Official JTR speaker thread - Page 487 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14581 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
In my personal opinion order of importance:

Right Side Wall: At least one panel to treat first order reflections from your right speaker, and a second for first order reflections from your left
Front wall: Behind each main speaker, the rest is pretty limited it appears to what you could do.
Ceiling: Usually offers very impressive improvements and I might almost slide this above front wall absorbtion, but it tends to be more difficult and harder on the WAF.
Rear wall: Still a little difficult with all you have going on there... but around the t'8s and underneath the bar isn't a terrible idea.
Frohlich likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14582 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I think you can just get away with two OS ULF's, one in between the left and center and right and center.

Forum member vikgrao runs the OS ULF's in between his Cat 12C's and I don't think has had any issues.


That's very helpful. I think overall the LFU offers more options, horizontal and vertical. LF only has horizontal. Might have to go with vertical and save space.

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
asoofi1 is offline  
post #14583 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 4,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

That's very helpful. I think overall the LFU offers more options, horizontal and vertical. LF only has horizontal. Might have to go with vertical and save space.

Well remember the LFU came out after the LF and has a little more output down low.
asoofi1 likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #14584 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Surrounds: slanted or lp? I was thinking I could always hang an lp at a 30 degree angle if I wanted a slant. Was thinking of build columns and enclose possibly. Thoughts?

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
asoofi1 is offline  
post #14585 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Ok, I know there are a lot of people on this forum with room treatment experience...I am not one of them smile.gif My room is fully carpeted and has no windows so there aren't really any hard surfaces to cause sound reflections. It of course has plenty of drywall so its not like its acoustically ideal.

left wall -My room really doesn't have a left wall when in the seating position since it opens up to the other part of the basement.

rear wall - The rear wall is really an opening for a bar so not too much I could do there except for right around the rear surround speakers.

front wall - My initial thought is to maybe treat the front wall where my screen is. Maybe litterally treat everything outside of the screen so the whole front wall is treated..or I could just hang a few large panels.

right wall - The right wall has pictures on it and I would rather leave them alone.

ceiling - The option is maybe some ceiling treatments that would serve both as acoustic treament and perhaps to help keep reflections off my projector screen.

Am I on the right path? Any words of wisdom? Below are a couple of pictures to help give a sense for my layout.







Your set-up is Easy on the Eye. Very Appealing!! smile.gif

I 2nd Beast's advice/recommendation.

Chris
countryWV is offline  
post #14586 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

If you have the mouth of the OS pointing towards the wall, it will extend the length of the fold.

I always wondered about this. What if you had your entire backwall stuffed with rockwool as part of your bass trap, would facing the wall still work? Wouldn't that absorb all the bass before it gets out to the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

With LF version of OS, would this placement work well? The OS mouth would be about 3' feet away from each side wall. I was thinking about the LFU version, but the 50" height would restrict space and access, and laying on side, it would need 32"+ depth space behind the false wall...and the mouth would fire towards seats. An AT screen would cover everything. Was planning to place triangle bass traps in front corners, likely top to bottom.

Also, if anyone has used OS as a stand with some rubber caps at points of contact on speaker, were vibrations a huge concern? The OS LF has a 30" height placed like this, with 212 on top:


*This is wide configuration of the room. Not sure if I'll stay wide, or go long ways...but front stage setup will likely remain the same either way.

I noticed that everyone seems to have a 'frontstage'... the riser at the front that jutts out a bit looking like a cinema... is this for aesthetic reasons alone or is there an acoustic angle to it? I was just thinking of not raising the frontstage and just leave the speakers on the floor behind the AT screen. Is that a good idea?
coolgeek is offline  
post #14587 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
It won't absorb squat that low in the FR spectrum. Even wall panels 6 inches can only be effective down to around 100hz. the reason putting a horn in a corner lowers the corner is if you think about it, the "Mouth" of the horn is no longer at the end of the box. It is now extended up the wall to above the enclosure, therefore extending the horn and in turn, lowering the tune.

Stages look pretty, nothing really acoustic there unless you take into account using the stage to bring your overall speaker height up more to work well for a second row MLP or something. I have thought about doing one for a while as IMO it takes the presentation to another level. But until I stop switching things around so much, I will just stick with what I've got for now.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #14588 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

It won't absorb squat that low in the FR spectrum. Even wall panels 6 inches can only be effective down to around 100hz. the reason putting a horn in a corner lowers the corner is if you think about it, the "Mouth" of the horn is no longer at the end of the box. It is now extended up the wall to above the enclosure, therefore extending the horn and in turn, lowering the tune.

Stages look pretty, nothing really acoustic there unless you take into account using the stage to bring your overall speaker height up more to work well for a second row MLP or something. I have thought about doing one for a while as IMO it takes the presentation to another level. But until I stop switching things around so much, I will just stick with what I've got for now.

Ah. Thanks
coolgeek is offline  
post #14589 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

I always wondered about this. What if you had your entire backwall stuffed with rockwool as part of your bass trap, would facing the wall still work? Wouldn't that absorb all the bass before it gets out to the room?
I noticed that everyone seems to have a 'frontstage'... the riser at the front that jutts out a bit looking like a cinema... is this for aesthetic reasons alone or is there an acoustic angle to it? I was just thinking of not raising the frontstage and just leave the speakers on the floor behind the AT screen. Is that a good idea?

I will be treating the front wall, not sure to what extent just yet. I like idea of doing a baffle wall, but have to do some trials first once speakers arrive. The front wall treatment usually isn't for bass traps...more for keeping higher frequencies in the room. My traps will be stacked in corners.

The stage is def more aesthetically pleasing and gives a nice separation of space, but not a requirement. Also, I'll be filling with sand to keep down rattles and vibrations. Who knows...I could get lazy and just start watching movies on the wall wink.gif

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
asoofi1 is offline  
post #14590 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 4,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

I will be treating the front wall, not sure to what extent just yet. I like idea of doing a baffle wall, but have to do some trials first once speakers arrive. The front wall treatment usually isn't for bass traps...more for keeping higher frequencies in the room. My traps will be stacked in corners.

The stage is def more aesthetically pleasing and gives a nice separation of space, but not a requirement. Also, I'll be filling with sand to keep down rattles and vibrations. Who knows...I could get lazy and just start watching movies on the wall wink.gif


The sand part is always fun, I really enjoyed jugging 2500lbs of sand down into my theatre room to fill my stage up rolleyes.gif LOL
At least I can say I'm part of the club now!..lol

Have you decided on a screen yet?

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #14591 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Newbie
 
devarade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Avs Members ,

Please help me in Deciding 5.1 Speakers for My Home Theater.
This will be my first System and Based on the Reviews i am intrested in SALK AND JTR
Room Size is 15X20 Seating Distance will be 15 X 17.

Only thing that i am worried about is the "Hiss" issue Reported by fellow Avs members From JTR NOESIS.
Initially i am planning to run the Speakers using Receiver, and might include Amp later.

Can some one please confirm that there is no Hiss when JTR's Run using Receiver.

One more thing is that i can't Extend my budget more that 12-13K for Speakers.

This Set will be used 100% movies

Option 1
JTR Noesis 212 HT (3X2299) = 6897
JTR Noesis 228 HT (2X1299) = 2598
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 1000
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 13334

Option 2 -- Wait until March for 210's
JTR Noesis 210 HT (3X2500) = 7500
JTR Single 8HT (2X999) = 1998
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 600
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 12937

Option 3

Salk Veracity HT3(2X4000) = 6000
Salk Center = 1695
Salk Veracity HT1 = 2699
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Shipping = 500

Total = 12233


Thanks for all the Help
devarade is offline  
post #14592 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarade View Post

Hello Avs Members ,

Please help me in Deciding 5.1 Speakers for My Home Theater.
This will be my first System and Based on the Reviews i am intrested in SALK AND JTR
Room Size is 15X20 Seating Distance will be 15 X 17.

Only thing that i am worried about is the "Hiss" issue Reported by fellow Avs members From JTR NOESIS.
Initially i am planning to run the Speakers using Receiver, and might include Amp later.

Can some one please confirm that there is no Hiss when JTR's Run using Receiver.

One more thing is that i can't Extend my budget more that 12-13K for Speakers.

This Set will be used 100% movies

Option 1
JTR Noesis 212 HT (3X2299) = 6897
JTR Noesis 228 HT (2X1299) = 2598
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 1000
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 13334

Option 2 -- Wait until March for 210's
JTR Noesis 210 HT (3X2500) = 7500
JTR Single 8HT (2X999) = 1998
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 600
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 12937

Option 3

Salk Veracity HT3(2X4000) = 6000
Salk Center = 1695
Salk Veracity HT1 = 2699
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Shipping = 500

Total = 12233


Thanks for all the Help

Based on past recommendations from others, this would be a great 5.1 jtr setup:
3 - 228 for LCR
2 - any 8 series surround
1 - 2400 captivator

No amps necessary. Just a decent avr.

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
asoofi1 is offline  
post #14593 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Pick the salk if you are going with a single rythmik subwoofer, cause 1 15" sub is not gonna keep up with all those jtr speakers.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #14594 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Newbie
 
devarade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Asoofi, Thanks for the Reply,

If i am Going through JTR Path, Then i would rather get Noesis 212HT (because you know the urge, that you want to get the best system possible, and do every thing Right first time).
Do you guys Recommend, that i wait until 210 Ht is released and then Choose between 212/210

The reason i am going with Rythmik is they are only 1300 and they make really good subs(My friend has one in his HT).. and if i want to add another sub later i can easily buy another rythmik.
but as of Captivator they may not be Expensive based on their Performance.... but for my budget range they are Expensive.

So Does Rythmik go well with JTR's?????


Thanks.
devarade is offline  
post #14595 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Newbie
 
devarade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of Budget Consideration i will go with One Rythmik as of now...
But i can still one more Sub later.

Apart from the Sub issue.. Is JTR sonic-ally better than Salk ?
devarade is offline  
post #14596 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 4,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarade View Post

Hello Avs Members ,

Please help me in Deciding 5.1 Speakers for My Home Theater.
This will be my first System and Based on the Reviews i am intrested in SALK AND JTR
Room Size is 15X20 Seating Distance will be 15 X 17.

Only thing that i am worried about is the "Hiss" issue Reported by fellow Avs members From JTR NOESIS.
Initially i am planning to run the Speakers using Receiver, and might include Amp later.

Can some one please confirm that there is no Hiss when JTR's Run using Receiver.

One more thing is that i can't Extend my budget more that 12-13K for Speakers.

This Set will be used 100% movies

Option 1
JTR Noesis 212 HT (3X2299) = 6897
JTR Noesis 228 HT (2X1299) = 2598
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 1000
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 13334

Option 2 -- Wait until March for 210's
JTR Noesis 210 HT (3X2500) = 7500
JTR Single 8HT (2X999) = 1998
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 600
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 12937

Option 3

Salk Veracity HT3(2X4000) = 6000
Salk Center = 1695
Salk Veracity HT1 = 2699
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Shipping = 500

Total = 12233


Thanks for all the Help

You've said so yourself, 100% movie use. If you've done any amount of reading in the JTR thread you'll know that more then one person has said that they can't even really tell the difference between the 212HT's and 228HT's for movie use. Honestly I think you'd be far better off going with the 228HT's and put the savings towards some bad@ss JTR subs.

Consider this setup.

Three 228HT's ($3897) four Slant 8's ($3996) and two Captivator 2400's ($5198) for a total of $13,091 and then apply the 10% you'd receive for buy 8 or more pieces for a total of $11,782 plus shipping. For movie use I would say that's a pretty damn good option. Why have amazing HT speakers and bottle neck the system with Rythmik subs?

Sure they're great subs, but the Captivators are on another level IMO.
Archaea and subyguy like this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #14597 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 4,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 702
devarade, if you're trying to save a little more go with the passive Cap 2400's and pick up two pro amps to power them.
Going that route could save you $500-$800 too.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #14598 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Having just heard Archaea's 228's and twin Captivators I would concur with your assessment. The system kicked serious....and sounded awesome doing so.
Archaea likes this.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is offline  
post #14599 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Member
 
subyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
jbrown15 nailed it. Don't skimp on the subs, I'd pick his idea over any of the other options...although instead of the two caps you could do one orbit shifter and save even more...if you have room for it.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:
http://www.avs...
subyguy is offline  
post #14600 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarade View Post

Asoofi, Thanks for the Reply,

If i am Going through JTR Path, Then i would rather get Noesis 212HT (because you know the urge, that you want to get the best system possible, and do every thing Right first time).
Do you guys Recommend, that i wait until 210 Ht is released and then Choose between 212/210

The reason i am going with Rythmik is they are only 1300 and they make really good subs(My friend has one in his HT).. and if i want to add another sub later i can easily buy another rythmik.
but as of Captivator they may not be Expensive based on their Performance.... but for my budget range they are Expensive.

So Does Rythmik go well with JTR's?????

Thanks.

As good as the Rythmik are, they are really not designed to put out high levels of deep bass that are required for a solid home theater. I was seriously looking at the FV15HP but ended up going the DIY route. Besides, 1 sub will result in an uneven frequency response at different listening positions, which means 1 seat might be great and another seat in your room might not sound good.

So I'd recommend multiple subs to even out the frequency response at multiple listening positions. For DIY, you could do SI18 or UXL18s, DIY flat packs, and pro amps.
dgage is offline  
post #14601 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyguy View Post

jbrown15 nailed it. Don't skimp on the subs, I'd pick his idea over any of the other options...although instead of the two caps you could do one orbit shifter and save even more...if you have room for it.

no way i'd pick any single sub over two ported captivators -- not even the mighty orbit shifter. And I've heard a lot of enthusiast subs.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425179/the-subwoofer-recommendation-by-pricepoint-thread


The list is getting sort of ridiculous at this point...

Subwoofers I've heard since Jan 2011.

BIC America Formula F12 at KCNitro07's house and my place
BIC America V1220 pair at KCNitro077's house and my place
Chase Home Theater CS 18.1 pair at my place and at husker omaha's meet
Chase Home Theater SS 18.2 at huskeromaha's meet
Chase Home Theater VS 18.1 pair at huskeromaha's meet
Crystal Acoustic TX-12 Sub at my place
Danley Sound Labs DTS-10 + JTR Growler at huskeromaha's meet, and at nebrunner's house on Omaha home theater tour
Definitive Technology Supercube at Gorilla83's meet
DIY Dayton Audio 15" pair at ecrabb's house, and Gorilla83's meet
DIY Dayton Audio Titanik MK3 pair in 3.5 cubic foot sealed enclosures at KCNitro07's house
DIY Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 dual opposed box / Cerwin Vega CV-5000 watt amp at carp's house and a pair at mrsmither's house.
DIY Dual Cinema F-20 (lilmike designed) at huskeromaha's meet
DIY Dual gjallarhorn (ricci designed) at d_c's house.
DIY Infinite Baffle System with eight 15" AE subwoofers at desertdomes on Omaha home theater tour
DIY LMS-5400 pair in sealed 4.5 cubic foot enclosures / EP4000 at TJhub's house, and another pair in 3.5 cubic foot enclosures / Inuke DSP 6000 at Gorilla83's meet.
DIY Rythmik 15" at huskeromaha's meet
DIY Eight 18" drivers in sealed DIY Sound Group boxes / Cerwin Vega CV-5000 watt amp at carp's house
DIY THT at Braushs' house
DIY THT LP at KC Speaker Meet in the park 2013
DIY Four UXL18's powered by a Lab Gruppen Clone amp at HuskerOmaha's on the Omaha home theater tour
Elemental Designs A7s-450 18" at huskeromaha's meet
Epik Empire (heard four in the same room at counsil's place) and a single at my place, heard a pair at Gorilla83's meet, and a single at thebean's house
HSU ULS15 at Gorilla83 meet
HSU VTF-3 HO at andersa's on Omaha home theater tour
HSU VTF-15H pair at my place and Luke Kamps
Infinity HPS-1000 pair at my place
Infinity IL100S sub at ignoring my wife's house
Jamo D7sub pair at my place and Luke Kamps place
Jamo Sub 650 at my place and a pair at tatersly's place and my brother's house.
Jenson MS500 at my place
JTR Speakers Dual Captivator at carps house, my house, Gorilla83's meet, and bluesprings1's house
JTR Growler at HuskerOmaha's meet and at nebrunner's house on Omaha Home Theater tour
JTR Speakers Dual Orbit Shifters at my house, and carps house, single at jedimastergrant's house
JTR Speakers Dual S1 at my place
JTR Speakers Dual S2 at dlbeck's house
Klipsch RW-12D sub pair at my place and my brother's place, and a single at my Uncle's place.
MFW-15 dual opposed DIY setup x 4 - (eight drivers) at huskeromaha's meet, and Omaha home tour at W00lly's house.
Motor City Custom Audio Dual MFW-15 Turbos at huskeromaha's meet
Onkyo THX HTIB sub at Luke Kamps house
Polk PSW10 at a non avsforum friend's house
Polk PSW505 at Gorilla83's place
Procella P18 and P10 at Randy Bessigner's Place
PSA XS15 at Gorilla83's meet
Rythmik E15 at Gorilla83's meet
Rythmik FV15HP at Gorilla83's meet
Seaton Sound Submersive HP heard five units in the same room at counsil's place, duals at my place, duals at carps place, triples at Gorilla83's meet, and a single at huskeromaha's meet.
Seaton Sound F2 at Gorilla83's meet
SVS 20-39 PCI at Gorill83's meet
SVS PB12+ at my place
SVS PB13 Ultra pair at my place, and a pair at scrappydues place, and a single at thebean's house
Yamaha 10" hometheater subwoofer at tatersly's house
Yamaha CW218V (dual 18" pro audio subs) at my place
X48 15" Pro Audio sub at the KC Speaker Meet in the park 2013
~ and probably more I'm forgetting ATM.


Two captivators are equivalent output to one orbit shifter, and give you room smoothing because there are two. If you plan to get two orbit shifters - then the recommendation may change. The orbit shifter is a fantastic sub, but two runs $6.5k. I recently went to a theater of local Kansas city member jedimastergrant who owns a single JTR Orbit Shifter and demoed his new home theater room for a bunch of the KC gang. He has bass in spades, but hot spotting galore. You move from seat to seat in his theater and there is up to 7dB difference (over twice as loud/quiet) with an SPL meter and even more variance than that when you consider frequency response. With my two captivators I have nothing like that seat to seat in my theater room. He definitely needs a smoothing sub - and everyone there told him so. 1 sub pales to 2 unless you have a single listening position you are optimizing for. I've always heard 2 subs pales to four or eight subs, but in my experience with a lot of different rooms and a lot of different subs - 1 to 2 is the biggest positive difference.
asoofi1 likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #14602 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I like the Rythmik FV-15HP by the way. Quite a lot.

You can read about it's comparisons with the captivators at the 2012 Gorilla83 meet from various perspectives by different meet attendees in this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434901/northeast-october-20th-gtg-results-thread#post_22512895

While the Rythmik FV-15HP gives absolutely nothing up to any sub I've listened to in sound quality - it gives up quite a bit in output to something like the ported captivator. For many the Rythmik has all the output they need -- but then that isn't the typical JTR customer. As the former owner of two SVS PB13 Ultras (bash amp variety) I'd take a single Captivator over a pair of ported SVS PB 13 ultras...and you know from the post above how I dislike single subs.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #14603 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
5.1 JTR system

3 X 212HT = $6900
2 X S8 = $2000
1 x Cap S2 = $3300
3 x stands = $600

= $12800

10% discount + veneers + shipping = about $13000
1 x S2 is a great start add another later when $$$ permits.

Chris
asoofi1 likes this.
countryWV is offline  
post #14604 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarade View Post

Hello Avs Members ,

Please help me in Deciding 5.1 Speakers for My Home Theater.
This will be my first System and Based on the Reviews i am intrested in SALK AND JTR
Room Size is 15X20 Seating Distance will be 15 X 17.

Only thing that i am worried about is the "Hiss" issue Reported by fellow Avs members From JTR NOESIS.
Initially i am planning to run the Speakers using Receiver, and might include Amp later.

Can some one please confirm that there is no Hiss when JTR's Run using Receiver.

One more thing is that i can't Extend my budget more that 12-13K for Speakers.

This Set will be used 100% movies

Option 1
JTR Noesis 212 HT (3X2299) = 6897
JTR Noesis 228 HT (2X1299) = 2598
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 1000
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 13334

Option 2 -- Wait until March for 210's
JTR Noesis 210 HT (3X2500) = 7500
JTR Single 8HT (2X999) = 1998
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Custom JTR veneer = 1000
Speaker Stands = 600
Shipping = 500

TOtal = 12937

Option 3

Salk Veracity HT3(2X4000) = 6000
Salk Center = 1695
Salk Veracity HT1 = 2699
Rythmik FV15HP (1X1339) = 1339
Shipping = 500

Total = 12233


Thanks for all the Help

You've said so yourself, 100% movie use. If you've done any amount of reading in the JTR thread you'll know that more then one person has said that they can't even really tell the different between the 212HT's and 228HT's for movie use. Honestly I think you'd be far better off going with the 228HT's and put the savings towards some bad@ss JTR subs.

Consider this setup.

Three 228HT's ($3897) four Slant 8's ($3996) and two Captivator 2400's ($5198) for a total of $13,091 and then apply the 10% you'd receive for buy 8 or more pieces for a total of $11,782 plus shipping. For more use I would say that's a pretty damn good option. Why have amazing HT speakers and bottle neck the system with Rythmik subs?

Sure they're great subs, but the Captivators are on another level IMO.

For 100% movie use - jbrown's advice is nothing sort of stellar.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #14605 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

no way i'd pick any single sub over two ported captivators -- not even the mighty orbit shifter. And I've heard a lot of enthusiast subs.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425179/the-subwoofer-recommendation-by-pricepoint-thread


The list is getting sort of ridiculous at this point...

Subwoofers I've heard since Jan 2011.

BIC America Formula F12 at KCNitro07's house and my place
BIC America V1220 pair at KCNitro077's house and my place
Chase Home Theater CS 18.1 pair at my place and at husker omaha's meet
Chase Home Theater SS 18.2 at huskeromaha's meet
Chase Home Theater VS 18.1 pair at huskeromaha's meet
Crystal Acoustic TX-12 Sub at my place
Danley Sound Labs DTS-10 + JTR Growler at huskeromaha's meet, and at nebrunner's house on Omaha home theater tour
Definitive Technology Supercube at Gorilla83's meet
DIY Dayton Audio 15" pair at ecrabb's house, and Gorilla83's meet
DIY Dayton Audio Titanik MK3 pair in 3.5 cubic foot sealed enclosures at KCNitro07's house
DIY Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 dual opposed box / Cerwin Vega CV-5000 watt amp at carp's house and a pair at mrsmither's house.
DIY Dual Cinema F-20 (lilmike designed) at huskeromaha's meet
DIY Dual gjallarhorn (ricci designed) at d_c's house.
DIY Infinite Baffle System with eight 15" AE subwoofers at desertdomes on Omaha home theater tour
DIY LMS-5400 pair in sealed 4.5 cubic foot enclosures / EP4000 at TJhub's house, and another pair in 3.5 cubic foot enclosures / Inuke DSP 6000 at Gorilla83's meet.
DIY Rythmik 15" at huskeromaha's meet
DIY Eight 18" drivers in sealed DIY Sound Group boxes / Cerwin Vega CV-5000 watt amp at carp's house
DIY THT at Braushs' house
DIY THT LP at KC Speaker Meet in the park 2013
DIY Four UXL18's powered by a Lab Gruppen Clone amp at HuskerOmaha's on the Omaha home theater tour
Elemental Designs A7s-450 18" at huskeromaha's meet
Epik Empire (heard four in the same room at counsil's place) and a single at my place, heard a pair at Gorilla83's meet, and a single at thebean's house
HSU ULS15 at Gorilla83 meet
HSU VTF-3 HO at andersa's on Omaha home theater tour
HSU VTF-15H pair at my place and Luke Kamps
Infinity HPS-1000 pair at my place
Infinity IL100S sub at ignoring my wife's house
Jamo D7sub pair at my place and Luke Kamps place
Jamo Sub 650 at my place and a pair at tatersly's place and my brother's house.
Jenson MS500 at my place
JTR Speakers Dual Captivator at carps house, my house, Gorilla83's meet, and bluesprings1's house
JTR Growler at HuskerOmaha's meet and at nebrunner's house on Omaha Home Theater tour
JTR Speakers Dual Orbit Shifters at my house, and carps house, single at jedimastergrant's house
JTR Speakers Dual S1 at my place
JTR Speakers Dual S2 at dlbeck's house
Klipsch RW-12D sub pair at my place and my brother's place, and a single at my Uncle's place.
MFW-15 dual opposed DIY setup x 4 - (eight drivers) at huskeromaha's meet, and Omaha home tour at W00lly's house.
Motor City Custom Audio Dual MFW-15 Turbos at huskeromaha's meet
Onkyo THX HTIB sub at Luke Kamps house
Polk PSW10 at a non avsforum friend's house
Polk PSW505 at Gorilla83's place
Procella P18 and P10 at Randy Bessigner's Place
PSA XS15 at Gorilla83's meet
Rythmik E15 at Gorilla83's meet
Rythmik FV15HP at Gorilla83's meet
Seaton Sound Submersive HP heard five units in the same room at counsil's place, duals at my place, duals at carps place, triples at Gorilla83's meet, and a single at huskeromaha's meet.
Seaton Sound F2 at Gorilla83's meet
SVS 20-39 PCI at Gorill83's meet
SVS PB12+ at my place
SVS PB13 Ultra pair at my place, and a pair at scrappydues place, and a single at thebean's house
Yamaha 10" hometheater subwoofer at tatersly's house
Yamaha CW218V (dual 18" pro audio subs) at my place
X48 15" Pro Audio sub at the KC Speaker Meet in the park 2013
~ and probably more I'm forgetting ATM.


Two captivators are equivalent output to one orbit shifter, and give you room smoothing because there are two. If you plan to get two orbit shifters - then the recommendation may change. The orbit shifter is a fantastic sub, but two runs $6.5k. I recently went to a theater of local Kansas city member jedimastergrant who owns a single JTR Orbit Shifter and demoed his new home theater room for a bunch of the KC gang. He has bass in spades, but hot spotting galore. You move from seat to seat in his theater and there is up to 7dB difference with an SPL meter and even more variance than that when you consider frequency response. With my two captivators I have nothing like that seat to seat in my theater room. He definitely needs a smoothing sub - and everyone there told him so. 1 sub pales to 2 unless you have a single listening position you are optimizing for.

You can never come to my house and hear my wimpy system wink.gif

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is offline  
post #14606 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 432
NWCgrad,

From the description of your setup - I don't think you have anything to worry about!

BTW - quit doddling and get over to popalocks and Gorilla83's. You can't live that close and not visit those two fellows.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is online now  
post #14607 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Newbie
 
devarade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks jbrown15 and Every one for your responses.

I will Definitely consider jbrown's Recommendation when making a move.

i will also call Jeff to see what his Recommendations are ?

When I emailed Jeff about a month back about my interest in 212HT as LCR and 228HT as Surrounds , this is the Response From JEFF

The Noesis 212ht and Noesis 228ht would be great in your size room.
I can put everything on one pallet and ship it for --- otherwise I can ship them individually with FedEx for ---. Currently, lead time is about a month.

Since This is Coming from a Great guy like Jeff , I am Pretty much set on the Recommended Configuration.

But i think i need to give him a call to discuss more in Detail... and see what his recomendations are.
devarade is offline  
post #14608 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Newbie
 
devarade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Archaea,
I dont know that popalocks and Gorilla83's live close by to my place. i need to IM them and See if they are willing to Demo their system.
I live in Clarksrurg, MD. i am out for town for About 2 weeks , so i will try to contact them on first week of Feb.
devarade is offline  
post #14609 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Member
 
Gunner969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

5.1 JTR system

3 X 212HT = $6900
2 X S8 = $2000
1 x Cap S2 = $3300
3 x stands = $600

= $12800

10% discount + veneers + shipping = about $13000
1 x S2 is a great start add another later when $$$ permits.

Chris

That's exactly what I got.
Gunner969 is offline  
post #14610 of 21254 Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarade View Post

Asoofi, Thanks for the Reply,

If i am Going through JTR Path, Then i would rather get Noesis 212HT (because you know the urge, that you want to get the best system possible, and do every thing Right first time).
Do you guys Recommend, that i wait until 210 Ht is released and then Choose between 212/210

The reason i am going with Rythmik is they are only 1300 and they make really good subs(My friend has one in his HT).. and if i want to add another sub later i can easily buy another rythmik.
but as of Captivator they may not be Expensive based on their Performance.... but for my budget range they are Expensive.

So Does Rythmik go well with JTR's?????


Thanks.

I've spent the last month reading all the jtr threads, reviews, and spoke to many owners...the consensus is when it's 100% movies...it equals 228 since there isn't a noticeable difference with the 212. I'm seriously saving you hours and weeks of research & assessment.

With you mentioning a certain budget, I think the money saved going with 228 is perfect for a pair of cap 2400, which also gets great reviews. A pair of subs will do more for your needs than the 212 upgrade.

What do you feel you will get with 212 over 228?

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
asoofi1 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off