Official JTR speaker thread - Page 499 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5973Likes

post #14941 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'm going to go a slightly different route like what beast did. I'm going to tryout some Beyma drivers and build a little higher end surround like this

Looks like it'll cost just under a grand to make a pair.

OR you could man up...sell your fancy AT screen and use the funds to get JTR surrounds tongue.gifsmile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14942 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Never seeing used S8s for sale says a lot towards how satisfied the owners of them are. The components are only as good as the XO and that is where Jeff has NO equals. smile.gif

Chris
asoofi1 likes this.

Chris
post #14943 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

I'm going to go a slightly different route like what beast did. I'm going to tryout some Beyma drivers and build a little higher end surround like this

Looks like it'll cost just under a grand to make a pair.

We heard these yesterday as LR. Sounded great.

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #14944 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2464 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

OR you could man up...sell your fancy AT screen and use the funds to get JTR surrounds tongue.gifsmile.gif

Haha....I'd have to sell 4-5 AT screens to fund JTR surrounds!..lol tongue.gif
post #14945 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Never seeing used S8s for sale says a lot towards how satisfied the owners of them are. The components are only as good as the XO and that is where Jeff has NO equals. smile.gif

Chris

Chris, while I agree with you for the most part there's no reason to believe the Beyma surrounds wouldn't sound great too. Beast is having MTG90 make some custom crossovers for his surrounds after the latest GTG.

If I can get 95% of the performance of Slant 8's for less then half the price which are only going to be used as surrounds, I'm sold 100% on them.
post #14946 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Care to go into a little more detail on how they sounded? was there anything there to compare them with?
post #14947 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

How do they compare with the s8?
post #14948 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:

IMHO, transcuders get old pretty quick and not as good as two or more very good subs, which is a much better investment for the long term.

That was sort of my thought too as I have room on my amp for a 4th LMS 5400 but would have a heck of a time fitting a 4th in my room. I was intrigued by Archea (I think) speaking highly of the Crowson transducers because they go down to 15 Hz. But not at $400 a piece. I could potentially spend a little (ok a lot) more and do two dual-opposed infinite baffle manifolds on the left side of my living room.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #14949 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm looking for input on my HT. I'm rebuilding it and I've had Paradigm Studio 80's (V2) for mains and a CC for the center channel.

I really like the sound but I'm wondering if the dispersion on these are too wide for HT and should I be looking at something like the JTR Noesis 228 for LCR?

Has anyone here heard both or switched from one or the other?

Audio: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR), Fusion 8 Alchemy (4xSurrounds+2xWides+2xHeights),4 x 15" Dayton Ultimax
Video: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Darbee Darblet, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Seating: Fusion Lagoon Chairs
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #14950 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

I'm looking for input on my HT. I'm rebuilding it and I've had Paradigm Studio 80's (V2) for mains and a CC for the center channel.

I really like the sound but I'm wondering if the dispersion on these are too wide for HT and should I be looking at something like the JTR Noesis 228 for LCR?

Jeff I have owned many Paradigm reference speakers over the years (Studio 20, 100, servo 15, Sub 15,etc..) I have a soft spot for paradigm in my heart. That being said, the JTRs are much better for HT for dynamics. They can really give you that high quality movie theater sound and my Paradigms never sounded good towards reference...they would start to sound harsh. The JTRs are also easier to drive for any amp since they are more efficient. For music, it probably would be a lot closer but I would still give the edge to JTR. I wonder if it would be possible for you to get a demo...I know we have many forum members from Canada, I just don't know if any of them are close to you.
post #14951 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris, while I agree with you for the most part there's no reason to believe the Beyma surrounds wouldn't sound great too. Beast is having MTG90 make some custom crossovers for his surrounds after the latest GTG.

If I can get 95% of the performance of Slant 8's for less then half the price which are only going to be used as surrounds, I'm sold 100% on them.
There was no hidden jab or slight toward any other speaker or situation.

My post was as simple as the words they say. The costumers who have purchased the S8 seem to be satisfied. I'm basing this off there is almost never any used ones for sale Nor read a negative comment.
I hope positive comments on JTR speakers are still welcome on this thread. smile.gif

This past summer I had Matt (MTG90) design and build me 4 custom XOs for my DIY project. He did me a favor I could have never done on my own for a great price.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=257.0

Chris

Chris
post #14952 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm watching the northeast GTG very closly right now. I've been tempted to go for the 228's, but I need time to decide. My HT room is 13x10. Are the 228's too big for that room or can I make them work? Tempted by the SEOS too. I am making a trip up island at the end of the month to visit tuxedocivic and learn some things about these types of speakers.
post #14953 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:

Dang I wish I could have stayed later to hear the beyma's. The 24" SI that Beast also brought in free air at +3 reference level (perhaps even higher) was cool.

Quote:

Care to go into a little more detail on how they sounded? was there anything there to compare them with?

There were Klipsch, DIYsoundgroup (cheap thrills) and Danely Sound Labs on tap last night. The Danley's were pretty awesome in my view. Can't say they were better than Carps 212's or Archaea's 228's.

post #14954 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Jeff I have owned many Paradigm reference speakers over the years (Studio 20, 100, servo 15, Sub 15,etc..) I have a soft spot for paradigm in my heart. That being said, the JTRs are much better for HT for dynamics. They can really give you that high quality movie theater sound and my Paradigms never sounded good towards reference...they would start to sound harsh. The JTRs are also easier to drive for any amp since they are more efficient. For music, it probably would be a lot closer but I would still give the edge to JTR. I wonder if it would be possible for you to get a demo...I know we have many forum members from Canada, I just don't know if any of them are close to you.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm really beginning to lean towards the 228's. I love my Paradigm's, but I might move them to a spot more for music.

Follow up: Would you go Triple 12/8's again in the front or would go Noesis 228's? What is the major difference in the designs in terms of sound quality for HT?

Audio: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR), Fusion 8 Alchemy (4xSurrounds+2xWides+2xHeights),4 x 15" Dayton Ultimax
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #14955 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There was no hidden jab or slight toward any other speaker or situation.

My post was as simple as the words they say. The costumers who have purchased the S8 seem to be satisfied. I'm basing this off there is almost never any used ones for sale Nor read a negative comment.
I hope positive comments on JTR speakers are still welcome on this thread. smile.gif

This past summer I had Matt (MTG90) design and build me 4 custom XOs for my DIY project. He did me a favor I could have never done on my own for a great price.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=257.0

Chris

Cool build... While checking out the crossover, something just popped into my mind. See the white cables connecting the crossover parts? They are tiny...

So, my question then is, why would a bigger gauge speaker cable matter at all, when at the end of the road, they actually have to go thru tiny cables within the crossover??? It's like having a 6 inch water pipe that then connects to a 1 inch pipe... the water isn't going to flow any faster than a 1 inch pipe can allow...

So, putting 2 and 2 together, wouldn't this prove that 'big, monster' cables are all frauds????

Or, could i possibly be missing something?
post #14956 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I think the Captivator ported subs are neck and neck or best the very best of anything I've ever heard of any alignment or cost. I'm not a big believer that less than say 15hz even matters. I've heard nothing yet to sway me. Popalock's room demo with sixteen 18" subs this Friday night will decide if I can honestly continue to say that. If you can't impress me with ULF subsonic frequencies with sixteen 18" subs in a 1500 cubic foot room - then I don't care anything about ULF below about 15hz. We shall see.

So what are your thoughts?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #14957 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Cool build... While checking out the crossover, something just popped into my mind. See the white cables connecting the crossover parts? They are tiny...

So, my question then is, why would a bigger gauge speaker cable matter at all, when at the end of the road, they actually have to go thru tiny cables within the crossover??? It's like having a 6 inch water pipe that then connects to a 1 inch pipe... the water isn't going to flow any faster than a 1 inch pipe can allow...

So, putting 2 and 2 together, wouldn't this prove that 'big, monster' cables are all frauds????

It is not exactly the same as pipes. Part of the equation for resistance is distance. Having a thin wire for a short run is not a problem, but if you have a 25 foot speaker cable, you want something a little bigger. So when you take into account the distance the 3" thin wire may offer less resistance than the 25 foot thick wire. Beyond having adequate gauge, there is no need for fancy cables.
post #14958 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Big cables are for distance. The longer the run the bigger the cable (12gauge) is needed.

I think that is what your asking.

Chris

Chris
post #14959 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

It is not exactly the same as pipes. Part of the equation for resistance is distance. Having a thin wire for a short run is not a problem, but if you have a 25 foot speaker cable, you want something a little bigger. So when you take into account the distance the 3" thin wire may offer less resistance than the 25 foot thick wire. Beyond having adequate gauge, there is no need for fancy cables.

Quote:

Big cables are for distance. The longer the run the bigger the cable (12gauge) is needed.

I think that is what your asking.

Chris

Ah, ok, so, beyond a 12 gauge or a 16 gauge (depending on distance), you don't really need anything bigger... also, would bigger gauge cables within the crossovers matter? even in those short distances? Those seem really, really tiny to me.. I can't imagine, for instance 500 watts of power going thru them.. . or, 2000 watts, for instance the 212s can take...
post #14960 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

CoolGeek that picture you posted, The white lines are like an etch a sketch they are not cables just a diagram to show where each part is connected. They are connected (soldered) on the back side which is not shown. With speaker wire I use 12g or 10g for everything.

