Official JTR speaker thread - Page 508 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15211 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
BAH!!!! WTF is that?!? eek.gif

Scared the sh!t out of me when I refreshed the page Carp!

Time for a Bex and a good lie down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Hahaha, sorry guys.

Brandon and I had a contact mix up at the GTG and he referenced it in his last post so I googled scary contacts for some reason.

I was going to post this:

Hmmm I thought I was going to take a break from drinking for a while after the GTG....

Alight, I'll take a break from posting for a while. tongue.gifeek.gif
post #15213 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
^ ^ That's better. Luckily I don't have that clown phobia thing watchamacallit... biggrin.gif
post #15214 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Jeff needs to roll out his new speakers soon! Looks like you guys are getting a bit stir crazy...
carp likes this.
post #15215 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Haha, not a single frame smile.gif Ever noticed how many F-bombs they drop? In college we used to play take a sip of beer every time they dropped one. I think with normal sips it is close to an 18 pack. I never made it through.

Ever try this variation of the game?
http://drinkingcinema.com/game/The+Big+Lebowski

Excellent!
post #15216 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post

Jeff needs to roll out his new speakers soon! Looks like you guys are getting a bit stir crazy...

Ha, agreed and sorry guys.... that got weird.... smile.gif
post #15217 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

I never asked the price b/c they are out of my range. They have a 1" cd which I have read is the BMS 4550 but I can't confirm that. Whatever it is its nice but cannot be as capable as the coaxial Neo CD in the 212. So it has to be the total package that makes the Danleys special. They are in essence a giant horn and Tom Danley seems to be a highly respected audio engineer.

This past GTG brought a lot of attention to them but I am still trying to figure out why. Beast owns the ones from this past weekend so maybe he can elaborate as to what he thinks. smile.gif They are an all around unique speaker.

I am completely focused on the 212 and looking forward to the 215t. I will not be swayed from these two. biggrin.gif

Chris

Me too ... (shocker tongue.gif)

Well the passive Danley SM60F is $2700 with it's $150 CD confused.gif. The CD in the 228 is approx double that cost and the 212's is approx. 5X the cost.

TD gets a lot of performance out of some rather pedestrian drivers.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #15218 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've been following this thread for the past few months and have been seriously considering JTR speakers, and am totally sold on the merits of high efficiency horn designs with huge clean output capability. Looking into other options besides JTR, I found these: JBL STX 835 http://jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/stx800-series/stx835#.UuHeIBDTmUk. I thought they looked like a cool design with lots of high quality parts (~$1700 list price in drivers alone), so I ordered a pair to audition. Well, they are not going back! In fact I ordered a third for center channel and am currently building a shelving system to accommodate. I will post pictures (in another thread) when the setup is complete, but so far I'm amazed by what I'm hearing. My previous speakers were Legacy Focus SE and Marquis HD, excellent performers overall. But the JBL's take it up several notches in dynamics and are more coherent and have more uniform off-axis response within their 60 x 40 dispersion window. This gives them a bigger sweet spot both vertically and horizontally. The JBL's have quick, impactful mid-bass, but roll off below around 50 Hz. The 2432H HF compression driver sounds clean and well-balanced - not too bright, though not as smooth as the Legacy's ribbons. But these speakers are still settling in so they should smooth out (or my hearing will adapt wink.gif) with time. Overall, lots of depth to the soundstage - totally diggin' it! cool.gif. Note that the horn section is square and can be rotated for use in the horizontal position. I also love that JBL publishes their frequency response, both on and off-axis. More later, but just wanted to give those following this thread some food for thought...

P.S. You must remove the grills (which screw on) in order to get these speakers to sound their best, and the WAF is pretty terrible. tongue.gif
post #15219 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

I've been following this thread for the past few months and have been seriously considering JTR speakers, and am totally sold on the merits of high efficiency horn designs with huge clean output capability. Looking into other options besides JTR, I found these: JBL STX 835 http://jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/stx800-series/stx835#.UuHeIBDTmUk. I thought they looked like a cool design with lots of high quality parts (~$1700 list price in drivers alone), so I ordered a pair to audition. Well, they are not going back! In fact I ordered a third for center channel and am currently building a shelving system to accommodate. I will post pictures (in another thread) when the setup is complete, but so far I'm amazed by what I'm hearing. My previous speakers were Legacy Focus SE and Marquis HD, excellent performers overall. But the JBL's take it up several notches in dynamics and are more coherent and have more uniform off-axis response within their 60 x 40 dispersion window. This gives them a bigger sweet spot both vertically and horizontally. The JBL's have quick, impactful mid-bass, but roll off below around 50 Hz. The 2432H HF compression driver sounds clean and well-balanced - not too bright, though not as smooth as the Legacy's ribbons. But these speakers are still settling in so they should smooth out (or my hearing will adapt wink.gif) with time. Overall, lots of depth to the soundstage - totally diggin' it! cool.gif. Note that the horn section is square and can be rotated for use in the horizontal position. I also love that JBL publishes their frequency response, both on and off-axis. More later, but just wanted to give those following this thread some food for thought...

P.S. You must remove the grills (which screw on) in order to get these speakers to sound their best, and the WAF is pretty terrible. tongue.gif

Congrats on the new speakers. I see these are a bit more than the 212. Any reason you didn't try out the 212 instead?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #15220 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Congrats on the new speakers. I see these are a bit more than the 212. Any reason you didn't try out the 212 instead?

The JBL's bass goes deeper and has 2 15" drivers (2226H) that sell for $500 a piece on Parts Express. They are horn loaded down to 250 Hz, which will make the lower midrange more coherent than 400 Hz horn hoading of the 212. JBL publishes their measurements, and they measure very flat from 50 - 20kHz. And probably the biggest factor, I like to experiment! Since I couldn't find any reports of people using these speakers for HiFi / Home Theater, I was curious how they would work out smile.gif.
JF56 likes this.
post #15221 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Nice speakers for sure. I measured the 888LP at my LP and they are pretty flat so you should have Doug around more. People are showing great responses at their LP. Having said that the dual 2226's are hard to beat no matter what anyways. You could have saved a ton and bough the 4722N's!
post #15222 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

You could have saved a ton and bough the 4722N's!
2-way vs. 3-way and horn loading to 250 Hz instead of 800 Hz. Both of these factors suggest better midrange coherence and resolution in the STX835, no?
post #15223 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

The JBL's bass goes deeper and has 2 15" drivers (2226H) that sell for $500 a piece on Parts Express. They are horn loaded down to 250 Hz, which will make the lower midrange more coherent than 400 Hz horn hoading of the 212. JBL publishes their measurements, and they measure very flat from 50 - 20kHz. And probably the biggest factor, I like to experiment! Since I couldn't find any reports of people using these speakers for HiFi / Home Theater, I was curious how they would work out smile.gif.

I like JBL pro but the reason they price their drivers so high is because they only want to do OEM/self business. The 2226 is a good driver but can be found for $160 if you look around. I have 12 x 2242H's that I paid $200 a piece for used ($1000 drivers each) and I bought 2 brand new for $400 each. JBL pro always prices their raw drivers really high, they always have and likely always will, thats why they are not widely used in the DIY section.

If you've never even heard the 212 or any other JTR speaker, there is no point in discussing what it can or can't do. It's great you like your new speakers but why you came into this thread to tell us all you like your JBL's is a mystery to me.

There is a JBL thread that would love to hear your experience with your new speakers.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #15224 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I like JBL pro but the reason they price their drivers so high is because they only want to do OEM/self business. The 2226 is a good driver but can be found for $160 if you look around. I have 12 x 2242H's that I paid $200 a piece for used ($1000 drivers each) and I bought 2 brand new for $400 each. JBL pro always prices their raw drivers really high, they always have and likely always will, thats why they are not widely used in the DIY section.

If you've never even heard the 212 or any other JTR speaker, there is no point in discussing what it can or can't do. It's great you like your new speakers but why you came into this thread to tell us all you like your JBL's is a mystery to me.

There is a JBL thread that would love to hear your experience with your new speakers.

No problem, I will take further discussion to the JBL thread. I wasn't suggesting that the JBL's are "better" than the 212's, only that they are an alternative to consider in the 212 / 215t price range that one might not otherwise consider. If that was uncool to say and I offended anyone in this thread, then my apologies.
post #15225 of 24807 Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

No, you haven't offended anyone at all, it was just strange to come in and start talking about your new JBL's in the JTR thread is all lol.
You are right that they are another great option for us guys who love the HS type speaker. I bet they sound great, just like most JBL pro stuff. They have great designers and lots of money for R&D.
I've heard a lot of different high sensitivity speakers and really enjoy that type of speaker in my HT, JTR is just another option in the pool. Danley, Seaton sound are a few others to check out.

post #15226 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Well the passive Danley SM60F is $2700 with it's $150 CD confused.gif. The CD in the 228 is approx double that cost and the 212's is approx. 5X the cost. .
This is a chance to convey a thought on this price. It is in No way an attempt to start a debate on the subject of dealer cost and Fair market trade. Everyone deserves to make a Buck.

A speaker that can be sold for $1800 direct, add in the word Distributer/Dealer, ends up with a price tag of $2700. For that extra $900 the customer gets e-mails returned, phone calls answered, and products arrive in a timely fashion.

Flip that around and you get JTR speakers. Jeff sells a $2700 product for $1800 direct. Sometimes he returns e-mails and answers phone calls promptly sometimes he does not. Sometimes customers receive there products on time sometimes they do not.

These are two great ways to do business and two great options for customers. When someone sets out to make a purchase do your product research while weighing your options and set your expectations accordingly. This will almost guarantee satisfactory results.

Customer Satisfaction is what really matters the most. Or should I lead with "At the end of the day".
That phrase and the word Amazing are used to frequently. IMO Spiderman is Amazing all else Meh. biggrin.gif

If that attempt at humor failed let me end with this. I am one step above poor white trash so that excludes me from purchase option 1 but It does qualify me to run for Governor of West Virginia. biggrin.gif
If I can't make fun of myself how can I justify making fun of others.
2 cents from The future WVGov. smile.gif
Chris
RMK! and lbrown105 like this.
post #15227 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

This is a chance to convey a thought on this price. It is in No way an attempt to start a debate on the subject of dealer cost and Fair market trade. Everyone deserves to make a Buck.

A speaker that can be sold for $2700 direct, add in the word Distributer/Dealer, ends up with a price tag of $2700. For that extra $900 the customer gets e-mails returned, phone calls answered, and products arrive in a timely fashion.

Flip that around and you get JTR speakers. Jeff sells an $2700 product for $1800 direct. Sometimes he returns e-mails and answers phone calls promptly sometimes he does not. Sometimes customers receive there products on time sometimes they do not.

These are two great ways to do business and two great options for customers. When someone sets out to make a purchase do your product research while weighing your options and set your expectations accordingly. This will almost guarantee satisfactory results.

Customer Satisfaction is what really matters the most. Or should I lead with "At the end of the day".
That phase and the word Amazing are used to frequently. IMO Spiderman is Amazing all else Meh. biggrin.gif

If that attempt at humor failed let me end with this. I am one step above poor white trash so that excludes me from purchase option 1 but It does qualify me to run for Governor of West Virginia. biggrin.gif
Chris

Chris, you will always be "rich white trash" in our hearts biggrin.gif
post #15228 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

Chris

Go ahead and change your username to GovWV. I'd love it. smile.gif
post #15229 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Chris, you will always be "rich white trash" in our hearts biggrin.gif
Thanks man.

Since you live in Ohio I wonder if you share the continually never ending frustrations that come with being a Browns/ Bengals fan. I was born after the Jim Brown era so as a Lifelong fan I have yet to catch a Break.
I have to play Traitor every now and then and route for the Patriots just to experience what a fan whose team wins feels like. biggrin.gif

Dgage
If I could figure out how to change my username I would have done that long ago. CountyWV came as a result of a F''ck up and I have been trying to edit ever since.
That's why I sign all my posts with Chris.biggrin.gif
post #15230 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I am originally from Cincinnati and have been a life long Bengals fan(my grandfather was an original season ticket holder) and it has been fun to see them "turn things around". I would just like to see a playoff win. smile.gif
post #15231 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Thanks man.

Since you live in Ohio I wonder if you share the continually never ending frustrations that come with being a Browns/ Bengals fan. I was born after the Jim Brown era so as a Lifelong fan I have yet to catch a Break.
I have to play Traitor every now and then and route for the Patriots just to experience what a fan whose team wins feels like. biggrin.gif

Dgage
If I could figure out how to change my username I would have done that long ago. CountyWV came as a result of a F''ck up and I have been trying to edit ever since.
That's why I sign all my posts with Chris.biggrin.gif

First and foremost I am a huge Buckeye fan...a die hard. I grew up a Buckeye fan and am alumni of OSU. From an NFL standpoint I am a Bengals fan since I grew up mostly in Cincinnati. Was a great run in the 80s when I was young, a horrible 20 years after that and finally a little bit of success the last few years. The Bengals still don't have "it'...meaning enough to be a serious contender. I think it is partly coaching, partly management and partly a fantastic QB. I thought Dalton was "it" after what I saw his rookie year but he hasn't progressed since.
post #15232 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

My father and uncle split Bengals/Reds season ticket in the 80s so I grew up going to half of the Bengals/Reds home games. What stands out in memory is Pete Johnson. PEEEETEE!!! They tell Pete to haul Ass onto the field and it would take him 2 trips.biggrin.gif:D

The Reds were the real deal back then. Pete Rose it was a privilege.

Those were Good Times
Chris
post #15233 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

My father and uncle split Bengals/Reds season ticket in the 80s so I grew up going to half of the Bengals/Reds home games. What stands out in memory is Pete Johnson. PEEEETEE!!! They tell Pete to haul Ass onto the field and it would take him 2 trips.biggrin.gif:D

The Reds were the real deal back then.

Those were Good Times
Chris

Born and raised Texan, but did live in Louisville KY for 4 years while my dad was doing his surgical residency. My first NFL game, he drove us to see the Bengals -vs- Chiefs and always been a Bengals fan since..........as well as the Cowboys tongue.gif

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #15234 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 117
No love for the chiefs? C'mon man they used be in Texas.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #15235 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

Born and raised Texan, but did live in Louisville KY for 4 years while my dad was doing his surgical residency. My first NFL game, he drove us to see the Bengals -vs- Chiefs and always been a Bengals fan since..........as well as the Cowboys tongue.gif
That's a funny coincidence b/c my other team is anyone who is playing the Cowboys. Fans either love the Cowboys or Hate them. There is No middle ground.smile.gif
The Bengals are feeding Andy Daulton to the wolves instead of allowing him the time to progress as a young Quaterback. Reminds me of what happened to Akili Smith.rolleyes.gif

Chris
post #15236 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

No love for the chiefs? C'mon man they used be in Texas.

Funny, I am actually a Chiefs fan too because of Jamaal Charles! lol Hook 'Em!!! \\m//

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #15237 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

A speaker that can be sold for $1800 direct, add in the word Distributer/Dealer, ends up with a price tag of $2700. For that extra $900 the customer gets e-mails returned, phone calls answered, and products arrive in a timely fashion.

Flip that around and you get JTR speakers. Jeff sells an $2700 product for $1800 direct. Sometimes he returns e-mails and answers phone calls promptly sometimes he does not. Sometimes customers receive there products on time sometimes they do not.

That phase and the word Amazing are used to frequently. IMO Spiderman is Amazing all else Meh. biggrin.gif

Chris

Well your honor (thinking ahead) , you pretty well summed up the pricing situation.
There is a lot to what Mr. Danley brings to the party with his engineering genius (normally an over used term but applicable here wink.gif) and that applies to some other manufacturers as well. Often, the well engineered whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. smile.gif
countryWV likes this.

HToM

post #15238 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

As for that price, I was just offered SH50's for $6100 for a pair, brand new........

post #15239 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

As for that price, I was just offered SH50's for $6100 for a pair, brand new........

Isn't posting that number against Forum Rules? You know I am all about the rules ... rolleyes.giftongue.gif

HToM

post #15240 of 24807 Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 91
FedEx Freight just emailed me. Oh how I love delivery services more than myself in these circumstances. biggrin.gif

*restrained adult glee*

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page