post #121 of 24700 Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Those are some very expensive choices for stands

Yeah!!! These guys are making some good money off of these stands. The design of most of these is very, very simple (It's all extrusion). I am going to try my hand at making some stout stands in the future as I have some metal fab. experience. I was thinking about incorporating wood for asthetics and metal for structure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 AM

Liked: 10
Jedirun, thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out. I figure they would work together, but for this $ I don't want my inexperience to get in the way...

Any chance you can point me to the math you are doing? I need to learn how to do some of these calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

I will tell you tomorrow. I will be powering my Triple 8's with Audiosource Amp 300's. They are similar in power to your receiver. Doing the math, I should be able to reach reference level at my listening position with a single Triple 8 and 40 watts.

I would give you a more direct comparison with my Onkyo TX-NR905, but I just spent a couple of days setting it up to be used as a preamp driving the amps, and there has not been an appreciable difference with my old speakers. (Not that I would expect much of a difference). Anyway, the 10 watt difference in the amplifiers should not make much a difference compared to the 1000 watt system mentioned by others.

Other people have said that receivers drive them just fine.

post #123 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I ordered my new 12s a month ago,havent got them yet,but Jeff & his co. are okay!! youll get them,its just the waiting that sucks!!!! Ive had my own business before,sometimes certain parts are delayed from suppliers.
post #124 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 AM

I'm new to 4 ohm speakers, and have read that because they are more sensitive, its not unusual to hear noises, like a hiss, resulting from grounding that is not quite right, when they are at idle. Is that correct? I had a hum on my sub, and was directed to use a cheater plug, which fixed it. This tells me my ground is not quite right, which I believe (b/c the house was wired in '73). (I cannot hear any extra noises on my current 8 ohm speakers.) Can anyone advise?
post #125 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM

dholmes,
I'm sure that you are correct. Just getting anxious... and frankly this was probably not the best place to vent those concerns. I'll contact Jeff directly.

Allan
post #126 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 465
It took a very long time to get triple 8's and then slanted 8's. I think I was one of the first to get the system for HT(Soundood does not count since he was the dealer). Anyway, good things come to those who wait. It is worth it.
post #127 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered my slanted 8s about 2 weeks ago. Thats pretty quick for hand build product. My Epik subwoofer took about a month to come. Jeffs probably building and shipping speakers 16 hours a day. But thats what he gets for making great and affordable speakers
post #128 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Other thank wanting regular binding posts to use better wire and getting stands to get the speakers up about 14" I couldn't be happier with these speakers. I have no room treatments, a relatively weak sub and B&W DM603s for rear and my system still makes me grin. I am sure there are upgrades to be done but I am pretty sure this setup will last me a long time.

--JK
www.seanile31.com
post #129 of 24700 Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I will be using Sound Anchor stands with my Triple 8's. I know they are expensive but they are nice. I picked up the Left & Right stand used for a great deal and had Sound Anchor make me a custom center speaker stand. I really like how the stand can swivel up and down. Here are some pics.

Mankite
post #130 of 24700 Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

I was able to finish dialing in the 5x Triple 8 setup in the company theater here yesterday. I'm powering each with a QSC RMX850 in bridged mono mode.

So far - the results are outstanding. Huge soundstage, crystal clear and awesome dynamic range. I'll be doing some more work today with EQ and REW to dial in the bottom end but I'm extremely impressed.

The 12000CF room I have them in hits reference levels with ease with the gain at about 12 o'clock.

Verum postulo res.
post #131 of 24700 Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

I was able to finish dialing in the 5x Triple 8 setup in the company theater here yesterday. I'm powering each with a QSC RMX850 in bridged mono mode.

So far - the results are outstanding. Huge soundstage, crystal clear and awesome dynamic range. I'll be doing some more work today with EQ and REW to dial in the bottom end but I'm extremely impressed.

The 12000CF room I have them in hits reference levels with ease with the gain at about 12 o'clock.

Thanks Dave, can you take some pics of the setup?

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #132 of 24700 Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Will do - I'll bring my camera in tomorrow.

Verum postulo res.
post #133 of 24700 Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Other thank wanting regular binding posts to use better wire and getting stands to get the speakers up about 14" I couldn't be happier with these speakers. I have no room treatments, a relatively weak sub and B&W DM603s for rear and my system still makes me grin. I am sure there are upgrades to be done but I am pretty sure this setup will last me a long time.

--JK
www.seanile31.com

you can get them with regular binding posts now... and the posts are monsters!!! I think they might take wire the size of a garden hose!! .. but they are the "baddest" posts I have ever seen.
Joe H
post #134 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post

I hate to be the only naysayer but...... having ordered a 7.1 T8/S8 system on July 9th (with prepayment).... and promised a shipping date "the first week in August." It's now Sept and nothing. Starting to get a little frustrated Anyone else in the same boat?

Allan

At least Jeff had accepted your order. I'm still waiting for shipping quote. We just can't wait to throw money at Jeff.
post #135 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLPat View Post

Jedirun, thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out. I figure they would work together, but for this $ I don't want my inexperience to get in the way...

Any chance you can point me to the math you are doing? I need to learn how to do some of these calculations.

FLPat,

First off. You will be completely fine with your receiver. From first hand experience, I can now say that the speakers blow away my little room with the power I am feeding them. I will post some more impressions once I have done more listening today.

Here is an online calculator to figure out SPL with various amplifier power ratings and speaker sensitivities.

http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor...ladores_en.htm
post #136 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Images as promised, excuse the poor quality.

Since these are mounted from a suspended ceiling it was pretty hard to find a viable mounting solution. Ultimately I chose to go with an Allen Products mount (MM020X) which hangs on standard schedule 40 NPT Pipe.

Each pipe is mounted to a joist so they are very secure. I'm a little disappointed that I can't have them at ear level however this is a company theater so the room does have to serve another purpose at some times.

The screen right now is an experiment (we're probably going to install a large motorized screen eventually, but overall the sound quality is very good. I almost hurt my ears last night demo'ing 300.

Verum postulo res.
post #137 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

Images as promised, excuse the poor quality.

Since these are mounted from a suspended ceiling it was pretty hard to find a viable mounting solution. Ultimately I chose to go with an Allen Products mount (MM020X) which hangs on standard schedule 40 NPT Pipe.

Each pipe is mounted to a joist so they are very secure. I'm a little disappointed that I can't have them at ear level however this is a company theater so the room does have to serve another purpose at some times.

The screen right now is an experiment (we're probably going to install a large motorized screen eventually, but overall the sound quality is very good. I almost hurt my ears last night demo'ing 300.

Thanks for the pics Dave. Certainly is a live looking room but I suppose the large size would mitigate that somewhat.

The obvious question is, why does a business need a theater with such a powerful audio system?

HToM

post #138 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

The owner of the company is very interested in audio and video - he has a home theater and a very high end stereo set up at his house and came to me asking to put together a system that would be "as close as possible to movie theater sound" without being obtrusive or floor mounted.

Since the budget was somewhat fixed (10k) and the projector was already decided - I had to determine what would get us the best sound from the smallest box. Triple 8's with plenty of amplification turned out to be the best decision.

The amplifiers cost about 1600 dollars in total on top of the 2010 T8's.

As for the live room issue - it really is a factor but luckily both horizontal walls in the room (25' long by 12' high) are sliding acoustic partitions. With that much absorption on the side walls it deadens the room up sufficiently that there isn't much bounce with some bodies in the room.

The ceiling also has two "clouds" which seem to help break up ceiling reflections a little bit as well.

Verum postulo res.
post #139 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

The owner of the company is very interested in audio and video - he has a home theater and a very high end stereo set up at his house and came to me asking to put together a system that would be "as close as possible to movie theater sound" without being obtrusive or floor mounted.

Since the budget was somewhat fixed (10k) and the projector was already decided - I had to determine what would get us the best sound from the smallest box. Triple 8's with plenty of amplification turned out to be the best decision.

The amplifiers cost about 1600 dollars in total on top of the 2010 T8's.

As for the live room issue - it really is a factor but luckily both horizontal walls in the room (25' long by 12' high) are sliding acoustic partitions. With that much absorption on the side walls it deadens the room up sufficiently that there isn't much bounce with some bodies in the room.

The ceiling also has two "clouds" which seem to help break up ceiling reflections a little bit as well.

Interesting, sounds like a fun guy to work for.

I agree with your speaker selection and I'm sure having all that power makes for an amazing sound system. Thanks again for the pics and comments.

HToM

post #140 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Finally got those highly anticipated tracking numbers! Looking forward to doing some rocket 850 / Triple 8 side-by-side comparisons over the next couple of weeks

Allan
post #141 of 24700 Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post

Finally got those highly anticipated tracking numbers! Looking forward to doing some rocket 850 / Triple 8 side-by-side comparisons over the next couple of weeks

Allan

I'm sorry bro. but after maybe the first 30 seconds of listening to the T8's you will put up the Rockets for good.
post #142 of 24700 Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

I guess it is time to post my initial impressions of the Triple 8's.

First some background information on the room:

I have 3 Triple 8's placed vertically below my front projector screen. I moved the coaxial to the to the top position. (It was not too hard. It just required a couple of Allen wrenches.) They fit perfectly below the screen in front of my 26" tall acoustic panels. This places the center of the coaxial approximately 27" off of the floor due to the cement riser built into the floor at the front of the room, and approximately 5 below the bottom of the picture. My ear height is approximately 30" off the ground when fully reclined so this is not too bad.

I have 9 acoustic panels in my 1700 cubic foot room. Two 2" thick, Five 4" thick and two 6" thick.

Each Triple 8" is being powered by a single channel of an Audiosource Amp 300. I am using an Onkyo TX-NR905 as a preamp and I ran Audyssey prior to my listening tests. The Audiosource amps are rated at 150 watts RMS at 8 ohms and 235 watts RMS at 4 ohms so there is not a whole lot of difference between them and a reasonably high end receiver.

I am using my old left and right (DIY Vifa MTM's Vifa XT25 Dual, Concentric Dome Ring Radiator tweeter and two Vifa PL18 7" woofers with an 8" rear mounted Seas passive radiator) for side surrounds and my old side surrounds (Madisound Vifa Studio kit speakers, Same tweeter with a Vifa PL14 5.5" woofer with a 6" rear mounted Seas passive radiator) for rear surrounds. My old center was also a Vifa Studio.

I am using a NHT1259 based sub in a sealed 3 cubic foot, diy box with a 250 watt amplifier.

My own background:

I have used lower end home theater speakers in the past (top of the line Cambridge Soundworks), and since the current upgrade is from DIY speakers, I can not say that I am by any means an expert in high end sound, but I have been an enthusiast for a while.

Now my impressions of the Speakers:

Aesthetics:

I think the speakers look awesome. I ordered them with Speakon connections and steel grills to protect them from my 21 month old daughter. I really like the look of the steel grills. I think I like it even better than the look of the fabric grills. of course my speakers are in the garage, I have different tastes than most, and I have been ogling RMK!'s system on the forums for months. By the way, wiring up 4 by 12 gauge wire into the Speakon connectors, was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Calibration and Sound:

My old left and right were calibrated at +6. These are to my ears, very good sounding speakers. They sounded considerably better than my Madisound Vifa Studio Kit speakers. Two of Triple 8's were calibrated at -12 and one was calibrated at -11.5 by Audyssey. I was worried that they may need to be adjusted even lower, because -12 is the lower limit for Audyssey. However, I double checked the measurements with a tripod mounted Radioshack SPL meter and the levels were spot on. That 18 db change in sensitivity has got to be a big deal, my receiver and then later, my amps were probably struggling to provide the SPL I was asking for with these speakers.

Everyone knows that these speakers can go loud. So I thought I would focus on their ability to play the tiny details with the volume down.

So far, the Triple 8's have sounded fantastic with everything I have thrown at them. The biggest thing I have noticed is that I can hear the quietest detail in a movie and can hear every word that is spoken without having to crank the volume up, but when I do crank it up it stays just as crystal clear. The ability of these speakers to reproduce dialog is amazing.

With respect to music, they have sounded great with everything from Classical to heavy metal.

Someone asked a question about whether there would be a hiss from the speakers. I have not noticed any hiss whatsoever.

My wife and I went into one of the higher end local home theater stores a couple of days ago while waiting to meet some friends for dinner and heard a demonstration of some Paradigm speakers with the gunfight scene from Open Range. They sounded very good. My wife really like the fact that you could hear the dialog without having to constantly adjust the volume of the system. Her biggest complaint with our old speaker setup was that in order for the dialog to be understandable, I would turn the volume too loud and when the action scene hit, it would be too loud for her. To my ears, my current system puts the Paradigm one to shame. We rented Open Range yesterday and will hopefully get a chance to compare the scene today using the Triple 8's. It will be nice to see what my wife thinks of the comparison, since it takes a big difference before she will acknowledge an improvement in sound quality.

I will post some pictures soon.
post #143 of 24700 Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

I guess it is time to post my initial impressions of the Triple 8's.

First some background information on the room:

I have 3 Triple 8's placed vertically below my front projector screen. I moved the coaxial to the to the top position. (It was not too hard. It just required a couple of Allen wrenches.) They fit perfectly below the screen in front of my 26" tall acoustic panels. This places the center of the coaxial approximately 27" off of the floor due to the cement riser built into the floor at the front of the room, and approximately 5 below the bottom of the picture. My ear height is approximately 30" off the ground when fully reclined so this is not too bad.

I have 9 acoustic panels in my 1700 cubic foot room. Two 2" thick, Five 4" thick and two 6" thick.

Each Triple 8" is being powered by a single channel of an Audiosource Amp 300. I am using an Onkyo TX-NR905 as a preamp and I ran Audyssey prior to my listening tests. The Audiosource amps are rated at 150 watts RMS at 8 ohms and 235 watts RMS at 4 ohms so there is not a whole lot of difference between them and a reasonably high end receiver.

I am using my old left and right (DIY Vifa MTM's Vifa XT25 Dual, Concentric Dome Ring Radiator tweeter and two Vifa PL18 7" woofers with an 8" rear mounted Seas passive radiator) for side surrounds and my old side surrounds (Madisound Vifa Studio kit speakers, Same tweeter with a Vifa PL14 5.5" woofer with a 6" rear mounted Seas passive radiator) for rear surrounds. My old center was also a Vifa Studio.

I am using a NHT1259 based sub in a sealed 3 cubic foot, diy box with a 250 watt amplifier.

My own background:

I have used lower end home theater speakers in the past (top of the line Cambridge Soundworks), and since the current upgrade is from DIY speakers, I can not say that I am by any means an expert in high end sound, but I have been an enthusiast for a while.

Now my impressions of the Speakers:

Aesthetics:

I think the speakers look awesome. I ordered them with Speakon connections and steel grills to protect them from my 21 month old daughter. I really like the look of the steel grills. I think I like it even better than the look of the fabric grills. of course my speakers are in the garage, I have different tastes than most, and I have been ogling RMK!'s system on the forums for months. By the way, wiring up 4 by 12 gauge wire into the Speakon connectors, was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Calibration and Sound:

My old left and right were calibrated at +6. These are to my ears, very good sounding speakers. They sounded considerably better than my Madisound Vifa Studio Kit speakers. Two of Triple 8's were calibrated at -12 and one was calibrated at -11.5 by Audyssey. I was worried that they may need to be adjusted even lower, because -12 is the lower limit for Audyssey. However, I double checked the measurements with a tripod mounted Radioshack SPL meter and the levels were spot on. That 18 db change in sensitivity has got to be a big deal, my receiver and then later, my amps were probably struggling to provide the SPL I was asking for with these speakers.

Everyone knows that these speakers can go loud. So I thought I would focus on their ability to play the tiny details with the volume down.

So far, the Triple 8's have sounded fantastic with everything I have thrown at them. The biggest thing I have noticed is that I can hear the quietest detail in a movie and can hear every word that is spoken without having to crank the volume up, but when I do crank it up it stays just as crystal clear. The ability of these speakers to reproduce dialog is amazing.

With respect to music, they have sounded great with everything from Classical to heavy metal.

Someone asked a question about whether there would be a hiss from the speakers. I have not noticed any hiss whatsoever.

My wife and I went into one of the higher end local home theater stores a couple of days ago while waiting to meet some friends for dinner and heard a demonstration of some Paradigm speakers with the gunfight scene from Open Range. They sounded very good. My wife really like the fact that you could hear the dialog without having to constantly adjust the volume of the system. Her biggest complaint with our old speaker setup was that in order for the dialog to be understandable, I would turn the volume too loud and when the action scene hit, it would be too loud for her. To my ears, my current system puts the Paradigm one to shame. We rented Open Range yesterday and will hopefully get a chance to compare the scene today using the Triple 8's. It will be nice to see what my wife thinks of the comparison, since it takes a big difference before she will acknowledge an improvement in sound quality.

I will post some pictures soon.

Good for you Jedirun!!! It's great to hear you finally got those bad boys setup.

Have you tried comparing the soundstage and dynamics with Audyssey turned off? I know we talked about this but I was wondering if Audyssey effects your setup as it does mine. I am pretty sure there is an option in the setup on your 905 to just turn the Audyssey EQ off.

Also, at what listening level have you tried these bad boys on? What do you refer to as low listening levels (as well as high) for the T8's?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but you know how exciting this stuff can make you.

Again congrats
post #144 of 24700 Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Señor Member

Nice job Jedi ...

The Open Range demo will reveal much.

HToM

post #145 of 24700 Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Been a fun weekend so far.....

3 Triple 8's, 2 Slanted 8's, and 1 Submersive. Very happy so far with my Jeff Seaton system..... more to come soon.

Mankite
post #146 of 24700 Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Señor Member

JTR/Seaton has a nice ring to it. I suggest a merger.

How's the Audyssey Pro working out?

HToM

post #147 of 24700 Old 09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
mankite,

Can you post of photo of the front three Triple 8's on the stands that is a little "lighter" - so I can see the detail on the speakers, and how they look on the stands?

Thanks!
post #148 of 24700 Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

JTR/Seaton has a nice ring to it. I suggest a merger.

How's the Audyssey Pro working out?

It's not JTR/Seaton, it's Jeff Seaton. I'm not throughly convinced they're the same person. Until I see them in the same place at the same time I have my doubts, lol. As for the Audyssey Pro we never attempted to use it. We just ran the SMS-1 and used jeff's pro audio equipment to dial it in.

Mankite
post #149 of 24700 Old 09-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

Have you tried comparing the soundstage and dynamics with Audyssey turned off? I know we talked about this but I was wondering if Audyssey effects your setup as it does mine. I am pretty sure there is an option in the setup on your 905 to just turn the Audyssey EQ off.

We played the gunfight scene from Open Range with the Audyssey on and off this evening. The dynamics seemed to be better with it off. I will have to do some more AB testing to be sure, but I think I will leave it off and get some sort of seperate subwoofer EQ. In fact, with it on, my wife was saying that she thought the Paradigms sounded better. With it off she agreed that the JTR's sounded better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

Also, at what listening level have you tried these bad boys on? What do you refer to as low listening levels (as well as high) for the T8's?

The low listening levels I was referring to are around -20 db. Every bit of dialogue and the other quiet sounds in the gunfight scene were still discernable which I would expect might have been a problem with my old speakers. The first time we watched the scene, we actually listened at a much lower volume level than it was played in the store and it was still enjoyable.

After that, I turned it up to -5 which is quite a bit louder than I ever played a movie with the old speakers. My wife rarely let me turn it up any louder than -14. However, she did not complain at all about the volume. It just sounded good, and not at all too loud. I imagine that this is the effortless volume that everyone talks about. It is now clear that my old speakers were straining or too much was being asked of my amps. With the JTR's I probably could have got away with reference level listening.
post #150 of 24700 Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Here's some more pics

Mankite
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com