Official JTR speaker thread - Page 481 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14401 of 23867 Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner969 View Post

That was some horrific game planning in the second half. Reid never knew how to sit on a lead even in philly.
+1. Glad he was fired. I like him as a person but not as a coach. Jim Johnson was Andy Reid's success.
Gorilla83 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14402 of 23867 Old 01-04-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,256
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 498
I don't know guys..

I think it's easy to get spoiled by success. From my perspective the Eagles have been a relevant contender for the last 15 years winning numerous playoff games, 4 conference titles, and a superbowl appearance.

What do we have in that same time period? Nothing. Not a single playoff win. In fact it has been 20 years (when we had Joe Montana) since we won a playoff game and over 20 years before that without a playoff win.

Yes, Alex Smith made a huge impact this year. Yes we had a soft schedule. But godda*n I'm glad to have Andy Reid. He is the biggest reason we went from 2-14 to the playoffs and to me that's beyond impressive.
stitch1 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

carp is online now  
post #14403 of 23867 Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Couldn't agree more! Well said Carp!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stitch1 is offline  
post #14404 of 23867 Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,851
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't know guys..

I think it's easy to get spoiled by success. From my perspective the Eagles have been a relevant contender for the last 15 years winning numerous playoff games, 4 conference titles, and a superbowl appearance.

What do we have in that same time period? Nothing. Not a single playoff win. In fact it has been 20 years (when we had Joe Montana) since we won a playoff game and over 20 years before that without a playoff win.

Yes, Alex Smith made a huge impact this year. Yes we had a soft schedule. But godda*n I'm glad to have Andy Reid. He is the biggest reason we went from 2-14 to the playoffs and to me that's beyond impressive.

Have to agree Carp, other then getting Reid and Smither it's basically the same team that was 2-14 the year before so I think good things are in the future for the Chiefs.

But with that said GO BRONCOS! biggrin.gif
Reddig likes this.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #14405 of 23867 Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,256
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

Couldn't agree more! Well said Carp!

Man.... that one hurt tonight. Maybe the toughest playoff loss yet. I'd say Lin Elliot's 3 missed field goals vs. Colts and Jim Harbaugh was worse though.... then there was the loss to the Colts and Payton vs. Trent Green/Priest Holmes/Greatest offensive live I've ever seen/ when neither team punted once the entire game.... damn Colts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Have to agree Carp, other then getting Reid and Smither it's basically the same team that was 2-14 the year before so I think good things are in the future for the Chiefs.

But with that said GO BRONCOS! biggrin.gif

I hate to admit this as a Chiefs fan but I have no problem pulling for old man Manning from here on out. I used to not like him but that seems to always change for me as great players get old and can still play.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

carp is online now  
post #14406 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

This is movie mode, music looks similar just boosted a bit more above 10 khz.
I thought music mode was flat and movie mode had the curve?
DotJun is offline  
post #14407 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 06:35 AM
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Carp.. So are still using MCACC? Since you're selling the Onkyo? I've thought about selling my Elite SC-09TX. But in the end Ive decided to keep it longer. I'm pretty happy with the results that MCACC gives.


No, my frequency response above 300hz or so is so good that I don't need it. What I want is to be able to have a smooth response from 80-200 hz, I can get it that way with a high crossover but not with an 80hz crossover.

I think the only solution would be to get a 2nd minidsp and put that in the chain with my mains and then I could adjust 80-200hz while keeping an 80hz crossover.

Hmmm maybe I'll try to use the standing wave function or manual eq on MCACC again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Are you going to stay with the Pioneer or keep looking? I thought it sounded pretty good but the issue you had for music would be impossible for me to live with.


Yeah, I agree I really liked how it sounded - at first, but then fatigue set in and my ears got tired of it.

I'm sticking with the Elite until something next level amazing comes out - so probably for a long time.


@carp, you should check out Anthem Room Correction (ARC):

Quote:
Verification of the Functionality of the Maximum EQ Frequency Option

This is a key feature of the ARC system. The maximum frequency at which the EQ will affect the speaker's response is set by this parameter. It is unique among EQ systems in that the choice is user-dependent. Some systems may offer one option, typically at 300Hz, where the transition between the room's dominated frequency response moves to the speaker's dominated region, but ARC offers the ability to set the EQ frequency limit to any value between 200Hz and 20 kHz. Anthem sets 5 kHz as a default. This was used in all examples shown above.

^ From page 8 of this tech article: Anthem Room Correction (ARC) System - Part 1

ARC 1M is available on all Anthem Gen2 AVRs. Audioholics: Anthem MRX710, MRX510, MRX310 Gen2 AV Receivers Preview
.
GIEGAR is offline  
post #14408 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Man.... that one hurt tonight. Maybe the toughest playoff loss yet. I'd say Lin Elliot's 3 missed field goals vs. Colts and Jim Harbaugh was worse though.... then there was the loss to the Colts and Payton vs. Trent Green/Priest Holmes/Greatest offensive live I've ever seen/ when neither team punted once the entire game.... damn Colts.
I hate to admit this as a Chiefs fan but I have no problem pulling for old man Manning from here on out. I used to not like him but that seems to always change for me as great players get old and can still play.

Yesterday was as painful as it gets for Chiefs fans. Happy they got there after last year's performance, but losing a 28 point second half lead hurts. Very happy with coach and quarterback. Defense needs some work to stop top flight quarterbacks.

Varibus Mari Victoria
NWCgrad is online now  
post #14409 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I wonder how the 215's would sound with 50hz XO and still run full sub set up. I have read some audio theory that XO at one full octave above the F3 is advantageous. Is anyone that is considering the 215's keeping their sub set up too? I am thinking the 215's with LG amp, 50-60hz xo and four OS's would be nice up to about 10k cu ft room and even better for 3600. It will be interesting to see how the larger waveguide performs with the same CD as the 212. I am sure better but how much better will be great to hear.

how are my northern California friends feeling today? Mighty cold in GB today. Hope we do not respond like one of the southern states in a snow storm that I mentioned earlier.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #14410 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,888
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I wonder how the 215's would sound with 50hz XO and still run full sub set up. I have read some audio theory that XO at one full octave above the F3 is advantageous. Is anyone that is considering the 215's keeping their sub set up too? I am thinking the 215's with LG amp, 50-60hz xo and four OS's would be nice up to about 10k cu ft room and even better for 3600. It will be interesting to see how the larger waveguide performs with the same CD as the 212. I am sure better but how much better will be great to hear.

how are my northern California friends feeling today? Mighty cold in GB today. Hope we do not respond like one of the southern states in a snow storm that I mentioned earlier.

Yeah, great ... Ice Bowl 2 ... rolleyes.gif

LB, 215H's and 4 OS's? you are an official mad man... tongue.gifwink.gif

I'm pretty sure Nate will be keeping his subs but not I.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #14411 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I wonder how the 215's would sound with 50hz XO and still run full sub set up. I have read some audio theory that XO at one full octave above the F3 is advantageous. Is anyone that is considering the 215's keeping their sub set up too? I am thinking the 215's with LG amp, 50-60hz xo and four OS's would be nice up to about 10k cu ft room and even better for 3600. It will be interesting to see how the larger waveguide performs with the same CD as the 212. I am sure better but how much better will be great to hear.

how are my northern California friends feeling today? Mighty cold in GB today. Hope we do not respond like one of the southern states in a snow storm that I mentioned earlier.
This would work great with the S2 XO 50hz to handle all the low end. Sealed is easier to trim into the system and below 50hz is where the S2 excels. From 50hz up the 215t would have exceptional mid bass slam.

We will not know till we know but just guessing I would think the OS may be difficult to tame but if done properly it would incredible.smile.gif

Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #14412 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I wonder how the 215's would sound with 50hz XO and still run full sub set up. I have read some audio theory that XO at one full octave above the F3 is advantageous. Is anyone that is considering the 215's keeping their sub set up too? I am thinking the 215's with LG amp, 50-60hz xo and four OS's would be nice up to about 10k cu ft room and even better for 3600. It will be interesting to see how the larger waveguide performs with the same CD as the 212. I am sure better but how much better will be great to hear.

how are my northern California friends feeling today? Mighty cold in GB today. Hope we do not respond like one of the southern states in a snow storm that I mentioned earlier.

I was wondering the same thing... Replace the 212's with three of the 215's...or just 2-215's and a 212 for the center, then keep my subs. It will be interesting to see if the cost would be justified in an increase of performance... biggrin.gif
COACH2369 is offline  
post #14413 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I doubt I will actually do it because I think the 215's will just protrude too much into my room but it sure would be fun to try! now the LG and another OS is still possible.biggrin.gif

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #14414 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I doubt I will actually do it because I think the 215's will just protrude too much into my room but it sure would be fun to try! now the LG and another OS is still possible.biggrin.gif

That is my problem. My room just doesn't fit the 215s without moving everything around, going to an AT screen and buying a new amp powerful enough to drive them. Just made more sense to get the 212s and keep my S2 subs. I am, however, eager to hear reviews. I bet they will sound similar to the 212s but with much more capability below 80hz.


My updated (2/2014)HT set-up


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frohlich is online now  
post #14415 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tsloms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post


how are my northern California friends feeling today? Mighty cold in GB today. Hope we do not respond like one of the southern states in a snow storm that I mentioned earlier.
Do you live in GB? I live just 30 mins south of there. I'm hoping these frigid temps help out the Pack as it did in the original
Ice bowl. Go Pack!!
tsloms is offline  
post #14416 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

That is my problem. My room just doesn't fit the 215s without moving everything around, going to an AT screen and buying a new amp powerful enough to drive them. Just made more sense to get the 212s and keep my S2 subs. I am, however, eager to hear reviews. I bet they will sound similar to the 212s but with much more capability below 80hz.

Once you get those bad boys broken in and dialed in, you should be very happy.

We watched a movie last night and I was reminded, yet again, why I ended up with the 212's.... smile.gifbiggrin.gif
COACH2369 is offline  
post #14417 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Do you live in GB? I live just 30 mins south of there. I'm hoping these frigid temps help out the Pack as it did in the original
Ice bowl. Go Pack!!
I'm im milw. The wind chill by the end of the game is going to be crazy cold!! go pack

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #14418 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,888
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

That is my problem. My room just doesn't fit the 215s without moving everything around, going to an AT screen and buying a new amp powerful enough to drive them. Just made more sense to get the 212s and keep my S2 subs. I am, however, eager to hear reviews. I bet they will sound similar to the 212s but with much more capability below 80hz.

Ya think? tongue.gifwink.gif

I did this move because the idea of an uber full range speaker has always intrigued me. When Jeff came up with the 210T idea I was interested but didn't like the idea of keeping the OS's in the mix. For me, it was go big with the LCR's, or don't go at all.

Like the OS's, these speakers are huge and that makes them appeal to a much smaller audience. I have the space for them and will like the look of three large towers at the front of the room. If the bass works out as projected, I will be happy. If not, I will have to supplement as required but I am gaining confidence that the final result will be impressive and very satisfying.

We shall see ... smile.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #14419 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Once you get those bad boys broken in and dialed in, you should be very happy.

We watched a movie last night and I was reminded, yet again, why I ended up with the 212's.... smile.gifbiggrin.gif
I am curious about the 215 but the 212 is awesome. still my favorite purchase so far. OS's are close second

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #14420 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Member
 
drpete12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I posted this on jtr speakerforum but I will repost it here (didn't get any answers there)


Best pro audio amp for jtr speakers

Hi everyone,

I have read thru all the threads pertaining to this but I still have questions. I saw Jeff's post regarding this and his suggestions. So in no organized manner, here are my questions.

Looking for best bang for the buck without too much compromise. That rules out lab gruppen (one of Jeff's recommendations). Qsc seems to be more doable. Jeff recommends the dca series. Here is my equipment list if it helps. Lcr triple 12's. Surrounds will be slant 8's x 4 in a few months. Integra 80.3 and qsc dsp-30 and two seaton subs. Outlaw 7900 amp (7 x 450 @ 4 ohm)

Would like to feed 1200 watts @ 4 ohm or more for the three fronts. Dca 3422 (or higher model) will do this for left and right. What do I do for center. Dc1222 bridged 4 ohm will give 1200 watts. I keep reading how bridged amp doubles slew or something like that. Means nothing to me. Is this how it would be done or is there loss of quality this way.

I don't think I will need any dsp control on the amps (if I will please let me know) but if I don't then can I drop to a lower line of qsc. Something that is the dca without the feautures that may go unused. If it is financially doable to jump up to 1500 watts is it worth it?

Also I see alot of posts on forums about jtr's being powered by crown amps (specifically xls series). Worth going with these or am I compromising.

I am at a total loss with this pro amp stuff. Not sure what I need to pay for and what I would be paying for and not using. Equipment room is completely separate location so I don't care about lights flashing or fan noise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Peter
drpete12 is online now  
post #14421 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Member
 
selkec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: indianapolis
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Man.... that one hurt tonight. Maybe the toughest playoff loss yet. I'd say Lin Elliot's 3 missed field goals vs. Colts and Jim Harbaugh was worse though.... then there was the loss to the Colts and Payton vs. Trent Green/Priest Holmes/Greatest offensive live I've ever seen/ when neither team punted once the entire game.... damn Colts.
I hate to admit this as a Chiefs fan but I have no problem pulling for old man Manning from here on out. I used to not like him but that seems to always change for me as great players get old and can still play.

Whoohoo. For colts!!!!!!!!!

Processing- Sherbourn 7020C4
Amps- Sherbourn PA7-350, two Behringer EP4000s
Speakers- JTR Triple 12s for mains, triple 8 center, Volt 8 surrounds
Subs- 4 mach 5 audio IXL 18s
PJ- Panasonic pt-ae4000
112" fixed screen
selkec is offline  
post #14422 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,106
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Can someone who knows definitively provide a link or perhaps you know 100%.

What BMS drivers are used in each JTR speaker? Single 8, Triple 8, Triple 12, 228 Noesis, 212 Noesis? I know for sure the 228 and 212. Just curious smile.gif

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #14423 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Once you get those bad boys broken in and dialed in, you should be very happy.

We watched a movie last night and I was reminded, yet again, why I ended up with the 212's.... smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Still planning a golf day down your way after you get the 215s tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Ya think? tongue.gifwink.gif

I did this move because the idea of an uber full range speaker has always intrigued me. When Jeff came up with the 210T idea I was interested but didn't like the idea of keeping the OS's in the mix. For me, it was go big with the LCR's, or don't go at all.

Like the OS's, these speakers are huge and that makes them appeal to a much smaller audience. I have the space for them and will like the look of three large towers at the front of the room. If the bass works out as projected, I will be happy. If not, I will have to supplement as required but I am gaining confidence that the final result will be impressive and very satisfying.

We shall see ... smile.gif

If I was one of the west coast guys I would call dibs on your 215s after Jeff comes out with the 218s next year wink.gifbiggrin.gif


My updated (2/2014)HT set-up


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frohlich is online now  
post #14424 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Sounds like I should have looked at an OS before I went the DIY route... love my subs though.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #14425 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,888
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Still planning a golf day down your way after you get the 215s tongue.gif
If I was one of the west coast guys I would call dibs on your 215s after Jeff comes out with the 218s next year wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Could happen ... tongue.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #14426 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Troll
 
ufokillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 1,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post

I posted this on jtr speakerforum but I will repost it here (didn't get any answers there)


Best pro audio amp for jtr speakers

Hi everyone,

I have read thru all the threads pertaining to this but I still have questions. I saw Jeff's post regarding this and his suggestions. So in no organized manner, here are my questions.

Looking for best bang for the buck without too much compromise. That rules out lab gruppen (one of Jeff's recommendations). Qsc seems to be more doable. Jeff recommends the dca series. Here is my equipment list if it helps. Lcr triple 12's. Surrounds will be slant 8's x 4 in a few months. Integra 80.3 and qsc dsp-30 and two seaton subs. Outlaw 7900 amp (7 x 450 @ 4 ohm)

Would like to feed 1200 watts @ 4 ohm or more for the three fronts. Dca 3422 (or higher model) will do this for left and right. What do I do for center. Dc1222 bridged 4 ohm will give 1200 watts. I keep reading how bridged amp doubles slew or something like that. Means nothing to me. Is this how it would be done or is there loss of quality this way.

I don't think I will need any dsp control on the amps (if I will please let me know) but if I don't then can I drop to a lower line of qsc. Something that is the dca without the feautures that may go unused. If it is financially doable to jump up to 1500 watts is it worth it?

Also I see alot of posts on forums about jtr's being powered by crown amps (specifically xls series). Worth going with these or am I compromising.

I am at a total loss with this pro amp stuff. Not sure what I need to pay for and what I would be paying for and not using. Equipment room is completely separate location so I don't care about lights flashing or fan noise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Peter

your outlaw 7900 is more then adequate to give you hearing damage. you gain maybe 4-5db headroom with the 1200watts vs 450watts. Is a pro amp a total requirement for you?
HTPCat likes this.
ufokillerz is offline  
post #14427 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

your outlaw 7900 is more then adequate to give you hearing damage. you gain maybe 4-5db headroom with the 1200watts vs 450watts. Is a pro amp a total requirement for you?
+1 I see no need to get a pro amp unless there is a requirement for a pro amp. I have run my JTR LCR T12s with a cinepro 3k6 (6 CH X 700W @ 4 ohms), Emotiva XPA-5 1st gen (5 CH X 300W @ 4 ohms) & currently using Denon AVR4311 internal amps (7 CH X 140W @ 8 ohms) and haven't heard any difference in performance. I don't typically listen at crazy levels, but on occasion I will go to reference or a little above.
Archaea likes this.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

HTPCat is offline  
post #14428 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Member
 
drpete12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would like to see what these speakers sounds like with full power and no compression limits. I don't always listen crazy loud but sometimes do. I trust Jeff's opinion and he has said in multiple posts that there is no negative to feeding these lots of power. Now if what you are saying is I won't be able to take them loud enough to hear this than I will value your opinion but would like to hear from those who are feeding jtr speakers with alot of wattage pro amps.

I admit in all honesty that I am one hindered percent ignorant with this stuff, but I am smart enough to 1) ask before I do anything and 2) trust the avsforum to do me right in education as they (you) have never steered me wrong yet.

There are alot of people feeding alot of power to their speakers it can't be for nothing.

Thanks

Peter
drpete12 is online now  
post #14429 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,040
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I'd be willing to bet carp has listened to his 212HT more hours than anyone else in the world besides Jeff Permanian. He's spoke up on his thoughts on amps on a couple of occasions.

He uses a Pioneer AVR without an amp right now if that signifies anything. If you are going to power the 212HT at a 500 person wedding party you might need a pro amp. For in room theater use, an AVR is just fine in my experience.

I have an Onkyo PR-SC5508 and Sherbourn 7-350 and I'm considering selling the two units and going back to my Onkyo TX-NR1007 with onboard amps and putting a couple grand + back in my pocket.

I can't tell the difference in my JTR 228HT with the following amps.

Crown XLS-202
Onkyo TX-NR1007
Sherbourn 7-350

I could tell a bit of a difference with the iNuke DSP 3000 and there was a measurable difference in frequency response as measured with omnimic.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457284/onkyo-tx-nr1007-avr-vs-crown-xls-202-vs-behringer-inuke-dsp-3000-in-room-omnimic-frequency-response-graph-comparison

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Archaea is online now  
post #14430 of 23867 Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Member
 
drpete12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You guys are great. Always stopping me from wasting my money. Maybe I will take that amp money and get my wife something. NOT smile.gif
drpete12 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off