Chris
post #14961 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CoolGeek that picture you posted, The white lines are like an etch a sketch they are not cables just a diagram to show where each part is connected. They are connected (soldered) on the back side which is not shown.

Ah, ok, everything starts to make sense now... heehehe... sorry for the mix-up...
post #14962 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Beymas had very good clarity without any shrills at reference (+/- 2). Vocals, details...all there. No brightness from what I can recall. I've heard S8 as surrounds only for now, but I guesstimate the performance would be neck and neck based on the similar design and quality drivers used respectively. Excellent value if anyone wants to build a few. For surround duty, the Beyma would rock and keep up with any heavy weight LCR. Just as a 5.1 with all S8, one could have a great setup with the Beymas and still meet a lower budget (I love timbre matching whenever possible). Invest the rest on two 2400s or Orbit Shifters.

We were switching between these and Klipsch, Cheap Thrills, and Danley.

I would drop money on the Danley and Beyma if I had to choose.

Cheap thrills was 'meh' for me, but not as bad as say something like the new Theater 10 from Chase/Chane. If one is in this budget range, then I would definitely go with something from the DIY sound group. It would be worth the trouble of DIY even if you don't want to DIY. Fortunately, they have stuff that sounds better than the now extinct Cheap Thrills...like Fusion 10.

On a side note, the Danleys got me emotional wink.gif I can't wait to compare to the 212 one day.

current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #14963 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally, I like the long term resale value the S8 would hold over any DIY in case someone had to ever sell their JTR stuff, but you would definitely get your 95% with the Beyma.

post #14964 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do they compare with the s8?

For surrounds, very comparable and would go well with 228/212 LCR more than likely. Need to do a side by side to thoroughly test, but very impressive overall.

post #14965 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was able to have Studio 100v5's and matching CC-690 in my theater room for a week for demo, and I'm sorry but I'll take my 228HT's any day of the week over the Studio series. At higher volumes those things made me what to jab ice picks in my eyes to stop the pain....lol
post #14966 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

I'm watching the northeast GTG very closly right now. I've been tempted to go for the 228's, but I need time to decide. My HT room is 13x10. Are the 228's too big for that room or can I make them work? Tempted by the SEOS too. I am making a trip up island at the end of the month to visit tuxedocivic and learn some things about these types of speakers.

With your 13x10 room, 5 of the 8HT would be great. Would go with 3 of the 228 for LCR if you want even more SPL/dynamic sound. Others could provide more justifications for the 228, but it all depends on how loud and big of a sound you want or need. And the all important budget.
/asim

post #14967 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 679
thats what sucks about DIY, although it's cheap, it has very little re-sale value, though people doing DIY don't tend to sell much. I build subs for my own enjoyment, you're lucky to get the price for the driver, let alone the wood or time invested.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #14968 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Are the posted prices for JTR's including shipping or is that a big extra?

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #14969 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:

Are the posted prices for JTR's including shipping or is that a big extra?

Extra but pretty reasonable.

JTR (3 212HTR's, 3 210RT's, 2 Growlers, 4 T8's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
4 - SI 18's in Sealed Boxes
Klipsch (2 pair Cornwalls, 3 pair Forte's 1 pair Heresy's)
post #14970 of 33814 Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

As to sound quality preference - that's all up to you. I think the Captivator ported subs are neck and neck or best the very best of anything I've ever heard of any alignment or cost. I'm not a big believer that less than say 15hz even matters. I've heard nothing yet to sway me. Popalock's room demo with sixteen 18" subs this Friday night will decide if I can honestly continue to say that. If you can't impress me with ULF subsonic frequencies with sixteen 18" subs in a 1500 cubic foot room - then I don't care anything about ULF below about 15hz. We shall see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

So what are your thoughts?

I'm going to comment on this only because Archaea and talked about this as he had Austin set his subs to only play anything below 15hz and/or 20hz for one of the demo scenes. Jonathan can correct me if I'm wrong.

With limiting to only 15hz/20hz or below, there were three or four pulses of a little air movement during the Flight of the Phoenix demo scene. Nothing tactical or visceral. This 'kind of' cemented for me that chasing anything below 20hz is not worth it from an entertainment standpoint nor in respect to laws of diminishing returns. As a novelty, sure. Everything that mattered, heard, and that impressed me so much about Austin's 16 sub setup has always been above 20hz (you can read my review in his build thread, but basically, it's ridiculously awesome).

I'm definitely open to be proven otherwise. Until then, high quality 20Hz+ performance is where its at....IMHO cool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page