Official JTR speaker thread - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6946Likes

Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Not to mention I remember how torn he was buying a pair of RF7-II's and an RC-64....lol:p

I didn't know he was considering those too..... WOW...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

So, if my math is right it adds up to about $50,000. But the real question is how would you fit all of that into a 3000 cubic foot room? Pics or it didn't happen.

Thank you for adding it all up... That is quite the investment.

We definitely need to see pictures of the guys unloading the pallets into his driveway....
Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

As nice as it is to have a plan going into your "listening" stage of HT design, MY main suggestion would be to make sure you can be versatile. The placement of the OS mouths, height of the 212's etc are all going to be crap shoots for any of us to call. You simply have to get them all in the room and listen to see what you feel sounds the best. The OS horns could be very sensitive to placement, where facing out of facing in might make a big difference!

Just remember, regardless of how good it looks on paper, it makes no difference if it doesn't SOUND right to you...

My plans have been to test sound first, then do necessary construction. The drawings hopefully just help everyone get a visual about my specific questions regarding OS mouth. LRC placement definitely flexible. Just have to decide on LFU or LF.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Looking back and re-reading his post...it definitely sounds like he is mocking some people on this forum. So who ever said trolling at first probably hit the nail on the head. Maybe he is jealous of some of the things that people have??? I do not know, but this seems very juvenile to me!

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Looking back and re-reading his post...it definitely sounds like he is mocking some people on this forum. So who ever said trolling at first probably hit the nail on the head. Maybe he is jealous of some of the things that people have??? I do not know, but this seems very juvenile to me!

Haha...yeah I think so. I was going to put up my own mock post where I was getting 4 S2s this week but then realized that would be realistic on this thread...someone already has those.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 883
I would suggest we all drop it, no need to feed the trolls.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So are you having a false wall and AT screen? I'm just curious as to why you're limited so much with the width of the speaker setup?

another thing to keep in mind, is that I have found that at least with the 228HT's that the left and right speakers seem to sound better with a fair bit of toe in. So they won't just be facing straight out into the room, so you'd also need to account for the extra little bit of side to side space it takes to toe them in.

Yes, false wall/screen all will be in front, hence the question about firing forward towards seats or towards side walls. There isn't too much restriction on false wall, just screen size.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Yes, false wall/screen all will be in front, hence the question about firing forward towards seats or towards side walls. There isn't restriction on width...I have the entire wall to play with.

If the subs are set sideways on the floor, do you really need to worry about them sticking out below your AT screen? Meaning the subs could stick out 10" further into the room than your screen but it shouldn't affect the size of the screen you can use unless you don't want anything to stick out.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

If the subs are set sideways on the floor, do you really need to worry about them sticking out below your AT screen? Meaning the subs could stick out 10" further into the room than your screen but it shouldn't affect the size of the screen you can use unless you don't want anything to stick out.

I want to keep everything hidden behind false wall. I am trying to max out screen size, so height of screen may fall in front of OS mouth with a LFU on its side...concern was whether air would move screen and is it better to fire towards corners for better bass.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to keep everything hidden behind false wall. I am trying to max out screen size, so height of screen may fall in front of OS mouth with a LFU on its side...concern was whether air would move screen and is it better to fire towards corners for better bass.
If you have the mouth of the OS pointing towards the wall, it will extend the length of the fold.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Yes, the screen in front of the mouth would definitely move the screen in big scenes. noticeable? Not sure. Depends on how well you anchor that false wall biggrin.gif Having the ports fire to sides might be fine as well. You'll need to listen to all the ways they COULD be positioned.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have the mouth of the OS pointing towards the wall, it will extend the length of the fold.

Not familiar with how fold length impacts output...what will result be of extending fold?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

So how wide is your front wall?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not familiar with how fold length impacts output...what will result be of extending fold?

Having subs next to a wall gets you 6dB of additional sensitivity below about 80Hz, and putting
them in a corner an extra 12dB

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Point Source

Quote:

Lower tune. Essentially backing the sub up to a wall or corner makes the fold of the horn effectively "longer" this dropping the corner tuning freq some. This would more than likely be a good thing for you smile.gif
asoofi1 likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Point Source

Quote:

Having subs next to a wall gets you 6dB of additional sensitivity below about 80Hz, and putting
them in a corner an extra 12dB

That is just the benefit of corner loading, extending the length of a horn is inherently a different concept which I explained above.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you can just get away with two OS ULF's, one in between the left and center and right and center.

Forum member vikgrao runs the OS ULF's in between his Cat 12C's and I don't think has had any issues.

asoofi1 likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

My new JTR setup!

Hey guys.... I wanted to surprise you with my new JTR setup. I hope it isn't overkill!

I originally wanted a good 'ole 5.1 setup, just to stick to the standard home-theater format, you know? However, after consulting with JTR fans on AVSforum, I've decided that "standard is lame", and "we only live once". What good mottos to live by! Anyway, I decided to really reach for my dreams. So, I've cashed out my 401k, and I've taken out a HELOC on my home, and I've decided to go all-out and purchase a full-blown 11.4 JTR system!

My system consists of... 11 JTR Noesis 212HT-Lps, and 4 Orbit shifters. Each 212 will be mono-blocked with a Emotiva XPR-1 1000w monoblock. 4 AWG speaker wire all the way around, for good measure!

After consulting with Jeff at JTR, he confided in me that he couldn't ethically sell me an 11.4 system that I could ill afford. What a great guy! Luckily, I assured him that AVS members cash out their 401ks and IRAs all the time for their hobby, and it's not really a big deal. He finally conceded my point, and decided to to sell me a system. He also felt compelled to upgrade me to some more bass, to ensure that I don't get diagnosed with the dreaded "upgradeitis" in a few weeks. He threw in another Orbit Shifter, to give me an 11.5 system! Hooray!

So, when it arrives next week, I'm setting this up in my 3000 cubic foot media room. Anyone care to visit?
This is unreal. If your Serious Your The Man!!!! If this is a Joke It Ain't Funny.

Seriously Congratulations!!!

You may want to research that XPR-1 amp choice. It may very well end up sounding like Hornets built a nest in your 212s. You must have a Pre-amp with XLR outputs to avoid this.

Good Luck
Chris

Oh Yeah. Technically this is a 11.1 system with 5 subwoofers but With a system like this you can call it whatever you want. wink.gif

Chris
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Ok, I know there are a lot of people on this forum with room treatment experience...I am not one of them smile.gif My room is fully carpeted and has no windows so there aren't really any hard surfaces to cause sound reflections. It of course has plenty of drywall so its not like its acoustically ideal.

left wall -My room really doesn't have a left wall when in the seating position since it opens up to the other part of the basement.

rear wall - The rear wall is really an opening for a bar so not too much I could do there except for right around the rear surround speakers.

front wall - My initial thought is to maybe treat the front wall where my screen is. Maybe litterally treat everything outside of the screen so the whole front wall is treated..or I could just hang a few large panels.

right wall - The right wall has pictures on it and I would rather leave them alone.

ceiling - The option is maybe some ceiling treatments that would serve both as acoustic treament and perhaps to help keep reflections off my projector screen.

Am I on the right path? Any words of wisdom? Below are a couple of pictures to help give a sense for my layout.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Point Source

In my personal opinion order of importance:

Right Side Wall: At least one panel to treat first order reflections from your right speaker, and a second for first order reflections from your left
Front wall: Behind each main speaker, the rest is pretty limited it appears to what you could do.
Ceiling: Usually offers very impressive improvements and I might almost slide this above front wall absorbtion, but it tends to be more difficult and harder on the WAF.
Rear wall: Still a little difficult with all you have going on there... but around the t'8s and underneath the bar isn't a terrible idea.
Frohlich likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you can just get away with two OS ULF's, one in between the left and center and right and center.

Forum member vikgrao runs the OS ULF's in between his Cat 12C's and I don't think has had any issues.

That's very helpful. I think overall the LFU offers more options, horizontal and vertical. LF only has horizontal. Might have to go with vertical and save space.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's very helpful. I think overall the LFU offers more options, horizontal and vertical. LF only has horizontal. Might have to go with vertical and save space.

Well remember the LFU came out after the LF and has a little more output down low.
asoofi1 likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Surrounds: slanted or lp? I was thinking I could always hang an lp at a 30 degree angle if I wanted a slant. Was thinking of build columns and enclose possibly. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Ok, I know there are a lot of people on this forum with room treatment experience...I am not one of them smile.gif My room is fully carpeted and has no windows so there aren't really any hard surfaces to cause sound reflections. It of course has plenty of drywall so its not like its acoustically ideal.

left wall -My room really doesn't have a left wall when in the seating position since it opens up to the other part of the basement.

rear wall - The rear wall is really an opening for a bar so not too much I could do there except for right around the rear surround speakers.

front wall - My initial thought is to maybe treat the front wall where my screen is. Maybe litterally treat everything outside of the screen so the whole front wall is treated..or I could just hang a few large panels.

right wall - The right wall has pictures on it and I would rather leave them alone.

ceiling - The option is maybe some ceiling treatments that would serve both as acoustic treament and perhaps to help keep reflections off my projector screen.

Am I on the right path? Any words of wisdom? Below are a couple of pictures to help give a sense for my layout.

Your set-up is Easy on the Eye. Very Appealing!! smile.gif

I 2nd Beast's advice/recommendation.

Chris

Chris
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

I always wondered about this. What if you had your entire backwall stuffed with rockwool as part of your bass trap, would facing the wall still work? Wouldn't that absorb all the bass before it gets out to the room?

Quote:

With LF version of OS, would this placement work well? The OS mouth would be about 3' feet away from each side wall. I was thinking about the LFU version, but the 50" height would restrict space and access, and laying on side, it would need 32"+ depth space behind the false wall...and the mouth would fire towards seats. An AT screen would cover everything. Was planning to place triangle bass traps in front corners, likely top to bottom.

Also, if anyone has used OS as a stand with some rubber caps at points of contact on speaker, were vibrations a huge concern? The OS LF has a 30" height placed like this, with 212 on top:

*This is wide configuration of the room. Not sure if I'll stay wide, or go long ways...but front stage setup will likely remain the same either way.

I noticed that everyone seems to have a 'frontstage'... the riser at the front that jutts out a bit looking like a cinema... is this for aesthetic reasons alone or is there an acoustic angle to it? I was just thinking of not raising the frontstage and just leave the speakers on the floor behind the AT screen. Is that a good idea?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Point Source

It won't absorb squat that low in the FR spectrum. Even wall panels 6 inches can only be effective down to around 100hz. the reason putting a horn in a corner lowers the corner is if you think about it, the "Mouth" of the horn is no longer at the end of the box. It is now extended up the wall to above the enclosure, therefore extending the horn and in turn, lowering the tune.

Stages look pretty, nothing really acoustic there unless you take into account using the stage to bring your overall speaker height up more to work well for a second row MLP or something. I have thought about doing one for a while as IMO it takes the presentation to another level. But until I stop switching things around so much, I will just stick with what I've got for now.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

It won't absorb squat that low in the FR spectrum. Even wall panels 6 inches can only be effective down to around 100hz. the reason putting a horn in a corner lowers the corner is if you think about it, the "Mouth" of the horn is no longer at the end of the box. It is now extended up the wall to above the enclosure, therefore extending the horn and in turn, lowering the tune.

Stages look pretty, nothing really acoustic there unless you take into account using the stage to bring your overall speaker height up more to work well for a second row MLP or something. I have thought about doing one for a while as IMO it takes the presentation to another level. But until I stop switching things around so much, I will just stick with what I've got for now.

Ah. Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

I always wondered about this. What if you had your entire backwall stuffed with rockwool as part of your bass trap, would facing the wall still work? Wouldn't that absorb all the bass before it gets out to the room?
I noticed that everyone seems to have a 'frontstage'... the riser at the front that jutts out a bit looking like a cinema... is this for aesthetic reasons alone or is there an acoustic angle to it? I was just thinking of not raising the frontstage and just leave the speakers on the floor behind the AT screen. Is that a good idea?

I will be treating the front wall, not sure to what extent just yet. I like idea of doing a baffle wall, but have to do some trials first once speakers arrive. The front wall treatment usually isn't for bass traps...more for keeping higher frequencies in the room. My traps will be stacked in corners.

The stage is def more aesthetically pleasing and gives a nice separation of space, but not a requirement. Also, I'll be filling with sand to keep down rattles and vibrations. Who knows...I could get lazy and just start watching movies on the wall wink.gif
Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will be treating the front wall, not sure to what extent just yet. I like idea of doing a baffle wall, but have to do some trials first once speakers arrive. The front wall treatment usually isn't for bass traps...more for keeping higher frequencies in the room. My traps will be stacked in corners.

The stage is def more aesthetically pleasing and gives a nice separation of space, but not a requirement. Also, I'll be filling with sand to keep down rattles and vibrations. Who knows...I could get lazy and just start watching movies on the wall wink.gif

The sand part is always fun, I really enjoyed jugging 2500lbs of sand down into my theatre room to fill my stage up rolleyes.gif LOL
At least I can say I'm part of the club now!..lol

Have you decided on a screen yet?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello Avs Members ,

Please help me in Deciding 5.1 Speakers for My Home Theater.
This will be my first System and Based on the Reviews i am intrested in SALK AND JTR
Room Size is 15X20 Seating Distance will be 15 X 17.

Only thing that i am worried about is the "Hiss" issue Reported by fellow Avs members From JTR NOESIS.
Initially i am planning to run the Speakers using Receiver, and might include Amp later.

Can some one please confirm that there is no Hiss when JTR's Run using Receiver.

One more thing is that i can't Extend my budget more that 12-13K for Speakers.

This Set will be used 100% movies

Option 1
JTR Noesis 212 HT (3X2299) = 6897
JTR Noesis 228 HT (2X1299) = 2598
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 1000
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 13334

Option 2 -- Wait until March for 210's
JTR Noesis 210 HT (3X2500) = 7500
JTR Single 8HT (2X999) = 1998