Official JTR speaker thread - Page 496 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7780Likes

Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ryansboston - huge thank you for posting your pics!!!
I recently ordered the same 228HTs in black oak and just like you will have them sitting on black oak Submersives HP+.
Hope my wife likes them??? She doesn't know they are coming. EEK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

Ryansboston - huge thank you for posting your pics!!!
I recently ordered the same 228HTs in black oak and just like you will have them sitting on black oak Submersives HP+.
Hope my wife likes them??? She doesn't know they are coming. EEK!

np Peter... Best of luck on the WAF... the 228HTs are MUCH BIGGER in person than in pictures haha... hopefully she really enjoys movies and music!

Buy my awesome gear so I can buy more awesome gear! ...please...
FS: JTR 215RTs/ 215RM for sale in MA (Willing to ship)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post

Finally joining the club...

Front stage= 3x Black Oak JTR 228HT, 2x Black Oak 4000w Seaton HP+ Submersive, Panasonic TCP65VT60 65" Black 1080P 3D Plasma HDTV (BTW, this tv's black levels are ridiculous.. cnet says better than KURO)

Really happy with the Black Oak veneer on the 228HTs, it matches the Black Oak on the Seaton Submersives very well...

Ryan awesome looking setup, have you thought about turning your subs the other way so that they are firing towards the left & right sides of the room and then try taking some REW measurements?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 2427
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Ryan awesome looking setup, have you thought about turning your subs the other way so that they are firing towards the left & right sides of the room and then try taking some REW measurements?

Thanks! I actually did try that; I can't find the measurements now, but I think it caused higher peaks/ lower valleys between 60hz-90hz than having them oriented the way there are now. When I have more time I'll definitely try playing around a bit more with placement to work on smoothing out the response more.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM

I was actually looking at those exact models for the center 228HT... I am just worried that the maximum 8 degree slant will not be enough to angle it properly, I'll need to do some math and see if it will be sufficient. I know the white (actually high density foam packing pads) has got to go as they stand out like a sore thumb in the almost all- black front stage... just had to put something there temporarily. Might try to DIY something from the high density black foam packing material used to protect Dell PCs during shipping.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:

Thanks!! I'd be happy to have you come for a demo! My beer fridge is usually well-stocked. I may even reserve some of my last Heady Topper's (#1 beer at beer advocate ) for your visit smile.gif

I was just teasing about inviting myself over. I will be in Boston later this month but my trips are usually 100% booked. On this particular trip I will fly into Boston but will actually spend my time in Smithfield. Enjoy your new toys!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:

I was actually looking at those exact models for the center 228HT... I am just worried that the maximum 8 degree slant will not be enough to angle it properly, I'll need to do some math and see if it will be sufficient. I know the white (actually high density foam packing pads) has got to go as they stand out like a sore thumb in the almost all- black front stage... just had to put something there temporarily. Might try to DIY something from the high density black foam packing material used to protect Dell PCs during shipping.

I just started using those with my JTR center earlier this week. I ordered from Amazon and in the Auralex box, there were extra foam pieces to change the angle of the pad. You can use it out of the box or add the extra pieces to increase the angle. Just an FYI in case you go down this path.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:

The black veneer looks great. If I wasn't going be hiding my stuff behind an AT screen, that would be next choice. Congrats on the new toys.

What are your impressions on music performance?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 AM

Between having my newborn in the house and returning to work after Paternity Leave, I really haven't had a chance to listen to music except at low volumes in the background, so I am holding off on giving my impressions. I've definitely liked what I've heard so far, but I don't think I will be blown away until I get a chance to turn up the volume a bit and actually focus on listening for more than a few minutes. I fully expect and anticipate to be amazed though, judging from watching Man of Steel, reading all the great reviews in this thread and past experience hearing it's big brother (212) at the GTGs...

Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Nice setup Ryan, cool.gif

A couple of back rubber door stops would work to angle that center channel up a bit as a quick and dirty that wouldn't look bad. I used them on an old setup of mine and they we nearly invisible.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Nice setup Ryan, cool.gif

A couple of back rubber door stops would work to angle that center channel up a bit as a quick and dirty that wouldn't look bad. I used them on an old setup of mine and they we nearly invisible.

Is there a sweet spot for either 228/212 or just at certain seating distances?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Equalateral triangle with the distance from the Front Left to the Front Right Speaker being the same distance from both to your main listenin position.

Then toe in the 228HT or 212HT a bit more than directly facing you. So they actually would aim a couple feet in front of you.

That's my fav.
asoofi1 likes this.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Old 01-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:

np Peter... Best of luck on the WAF... the 228HTs are MUCH BIGGER in person than in pictures haha... hopefully she really enjoys movies and music!

I really tried to prepare my wife for the big 212s and I'm pretty sure I failed since I wasn't prepared for how big they were. But the smile on our faces has us forgetting about the size.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked: 712
SO DID ANYONE GET TRACKING NUMBERS FRIDAY OR THIS WEEK? THAT YOUR SHIPMENT WAS SHIPPED CONFIRMED?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

SO DID ANYONE GET TRACKING NUMBERS FRIDAY OR THIS WEEK? THAT YOUR SHIPMENT WAS SHIPPED CONFIRMED?

Yep, my 212HT LCRs arrived today (thanks to buzzard767 for swapping places with me!!).

I did not open the boxes yet.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Is there a sweet spot for either 228/212 or just at certain seating distances?

The Equilateral triangle (or as close as you can get) is always a good starting point. The 212's have a sweet spot but it is bigger (width and depth) than any of the traditional point source speakers i have owned. Most prefer the large toe in as suggested by Archaea but in my case with the 212HT-LP's, I found that I preferred less toe in with the speaker pointed slightly outside of the LP as the best sounding.

That is one thing that is very easy to tune to your preference ... smile.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3496 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The Equilateral triangle (or as close as you can get) is always a good starting point. The 212's have a sweet spot but it is bigger (width and depth) than any of the traditional point source speakers i have owned. Most prefer the large toe in as suggested by Archaea but in my case with the 212HT-LP's, I found that I preferred less toe in with the speaker pointed slightly outside of the LP as the best sounding.

That is one thing that is very easy to tune to your preference ... smile.gif

For sure! I have found the same thing where I have ample absorption but a very narrow room so slightly less toe-in helps with the opposite wall reflection points with the higher freqs. This is really a room-dependent aspect of every system. Just because one member has then at close to a 45 degree toe-in doesn't mean that is what works (or sounds) best in your particular room. I encourage everyone getting their new toys to experiment a little with this and some music content they are very familiar with. Odds are after some additional listening you will end up adjusting it more, but putting in a song or two you are comfortable with, and making sure the vocals are centered and the instruments are correct spatially will catapult you to the next level of listening VERY quickly!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:

Man I wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

I did not open the boxes yet.

That would be the fist thing that I would do. I might even take off of work for mine to come.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Man I wish!
That would be the fist thing that I would do. I might even take off of work for mine to come.

I plan to work from home the day mine will be delivered, but I have a long wait....

JTR (3 215 RT, 5 212HTR, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's, 3 210T's)
Behringer (4 B1200 Midbass Modules)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I plan to work from home the day mine will be delivered, but I have a long wait....

Raynist - In the meantime, I suggest you move all of the subwoofers in your various rooms to the room where you plan to put your 228s. Then your sub system might keep up and you'd have really good frequency response at all positions. LOL! J/K.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM
ASU

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Front stage= 3x Black Oak JTR 228HT, 2x Black Oak 4000w Seaton HP+ Submersive, Panasonic TCP65VT60 65" Black 1080P 3D Plasma HDTV (BTW, this tv's black levels are ridiculous.. cnet says better than KURO)

Really happy with the Black Oak veneer on the 228HTs, it matches the Black Oak on the Seaton Submersives very well...

The 228HT sitting on top of the HP+ SubM brings the horn to right about optimal height, right around ear level at the MLP.

WOW! Those look awesome. May I ask how much the upgrade to the black oak veneer cost per speaker? Have a black maple submersive and would be interested in black maple 228's.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Quoted: 2489 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Took those babies out of the box. Jeff's packing is certainly impressive! It seems like Fedex did not handle the boxes very well as I could see dents and cuts on the cardboard boxes but the speakers are fine because of his excellent packing.

I am unable to figure out if I have speakers standing the way they are supposed to stand, or if they are upside down. Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Also, all three speakers are going behind an AT screen so I would like to ensure that the horns are configured for the vertical orientation. How do I check that?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Make sure the tweeters are at ear level so you need to move them from top to bottom or bottom to top. As far as rotation goes, I don't think that matters.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Took those babies out of the box. Jeff's packing is certainly impressive! It seems like Fedex did not handle the boxes very well as I could see dents and cuts on the cardboard boxes but the speakers are fine because of his excellent packing.

I am unable to figure out if I have speakers standing the way they are supposed to stand, or if they are upside down. Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Also, all three speakers are going behind an AT screen so I would like to ensure that the horns are configured for the vertical orientation. How do I check that?

There is no top/bottom to these speakers and the horns are by default set for a vertical speaker orientation.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I didn't get any tracking numbers, buy my S8s showed up yesterday!! biggrin.gif:D
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Make sure the tweeters are at ear level so you need to move them from top to bottom or bottom to top. As far as rotation goes, I don't think that matters.

if you are talking about the 228HT in the recent pics -
sorry - wrong on two counts. tongue.gif

The compression drivers can't be moved up or down as the horn has a square cut out and unless you told Jeff to custom make the cabinet (which those are not in the pictures) - the compression driver (tweeter) is stuck in the center.

The rotation does matter. The horn has a 60* x 40* dispersion pattern. You should set it up for your use preference. The default config Jeff ships with is for vertical use. Rotate the horn (the plastic square piece) 90* to have the same 60* by 40* dispersion if using the 228HT or 212HT horizontally. (as a traditional horizontal center channel)

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

if you are talking about the 228HT in the recent pics -
sorry - wrong on two counts. tongue.gif

The compression drivers can't be moved up or down as the horn has a square cut out and unless you told Jeff to custom make the cabinet (which those are not in the pictures) - the compression driver (tweeter) is stuck in the center.

The rotation does matter. The horn has a 60* x 40* dispersion pattern. You should set it up for your use preference. The default config Jeff ships with is for vertical use. Rotate the horn (the plastic square piece) 90* to have the same 60* by 40* dispersion if using the 228HT or 212HT horizontally. (as a traditional horizontal center channel)
I know that. I don't know why I thought he got the triple 8's? I can be an idiot at times lol. Good catch.

I just went back and looked and he did indeed say the 212HT's.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I was curious if there was anyone close to northern ct with jtr 228 or 212's. I would really like to listen to a pair before I pull the trigger. Thanks, Chris

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis