Official JTR speaker thread - Page 541 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16201 of 23376 Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I've been listening to music for a few hours now. And I really hate the 212s...I'm going to have to dig out all of my CDs from the past 25 years and find HQ mp3s/flacs. They are exposing any badly ripped track, stream, or recording. This is madness.

me stuff: LCR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Surrounds Quad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& Quad Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c, Subs Dual
, AV

for sale/trade:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16202 of 23376 Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

I've been listening to music for a few hours now. And I really hate the 212s...I'm going to have to dig out all of my CDs from the past 25 years and find HQ mp3s/flacs. They are exposing any badly ripped track, stream, or recording. This is madness.

LOL, and man oh man, there are some horrible recordings! I don't find much older music sounds good, some is ok of course but blah. Pretty much any new aged dub or anything like that sounds awesome though!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #16203 of 23376 Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

hey guys been reading bout jtr and his subs and was wanting to get one. my options right now are a svs pb ultra or a capacitor 2400. i like what im reading about both subs. im about 100 % ht guy what would be the better choice?

post #16204 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

hey guys been reading bout jtr and his subs and was wanting to get one. my options right now are a svs pb ultra or a capacitor 2400. i like what im reading about both subs. im about 100 % ht guy what would be the better choice?
Realistically it's not an apples to apples comparison. The PB Ultra is a very nice subwoofer that does exceptionally well considering the Driver is only 13.5 inches. The Cap2400 with its 69lb 18" driver is just that much more capable. The Ultra has a Sledge/ Bash amp while the Cap has a Speakepower 2400wpc amp.
With the differences in the amp and driver the Ultra does not have a chance from the performance aspect. Jeff (JTR) can also sell his products with less profit margin so dollar to dollar the Cap comes out on top again.
There are some on this thread who have owned both so they may add something to the comparison.
Good Luck
Chris
post #16205 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Archaea could answer this really well I bet, but countryWV is correct. I other words, the Captivator 2400 should smash the Ultra.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #16206 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Ok, sorry to go off topic and I am usually not a pessimistic kind of guy...but this might not be good.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/scary-1929-market-chart-gains-traction-2014-02-11?dist=beforebell

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #16207 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Ya, seems like history repeats itself. I hope it goes back up because 2008 until recent has been hard on the economy!

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #16208 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I use to own two of the PB13 Ultras with the previous generation Def Tech speakers. They are really nice subs but the Caps are just that much better. I had Jeff Meier over a couple of weeks ago and he said Jeff is the King of Subs. He said he's never had an issue integrating a JTR in to a system. Said he recommends them all the time. I haven't had a ton of time with my S2 but I can tell you without hesitation, get the JTR.
post #16209 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Ok, sorry to go off topic and I am usually not a pessimistic kind of guy...but this might not be good.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/scary-1929-market-chart-gains-traction-2014-02-11?dist=beforebell
We have not hit rock bottom yet. It will get worse before it gets better. The ones who can do something about it are caught up in Pettiness while the ones who can't (middle class) pay the price.

It is as simple to see as 2+2=4 yet it still goes completely ignored overshadowed by social issues. Rome is burning while we are mesmerized by the flames.
Chris.
post #16210 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 202
QE forever! What could possibly go wrong with boatloads of free government money?

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #16211 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

QE forever! What could possibly go wrong with boatloads of free government money?

As you know, QE is the money faucet...turn it off and the market goes KABOOOM!!!!...it might go KABOOOM all on its own as people realize the market gains over the last 5 years are largely artificial smile.gif

post #16212 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

As you know, QE is the money faucet...turn it off and the market goes KABOOOM!!!!...it might go KABOOOM all on its own as people realize the market gains over the last 5 years are largely artificial smile.gif

Yes, but the sheeple will believe the government and talking heads that it is free markets and businesses that are the cause, and more government control/intervention will ensue. For the good of the sheeple, of course. smile.gif

Having said that, political discourse is generally frowned upon around here since there is always someone with an entirely opposing viewpoint that will get feathers ruffled. biggrin.gif

So I'm going to get back to talking speakers. wink.gif

I saw the Lego Movie last night at the theater. Good sound for a regular non-Imax theater. Now I have to have a talk with my kids about the main villian of the story, the evil Lord Business...rolleyes.gif

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16213 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Hell, I can't even spell QE ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

It's no different than a wall behind me

Right, this is what I'm pointing out.

The reason I mention it, my non-dedicated HT is open to a kitchen space behind the LP, and I can hear a difference when LCR energy reflects off shipping boxes stacked on the normally empty countertop behind my seating.

I like the diffuse, multi-angular surfaces that make up the kitchen, but have learned the significance of returns off some surfaces can be detrimental spatially.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #16214 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Get the 2400. And if possible now, or later, get two to balance out the bass...once you hear/experience how two subs improve the movie watching experience, you'll never be able to live with just one. You will save good money if you buy both at the same time, with any discounts & shipping once.

, Surrounds Quad
, AV

for sale/trade:
post #16215 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 09:36 AM

I reran Audyssey and measured 6 location points, per manual which I finally read last night. I'm guilty of trying to measure only one location, which is the MLP and thinking Audyssey should be able to figure it out and it won't make a difference...but it sounds so much better now to me. Huge improvement. So if you're just measuring like I did for one MLP, give it a try and see how it works for you...it does take longer, but worth it imo. Here's the measuring pattern I used since sr7008 manual didn't give a sequence order and just points for one MLP:
4 5 6
3 1 2
(1 being MLP and I kept about 3 ft displacement between points)

Even though I set the shifters +1 on sub, Audyssey set it to -12dB and I just raised the levels on avr to my liking, which is +1dB.

, Surrounds Quad
, AV

for sale/trade:
post #16216 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

A minimum of 13 dB over reference? If I hadn't spent a lot of time on this thread I would tell you to run Audyssey again since you must have a bad cal run. But I know the bass heads love crazy hot bass, so I'll just say I'm glad you have it where you like it. That is all that matters. biggrin.gif

Edit: I'm curious, have you measured your room post cal?

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16217 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks for all the input guys
post #16218 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:

A minimum of 13 dB over reference? If I hadn't spent a lot of time on this thread I would tell you to run Audyssey again since you must have a bad cal run. But I know the bass heads love crazy hot bass, so I'll just say I'm glad you have it where you like it. That is all that matters. biggrin.gif

I know what you mean. I think after I put in some treatments and bass traps, I may not even have to run it that hot. Also, right now I have both shifters corner loaded, so still playing with placement and seeing what sounds/feels good. The entire house quakes nonetheless...bass out of the shifters is so clean, tight, and powerful, its scary.

PopaArchaeasSocket Austin is planning to come by today, so we're going to try to get some measurements.
popalock likes this.

, Surrounds Quad
, AV

for sale/trade:
post #16219 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

I know what you mean. I think after I put in some treatments and bass traps, I may not even have to run it that hot. Also, right now I have both shifters corner loaded, so still playing with placement and seeing what sounds/feels good. The entire house quakes nonetheless...bass out of the shifters is so clean, tight, and powerful, its scary.

PopaArchaeasSocket Austin is planning to come by today, so we're going to try to get some measurements.

Great plan. A lot of things could be happening with your FR that makes you feel like you need to raise it so high. Corner loading both subs may increase output, but may not give best FR. For instance, in my room I can only get away with corner loading one sub for best response across all seats. But every room is different, so there's no alternative to measurements.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16220 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 299
also, there could be some serious cancellation issues as well. Even I dont run my bass that hot! lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #16221 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Haha...don't worry, I've pulled it back some. I was pushing it for a couple of scenes, but have it at +6dB over ref right now. But I saw WOW scene at prior setting of +12 over Audyssey's reference, and man, I thought house was collapsing.

, Surrounds Quad
, AV

for sale/trade:
post #16222 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, just a few rules I accumulated along the way after many fruitless multiple sub optimization attempts.

A common mistake is to move the subs around trying to get a ruler flat pre-EQ response across your seating. In my experience it will only lead to frustration and at least one "bad" seat when you're done. Instead, the goal should be to optimize the FR for the EQ that will follow. Which means a goal of the same non - flat FR across all seats. The primary objective being eliminating nulls, even if that produces significant peaks. If the peaks are the same across all seats, EQ will smash them flat.

Bottom line is optimize for the EQ which works best on problems that are the same everywhere, and eliminate nulls that EQ can do nothing about.

It took me a fairly long time to figure that out, although when I write it, it seems so obvious. smile.gif
Bunga99 likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16223 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM
a|F

Liked: 14
Earlier, a couple guys mentioned Trinnov and Dirac. Anyone contemplating the new Emotiva pre/pro with Dirac?

http://shop.emotiva.com/products/xmc1

I realize that Trinnov > Audyssey, but how does Dirac compare?
post #16224 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Hey dudes just wanted to give those that check this thread often a heads up. It has come time for me to part ways with my Triple12's, so they are over in the classifieds along with my triple8 center. I will link below after a short explanation.

I basically want to branch out and try some other forms of HT speakers that I have never heard. Namely some DIY horn designs using the coveted ae drivers, and some line source type speakers as well. Never during all my days have I ever heard a speaker better than the JTR's, and if I had the income to be able to keep them I would, but the funds from selling them will go towards wood, parts, drivers etc for the new DIY speakers. If after my journey through some other speakers leave my thirst unquenched, I plan fully to come right back to the JTR Noesis as I see that as a "No-holds-barred" design that will more than likely blow your socks off.

Rest assured that I will still be a huge proponent of the JTR brand and the T12's and T8's as well, it is just in my nature to constantly try new things and leave no stone unturned, I also pride myself in my own speaker designs and once I get these new mains built, my entire theater will be DIY speakers from front to back smile.gif THAT by itself is something I like to hang my hat on!!!! Check em out, and let me know if you guys are interested!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432347/feeler-for-dual-jtr-triple12hts-and-single-triple8ht

Blast from the past, just looking through old threads thought you might get a cackle out of this post.
post #16225 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Haha, my how much money have spent since that little post there biggrin.gif At least I stuck to my plan! Got the line source, then the DIY SEOS12 horn design, and now with the Danley SH50's. It was a fun journey, but I am certainly glad it is over biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey Fro, who is the lucky recipient of my/now your old T12's????

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #16226 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was a fun journey, but I am certainly glad it is over biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Lol, let's save that for another future "blast from the past".

New, better, improved. All terms that I'm sure will result in a near future upgrade smile.gif.
popalock likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16227 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 701
No, let's not....Haha.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #16228 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Lol, let's save that for another future "blast from the past".

New, better, improved. All terms that I'm sure will result in a near future upgrade smile.gif.

Once you have heard SH50s, there is really nowhere left to upgrade to, unless its a more powerful SH/JH design.Beast will testify.

If there is something better out there, please let me know!
post #16229 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 304
^ Will do. smile.gif

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #16230 of 23376 Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, my how much money have spent since that little post there biggrin.gif At least I stuck to my plan! Got the line source, then the DIY SEOS12 horn design, and now with the Danley SH50's. It was a fun journey, but I am certainly glad it is over biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey Fro, who is the lucky recipient of my/now your old T12's????

I sold them to Chris ("Selkec"). Since my new toys are now in da haus, we schedules to meet on Thursdat for the exchange. Like you, this should end my upgrades...for now...ok, we are both lying to ourselves biggrin.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page