

That was some horrific game planning in the second half. Reid never knew how to sit on a lead even in philly.
+1. Glad he was fired. I like him as a person but not as a coach. Jim Johnson was Andy Reid's success.
Gorilla83 likes this.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 423 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
I don't know guys..

I think it's easy to get spoiled by success. From my perspective the Eagles have been a relevant contender for the last 15 years winning numerous playoff games, 4 conference titles, and a superbowl appearance.

What do we have in that same time period? Nothing. Not a single playoff win. In fact it has been 20 years (when we had Joe Montana) since we won a playoff game and over 20 years before that without a playoff win.

Yes, Alex Smith made a huge impact this year. Yes we had a soft schedule. But godda*n I'm glad to have Andy Reid. He is the biggest reason we went from 2-14 to the playoffs and to me that's beyond impressive.
stitch1 likes this.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Couldn't agree more! Well said Carp!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't know guys..

I think it's easy to get spoiled by success. From my perspective the Eagles have been a relevant contender for the last 15 years winning numerous playoff games, 4 conference titles, and a superbowl appearance.

What do we have in that same time period? Nothing. Not a single playoff win. In fact it has been 20 years (when we had Joe Montana) since we won a playoff game and over 20 years before that without a playoff win.

Yes, Alex Smith made a huge impact this year. Yes we had a soft schedule. But godda*n I'm glad to have Andy Reid. He is the biggest reason we went from 2-14 to the playoffs and to me that's beyond impressive.

Have to agree Carp, other then getting Reid and Smither it's basically the same team that was 2-14 the year before so I think good things are in the future for the Chiefs.

But with that said GO BRONCOS! biggrin.gif
Reddig likes this.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 423 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

Couldn't agree more! Well said Carp!

Man.... that one hurt tonight. Maybe the toughest playoff loss yet. I'd say Lin Elliot's 3 missed field goals vs. Colts and Jim Harbaugh was worse though.... then there was the loss to the Colts and Payton vs. Trent Green/Priest Holmes/Greatest offensive live I've ever seen/ when neither team punted once the entire game.... damn Colts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Have to agree Carp, other then getting Reid and Smither it's basically the same team that was 2-14 the year before so I think good things are in the future for the Chiefs.

But with that said GO BRONCOS! biggrin.gif

I hate to admit this as a Chiefs fan but I have no problem pulling for old man Manning from here on out. I used to not like him but that seems to always change for me as great players get old and can still play.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

This is movie mode, music looks similar just boosted a bit more above 10 khz.
I thought music mode was flat and movie mode had the curve?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1236
Quote:

Man.... that one hurt tonight. Maybe the toughest playoff loss yet. I'd say Lin Elliot's 3 missed field goals vs. Colts and Jim Harbaugh was worse though.... then there was the loss to the Colts and Payton vs. Trent Green/Priest Holmes/Greatest offensive live I've ever seen/ when neither team punted once the entire game.... damn Colts.
I hate to admit this as a Chiefs fan but I have no problem pulling for old man Manning from here on out. I used to not like him but that seems to always change for me as great players get old and can still play.

Yesterday was as painful as it gets for Chiefs fans. Happy they got there after last year's performance, but losing a 28 point second half lead hurts. Very happy with coach and quarterback. Defense needs some work to stop top flight quarterbacks.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I wonder how the 215's would sound with 50hz XO and still run full sub set up. I have read some audio theory that XO at one full octave above the F3 is advantageous. Is anyone that is considering the 215's keeping their sub set up too? I am thinking the 215's with LG amp, 50-60hz xo and four OS's would be nice up to about 10k cu ft room and even better for 3600. It will be interesting to see how the larger waveguide performs with the same CD as the 212. I am sure better but how much better will be great to hear.

how are my northern California friends feeling today? Mighty cold in GB today. Hope we do not respond like one of the southern states in a snow storm that I mentioned earlier.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I wonder how the 215's would sound with 50hz XO and still run full sub set up. I have read some audio theory that XO at one full octave above the F3 is advantageous. Is anyone that is considering the 215's keeping their sub set up too? I am thinking the 215's with LG amp, 50-60hz xo and four OS's would be nice up to about 10k cu ft room and even better for 3600. It will be interesting to see how the larger waveguide performs with the same CD as the 212. I am sure better but how much better will be great to hear.

how are my northern California friends feeling today? Mighty cold in GB today. Hope we do not respond like one of the southern states in a snow storm that I mentioned earlier.

Yeah, great ... Ice Bowl 2 ... rolleyes.gif

LB, 215H's and 4 OS's? you are an official mad man... tongue.gifwink.gif

I'm pretty sure Nate will be keeping his subs but not I.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

This would work great with the S2 XO 50hz to handle all the low end. Sealed is easier to trim into the system and below 50hz is where the S2 excels. From 50hz up the 215t would have exceptional mid bass slam.

We will not know till we know but just guessing I would think the OS may be difficult to tame but if done properly it would incredible.smile.gif

Chris

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis