Official JTR speaker thread - Page 505 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My LCR are about 38" at tweeter level so there's room for heights, but I cannot go outboard much. The heights would be almost on top of the LR speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you have some to test with that would be the best way to check. Obviously before buying anything. My guess is you would like them.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner969 View Post

So.... I got the S8s mounted as two slanted front wides, and two LP surrounds. Gave them a quick test, and wow! Everything improved another level over the deftech surrounds/wides I was using. It feels like I'm sitting in a bubble of sound. Everything matches nicely and the S8s really complement the 212s well.

BTW, I love front wides. Like I said, it's like sitting in a bubble of sound as Optimus Prime and Megatron go at it.

I do have two problems thought:

1. I want to put up rear surrounds... so I have to dish out more money for two more slanted 8s, and some how mount them to the ceiling.
2. I finally got my ClassD Audio SDS-470 amp and hooked it up to the LCR. Ran Audyssey and it complained the phase was not correct on the speakers. After some experimenting, I have to connect the speaker wires reversed in order to have Audyssey be happy. I'm using XLRs from the AV8801 to the SDS470. Anyone have any thoughts? Does it matter?

It doesnt matter if you have to reverse the wires. wont make any difference. Ive had a few amps that had the same thing in my processor.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Thanks, N8. Do u mean that I can ignore the complaint from audyssey and connect them as per color coding, or I should leave them reversed?
Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

Thanks, N8. Do u mean that I can ignore the complaint from audyssey and connect them as per color coding, or I should leave them reversed?
My 4311 does that to sometimes. If the wires are hooked up correctly ignore Audyssey and go on with it. smile.gif My Pioneer SC-37 did the same at times.

Chris
Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I generally just leave it and ignore it.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Tom said the reverse polarity is done on purpose. So I'll leave it reversed. Thanks for the help again.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Q) Is the 2AX pretty much the same thing as the 228HT, except for the pro cabinet and pole mounting? (which I'd like). Or are they completely different speakers.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Q) Is the 2AX pretty much the same thing as the 228HT, except for the pro cabinet and pole mounting ? (which I'd like). Or are they completely different speakers.
Same CD/horn but has 10" woofers. Both are 2-way speakers but they have different cabinets. The 2ax cost $400 more.

It would appear they are the same from 1000hz up and differ from 1000hz down.

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/noesis-2ax-and-3tx-6036068

Chris
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Q) Is the 2AX pretty much the same thing as the 228HT, except for the pro cabinet and pole mounting? (which I'd like). Or are they completely different speakers.
I am not sure how fimilar you are with JTR, but Jeff does custom work. If you have something in mind you would like, just ask him to do it.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Woohoo. When I ordered my Noesis in late December Jeff said 4 to 5 weeks for the 212s and 7 to 8 weeks for the custom center. I just spoke with him and he said everything should be ready late next week. Jeff...completing custom work ahead of time....what is this world coming to smile.gif
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

I think archaea mentioned once that the Gjallahorn is tuned to a certain frequency and anything below that drops off precipitously, whereas the Orbit Shifter behaves more like a sealed sub but giving up some output...

As was mentioned, there is some slight "ringing" above 60hz but how prevalent it is in room, I don't know. Using another sub to handle above 60hz seems to be the suggestion though biggrin.gif

Quote:

Thanks, Moto. I'll check out those mounts.

So, with the ClassD amps, you're saying that it's ok to have the speaker wires connected in reverse? I'm guessing the AV8801 is somehow outputting a balanced signal that has the opposite polarity that the amp is expecting. The reason I want to confirm is that the AV8801 manual says that for some speakers, Audyssey will say wrong phase but it should be ignored. how do I make sure the phase is indeed wrong?

You always want all of your speaker to be in phase, if the positives and negatives are incorrectly done then you will have issues. If your room or speaker placement is causing audyssey to show phase issues and you have already double and triple checked that your wiring is indeed correct, then simply ignore it.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Woohoo. When I ordered my Noesis in late December Jeff said 4 to 5 weeks for the 212s and 7 to 8 weeks for the custom center. I just spoke with him and he said everything should be ready late next week. Jeff...completing custom work ahead of time....what is this world coming to smile.gif
Sounds like Good intentions but the phrase "Grain of Salt" comes to mind.smile.gif
Chris
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh man....... I ordered mine in October and still nothing.... lol

Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Ahh man....... I ordered mine in October and still nothing.... lol

$10 says he is shipping me your center and got our orders confused smile.gif

As Chris said, I am taking it with a grain of salt. I asked him twice just in case I heard him wrong and he said everything should be ready to ship by next Friday.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$10 says he is shipping me your center and got our orders confused smile.gif

As Chris said, I am taking it with a grain of salt. I asked him twice just in case I heard him wrong and he said everything should be ready to ship by next Friday.

Well although that would be awesome for you, it would kinda suck for me LOL Now the next week or 2 wait is gonna suck big time!!!!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Liked: 10
Pair of T8s for sale. Upgrading to TX. 1500$ obo. Located in CT. Well treated, used in both HT and Pro applications.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 PM

Liked: 10
Another picture of back of T8s up for offer.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
my speakers are supposed to ship wednesday, fingers crossed!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by razevents View Post

Pair of T8s for sale. Upgrading to TX. 1500$ obo. Located in CT. Well treated, used in both HT and Pro applications.

Do these gave the latest compression drivers and crossovers? They look like the older models?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 268
well I guess it has been my turn to get no communication from Jeff smile.gif Heck the first 5-6 times I called he answered every time! Now no email or answered calls, even from this supposedly new assistant? Anyway I have no idea when. I fully expect Fed EX to show up at my work with a couple of big boxes...biggrin.gif

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

well I guess it has been my turn to get no communication from Jeff smile.gif Heck the first 5-6 times I called he answered every time! Now no email or answered calls, even from this supposedly new assistant? Anyway I have no idea when. I fully expect Fed EX to show up at my work with a couple of big boxes...biggrin.gif

I quite literally hope, every single day when I get home that I have my center waiting for me....... When it's not, a little piece of me dies.... biggrin.gif

Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I quite literally hope, every single day when I get home that I have my center waiting for me....... When it's not, a little piece of me dies.... biggrin.gif
I remember that feeling well and it's been a year past already!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I hear that Jeff tests each and every speaker before shipping them out... basically, the quality control is high... that might be another reason for orders to pile up as they become more popular... it's time to really get an efficient helper, someone who's also technically sound to answer questions, take orders, get the speaker cabinets ordered, parts and inventory control, etc, and leaving Jeff with the quality control, and coming up with new products, etc.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I might be missing it but I don't see the Facebook post about hiring someone new to help out anymore. Maybe that didn't work out? It is kind of a double-edged sword because on one hand, Jeff definitely seems to need some help keeping up with everything, but on the other hand his craftsmanship and knowledge is what makes the product.

Video - Panasonic VT50 55" | Panasonic BDT320
AVR - Denon X4000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350
Speakers - JTR Noesis 228HT | DIY Sound Group Volt V10 | JTR Captivator S2
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by razevents View Post

Another picture of back of T8s up for offer.

Nice!!

I am thinking of selling my Noesis set up. I want to put a classified up, but I don't want to commit to anything just yet.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

When business is good you cannot get done fast enough but when business slows down (as it always does) its hard to pay someone to sit around. Its hard find/keep Quality employees with part time work. That's how my business is anyways.

Spring and summer seem to be slow in the audio industry but this is just a guess.

Giving shipping dates of like 8-12 weeks instead of 4-5 weeks would definitely create more realistic expectations. smile.gif This will not cover everyone but it does most.
Chris
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

I might be missing it but I don't see the Facebook post about hiring someone new to help out anymore. Maybe that didn't work out? It is kind of a double-edged sword because on one hand, Jeff definitely seems to need some help keeping up with everything, but on the other hand his craftsmanship and knowledge is what makes the product.

Jeff has had a couple of friends helping him out during the holiday season and it seems that other than some custom work, folks are getting their orders close to their commit dates.

On a brighter note (for me biggrin.gif ) Jeff tells me that the first 215T cabinet will be done next week. I'm hoping to get pics once the cabinet hit his shop. Also, version 3 of the 215T woofers are on order and the crossover has yet to be built but progress is being made. cool.gif

My Rane 88 Multiprocessor has arrived and after some playing with the Dragnet Software it looks to be a good tool to get the most out of the 215T's.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Old 01-22-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Jeff has had a couple of friends helping him out during the holiday season and it seems that other than some custom work, folks are getting their orders close to their commit dates.

On a brighter note (for me biggrin.gif ) Jeff tells me that the first 215T cabinet will be done next week. I'm hoping to get pics once the cabinet hit his shop. Also, version 3 of the 215T woofers are on order and the crossover has yet to be built but progress is being made. cool.gif

My Rane 88 Multiprocessor has arrived and after some playing with the Dragnet Software it looks to be a good tool to get the most out of the 215T's.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing impressions on that thing. No way it would ever fit in my current room (size and finances!), but the most intriguing part to me may be how it compares to the 212HT with the larger custom horn and lower crossover point for the CD.

I actually heard back from Jeff this morning that my stands are done and he is waiting on drivers for the S2, once those arrive he will have all three items out to me pretty quickly. He quoted five weeks when I ordered in late December and it sounds like that estimate will be almost exact based on the email.

I've started to limit time spent listening to the 228HTs, I want to hear them fully setup with stands and the S2 and be blown away (hopefully not literally, I have a feeling the S2 will have the ability to destroy my ~900 ft^3 room).

Video - Panasonic VT50 55" | Panasonic BDT320
AVR - Denon X4000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350
Speakers - JTR Noesis 228HT | DIY Sound Group Volt V10 | JTR Captivator S2
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Nice!!

I am thinking of selling my Noesis set up. I want to put a classified up, but I don't want to commit to anything just yet.

Didn't you just get the Noesis? What's next - Danleys? smile.gif

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp