Official JTR speaker thread - Page 563 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16861 of 30542 Old 02-28-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Although I only have a very slight buzz still that you literally need to be within 4ft to hear with nothing playing I'm still trying to get rid of it. So last night I switched out my RCA to RCA's going from my receiver to my Sherbourn amp over to RCA to XLR cables. The buzz was reduced even more, now you need to be within 2ft to hear it. Next week a buddy is going to bring over his Sherbourn receiver that has XLR output so I'll use XLR to XLR cables to the amp to see if this completely gets rid of the buzz.

If it does I see a new receiver in the very near future smile.gif

Most people don't know this but the leading cause of ground loop hum and other unwanted noise are AT screens tongue.gif
Frohlich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16862 of 30542 Old 02-28-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,021
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Most people don't know this but the leading cause of ground loop hum and other unwanted noise are AT screens tongue.gif

LOL.... oh is that what it is, in that case you definitely don't want the awesome feeling of the sound rushing threw the screen at you. Stay well away for an AT screen then!..lol biggrin.gif

Oh Rich has the masking panels coming out for his Falcon screens in the next week or two, looks like they're going to be almost a $100 less then what SeymourAV has too.... just sayin tongue.gif
jbrown15 is online now  
post #16863 of 30542 Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Awesome. I was just busting chops, if you're happy with the AVR then maybe you don't need an amp.

On a serious note though, I ran across a maintenance manual for your AVR in case you decide to keep it long term http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Gerbils biggrin.gif

I wouldn't expect anything less wink.gif I am thrilled with the sr7008...my ONLY logical reason to get the 8801 would be for the 4 ohm rating on the 212...even though marantz did confirm the sr7008 supports 4 ohms...ok, 2 logical reasons...I've always been partial to having separates if possible to keep power and processing away from each other, and the overall theoretical approach of minimizing interferences in these area. I'm not afraid to admit I'm guilty of wanting bigger toys in the HT/music department...been waiting for 20 years, so why not, right? cool.gif

Thanks for the manual!

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
asoofi1 is online now  
post #16864 of 30542 Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,199
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 735
You're welcome! smile.gif

I hear ya. I've got a long list of reasons I want my amp. The list for needing one is rather empty.biggrin.gif
asoofi1 likes this.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #16865 of 30542 Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Thought I'd share...Amazon is having a sale on lots of blu-rays for $5-$10, with lots of popular ones around $7. Just picked up a bunch, including even a Led Zepplin concert: List of Titles

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
asoofi1 is online now  
post #16866 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,789
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

You're welcome! smile.gif

I hear ya. I've got a long list of reasons I want my amp. The list for needing one is rather empty.biggrin.gif

i was able to convince myself that the LG was in the need category to drive the 215RT's. It was uncomfortable thinking that I might not hear all they have to offer due to power. If it works out, I will probably sell the W4S and bring in something else for the surrounds.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #16867 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,199
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

i was able to convince myself that the LG was in the need category to drive the 215RT's. It was uncomfortable thinking that I might not hear all they have to offer due to power. If it works out, I will probably sell the W4S and bring in something else for the surrounds.

No doubt. The 215's are clearly in the need category as far as I'm concerned. No need to to lean on theoretical headroom arguments with those. biggrin.gif

But I have ever so briefly considered the 215's, so in that case I would need my amp. So Archea, on second thought I won't be needing that switcher. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
Gooddoc is offline  
post #16868 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,021
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

i was able to convince myself that the LG was in the need category to drive the 215RT's. It was uncomfortable thinking that I might not hear all they have to offer due to power. If it works out, I will probably sell the W4S and bring in something else for the surrounds.

Are the LG's as loud as the clone amps as far as fan noise goes?
jbrown15 is online now  
post #16869 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Member
 
Gunner969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Interesting discussion about height speakers. I haven't tried the heights yet, but I did find that adding wides was simply amazing! I use audyssey DSX and it's like sitting in a bubble of sound. Pacific Rim is by far the best sounding bluray I've watched. By far.

It could be that in my narrow 13' room, the wides make a bigger impact.

Of course, source material is important. I'd be interested to know what impact the heights make to pacific rim.
Gunner969 is offline  
post #16870 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Member
 
Gunner969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For what it's worth, I like audyssey dsx better than neo x.
Gunner969 is offline  
post #16871 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,272
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Are the LG's as loud as the clone amps as far as fan noise goes?

Yes they are. I think RMK made the right choice to go with the best right from the get go. Same reason I got my crest 7.5. Jeff said these need some power to rock.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #16872 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,199
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Are the LG's as loud as the clone amps as far as fan noise goes?

A better question would be, "Are the LG's as loud as a Hoover as far as fan noise goes?" biggrin.gif
Gooddoc is offline  
post #16873 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Member
 
MiniHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The sticks, New Jersey
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Thought I'd share...Amazon is having a sale on lots of blu-rays for $5-$10, with lots of popular ones around $7. Just picked up a bunch, including even a Led Zepplin concert: List of Titles

Thanks for the heads up man.. I've been wanting to pick up some concert blu's but always end up buying movies. I'm ashamed to say that I've NEVER listened to a SINGLE song on the JTR's unless it's in a movie..
MiniHT is offline  
post #16874 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Rob told me he hooked up his new LG to his alarm clock until his 215s arrive. Told me it woke him up this morning like nobodies business and he actually "did his business" by accident because it was so loud. The alarm clock speaker came dislodged from the clock and shot through the window.
Frohlich is offline  
post #16875 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,199
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Rob told me he hooked up his new LG to his alarm clock until his 215s arrive. Told me it woke him up this morning like nobodies business and he actually "did his business" by accident because it was so loud. The alarm clock speaker came dislodged from the clock and shot through the window.

Lol. There is nothing consumer about these amps. They are designed to be "behind the stage" with maximum longevity and reliability. What it lacks in heat sinks it makes up for in air flow. I'll never get rid of this amp.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #16876 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,789
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Lol. There is nothing consumer about these amps. They are designed to be "behind the stage" with maximum longevity and reliability. What it lacks in heat sinks it makes up for in air flow. I'll never get rid of this amp.

Yeah, this amp will probably out live me. As to the noise, I have a separate equipment closet so I'm not worried about noise. However in the current config (powering the alarm clock) on the nightstand, it is very annoying.
Gooddoc likes this.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #16877 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My main amp is ATI 3007 300w x7 powering 3 triple 12s & 4 slant 8s,the 2 height slanted 8s are powered by a pro amp, its been great so far but these kind of amps are so heavy-120+ lbs next time I need one Im going with pro or wired 4 sound kind.
dholmes54 is offline  
post #16878 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 794
A little off topic here, but I know some of you guys have went with an AT screen. As some know I am trying to have a theater built, but it has not been easy getting someone to do the build. I now finally have a quality builder and the ball is finally rolling and hopefully next week I may have some progress.

My question is, I have decided to go with an AT build with a front stage. I was originally going with no stage with a fixed screen, but have decided to go AT with a small speaker room behind the screen and simple stage. I might as well just do it while I am doing the build because I will just wish I had one 2 months down the road. If I do go for it, I will have about 9' to 10' viewing from my chairs, will this be to close?? 10' will be about the best I can do and I am worried it may be a bit close. Anyone sitting that close??? Will the projector work that close?? Yeah, noob theater questions, but I know most of you guys are all set up already. I appreciate the feedback.

Reef>
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #16879 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

A little off topic here, but I know some of you guys have went with an AT screen. As some know I am trying to have a theater built, but it has not been easy getting someone to do the build. I now finally have a quality builder and the ball is finally rolling and hopefully next week I may have some progress.

My question is, I have decided to go with an AT build with a front stage. I was originally going with no stage with a fixed screen, but have decided to go AT with a small speaker room behind the screen and simple stage. I might as well just do it while I am doing the build because I will just wish I had one 2 months down the road. If I do go for it, I will have about 9' to 10' viewing from my chairs, will this be to close?? 10' will be about the best I can do and I am worried it may be a bit close. Anyone sitting that close??? Will the projector work that close?? Yeah, noob theater questions, but I know most of you guys are all set up already. I appreciate the feedback.

Reef>
What's the width and aspect ratio of your screen?
dlbeck is online now  
post #16880 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 18
JTROSmeasurements.pdf 937k .pdf file
Hello All, after selling my Submersive HP I ordered an OS in December and received it a couple of weeks ago, I have it located in the center of the wall underneath my big screen, I have a Marantz AV8801 so I ran some measurements old school style via a RS analog SPL meter, a test tone CD that i had burned in 2008 and recorded to an excel subwoofer spread sheet that Ed Mullen emailed back then when I had dual PB13 ultras. I purchased a new laptop at Christmas so i will download some software and purchase a mic maybe next month but that's a whole other subject. My main question is that the difference that Audyssey XT32 made was substantial. I have attached the graphs via a pdf file that I scanned to my computer, after seeing and most of all hearing the difference it made I am a believer,problem is I may sell my AV8801 Marantz to possibly purchase a Krell foundation pre/pro as the reviews are phenomenal and I may want to try it out, it doesn't have Audyssey however so I am looking for opinions as to what I can purchase that hopefully would make as big a difference as the XT32 has, I have read good things about minidsp and the anti-mode 8033 but again if I go the Krell route I would want something to help the bass hopefully similar to or even better than XT32, any advice would be great, thank you all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JTROSmeasurements.pdf (936.6 KB, 39 views)
rjh65@verizon.ne is online now  
post #16881 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 3,987
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

JTROSmeasurements.pdf 937k .pdf file
Hello All, after selling my Submersive HP I ordered an OS in December and received it a couple of weeks ago, I have it located in the center of the wall underneath my big screen, I have a Marantz AV8801 so I ran some measurements old school style via a RS analog SPL meter, a test tone CD that i had burned in 2008 and recorded to an excel subwoofer spread sheet that Ed Mullen emailed back then when I had dual PB13 ultras. I purchased a new laptop at Christmas so i will download some software and purchase a mic maybe next month but that's a whole other subject. My main question is that the difference that Audyssey XT32 made was substantial. I have attached the graphs via a pdf file that I scanned to my computer, after seeing and most of all hearing the difference it made I am a believer,problem is I may sell my AV8801 Marantz to possibly purchase a Krell foundation pre/pro as the reviews are phenomenal and I may want to try it out, it doesn't have Audyssey however so I am looking for opinions as to what I can purchase that hopefully would make as big a difference as the XT32 has, I have read good things about minidsp and the anti-mode 8033 but again if I go the Krell route I would want something to help the bass hopefully similar to or even better than XT32, any advice would be great, thank you all.
My advice is that I would take minidsp over audyssey if I had to choose one. I actually didn't like what audyssey did on my sub and fixed it with the minidsp.
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #16882 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

A little off topic here, but I know some of you guys have went with an AT screen. As some know I am trying to have a theater built, but it has not been easy getting someone to do the build. I now finally have a quality builder and the ball is finally rolling and hopefully next week I may have some progress.

My question is, I have decided to go with an AT build with a front stage. I was originally going with no stage with a fixed screen, but have decided to go AT with a small speaker room behind the screen and simple stage. I might as well just do it while I am doing the build because I will just wish I had one 2 months down the road. If I do go for it, I will have about 9' to 10' viewing from my chairs, will this be to close?? 10' will be about the best I can do and I am worried it may be a bit close. Anyone sitting that close??? Will the projector work that close?? Yeah, noob theater questions, but I know most of you guys are all set up already. I appreciate the feedback.

Reef>

9-10' sitting distance being close is relative to the screen size. For this distance, 110" 16:9 screen would be my max...but I would personally go 90-100" at this distance. it's nice to have immersion with a bigger screen when there's enough distance, but when you're that much closer, being able to see pixels come into play and how much do you want to turn your neck instead of just your eyes.

The best advice I can give you is to do what I am doing now in my room...experiment (this is why some of my speakers are sitting on cardboard boxes as seen in pics I've posted). Then measure twice, and cut once. Don't start construction until you have tried all of your options in your room. Take your projector and place it at distances you think you may hang it...every projector has variable throw, zoom, brightness, which will make a difference in your room and placement...Don't trust any calculators or specs you may have seen online...Verify for your implementation. For the screen, put nails on the side walls at different distances you're considering and make a clothesline basically...and throw a white sheet over and put some weight on the bottom corners to make it taut...then see what size looks good to you. You may be comfortable with something bigger or even smaller. Rinse, lather, and repeat if desired. Then order or DIY the screen size you want.

Btw, what projector are you considering or have? And are you limited in where it can hang?

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
asoofi1 is online now  
post #16883 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

JTROSmeasurements.pdf 937k .pdf file
Hello All, after selling my Submersive HP I ordered an OS in December and received it a couple of weeks ago, I have it located in the center of the wall underneath my big screen, I have a Marantz AV8801 so I ran some measurements old school style via a RS analog SPL meter, a test tone CD that i had burned in 2008 and recorded to an excel subwoofer spread sheet that Ed Mullen emailed back then when I had dual PB13 ultras. I purchased a new laptop at Christmas so i will download some software and purchase a mic maybe next month but that's a whole other subject. My main question is that the difference that Audyssey XT32 made was substantial. I have attached the graphs via a pdf file that I scanned to my computer, after seeing and most of all hearing the difference it made I am a believer,problem is I may sell my AV8801 Marantz to possibly purchase a Krell foundation pre/pro as the reviews are phenomenal and I may want to try it out, it doesn't have Audyssey however so I am looking for opinions as to what I can purchase that hopefully would make as big a difference as the XT32 has, I have read good things about minidsp and the anti-mode 8033 but again if I go the Krell route I would want something to help the bass hopefully similar to or even better than XT32, any advice would be great, thank you all.

So in my room, after I properly ran XT32 with 8-points of measurement with subs plugged into AVR (sr7008), it sounds fantastic. Then ran subs through Minidsp and tweaked, it just added the cherry on top to make it seem to sound better. So far for me, this two step process has worked really well. Right now, I'm running subs only on xt32 thru the avr, and it sounds excellent...so if I never went thru the minidsp step, I'd still be very happy...it's one of those cases of if you never have more than what you're used to, you'll never miss it. And I really believe room treatments will have more of a dramatic effect than the difference between xt32 and minidsp that I've heard/noticed so far.
RMK! likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
asoofi1 is online now  
post #16884 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,021
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

A little off topic here, but I know some of you guys have went with an AT screen. As some know I am trying to have a theater built, but it has not been easy getting someone to do the build. I now finally have a quality builder and the ball is finally rolling and hopefully next week I may have some progress.

My question is, I have decided to go with an AT build with a front stage. I was originally going with no stage with a fixed screen, but have decided to go AT with a small speaker room behind the screen and simple stage. I might as well just do it while I am doing the build because I will just wish I had one 2 months down the road. If I do go for it, I will have about 9' to 10' viewing from my chairs, will this be to close?? 10' will be about the best I can do and I am worried it may be a bit close. Anyone sitting that close??? Will the projector work that close?? Yeah, noob theater questions, but I know most of you guys are all set up already. I appreciate the feedback.

Reef>


My new setup has the first row of seating sitting 11ft from a 120" 16:9 screen, it did take watching a few movies to get use to it. But we were 13ft from a 112" screen for two years before I made the switch, so it was just different. But I have to say that once we got use to it we absolutely love it! The first thing my wife said when she first saw the new bigger screen was "its too big, I don't like it" insert joke here!..lol tongue.gif
But just last night we watched American Hustle and she was saying how much she really liked the new screen.

I would have liked to go with a scope screen to really get the wide screen look, but I hate doing things half A$$ and just didn't have the budget to buy a lens and sled setup so I stuck with the 16:9 format. On the plus side Rich from Falcon should have his new masking panels ready soon so I'll be ordering some to use with my screen.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #16885 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

So in my room, after I properly ran XT32 with 8-points of measurement with subs plugged into AVR (sr7008), it sounds fantastic. Then ran subs through Minidsp and tweaked, it just added the cherry on top to make it seem to sound better. So far for me, this two step process has worked really well. Right now, I'm running subs only on xt32 thru the avr, and it sounds excellent...so if I never went thru the minidsp step, I'd still be very happy...it's one of those cases of if you never have more than what you're used to, you'll never miss it. And I really believe room treatments will have more of a dramatic effect than the difference between xt32 and minidsp that I've heard/noticed so far.
Thanks for the feedback, from what I have read it seems everyone is happy with the Minidsp so that may be the route I go, i think you are correct on the room treatments it's just that last time I talked to someone at I believe GIK acoustics he reccomended something like 18 panels! Maybe I could try a few panels and go from there depending on the improvement. Any recommendations for a fairly simple measuring system to install on my laptop? I have seen REW mentioned quite a bit and have seen several different mic's mentioned but haven't looked to deeply into it as I never had a laptop until now.
rjh65@verizon.ne is online now  
post #16886 of 30542 Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

My advice is that I would take minidsp over audyssey if I had to choose one. I actually didn't like what audyssey did on my sub and fixed it with the minidsp.
I own a pair of LS9 line sources and spoke to the designer (Dannie Richie) about a month ago and he doesn't like what audyssey does to music on the LS9's. It definitely made a significant improvement for the OS due to the XT32 but I run it in the "bypass L/R" mode.
rjh65@verizon.ne is online now  
post #16887 of 30542 Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

What's the width and aspect ratio of your screen?
I don't know yet?
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #16888 of 30542 Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 3,987
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

My new setup has the first row of seating sitting 11ft from a 120" 16:9 screen, it did take watching a few movies to get use to it. But we were 13ft from a 112" screen for two years before I made the switch, so it was just different. But I have to say that once we got use to it we absolutely love it! The first thing my wife said when she first saw the new bigger screen was "its too big, I don't like it" insert joke here!..lol tongue.gif
But just last night we watched American Hustle and she was saying how much she really liked the new screen.

I would have liked to go with a scope screen to really get the wide screen look, but I hate doing things half A$$ and just didn't have the budget to buy a lens and sled setup so I stuck with the 16:9 format. On the plus side Rich from Falcon should have his new masking panels ready soon so I'll be ordering some to use with my screen.
You don't have to have an A lens to go scope. You can use a lumagen radiance video processor for way less money.
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #16889 of 30542 Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,789
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

Thanks for the feedback, from what I have read it seems everyone is happy with the Minidsp so that may be the route I go, i think you are correct on the room treatments it's just that last time I talked to someone at I believe GIK acoustics he reccomended something like 18 panels! Maybe I could try a few panels and go from there depending on the improvement. Any recommendations for a fairly simple measuring system to install on my laptop? I have seen REW mentioned quite a bit and have seen several different mic's mentioned but haven't looked to deeply into it as I never had a laptop until now.

Omnimic is a very nice measuring system and is easy to use/understand.

You have XT32 and can run it in L&R bypass mode? On what AVR/processor?

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #16890 of 30542 Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,789
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

My new setup has the first row of seating sitting 11ft from a 120" 16:9 screen, it did take watching a few movies to get use to it. But we were 13ft from a 112" screen for two years before I made the switch, so it was just different. But I have to say that once we got use to it we absolutely love it! The first thing my wife said when she first saw the new bigger screen was "its too big, I don't like it" insert joke here!..lol tongue.gif
But just last night we watched American Hustle and she was saying how much she really liked the new screen.

I would have liked to go with a scope screen to really get the wide screen look, but I hate doing things half A$$ and just didn't have the budget to buy a lens and sled setup so I stuck with the 16:9 format. On the plus side Rich from Falcon should have his new masking panels ready soon so I'll be ordering some to use with my screen.

I have the same 11' front row viewing distance and have gone from a 106" to a 110" to a 120" (all 16:9 width dimensions) and each has been a short adjustment period but then seems perfect. I am holding off on watching any of the new big action movies waiting for the 215RT's but have watched several character based movies and really like the 120" wide from 11'. The 120" also improves the immersion factor for the back row (approx 15').

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off