post #16291 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

My .02 with a small side of "excuse" for not being able to win Archaea over.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16292 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

You have XT32, right?

If so, run all 8 positions as that just gives Audyssey more data to work with ...

Yes, I purchased the sr7008 specifically for xt32. Definitely will be taking more measurements. Today I'm going to switch the room long ways and will take the full 8 positions.

speakers for sale: Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c ~ bookshelf horn speakers
my speakers: jtr 212ht lcr, 8lp surrounds, dual orbit shifters
post #16293 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Lookin' right on there biggrin.gif minidsp 10x10 i assume?

I'm crossing my fingers that Austin forgets he let me borrow it wink.gif

post #16294 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Have you tried Audyssey's Dynamic EQ? You might like it better than running the subwoofer trim hot. Here's what it does:

If you're listening at full Reference level, it does nothing. You are already playing the content back at the level it was recorded, so a "flat" curve is all that is needed to be accurate to the source. However, as you lower the MVC below full RL, our human hearing deficiencies start to come into play. Our ears become less sensitive to lower frequencies. Dynamic EQ compensates for these human hearing deficiencies by adding some increased output at lower frequencies, and the amount increases the lower in frequency you go. Audyssey doesn't publish the exact curve they use, (it's part of their "secret sauce"), but it is similar to the Fletcher-Munson curves:

Craig

Yes, agree about Dynamic EQ and have been running it since calibrated XT32 properly. I noticed a difference here as well when playing below reference, but honestly, 0dB is lots of fun and anything less is uncivilized with this particular setup wink.gif

On a side note, the reference level offset is something anyone listening to music material may want to keep in mind to try:

post #16295 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 240
The entire point of a nearfield setup is to be throttled with bass..... yes it's a taste thang...rolleyes.gif

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #16296 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

funny because when my speakers were lost in transit, they were in chicago!

They showed up in Troutdale OR today. Just east of portland. So I will see them tommorrow smile.gif
post #16297 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Yes, agree about Dynamic EQ and have been running it since calibrated XT32 properly. I noticed a difference here as well when playing below reference, but honestly, 0dB is lots of fun and anything less is uncivilized with this particular setup wink.gif

On a side note, the reference level offset is something anyone listening to music material may want to keep in mind to try:

Humm, although I have seen the option I have never made adjustments to the RLO. Will be interested in others comments. cool.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #16298 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Have you tried Audyssey's Dynamic EQ? You might like it better than running the subwoofer trim hot. Here's what it does:

If you're listening at full Reference level, it does nothing. You are already playing the content back at the level it was recorded, so a "flat" curve is all that is needed to be accurate to the source. However, as you lower the MVC below full RL, our human hearing deficiencies start to come into play. Our ears become less sensitive to lower frequencies. Dynamic EQ compensates for these human hearing deficiencies by adding some increased output at lower frequencies, and the amount increases the lower in frequency you go. Audyssey doesn't publish the exact curve they use, (it's part of their "secret sauce"), but it is similar to the Fletcher-Munson curves:

Craig
Very interesting! So when tuning your subs, should you tune it with dynamic eq off and then turn it back on after you finish?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #16299 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed by seeing this picture again that the sp1-2400 has a second plug and the sp1-4000 does not. What is this plug for and why does the sp1-4000 not have one?

- Leon Phelps
post #16300 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I know I am not that close but if you find nothing closer and are willing to make the drive, I have a Noesis set-up in Cincinnati you would be welcome to listen to.

Thank you! I might have to visit my alma mater in Oxford in the spring and swing by afterwards. I would certainly appreciate it.
post #16301 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I know a few guys that run off the XLS amps with great success. You'll be good to go. ( 2 x XLS 1500 and 4 x XLS 2500)

Thanks for the input. What amp would power what speakers in the setup you mentioned?
post #16302 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I use my miniDSP to cut my nearfield around 40Hz. It helps cutout annoyances such as voices and other things that sound unnatural coming from behind or under you. When done properly (i.e. - I don't reset my entire f*+@!ng miniDSP right before a GTG) I feel it really adds to the experience.

My .02 with a small side of "excuse" for not being able to win Archaea over.

biggrin.gif

You remind me of me. Always tinkering and can never leave well enough alone. I remember seeing your post of all your omni graphs of all your mini dsp settings the day before we left for DC and I was thinking that was a perfect setup of house curve options. Leave it to a tinkerer to f it all up, hahaha. biggrin.gif

Almost every time I give a demo I'm in the middle of messing with something but I'll forget about the changes I made until after the demo and I'll think damn, the demo could have been better if I had my old settings!!
post #16303 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Troll

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I noticed by seeing this picture again that the sp1-2400 has a second plug and the sp1-4000 does not. What is this plug for and why does the sp1-4000 not have one?
daisy chaining power, i'm guessing that a set of 2400s can be powered by 1 cord to the wall, but a set of 4000s cannot be, thats why jeff blocks it off.
post #16304 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Humm, although I have seen the option I have never made adjustments to the RLO. Will be interested in others comments. cool.gif

FWIW @RMK!, I'm a fervant adjuster of Audyssey RLO depending on content. I've settled on a "default" setting of 10dB for casual TV watching (plus Dyn Vol = Light ) and music listening sessions - mostly well recorded (I think?) multichannel DVD's and DTS CD's. On some material that I percieve a being recorded "hot" with a compressed dynamic range (eg. my son's collection of Skrillex downloads), I'll drop it to 15dB. Movies are, without exception at 0dB.

I have a smallish but growing collection of concert Blu-rays and I'm never sure of what's the most appropriate RLO to watch these at. Are concerts mastered at "cinema reference", in which case 0dB would be correct? Or are they mastered like music, which can be all over the map? By their nature, they have to be captured with a wide dynamic range to avoid any chance of clipping the inputs, but is compression applied during the mastering? I don't know. Generally, I've settled on 5dB for the concerts just as personal preference, but as I'm relatively new to this hobby I start to question the basis for that preference, if you get my drift. All a bit OCD I know!

So I too would be interested to know what others insights are and preferences for RLO, particularly for concert Blu-rays/DVD's.
post #16305 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyK View Post

Thanks for the input. What amp would power what speakers in the setup you mentioned?

2 have 1500's powering Triple 8's and 2 have Noesis's with the 2500's. You'd have PLENTY of power running any JTR speaker off the xls 1500. More than enough.

post #16306 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

FWIW @RMK!, I'm a fervant adjuster of Audyssey RLO depending on content. I've settled on a "default" setting of 10dB for casual TV watching (plus Dyn Vol = Light ) and music listening sessions - mostly well recorded (I think?) multichannel DVD's and DTS CD's. On some material that I percieve a being recorded "hot" with a compressed dynamic range (eg. my son's collection of Skrillex downloads), I'll drop it to 15dB. Movies are, without exception at 0dB.

I have a smallish but growing collection of concert Blu-rays and I'm never sure of what's the most appropriate RLO to watch these at. Are concerts mastered at "cinema reference", in which case 0dB would be correct? Or are they mastered like music, which can be all over the map? By their nature, they have to be captured with a wide dynamic range to avoid any chance of clipping the inputs, but is compression applied during the mastering? I don't know. Generally, I've settled on 5dB for the concerts just as personal preference, but as I'm relatively new to this hobby I start to question the basis for that preference, if you get my drift. All a bit OCD I know!

So I too would be interested to know what others insights are and preferences for RLO, particularly for concert Blu-rays/DVD's.

I generally turn it off. A feature that needs that much attention is not worth it to me. I do occasionally use it for movies with the family, but that's it. Applying it to anything but soundtracks is well beyond my tolerance level.
N8DOGG likes this.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #16307 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

^ I agree with Craig, I leave DynamicEQ on for all HT use.

Just wondering, do you find that dynamic EQ makes the peaks too loud?

I'm a BIG fan of dynamic EQ for music. However, for movies I find the loud parts far too loud for my liking. I understand that dynamics are needed so things like gunshots can be much louder to make it sound more real, and I like my gunshots and explosions loud. But, I find it with dynamic EQ, the things that shouldn't be loud, like background music during an action scene, to be too loud to be "natural", and it makes me turn down the volume, but then I can't hear dialogues properly anymore. With dynamic EQ off, things are just right for me: Loud things like explosions are still loud, soft sounds are soft, and normal stuff sounds normal.
post #16308 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

I'm a BIG fan of dynamic EQ for music. However, for movies I find the loud parts far too loud for my liking. I understand that dynamics are needed so things like gunshots can be much louder to make it sound more real, and I like my gunshots and explosions loud. But, I find it with dynamic EQ, the things that shouldn't be loud, like background music during an action scene, to be too loud to be "natural", and it makes me turn down the volume, but then I can't hear dialogues properly anymore. With dynamic EQ off, things are just right for me: Loud things like explosions are still loud, soft sounds are soft, and normal stuff sounds normal.

Have you tried adjusting the Dyn EQ Ref Level offset?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #16309 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Have you tried adjusting the Dyn EQ Ref Level offset?

Yes, but I'm not quite sure what it does to peaks. I've compared it with music, and the biggest difference (by far) is the bass. 0dB has the most bass, and slightly more treble than -15dB. I've never A/B'ing it with a movie though. I'm not even sure what the offsets do. What difference should there be when comparing 0dB and -15dB?
post #16310 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Many have reported DEQ boosting the surround speakers too much
post #16311 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Quote:

I generally turn it off. A feature that needs that much attention is not worth it to me. I do occasionally use it for movies with the family, but that's it. Applying it to anything but soundtracks is well beyond my tolerance level.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, do you mean you generally turn off Dynamic EQ?
post #16312 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Many have reported DEQ boosting the surround speakers too much

IMO it boosts them way to much. I drop my surrounds 3 dB if I have DEQ on. Otherwise they over power.

post #16313 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

So in thinking about my center channel I will be ordering soon...I was going to go the Triple 8 LP since It would be lower profile below my tv and on top of my tv stand. But I could raise the brackets on my tv mount to make way for an HT enclosure and at that point just get the 228 Noesis. So it comes down to how much better is the 228 over the T8...My tv is at the perfect height of my liking (already on the higher side). But it would just require 2.25 inches more to fit the HT enclosure under the TV which is entirely necessary or else it would hang off the front of the TV stand. I know I remember Archaea mentioning once he thought the T8 was just a little harsher at loud volumes. But I can't remember any other on the top of my head. Any of you have AB Triple 8 and 228 comparisons?
post #16314 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 140
How low does f.Irene scene go in BHD? I played the scene atleast six times before tripping the breakers. I watched my subs during that scene and man my drivers go through a work out. In that scene it's more structural shakes. And I can feel like wind blowing through the hairs on my legs.. Lol. Don't know how to describe it. Hmm, and I don't know how much dbs my subs were hitting. But my MV was at -4 with a very mild HC on the subs. Still can't believe I trip the breakers. Well 3 subs out of the 4 each on dedicated 20 amp circuit.
post #16315 of 21247 Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

How low does f.Irene scene go in BHD? I played the scene atleast six times before tripping the breakers. I watched my subs during that scene and man my drivers go through a work out. In that scene it's more structural shakes. And I can feel like wind blowing through the hairs on my legs.. Lol. Don't know how to describe it. Hmm, and I don't know how much dbs my subs were hitting. But my MV was at -4 with a very mild HC on the subs. Still can't believe I trip the breakers. Well 3 subs out of the 4 on dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Ok, I got my answer in the sub section. I guess that scene goes down to 5 hz. All the rave about the F.Irene scene, I just had to try it out just to see what happens.. Lol.. Geeez! And I checked the HC settings in the Antimode 2.0. To my surprise the HC was disabled..
post #16316 of 21247 Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, do you mean you generally turn off Dynamic EQ?

Yes. It's effect is just too variable for me and the benefit to my ears is not worth fiddling constantly with the RLO. I also find that most times I just don't like what it does to the surrounds. It rarely ever gets the balance "just right" to my ears. I typically only use it to take advantage of the bass boost at lower volumes when I'm not listening critically.

But it's just another preference thing. I know a lot of folks love it. Just not for me.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16317 of 21247 Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

So in thinking about my center channel I will be ordering soon...I was going to go the Triple 8 LP since It would be lower profile below my tv and on top of my tv stand. But I could raise the brackets on my tv mount to make way for an HT enclosure and at that point just get the 228 Noesis. So it comes down to how much better is the 228 over the T8...My tv is at the perfect height of my liking (already on the higher side). But it would just require 2.25 inches more to fit the HT enclosure under the TV which is entirely necessary or else it would hang off the front of the TV stand. I know I remember Archaea mentioning once he thought the T8 was just a little harsher at loud volumes. But I can't remember any other on the top of my head. Any of you have AB Triple 8 and 228 comparisons?
If the T8 is sounding harsh it is either being driven past reference level or improper set-up with No EQ (like XT32) applied. If someone says they feel it sounds harsh it will be for one of those two reasons. If you plan on driving them past reference then they can come off harsh just like the S8. I would ask Jeff then make my decision. smile.gif
Since you spent the money on the T8 upgrades matching them should be the best option. T8HT and T8LP match.
Chris
post #16318 of 21247 Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

For me, the difference between the T8 and 228 was very subtle, and this was comparing 2010 T8's with the older compression driver and crossover. I think the main benefit of the 228 over the T8 may be the controlled directivity.
post #16319 of 21247 Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I got my answer in the sub section. I guess that scene goes down to 5 hz. All the rave about the F.Irene scene, I just had to try it out just to see what happens.. Lol.. Geeez! And I checked the HC settings in the Antimode 2.0. To my surprise the HC was disabled..

You have each S2 on its own 20 amp breaker?

Now I have to check that scene out on my system...smile.gif

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16320 of 21247 Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is HC?

- Leon Phelps
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page