Forum Jump: 

post #14941 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

SO DID ANYONE GET TRACKING NUMBERS FRIDAY OR THIS WEEK? THAT YOUR SHIPMENT WAS SHIPPED CONFIRMED?

Yep, my 212HT LCRs arrived today (thanks to buzzard767 for swapping places with me!!).

I did not open the boxes yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14942 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Is there a sweet spot for either 228/212 or just at certain seating distances?

The Equilateral triangle (or as close as you can get) is always a good starting point. The 212's have a sweet spot but it is bigger (width and depth) than any of the traditional point source speakers i have owned. Most prefer the large toe in as suggested by Archaea but in my case with the 212HT-LP's, I found that I preferred less toe in with the speaker pointed slightly outside of the LP as the best sounding.

That is one thing that is very easy to tune to your preference ... smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #14943 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The Equilateral triangle (or as close as you can get) is always a good starting point. The 212's have a sweet spot but it is bigger (width and depth) than any of the traditional point source speakers i have owned. Most prefer the large toe in as suggested by Archaea but in my case with the 212HT-LP's, I found that I preferred less toe in with the speaker pointed slightly outside of the LP as the best sounding.

That is one thing that is very easy to tune to your preference ... smile.gif

For sure! I have found the same thing where I have ample absorption but a very narrow room so slightly less toe-in helps with the opposite wall reflection points with the higher freqs. This is really a room-dependent aspect of every system. Just because one member has then at close to a 45 degree toe-in doesn't mean that is what works (or sounds) best in your particular room. I encourage everyone getting their new toys to experiment a little with this and some music content they are very familiar with. Odds are after some additional listening you will end up adjusting it more, but putting in a song or two you are comfortable with, and making sure the vocals are centered and the instruments are correct spatially will catapult you to the next level of listening VERY quickly!!!!!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14944 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

SO DID ANYONE GET TRACKING NUMBERS FRIDAY OR THIS WEEK? THAT YOUR SHIPMENT WAS SHIPPED CONFIRMED?

Man I wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

I did not open the boxes yet.

That would be the fist thing that I would do. I might even take off of work for mine to come.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #14945 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Man I wish!
That would be the fist thing that I would do. I might even take off of work for mine to come.

I plan to work from home the day mine will be delivered, but I have a long wait....

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #14946 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I plan to work from home the day mine will be delivered, but I have a long wait....

Raynist - In the meantime, I suggest you move all of the subwoofers in your various rooms to the room where you plan to put your 228s. Then your sub system might keep up and you'd have really good frequency response at all positions. LOL! J/K.
post #14947 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM
ASU

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post

Finally joining the club...

Front stage= 3x Black Oak JTR 228HT, 2x Black Oak 4000w Seaton HP+ Submersive, Panasonic TCP65VT60 65" Black 1080P 3D Plasma HDTV (BTW, this tv's black levels are ridiculous.. cnet says better than KURO)

Really happy with the Black Oak veneer on the 228HTs, it matches the Black Oak on the Seaton Submersives very well...

The 228HT sitting on top of the HP+ SubM brings the horn to right about optimal height, right around ear level at the MLP.

WOW! Those look awesome. May I ask how much the upgrade to the black oak veneer cost per speaker? Have a black maple submersive and would be interested in black maple 228's.
post #14948 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Love the symmetry in that setup!

post #14949 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Took those babies out of the box. Jeff's packing is certainly impressive! It seems like Fedex did not handle the boxes very well as I could see dents and cuts on the cardboard boxes but the speakers are fine because of his excellent packing.

I am unable to figure out if I have speakers standing the way they are supposed to stand, or if they are upside down. Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Also, all three speakers are going behind an AT screen so I would like to ensure that the horns are configured for the vertical orientation. How do I check that?
post #14950 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure the tweeters are at ear level so you need to move them from top to bottom or bottom to top. As far as rotation goes, I don't think that matters.

- Leon Phelps
post #14951 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Took those babies out of the box. Jeff's packing is certainly impressive! It seems like Fedex did not handle the boxes very well as I could see dents and cuts on the cardboard boxes but the speakers are fine because of his excellent packing.

I am unable to figure out if I have speakers standing the way they are supposed to stand, or if they are upside down. Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Also, all three speakers are going behind an AT screen so I would like to ensure that the horns are configured for the vertical orientation. How do I check that?

There is no top/bottom to these speakers and the horns are by default set for a vertical speaker orientation.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #14952 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I didn't get any tracking numbers, buy my S8s showed up yesterday!! biggrin.gif:D
post #14953 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:

Make sure the tweeters are at ear level so you need to move them from top to bottom or bottom to top. As far as rotation goes, I don't think that matters.

if you are talking about the 228HT in the recent pics -
sorry - wrong on two counts. tongue.gif

The compression drivers can't be moved up or down as the horn has a square cut out and unless you told Jeff to custom make the cabinet (which those are not in the pictures) - the compression driver (tweeter) is stuck in the center.

The rotation does matter. The horn has a 60* x 40* dispersion pattern. You should set it up for your use preference. The default config Jeff ships with is for vertical use. Rotate the horn (the plastic square piece) 90* to have the same 60* by 40* dispersion if using the 228HT or 212HT horizontally. (as a traditional horizontal center channel)

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #14954 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The compression drivers can't be moved up or down as the horn has a square cut out and unless you told Jeff to custom make the cabinet (which those are not in the pictures) - the compression driver (tweeter) is stuck in the center.

The rotation does matter. The horn has a 60* x 40* dispersion pattern. You should set it up for your use preference. The default config Jeff ships with is for vertical use. Rotate the horn (the plastic square piece) 90* to have the same 60* by 40* dispersion if using the 228HT or 212HT horizontally. (as a traditional horizontal center channel)
I know that. I don't know why I thought he got the triple 8's? I can be an idiot at times lol. Good catch.

I just went back and looked and he did indeed say the 212HT's.

- Leon Phelps
post #14955 of 23978 Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was curious if there was anyone close to northern ct with jtr 228 or 212's. I would really like to listen to a pair before I pull the trigger. Thanks, Chris

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Home Built HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Salk HT2 TL - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 amp for mains & Acurus A250- Amplifier center channel, Dual Svs SB13 Ultra Subwoofers
Blue Jeans 10AWG Speaker wire, Kimber Kable Hero Interconnects
post #14956 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I bet it doesn't shake below 15hz - unless your subs are nearfield of course.

Guys, once again, I can shake the hell out of me and my couch with 8 18 inch subs, it's ridiculous in fact. However, there is NO shake or feel below 15hz all that happens is bad noises from the house. However, the Crowson is very strong below 15hz all the way down to 5hz (proabably lower, the lowest test tone I have is 5hz).

So, my choices are to have below 15hz bass be meaningless - or use the Crowson.
You are right of course, but I think it has more to do with the fact that my OS won't play below 15hz more than my sub placement, which is now 3-4 feet away from my LP.
post #14957 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

There is no top/bottom to these speakers and the horns are by default set for a vertical speaker orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Quote:

I know that. I don't know why I thought he got the triple 8's? I can be an idiot at times lol. Good catch.

I just went back and looked and he did indeed say the 212HT's.

Thanks guys. Seems like I don't need to make any changes smile.gif
post #14958 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post

WOW! Those look awesome. May I ask how much the upgrade to the black oak veneer cost per speaker? Have a black maple submersible and would be interested in black maple 228's.

Thanks ASU, I'm really happy with how they turned out. The veneer cost was about $200 per speaker when I ordered them last year before the price increase. Also, certain styles of veneer cost more than others so your best bet is to get an updated custom quote from Jeff. Good Luck! They are certainly worth the wait smile.gif
post #14959 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post

I was curious if there was anyone close to northern ct with jtr 228 or 212's. I would really like to listen to a pair before I pull the trigger. Thanks, Chris

Hey Chris,

I might be the closest JTR owner to you willing to give a demo. (I'm a bit south of Boston) PM me and I'll see if we can set something up.

-Ryan
post #14960 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner969 View Post

I didn't get any tracking numbers, buy my S8s showed up yesterday!! biggrin.gif:D[/quote/]
I figured this is what will happen

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #14961 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The New: I got my balanced minidsp 2x4
The Bad: My OS hums now.
The Info: Output from avr to dsp is rca. Output from dsp to OS is rca to xlr (all I have on hand).
The Good: I disconnected the jumper wire (neutral) on the input side of the dsp and the hum is gone.

And then...

The New: Wife got herself a toaster oven.
The Bad: every time the toaster oven goes into heat mode my OS hums again.
The Info: Guess they share a common ground or something.
The Good: I had a Tripp-Lite Isobar 4 ultra lying in the garage. I plugged the OS into the outlet marked 75db filter and now the hum is gone and the OS is still measuring the same on rew.

Hope this helps someone else out without needing to use dangerous cheater methods. P.s. I tried the 50db filter outlet and the hum was still there.
post #14962 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 752
How often does the wife use the toaster oven? Tell her to Lil' Wayne that and "Burn bread everyday boy, no toasta"
thebuckaman and popalock like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #14963 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Well, my adventure into room treatments starts tonight. I have 3 corner bass traps that were delivered tonight so I will be setting those up. Next week I should have my first sound panels coming. Kris Deering turned me on to some neat treatments from a company called Vicoustics. Gotta prep the room before the Noesis arrive so they arrive to a nice...welcoming space smile.gif

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #14964 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Well, my adventure into room treatments starts tonight. I have 3 corner bass traps that were delivered tonight so I will be setting those up. Next week I should have my first sound panels coming. Kris Deering turned me on to some neat treatments from a company called Vicoustics. Gotta prep the room before the Noesis arrive so they arrive to a nice...welcoming space smile.gif

Hey Frohlich, my nice new AT screen from Falcon just showed up!...lol hint hint biggrin.gif
post #14965 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Liked: 19
Would placing 228s in wall (back opens to attic space) be a bad idea?

My sub unscrews light bulbs, pops nails, and wakes up babies.
post #14966 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 677
nope...it would actually be pretty ideal. No rear wall reflections!
L0nestar likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #14967 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Hey Frohlich, my nice new AT screen from Falcon just showed up!...lol hint hint biggrin.gif

I know what you are doing Joe, and I don't like it ont bit biggrin.gif

post #14968 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I know what you are doing Joe, and I don't like it ont bit biggrin.gif

Wait till I put up some pictures to show you the screen and just how easy it would be to build the false wall!...lol

And the best part is that it's hidden behind the screen so it doesn't matter if you don't do a super pro job because no one will see it!...lol biggrin.gif
post #14969 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Wait till I put up some pictures to show you the screen and just how easy it would be to build the false wall!...lol

And the best part is that it's hidden behind the screen so it doesn't matter if you don't do a super pro job because no one will see it!...lol biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing these pictures. I plan on doing this later this year.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #14970 of 23978 Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My shop teacher in high school had some words of wisdom for me: "Go to college...study hard...this shop class is no place for nancy boy like yourself...go on...scoot...get out of here" . Any false wall I design and build will cost 3 times more than it should, have no 90 degree corners to be found and will likely result in me maiming myself in some way, shape or form smile.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page