AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkec View Post

do you have hiss also?

Hey Chris, hope the new speakers are working out well. I took a little extended weekend with the wife and kids down south and thought I would check in since I haven't talked to you since last week. Hope everything is to your liking.
post #16473 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

TBD ... smile.gif

I think you'll have enough potential bass output. cool.gif Whether those bass sources are in the best place to optimize that output is the only TBD that I see. Also, maximizing that bass output will require substantial amplifier power at those near 20 Hz frequencies. What amp are you planning to power those monsters? Has Jeff indicated the anticipated power handling capability yet?

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #16474 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Hey Chris, hope the new speakers are working out well. I took a little extended weekend with the wife and kids down south and thought I would check in since I haven't talked to you since last week. Hope everything is to your liking.

Yep! Such a big step up in dynamics and clarity over my polk Rtia9s I had. And the sound stage is huge with these. I don't even have surrounds at the moment but still enjoying the new sound.
Thanks again

Processing- Sherbourn 7020C4
Amps- Sherbourn PA7-350, two Behringer EP4000s
Speakers- JTR Triple 12s for mains, triple 8 center, Volt 8 surrounds
Subs- 4 mach 5 audio IXL 18s
PJ- Panasonic pt-ae4000
112" fixed screen
post #16475 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post

I've alrca's decided (could be persuaded) that I want an Audyssey MultEQ XT32 + SubEQ HT.  And have been looking at the Denon X4000 or 4520CI for use as a preamp only.  If I'm only planning on using the Denon as a preamp, is there any apprecible difference between the two models I listed that would significantly impact my listening/viewing experience?  Are there other models that have the Audyssey type listed above that would provide a better fit?

In regards to the power amp, I'm leaning towards getting an Emotiva XPA-3 for the front ensemble of speakers and an Emotiva UPA-700 for the remaining surround speakers

I think you've had a lot of good advice from everyone. Just to add some, if I were buying a processor and amps from scratch I would buy a prepro with XLR's. There are certainly varying opinions on this, but I hear far more complaints about hiss with rca's than balanced connections.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16476 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I think you'll have enough potential bass output. cool.gif Whether those bass sources are in the best place to optimize that output is the only TBD that I see. Also, maximizing that bass output will require substantial amplifier power at those near 20 Hz frequencies. What amp are you planning to power those monsters? Has Jeff indicated the anticipated power handling capability yet?

There are several potential problems (like those you identified ^). I'm going to try using the Wyred amp and see how is goes (or doesn't). I'm not looking for 125db (good thing tongue.gif). but I am used to a certain level of performance. Will course adjust as necessary. smile.gif

Jeff is on the third version of the 215T woofer. He keeps tweaking the design and that is good but may push the GTG deadline...
post #16477 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:

I think you've had a lot of good advice from everyone. Just to add some, if I were buying a processor and amps from scratch I would buy a prepro with XLR's. There are certainly varying opinions on this, but I hear far more complaints about hiss with rca's than balanced connections.

Isn't it true though that a lot of the pre/pro's with XLR's aren't even a true balanced connector inside of the AVR?
For example I thought someone had said that a Marantz AV7701 and AV8801 don't have true balanced XLR's.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #16478 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I was considering the Emotiva Preamp (XMC-1 I think?) because it had balanced signal terminals for each channel.  However, after reading disappointing things about the Emotiva Preamps and also reading something stating that the difference between an unbalanced and balanced signal will be marginal at best.

The only other preamp that I looked at was the Marantz AV8801.  However this is more than I would like to spend on a preamp.
post #16479 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Even though the 4520 and the x4000 both have audyssey xt32, I heard that the 4520's xt32 is better for some reason?? I read that hear on this site. If you ever want to go 11 channels, get the 4520. I have it with both of the amps listed but not the JTR speakers you want to get. I agree with the others about the cap 2400 over the cap1000. I went the diy route before as well and now I went back to a JTR S2. DIY is most bang for your buck IF you already have the tools and skills to do it.

I don't think my room dimensions would support front wide speakers.  I do think that front heights would be possible.  Therefore I have limited my channel selection to 

Are the internal components on the 4520 a significant upgrade from the X4000?  DAC, amps, etc.  if they are worth (I know a relative term) the money then I would consider it.

post #16480 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:

I like your audio choices and might also push you toward the Cap 2400. Wanting more from the subwoofer system drives many upgrades and with a pair of 2400's, you will have more great bass than anyone needs.

You mentioned nothing about the video side and I would suggest that for a movie priority, dedicated space a front projection system with an acoustically transparent screen is a must have. Add some good powered HT seats and you are all set for what will be the best movie experience(s) of your life ... cool.gif

Good luck and be sure and post pictures of the room/install.

The AT screen is recommended due to aligning the tweeter of the center channel with ear height?  Any recommendations on screen manufacturers?  (Sorry to drag video discussion in a speaker thread).  I was looking at the Elite Screen EZFRAME AT screen material.  Does this manufacturer have a good reputation?

In terms of video projection, I have decided to purchase the Epson 5030 (can always be persuaded as I haven't purchased yet).  However, the lumen level, throw range and general quality all align with this projector IMO.  Anyone have experience with this projector?

Thanks to all who responded!

post #16481 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

The AT screen is recommended due to aligning the tweeter of the center channel with ear height?  Any recommendations on screen manufacturers?  (Sorry to drag video discussion in a speaker thread).  I was looking at the Elite Screen EZFRAME AT screen material.  Does this manufacturer have a good reputation?

In terms of video projection, I have decided to purchase the Epson 5030 (can always be persuaded as I haven't purchased yet).  However, the lumen level, throw range and general quality all align with this projector IMO.  Anyone have experience with this projector?

I had several screens from Elite including the EZ frame AT and I really like the Seymour XD AT better. Every screen I got from Elite always had some visible defect and although they were very small once you notice or find it you can't "un" find it. My XD screen is perfect. Just my experience and I am sure others may have had different.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #16482 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

I don't think my room dimensions would support front wide speakers.  I do think that front heights would be possible.  Therefore I have limited my channel selection to 

Are the internal components on the 4520 a significant upgrade from the X4000?  DAC, amps, etc.  if they are worth (I know a relative term) the money then I would consider it.

I am not sure and I am just repeating what I have read on the 4520 thread. From what I have seen people post is that the 4520 has the same internals as the Marantz. I did see somebody post about the xt32 being better but never followed up on that. I do not know how or why but that is what they said. Maybe I can go find it. Also, remember this is other people making these claims and not me.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #16483 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

I had several screens from Elite including the EZ frame AT and I really like the Seymour XD AT better. Every screen I got from Elite always had some visible defect and although they were very small once you notice or find it you can't "un" find it. My XD screen is perfect. Just my experience and I am sure others may have had different.

I have the Seymour XD as well and it is a wonderful screen!

- Leon Phelps
post #16484 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is what I have found so far. I still have not found the xt32 stuff

Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Wow, the X4000 sounds amazing! Is there any reason to fork over the extra coin for the 4520CI now??

While the X4000 appears to be a "baby 4520" with most of the important features, there are still some things the 4520 has that may entice people to step up to the flagship model:

1. The 4520 is larger and heavier, with a superior amp section rated to drive 4-ohm speakers.
2. The 4520 has better build quality; it's built in Japan (not China) and has higher quality speaker binding posts for example
3. The 4520 has 9 amps built in, and can expand to 11 channels (instead of 7/9 on the X4000)
4. The 4520 has 4 zones instead of 3; the HDMI Zone output is dedicated to Zone 4, leaving Zones 2/3 independent. On the X4000, the HDMI Zone output shares Zone 2.
5. The 4520 can output component video to Zones 2 and 3, meaning it's possible to distribute HD video to all 4 zones.
6. The 4520 has full 32-bit processing architecture, including 32-bit DAC's and AL32 processing (vs. the 24-bit analogues on the X4000).
7. The 4520 has more legacy (analog) input/output connectivity, including 7.1 multichannel analog inputs, and an extra component video input and output.
8. The 4520 has a built-in 4-port ethernet hub
9. The 4520 has an incredibly flexible Amp Assign configuration, including a "Custom" free assign mode which allows any reassignment of 6 out of the 9 amps. The X4000 has the standard Amp Assign template where only 2 out of the 7 amps are reassignable according to predetermined options.

That said, for most users, the X4000 will be a smarter choice and is really an amazing value, especially considering the critical additions of XT32/SubEQ calibration and the digital multizone options.

- Leon Phelps
post #16485 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want a DIY screen that you make yourself you'll want to go to SeymourAV and buy the XD screen material from them. If you want a really nice manufactured screen I really recommend the new screens from Falcon Screens. The company is about a year old, forum member Rich aka snickers1 started to manufacture his own screens and IMO they are awesome.

I had a large 2'x2' sample of the XD screen material from SeymourAV and I could see the weave pattern of the screen at around 9-10ft from the screen, and I wasn't crazy about that. With the Falcon screen material I need to be about 5-6ft away before I can't notice the weave anymore, so that's a big improvement IMO. And to top it off the Falcon screen was almost $300 less then the same size SeymourAV so that was a nice bonus.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #16486 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are several potential problems (like those you identified ^). I'm going to try using the Wyred amp and see how is goes (or doesn't). I'm not looking for 125db (good thing tongue.gif). but I am used to a certain level of performance. Will course adjust as necessary. smile.gif

Jeff is on the third version of the 215T woofer. He keeps tweaking the design and that is good but may push the GTG deadline...

I am sure it will be an awesome speaker, Jeff doesn't know how to do less than that. Wishing you the best with the least biggrin.gif.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16487 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Isn't it true though that a lot of the pre/pro's with XLR's aren't even a true balanced connector inside of the AVR?
For example I thought someone had said that a Marantz AV7701 and AV8801 don't have true balanced XLR's.

Quote:

I was considering the Emotiva Preamp (XMC-1 I think?) because it had balanced signal terminals for each channel. However, after reading disappointing things about the Emotiva Preamps and also reading something stating that the difference between an unbalanced and balanced signal will be marginal at best.

The only other preamp that I looked at was the Marantz AV8801. However this is more than I would like to spend on a preamp.

True balanced is not necessary for noise rejection AFAIK. The audio SQ difference may be marginal between balanced and unbalanced, but that is not the reason I suggest balanced. It's for the simple fact that the problems with hiss almost always involve AVR unbalanced RCA pre-outs. There are exceptions, of course, but in all the time I've been hanging around these forums I've seen a very distinct pattern to this problem. Hiss and noise sucks, bigtime.

Emotiva scares me too, but I am definitely keeping a keen eye on that new processor. If they can do something they've never done before - release a relatively bug free processor - it will be a financial game changer in the world of separates.
countryWV likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16488 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

Another Seymour XD screen owner and I had a couple of Elites early on but never their AT models. I just installed my second larger Seymour today. Don't underestimate the value of the sound coming from the screen. It makes a big difference in the movie experience and was one of the better upgrade decisions I made in the HT.

I've had several projectors and my current Sony HW50ES is the best of the lot. Not a 4K unit but I'm not to concerned about that. My previous PJ was the top of the line JVC and again, I prefer the Sony by a good margin. That said I'm sure the Epson has a great picture too. smile.gif
post #16489 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Possibly. My thought process has been that you can't assume the connection is balanced just because it says/shows "XLR". The product/spec sheet must actually say "balanced".

Quote:
The Marantz product sheets certainly claim the XLR pre-outs are balanced (see "Connectivity, Flexibility
& Expandability") and give rated outputs for both balanced and unbalanced pre-outs. It wouldn't be the first time an AV manufacturer guilded the lily though. cool.gif

http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/mz_av7701_u_eng_bg001.pdf

http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/mz_av8801_u_eng_bg001.pdf

Are they being tricky with a some sort of difference between "balanced" and "fully balanced"? I dunno, just slightly suspicious.
post #16490 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True balanced is not necessary for noise rejection AFAIK. The audio SQ difference may be marginal between balanced and unbalanced, but that is not the reason I suggest balanced. It's for the simple fact that the problems with hiss almost always involve AVR unbalanced RCA pre-outs. There are exceptions, of course, but in all the time I've been hanging around these forums I've seen a very distinct pattern to this problem. Hiss and noise sucks, bigtime.

Emotiva scares me too, but I am definitely keeping a keen eye on that new processor. If they can do something they've never done before - release a relatively bug free processor - it will be a financial game changer in the world of separates.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I have had just the opposite thoughts though from what I've read about AVR's with XLR's. From everything that I've read unless you have long runs (like 50ft) there's no performance advantage over RCA's.

I wish there was someone around with that had a receiver with XLR connections to test out with my PA 7-350 to see if there was a difference.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #16491 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:

I definitely see what you're saying. It would be a real disappointment to put all the work into the setup and turn on the hiss.

Would you please provide a similarly priced (could be a bit more) that would have the XT32 with subeq and balanced terminals preamp? I'm unsure of all the manufacturers that have audyssey.

Thanks!
post #16492 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another Seymour XD screen owner and I had a couple of Elites early on but never their AT models. I just installed my second larger Seymour today. Don't underestimate the value of the sound coming from the screen. It makes a big difference in the movie experience and was one of the better upgrade decisions I made in the HT.
smile.gif

Once again I totally agree with you on this, after I switched to an AT screen I don't think I could ever go back. It just adds a totally new level of the true "home theater" feel to our setup. Even my wife has mentioned how much she likes it and typically she doesn't give a funk about most of the stuff I do to our theater.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #16493 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I have had just the opposite thoughts though from what I've read about AVR's with XLR's. From everything that I've read unless you have long runs (like 50ft) there's no performance advantage over RCA's.

I wish there was someone around with that had a receiver with XLR connections to test out with my PA 7-350 to see if there was a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Parts express has 15's and 20's. If you have any buddies with other amps, you should try one out and see if it's stops. Some guys have emotive and no hiss at all and that makes me believe that theres more to it than just the amps gain. Once I went from RCA's on my Denon 4311 (bad hiss) to my current integra 80.3 XLR, I have no audible hiss at all.

I have read dozens of these accounts over the years. I've not done a scientific study on it or anything like that, but I just don't read many accounts of issues with hiss or noise with balanced connections like I do with unbalanced. In fact, there are so many unbalanced complaints that I can't even remember the last time I read of someone with balanced connections having the issue. I'm sure they're out there, and perhaps I've read about someone having the issue, but I honestly can't remember it.

So yes, I've read those same things as you about no advantage, yet it seems that the vast majority of posts I've read regarding audible noise contradicts that. That's not any sort of expert opinion on the matter, but just my experience.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16494 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have read dozens of these accounts over the years. I've not done a scientific study on it or anything like that, but I just don't read many accounts of issues with hiss or noise with balanced connections like I do with unbalanced. In fact, there are so many unbalanced complaints that I can't even remember the last time I read of someone with balanced connections having the issue. I'm sure they're out there, and perhaps I've read about someone having the issue, but I honestly can't remember it.

So yes, I've read those same things as you about no advantage, yet it seems that the vast majority of posts I've read regarding audible noise contradicts that. That's not any sort of expert opinion on the matter, but just my experience.

I guess what it comes down too, is that I really need to find a way to test a AVR with balanced XLR connections on it in my setup!..lol smile.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #16495 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I definitely see what you're saying. It would be a real disappointment to put all the work into the setup and turn on the hiss.

Would you please provide a similarly priced (could be a bit more) that would have the XT32 with subeq and balanced terminals preamp? I'm unsure of all the manufacturers that have audyssey.

Thanks!

Wish I could do that biggrin.gif. You're going to pay more for balanced and the top iteration of Audyssey. The Marantz AV7701 is a balanced prepro that is a very good value, except it has XT. But pair it with an antimode 2.0 http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml to cover your bass and I think it would be every bit as good - if not better - than Audyssey subEQ. I think the big benefit with Audyssey is in it's bass EQ and far less in the upper frequencies, particularly with controlled directivity designs and compression drivers, such as JTR speakers.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16496 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess what it comes down too, is that I really need to find a way to test a AVR with balanced XLR connections on it in my setup!..lol smile.gif

Yea, me too biggrin.gif

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16497 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Wish I could do that biggrin.gif. You're going to pay more for balanced and the top iteration of Audyssey. The Marantz AV7701 is a balanced prepro that is a very good value, except it has XT. But pair it with an antimode 2.0 http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml to cover your bass and I think it would be every bit as good - if not better - than Audyssey subEQ. I think the big benefit with Audyssey is in it's bass EQ and far less in the upper frequencies, particularly with controlled directivity designs and compression drivers, such as JTR speakers.

What's the current feeling on Onkyo? It looks like the PR-SC5509 has XT32 with balanced outputs.
post #16498 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

What's the current feeling on Onkyo? It looks like the PR-SC5509 has XT32 with balanced outputs.

They are excellent units, my integra 80.3 is the 5508 version and It's a fantastic unit.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #16499 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 428
80.3 is 5509 version I thought. 80.2 was 5508 equivalent right?

The difference between the 5508/5509 and 80.2 and 80.3 is pretty darn negligible. I think there is a better video upscaler in the newer unit and that's about it. I personally like the gui and actual physical cabinet of the 5508 better than the 5509 (there was a significant change in both between the years) --- but I'm not sure about the Integra GUI -- if it changed or not over those two models.

I have a Onkyo 5508 and it'll be a bit cheaper than the 5509 probably --- yet have effectively the exact same feature set for most users. I don't use upscaling video anyway - I always chose through or source so the bluray player is just putting out the picture and the AVR or pre-amp is hands off.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #16500 of 21241 Old 02-18-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Post 15435

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15420#post_24288514

I'm an avsforum member with the "grass is always greener..." syndrome.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page