Official JTR speaker thread - Page 490 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6576Likes

Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHT View Post

Sorry for not posting sooner.. been working a lot of OT to get some more funds for another order with Jeff wink.gif I was in the same boat as it seems you are.. no room for the 228's. I ended up going with an all Single 8 system in the end and I can honestly say these speakers are just absolutely incredible! They handle the really dynamic scenes like the shoot out scenes in The Book of Eli and the opening Aston car chase scene in Quantum of Solace with ease at reference and above. In fact, like others have already stated, the drivers are barely even moving. My main concern with the S8's was that I routinely listen at reference for all movies and was worried that I would do harm to the drivers if I crossed them at 80hz (which is the -3db point iirc). Jeff said in my room I could cross them at 80 all day long. I took his word for it and sure enough according to my REW FR they don't start to drop in my room until ~60-62hz iirc. BTW, I know your room is quite a bit larger than mine (I'm basically set up in a closet) but even after a demanding movie the amp on my PIO SC-35 is barely warm.. I mean like leaving it on for a bit at idle, warm. With a decent AVR/Amp, power/SPL shouldn't be a problem either. wink.gif

Good luck with everything man, should be a killer setup regardless..

I had often thought that an all single 8 system would be great, but I haven't heard of many people who have actually done it. How many S8's do you have and what sub are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

I had often thought that an all single 8 system would be great, but I haven't heard of many people who have actually done it. How many S8's do you have and what sub are you using?

You are correct, it is great indeed IMO wink.gif I'm running a 5.1 with the Single8HT's for the LCR and Single8-LP's for surrounds with a Cap S2 for wall flexing duty.... all squeezed into an 842cf spare bedroom (hence, the "closet" comment) Funds for a second S2 are currently looking great, should be fun.. Also, I forgot to add that I DID have room for the T8-lp's (barely) but felt I didn't need to spend the extra cash for the added headroom that they provide. If the T8's sounded a lot better over the S8's I more than likely would have went with them but, I believe the T8 and S8 utilize the same CD so I would imagine they sound quite similar... someone please correct me if I'm wrong though. smile.gif
Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

You are correct, it is great indeed IMO wink.gif I'm running a 5.1 with the Single8HT's for the LCR and Single8-LP's for surrounds with a Cap S2 for wall flexing duty.... all squeezed into an 842cf spare bedroom (hence, the "closet" comment) Funds for a second S2 are currently looking great, should be fun.. Also, I forgot to add that I DID have room for the T8-lp's (barely) but felt I didn't need to spend the extra cash for the added headroom that they provide. If the T8's sounded a lot better over the S8's I more than likely would have went with them but, I believe the T8 and S8 utilize the same CD so I would imagine they sound quite similar... someone please correct me if I'm wrong though. smile.gif
Sounds like an awesome setup!

Are you having issues with uneven bass response? Why the need for a second S2?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:

842cubic/ft and you're considering adding a second Cap S2.....LOL eek.gifeek.gif

That's awesome!...lol
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

842cubic/ft and you're considering adding a second Cap S2.....LOL eek.gifeek.gif

That's awesome!...lol

What is awesome is his chart on the single S2! Now with the second it is going to be crazy!

Maybe I am confusing him with another member?

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

This is the exact setup I have been considering for my own theater. Great to hear it's working out so well for you.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Sounds like an awesome setup!

Are you having issues with uneven bass response? Why the need for a second S2?

Thanks man, the upgrade from a 5x Klipsch RB-51 w/ an SVS PB12-NSD to this JTR setup exceeded my expectations! I've had it set up for about 3 months now and it never fails to put a huge grin on my face. Actually my FR is quite good for just having a single sub, I start to clip the amp on the S2 around the -3/-5MV on heavy ULF scenes (WOTW, HTTYD, TIH etc) and although I know it's not a huge deal as I'm sure, and have been told, that it's completely fine... it's more of a "peace of mind" kind of thing. Here's the FR at the MLP with the S2... makes me smile like this biggrin.gif

BTW, this is on a suspended wooden floor and the MLP is a damn bed! The real low stuff makes if feel like your sitting on JELL-O... it's pretty cool. Might not be the prettiest setup ever.. but it's a fun ride. tongue.gif Also, I don't want to make it seem like the Klipsch/SVS setup was bad, it was certainly no slouch and sounded great... I just wanted something, well... even meaner..
Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:

That's awesome!...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

What is awesome is his chart on the single S2! Now with the second it is going to be crazy!

Maybe I am confusing him with another member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

This is the exact setup I have been considering for my own theater. Great to hear it's working out so well for you.

Thanks for the comments gents, I'm going to spread them as much as I can but I don't have much room to work with as you can imagine. rolleyes.gif To be honest, without moving the room around completely (I'm very lazy), the subs will still be essentially co-located so I may just stack them...
Old 01-12-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This was the chart I was talking about. So I didn't get him confused with somebody else.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What amps do you guys run? With these being high sensitivity speakers do many run amps like the Sherbourn pa7-350? If so do I hear hiss with the Sherbourn? What amps but mate with the jtr speakers. Thinking my Sherbourn is goin to be overkill...

Processing- Sherbourn 7020C4
Amps- Sherbourn PA7-350, two Behringer EP4000s
Speakers- JTR Triple 12s for mains, triple 8 center, Volt 8 surrounds
Subs- 4 mach 5 audio IXL 18s
PJ- Panasonic pt-ae4000
112" fixed screen
Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkec View Post

What amps do you guys run? With these being high sensitivity speakers do many run amps like the Sherbourn pa7-350? If so do I hear hiss with the Sherbourn? What amps but mate with the jtr speakers. Thinking my Sherbourn is goin to be overkill...

I think you're worrying to much about. For starters you can never have overkill for JTR speakers.

I have a "very" slight buzz only in my compression driver with my 228HT/PA 7-350 combo, but it's only with nothing playing. Once anything is on even at very low levels you can't hear it.
selkec likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

Definitely not over kill. Most JTR speaker owners here are running Pro Amps. Well over 1000 watts per..
Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I run T12s and S8s with Odyssey stratos extreme for L&R and Sunfire Cinema Grand for other 5 channels. Very slight buzz with the Stratos but my ear has to be close to speaker to hear it. And like jbrown15 , once content is playing, can't hear it.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 561
I'm using a D-Sonic 1000wpc @ 4ohm with a 3 to 2 prong adapter (cheater plug). I can put my ear directly on my T12 without the slightest hiss.

Recommended or not it works so I never touch it.

Chris

Chris

FS: D-Sonic M2 1500 3 channel amp Housed in 7 Ch Chassis
................ Price Lowered .................
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post43160266
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

You are definitely worrying about it too much..

That Sherbourn is a great match for any JTR speaker. Like some of the previous posts had stated, many people are throwing more power than what your amp will do.

As far as hiss goes, I have to put my ear right next to my center, 212, before I hear anything. During movies and from my MLP, I don't hear a thing.

That amp was a steal at the price you probably paid for it... Hold onto it and enjoy it! wink.gif
Old 01-12-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The only knock on the Sherbourne is the 20 amp plug and I have not found a 20 amp cheater plug.

For $999 it is the best deal I have ever seen on an amp. Hell it's close to the Best deal I've seen on any piece of audio equipment in general.

Chris

Chris

Old 01-12-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

I have not found a 20 amp cheater plug.

fixed...

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-1F515520-1-Foot-15-Amp-Adapter/dp/B00439KIF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389567500&sr=8-1&keywords=20+amp+to+15+amp

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Old 01-12-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet!! Had I known that when it was on sale I would have bought that amp. I spent 2 days trying to find one and could not so I let the $999 deal pass me by. rolleyes.gif

Anyone using this adapter still have a buzz?

Chris

Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

You are definitely worrying about it too much..

That Sherbourn is a great match for any JTR speaker. Like some of the previous posts had stated, many people are throwing more power than what your amp will do.

As far as hiss goes, I have to put my ear right next to my center, 212, before I hear anything. During movies and from my MLP, I don't hear a thing.

That amp was a steal at the price you probably paid for it... Hold onto it and enjoy it! wink.gif

I have hiss at 1 foot with Polk rtia9. Won't it be much worse with jtr speakers

Processing- Sherbourn 7020C4
Amps- Sherbourn PA7-350, two Behringer EP4000s
Speakers- JTR Triple 12s for mains, triple 8 center, Volt 8 surrounds
Subs- 4 mach 5 audio IXL 18s
PJ- Panasonic pt-ae4000
112" fixed screen
Old 01-12-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

This is great but it would be even better if it was missing the ground too on the male side.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is great but it would be even better if it was missing the ground too on the male side.
Good catch. With the ground it defeats the purpose.

Anyone found one without a ground?

Chris

Old 01-12-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good catch. With the ground it defeats the purpose.

Anyone found one without a ground?
Just cut it off. Done.
selkec likes this.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Just cut it off. Done.
Removing the ground should work. Has anyone done this with positive results? A cheater plug sure solved my hiss problems.

Chris

Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:

Removing the ground should work. Has anyone done this with positive results? A cheater plug sure solved my hiss problems.

yes it will work, thats all a cheater plug is! In my old house, I snipped off the ground on lots of equipment and it always worked fine.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Ok, took my first step towards room treatments. Just ordered 2 black "bass traps" to go behind my left and right speakers. They are pretty big in 2 feet wide by 4 feet tall and 4 inches deep. Should fit perfectly between my screen and the wall on each side as the opening is about 1 inch wider then the bass trap. Ordered them from Acoustimac and they also are rated to really cover all the frequencies so I am viewing them as bass traps and just general sound panels. WIll so how this works out and then potentially get more in the future. You guys are bringing me along slowly but surely tongue.gif
Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

yes it will work, thats all a cheater plug is! In my old house, I snipped off the ground on lots of equipment and it always worked fine.

I was just going to pull the 20amp receptacle out of the wall, unhook the ground wire and then put everything back together.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:

I was just going to pull the 20amp receptacle out of the wall, unhook the ground wire and then put everything back together.

Don't do that...it isn't safe and isn't to code. If you had a fire and that was found...let's just say your insurance company would be happy and you wouldn't be.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Don't do that...it isn't safe and isn't to code. If you had a fire and that was found...let's just say your insurance company would be happy and you wouldn't be.

I get what you're saying but how is it any different then just cutting the ground off of the cord?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get what you're saying but how is it any different then just cutting the ground off of the cord?
Because it is not in your wall and you don't have to worry about code. There is no other difference.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:

Ya, I wouldn't do that either. Like has been said, if there was ever a fire, you wouldn't be covered. As far as the amp cord, that makes no difference. You could buy another off ebay and clip the ground off of it, in case you want to keep yours.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
taboola here