Official JTR speaker thread - Page 538 - AVS Forum
First ... 536  537  538 539  540  ... Last
Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread
dlbeck's Avatar dlbeck 05:22 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Ahh but but this will be corrected in the new room! smile.gif
Yes, all because of you!

obxdiver's Avatar obxdiver 05:24 PM 02-09-2014
Hi All
I have also joined the JTR family.
I ordered the Captivator S2 3 days ago from Jeff.
I was debating between the OS and S2
I finally decided on the S2 because:
- Cap S2 has smaller footprint (OS was a beast, and not sure I needed that much output > 25Hz)
- Cap S2 is better looking than OS
- Cap S2 has dual drivers vs 1 in OS
- Cap S2 has more output < 20Hz
- Cap S2 has a removable grill ( so I can show it off...LOL)

This CAP S2 is replacing a 12 year old Velodyne HGS-18 that recently s**t the bed.

I hope the Cap S2 fits the bill, and proves to be an upgrade from the Velodyne.

I saw the picture of a Cap S2 with cherry veneer on it.
I LOVE THAT. I did not know that was an option.
I would like mine to have that finish. How do I see the other available finishes?
I need to email Jeff and tell him to add that to mine ASAP.

A question about the blue power cord. Does that come with the Cap S2 or purchased separately?
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 05:28 PM 02-09-2014
Power cord comes with it.

The wood veneer is an additional cost option. I don't know how much extra he charges for the veneer, but give him a holler on it. It sure does look sharp! I'll bet it will add some delay to your order because the cabinet shop does it, and so you will have to allow for the increased production time, whereas otherwise Jeff may already have a black cabinet ready to ship out. Let him know ASAP if you want to switch. He can basically do any finish you are willing to pay for - including piano gloss black, or any color or wood veneer.
obxdiver's Avatar obxdiver 05:41 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Power cord comes with it.

The wood veneer is an additional cost option. I don't know how much extra he charges for the veneer, but give him a holler on it. It sure does look sharp! I'll bet it will add some delay to your order because the cabinet shop does it, and so you will have to allow for the increased production time, whereas otherwise Jeff may already have a black cabinet ready to ship out. Let him know ASAP if you want to switch. He can basically do any finish you are willing to pay for - including piano gloss black, or any color or wood veneer.
Thanks Archaea
I sent Jeff an email about the veneer finish.
I also told him to make sure it came with the 4000 watt amp vs 2400 watt some got with their S2's.
Was that a mistake on Jeff's part, or are their 2 amp options?

Thanks for confirming the power cord question.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 06:06 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Thanks Archaea
I sent Jeff an email about the veneer finish.
I also told him to make sure it came with the 4000 watt amp vs 2400 watt some got with their S2's.
Was that a mistake on Jeff's part, or are their 2 amp options?

Thanks for confirming the power cord question.
There is only one option. He accidentally put the wrong amp in mine.
HTPCat's Avatar HTPCat 06:58 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by svencz View Post

This Friday I got the last set of my JTR order:

Surround - T8HT-LP - the design of the 8-lps is so clean, amazing!
Back - Slanted 8s
2x Captivator S1

in addition to what I got in the fall last year:

LR - Noesis 212HT
C - Noesis 228HT

I'm extremely impressed with the speakers, I've had the 212s for almost 6 months now and I'm very happy with my choice (originally I wanted to get Klipsch RF7-II or THX Ultra 2) - thanks everyone on this thread for all the discussions and obviously to Jeff for making great speakers! :-)

Now I have a couple of questions - when I run Audyssey (Denon 4520) it puts three speakers (FL, SL, SR) at -12 dB. Particularly the surround ones are too loud compared to the rest. I've read about using the attenuators, but that doesn't apply if I drive the speakers by the AVR, correct? How can I fix this?

Second, the dual S1s replaced a single Epik Phoenix (ported 18") and while I'm very happy with the performance in music, I'm a bit underwhelmed with movies. I've used Audyssey and run them 3 - 6 dB hot. A good example is Under Attack scene in Master & Commander - with the Epik I was literally afraid to hear the next cannon shot ;-) but with the S1s the effect is much less impressive. I haven't done any measurements yet (I currently only have RS SPL meter and REW), but is there something obvious I can be missing?

I have this same issue with my LCR T12s & my Denon 4311 - You can change your MV reference from 0 to say -5 or -10 and then using a audio test disc with pink noise (with audyssey on, DVol & DEQ off) and a spl meter measure and set the trim levels to 75dB with your MV set to whatever you want your the new reference point to be (I set my MV at -5 ). I use the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition for my test tones and a RS spl meter or sometimes I use REW spl meter and my UMIK-1 mic.
dgage's Avatar dgage 07:16 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

My sub was delivered late August 2013.

The Speakpower amps are great! Last year the Sp1-2400 could be had for $1200.......a recent call to Speakerpower..........well those same amps are $2500 without DSP! Guess they don't want to deal with DIY crowd or protect their speaker manufacturing customers! Planned all along to use these plate amps in my upcoming project.....guess not.

Doublewing,

I exchanged some emails Friday night with the President of SpeakerPower after I had posted in the JTR thread how happy I was with my SP2-8000 rack amp (w/ quiet fan mod). I also mentioned in my post about not selling direct anymore, which is likely the main reason he contacted me. He let me know that they figured things out and will be offering sales to the public again although at slight price hikes (just like JTR and Seaton have done). So take a look at the order page and you will notice the price for the SP1-2400 went up to $1400. He also said Mark Seaton might be able to offer better prices, he wasn't sure.

David
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:37 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Doublewing,

I exchanged some emails Friday night with the President of SpeakerPower after I had posted in the JTR thread how happy I was with my SP2-8000 rack amp (w/ quiet fan mod). I also mentioned in my post about not selling direct anymore, which is likely the main reason he contacted me. He let me know that they figured things out and will be offering sales to the public again although at slight price hikes (just like JTR and Seaton have done). So take a look at the order page and you will notice the price for the SP1-2400 went up to $1400. He also said Mark Seaton might be able to offer better prices, he wasn't sure.

David

Thanks.......at that price I would have bitten! Oh well.............it's too late now, I have two Peavey ipr2 7500's coming so that ship has sailed. As soon as I find a home for my S2, I'll start building biggrin.gif

BTW, thanks for info......you might want to post in thread at DIY forum. Some might like the good news...........I had planned on using those plate amps and wired room accordingly.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:47 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Thanks for the piece of mind Archaea. I don't think it was clipping at 25hz but I never looked at the clip lights at that point. That does make sense though.

I had more charts but I guess that I didn't save them. Here is the ULF clipping like crazy. It might be my sound card, but no matter what I did with the mini dsp, I could not get the ULF to go away unless I changed the HPF to 30hz. This is one of my first sweeps before I changed the settings. I wish I still had the other charts!



I think this measurement was taken at the sub. I had huge dips at certain fq's at the mlp.


No smoothing, Audyssey enabled.





No smoothing........
Dynamic volume, dynamic eq off, Audyssey disabled!
Measurements are taken from each front row seating! Huge difference!




Saving my pennies for Trinnov TEQ-12 which will change things........hopefully, will have unit in June.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 07:58 PM 02-09-2014
^^^ That is a really impressive chart! Where do you have your crossover set to and do you run a HPF or is that straight out of the box response?
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:17 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

^^^ That is a really impressive chart! Where do you have your crossover set to and do you run a HPF or is that straight out of the box response?

Current crossover is set at 80 hz..............in first graph you can see phase issue which I had to play with to correct. My plan is to use multiples crossed over at a higher frequency.........using multiples lessens localization issues. With future Trinnov unit in source chain, I expect big changes.
On second graph, no filters whatsoever............just using DSP set by Jeff. As you can see, there is a huge null at 30 hz at front row due to room which XT32 interprets as sub roll off. Great extension if sub is allowed. For my room which is HUGE, I really need multiples!

One S2 is impressive, but I need more for smoothing across all seating............hence why I'm going in another direction.
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 08:21 PM 02-09-2014
The IRP2 will put out close to the same power in each channel as the sp1-2400 and quite a bit more @ 2 ohms....... IMO, it isn't even a choice....
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:30 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

The IRP2 will put out close to the same power in each channel as the sp1-2400 and quite a bit more @ 2 ohms....... IMO, it isn't even a choice....

Shrugs........

But the convenience to actually use my circuits for subs would have been nice! I have four 20 amp homeruns at each mid-line wall............oh well, instead of XLR cables, just running 10AWG.

But I do agree with you.........the Peavey's do put out the juice! wink.gif
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 08:41 PM 02-09-2014
but you get 4 channels of 2100 watts @ 4 ohms for close to the same price on 1 amp with 2400 watts...... cool.gif
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 09:05 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

but you get 4 channels of 2100 watts @ 4 ohms for close to the same price on 1 amp with 2400 watts...... cool.gif

Yup.......can't argue with that!

Now what to pair them up with.............that is the real question! biggrin.gif
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 09:33 PM 02-09-2014
Ya, too bad about the UM18's.... Although When they come out, I'll bet they are great. I've got faith in Dayton, they make great drivers! I've used them a ton over the years and not once had an issue with any of them.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 10:02 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Ya, too bad about the UM18's.... Although When they come out, I'll bet they are great. I've got faith in Dayton, they make great drivers! I've used them a ton over the years and not once had an issue with any of them.

Well..........if S2 doesn't sell, maybe adding 4 UXL's might do it. Gotta support the Canadian economy! wink.gif
ufokillerz's Avatar ufokillerz 11:28 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Hi All
I have also joined the JTR family.
I ordered the Captivator S2 3 days ago from Jeff.
I was debating between the OS and S2
I finally decided on the S2 because:
- Cap S2 has smaller footprint (OS was a beast, and not sure I needed that much output > 25Hz)
- Cap S2 is better looking than OS
- Cap S2 has dual drivers vs 1 in OS
- Cap S2 has more output < 20Hz
- Cap S2 has a removable grill ( so I can show it off...LOL)

This CAP S2 is replacing a 12 year old Velodyne HGS-18 that recently s**t the bed.

I hope the Cap S2 fits the bill, and proves to be an upgrade from the Velodyne.

I saw the picture of a Cap S2 with cherry veneer on it.
I LOVE THAT. I did not know that was an option.
I would like mine to have that finish. How do I see the other available finishes?
I need to email Jeff and tell him to add that to mine ASAP.

A question about the blue power cord. Does that come with the Cap S2 or purchased separately?

300 bucks for veneer, a steal for something the size of the S2. I had rosenut veneer.

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/jtr-custom-speakers-5012941
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 11:47 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

My sub was delivered late August 2013.

The Speakpower amps are great! Last year the Sp1-2400 could be had for $1200.......a recent call to Speakerpower..........well those same amps are $2500 without DSP! Guess they don't want to deal with DIY crowd or protect their speaker manufacturing customers! Planned all along to use these plate amps in my upcoming project.....guess not.

It's funny that you brought this up today as I just received an email from Brian at SpeakerPower saying that they are selling the amps to the public again. Prices are up on their website and you can order directly from them again. The prices have gone up but not really too much.

I seem to recall when I wanted to order the SP1-4000 it was $1299ea and now they are listed for $1499.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 06:28 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Ya, too bad about the UM18's.... Although When they come out, I'll bet they are great. I've got faith in Dayton, they make great drivers! I've used them a ton over the years and not once had an issue with any of them.

What happened to the UM18's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Well..........if S2 doesn't sell, maybe adding 4 UXL's might do it. Gotta support the Canadian economy! wink.gif

I would love to pick up your S2. Convincing the wife is the issue. I can't justify the purchase to her right now. mad.gif
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 07:09 AM 02-10-2014
The UM-18 release date was delayed from Jan, to Feb, and now to April due to a fault found in the product under stress testing.
staaled's Avatar staaled 08:04 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

No smoothing, Audyssey enabled.





No smoothing........
Dynamic volume, dynamic eq off, Audyssey disabled!
Measurements are taken from each front row seating! Huge difference!




Saving my pennies for Trinnov TEQ-12 which will change things........hopefully, will have unit in June.
FYI,

Trinnov will launch a state of the art processor in september: the Altitude.
Gooddoc's Avatar Gooddoc 08:18 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post

FYI,

Trinnov will launch a state of the art processor in september: the Altitude.

Are they referring to the price?
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:36 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

It's funny that you brought this up today as I just received an email from Brian at SpeakerPower saying that they are selling the amps to the public again. Prices are up on their website and you can order directly from them again. The prices have gone up but not really too much.

I seem to recall when I wanted to order the SP1-4000 it was $1299ea and now they are listed for $1499.

Well, I checked my archives........my email stated $2499 for 2400 and $4495 for 4000! Boy o' boy............a K-Mart "blue light special!"

wink.gif
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:40 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post

FYI,

Trinnov will launch a state of the art processor in september: the Altitude.

Great...........

I budget for the TEQ.......have to upgrade my projector motherboard.......when will the bleeding stop!

Teaser? What is the asking price? Similar to TEQ? Completely digital? You make a statement like that......have to give more!wink.gif
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:53 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

What happened to the UM18's?

I pre-ordered 4 UM-18's in November and received an excellent price with discount of purchasing 4 and with Black Friday discount. Delivery was supposed to be end of January........then moved to middle of February.........now shipment is end of April!! That equates to a six month wait. Wouldn't be surprised if May...........June..........July..........August! I must be surrounded by a black cloud.......even had to wait 3 months for my S2........which was 2 months late.


Add fuel to fire....,dropped out of UXL group buy because figured I'd receive the UM's faster!

Ha! Jokes on me.....
countryWV's Avatar countryWV 09:03 AM 02-10-2014
Subwoofer parts seam to dry up between now and mid summer every year. Watch the subwoofer and DIY threads over the next few months. People will Loose there Minds over Subwoofer driver part delays. rolleyes.gif
Chris
MiniHT's Avatar MiniHT 09:36 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Thanks for the piece of mind Archaea. I don't think it was clipping at 25hz but I never looked at the clip lights at that point. That does make sense though.

I had more charts but I guess that I didn't save them. Here is the ULF clipping like crazy. It might be my sound card, but no matter what I did with the mini dsp, I could not get the ULF to go away unless I changed the HPF to 30hz. This is one of my first sweeps before I changed the settings. I wish I still had the other charts!



I think this measurement was taken at the sub. I had huge dips at certain fq's at the mlp.

Sorry to hear you have the wrong amp installed Pain... just to confirm, my S2 has the 4000 model as well. As others have said, pulling the amp out and putting the new one in is an easy task. Just a tip, as others have said to me when I pulled mine, just get all the screws out but leave the "power" and "XLR" plug both IN.... this will help u get the amp out by LIGHTLY pulling on the plugs if it wont come loose. I even had to take a very small screwdriver to carefully break the seal "gasket". Good luck man, can't wait to see those graphs! cool.gif
staaled's Avatar staaled 10:13 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Are they referring to the price?
15k in Euros.
staaled's Avatar staaled 10:20 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Great...........

I budget for the TEQ.......have to upgrade my projector motherboard.......when will the bleeding stop!

Teaser? What is the asking price? Similar to TEQ? Completely digital? You make a statement like that......have to give more!wink.gif

It will have full digital capabilities and streamer function.

On ISE Amsterdam and a hifi show Alkmaar a prototype was shown.

I had the Amethyst (2 ch preamp,analog & digital inputs& streamer) on an home demo and was very impressed what it can do.
Definitely the best roomcorrection , even speaker correction on phase , at the moment.
Fully adjustable and custom settings. cool.gif
Tags: 215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
First ... 536  537  538 539  540  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop