Official JTR speaker thread - Page 564 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
JTROSmeasurements.pdf 937k .pdf file
Hello All, after selling my Submersive HP I ordered an OS in December and received it a couple of weeks ago, I have it located in the center of the wall underneath my big screen, I have a Marantz AV8801 so I ran some measurements old school style via a RS analog SPL meter, a test tone CD that i had burned in 2008 and recorded to an excel subwoofer spread sheet that Ed Mullen emailed back then when I had dual PB13 ultras. I purchased a new laptop at Christmas so i will download some software and purchase a mic maybe next month but that's a whole other subject. My main question is that the difference that Audyssey XT32 made was substantial. I have attached the graphs via a pdf file that I scanned to my computer, after seeing and most of all hearing the difference it made I am a believer,problem is I may sell my AV8801 Marantz to possibly purchase a Krell foundation pre/pro as the reviews are phenomenal and I may want to try it out, it doesn't have Audyssey however so I am looking for opinions as to what I can purchase that hopefully would make as big a difference as the XT32 has, I have read good things about minidsp and the anti-mode 8033 but again if I go the Krell route I would want something to help the bass hopefully similar to or even better than XT32, any advice would be great, thank you all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JTROSmeasurements.pdf (936.6 KB, 27 views)
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

JTROSmeasurements.pdf 937k .pdf file
Hello All, after selling my Submersive HP I ordered an OS in December and received it a couple of weeks ago, I have it located in the center of the wall underneath my big screen, I have a Marantz AV8801 so I ran some measurements old school style via a RS analog SPL meter, a test tone CD that i had burned in 2008 and recorded to an excel subwoofer spread sheet that Ed Mullen emailed back then when I had dual PB13 ultras. I purchased a new laptop at Christmas so i will download some software and purchase a mic maybe next month but that's a whole other subject. My main question is that the difference that Audyssey XT32 made was substantial. I have attached the graphs via a pdf file that I scanned to my computer, after seeing and most of all hearing the difference it made I am a believer,problem is I may sell my AV8801 Marantz to possibly purchase a Krell foundation pre/pro as the reviews are phenomenal and I may want to try it out, it doesn't have Audyssey however so I am looking for opinions as to what I can purchase that hopefully would make as big a difference as the XT32 has, I have read good things about minidsp and the anti-mode 8033 but again if I go the Krell route I would want something to help the bass hopefully similar to or even better than XT32, any advice would be great, thank you all.
My advice is that I would take minidsp over audyssey if I had to choose one. I actually didn't like what audyssey did on my sub and fixed it with the minidsp.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

A little off topic here, but I know some of you guys have went with an AT screen. As some know I am trying to have a theater built, but it has not been easy getting someone to do the build. I now finally have a quality builder and the ball is finally rolling and hopefully next week I may have some progress.

My question is, I have decided to go with an AT build with a front stage. I was originally going with no stage with a fixed screen, but have decided to go AT with a small speaker room behind the screen and simple stage. I might as well just do it while I am doing the build because I will just wish I had one 2 months down the road. If I do go for it, I will have about 9' to 10' viewing from my chairs, will this be to close?? 10' will be about the best I can do and I am worried it may be a bit close. Anyone sitting that close??? Will the projector work that close?? Yeah, noob theater questions, but I know most of you guys are all set up already. I appreciate the feedback.

Reef>

9-10' sitting distance being close is relative to the screen size. For this distance, 110" 16:9 screen would be my max...but I would personally go 90-100" at this distance. it's nice to have immersion with a bigger screen when there's enough distance, but when you're that much closer, being able to see pixels come into play and how much do you want to turn your neck instead of just your eyes.

The best advice I can give you is to do what I am doing now in my room...experiment (this is why some of my speakers are sitting on cardboard boxes as seen in pics I've posted). Then measure twice, and cut once. Don't start construction until you have tried all of your options in your room. Take your projector and place it at distances you think you may hang it...every projector has variable throw, zoom, brightness, which will make a difference in your room and placement...Don't trust any calculators or specs you may have seen online...Verify for your implementation. For the screen, put nails on the side walls at different distances you're considering and make a clothesline basically...and throw a white sheet over and put some weight on the bottom corners to make it taut...then see what size looks good to you. You may be comfortable with something bigger or even smaller. Rinse, lather, and repeat if desired. Then order or DIY the screen size you want.

Btw, what projector are you considering or have? And are you limited in where it can hang?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

JTROSmeasurements.pdf 937k .pdf file
Hello All, after selling my Submersive HP I ordered an OS in December and received it a couple of weeks ago, I have it located in the center of the wall underneath my big screen, I have a Marantz AV8801 so I ran some measurements old school style via a RS analog SPL meter, a test tone CD that i had burned in 2008 and recorded to an excel subwoofer spread sheet that Ed Mullen emailed back then when I had dual PB13 ultras. I purchased a new laptop at Christmas so i will download some software and purchase a mic maybe next month but that's a whole other subject. My main question is that the difference that Audyssey XT32 made was substantial. I have attached the graphs via a pdf file that I scanned to my computer, after seeing and most of all hearing the difference it made I am a believer,problem is I may sell my AV8801 Marantz to possibly purchase a Krell foundation pre/pro as the reviews are phenomenal and I may want to try it out, it doesn't have Audyssey however so I am looking for opinions as to what I can purchase that hopefully would make as big a difference as the XT32 has, I have read good things about minidsp and the anti-mode 8033 but again if I go the Krell route I would want something to help the bass hopefully similar to or even better than XT32, any advice would be great, thank you all.

So in my room, after I properly ran XT32 with 8-points of measurement with subs plugged into AVR (sr7008), it sounds fantastic. Then ran subs through Minidsp and tweaked, it just added the cherry on top to make it seem to sound better. So far for me, this two step process has worked really well. Right now, I'm running subs only on xt32 thru the avr, and it sounds excellent...so if I never went thru the minidsp step, I'd still be very happy...it's one of those cases of if you never have more than what you're used to, you'll never miss it. And I really believe room treatments will have more of a dramatic effect than the difference between xt32 and minidsp that I've heard/noticed so far.
RMK! likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,628
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

A little off topic here, but I know some of you guys have went with an AT screen. As some know I am trying to have a theater built, but it has not been easy getting someone to do the build. I now finally have a quality builder and the ball is finally rolling and hopefully next week I may have some progress.

My question is, I have decided to go with an AT build with a front stage. I was originally going with no stage with a fixed screen, but have decided to go AT with a small speaker room behind the screen and simple stage. I might as well just do it while I am doing the build because I will just wish I had one 2 months down the road. If I do go for it, I will have about 9' to 10' viewing from my chairs, will this be to close?? 10' will be about the best I can do and I am worried it may be a bit close. Anyone sitting that close??? Will the projector work that close?? Yeah, noob theater questions, but I know most of you guys are all set up already. I appreciate the feedback.

Reef>


My new setup has the first row of seating sitting 11ft from a 120" 16:9 screen, it did take watching a few movies to get use to it. But we were 13ft from a 112" screen for two years before I made the switch, so it was just different. But I have to say that once we got use to it we absolutely love it! The first thing my wife said when she first saw the new bigger screen was "its too big, I don't like it" insert joke here!..lol tongue.gif
But just last night we watched American Hustle and she was saying how much she really liked the new screen.

I would have liked to go with a scope screen to really get the wide screen look, but I hate doing things half A$$ and just didn't have the budget to buy a lens and sled setup so I stuck with the 16:9 format. On the plus side Rich from Falcon should have his new masking panels ready soon so I'll be ordering some to use with my screen.
jbrown15 is online now  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

So in my room, after I properly ran XT32 with 8-points of measurement with subs plugged into AVR (sr7008), it sounds fantastic. Then ran subs through Minidsp and tweaked, it just added the cherry on top to make it seem to sound better. So far for me, this two step process has worked really well. Right now, I'm running subs only on xt32 thru the avr, and it sounds excellent...so if I never went thru the minidsp step, I'd still be very happy...it's one of those cases of if you never have more than what you're used to, you'll never miss it. And I really believe room treatments will have more of a dramatic effect than the difference between xt32 and minidsp that I've heard/noticed so far.
Thanks for the feedback, from what I have read it seems everyone is happy with the Minidsp so that may be the route I go, i think you are correct on the room treatments it's just that last time I talked to someone at I believe GIK acoustics he reccomended something like 18 panels! Maybe I could try a few panels and go from there depending on the improvement. Any recommendations for a fairly simple measuring system to install on my laptop? I have seen REW mentioned quite a bit and have seen several different mic's mentioned but haven't looked to deeply into it as I never had a laptop until now.
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

My advice is that I would take minidsp over audyssey if I had to choose one. I actually didn't like what audyssey did on my sub and fixed it with the minidsp.
I own a pair of LS9 line sources and spoke to the designer (Dannie Richie) about a month ago and he doesn't like what audyssey does to music on the LS9's. It definitely made a significant improvement for the OS due to the XT32 but I run it in the "bypass L/R" mode.
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoJer (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

What's the width and aspect ratio of your screen?
I don't know yet?
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

My new setup has the first row of seating sitting 11ft from a 120" 16:9 screen, it did take watching a few movies to get use to it. But we were 13ft from a 112" screen for two years before I made the switch, so it was just different. But I have to say that once we got use to it we absolutely love it! The first thing my wife said when she first saw the new bigger screen was "its too big, I don't like it" insert joke here!..lol tongue.gif
But just last night we watched American Hustle and she was saying how much she really liked the new screen.

I would have liked to go with a scope screen to really get the wide screen look, but I hate doing things half A$$ and just didn't have the budget to buy a lens and sled setup so I stuck with the 16:9 format. On the plus side Rich from Falcon should have his new masking panels ready soon so I'll be ordering some to use with my screen.
You don't have to have an A lens to go scope. You can use a lumagen radiance video processor for way less money.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Pain Infliction is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

Thanks for the feedback, from what I have read it seems everyone is happy with the Minidsp so that may be the route I go, i think you are correct on the room treatments it's just that last time I talked to someone at I believe GIK acoustics he reccomended something like 18 panels! Maybe I could try a few panels and go from there depending on the improvement. Any recommendations for a fairly simple measuring system to install on my laptop? I have seen REW mentioned quite a bit and have seen several different mic's mentioned but haven't looked to deeply into it as I never had a laptop until now.

Omnimic is a very nice measuring system and is easy to use/understand.

You have XT32 and can run it in L&R bypass mode? On what AVR/processor?

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

My new setup has the first row of seating sitting 11ft from a 120" 16:9 screen, it did take watching a few movies to get use to it. But we were 13ft from a 112" screen for two years before I made the switch, so it was just different. But I have to say that once we got use to it we absolutely love it! The first thing my wife said when she first saw the new bigger screen was "its too big, I don't like it" insert joke here!..lol tongue.gif
But just last night we watched American Hustle and she was saying how much she really liked the new screen.

I would have liked to go with a scope screen to really get the wide screen look, but I hate doing things half A$$ and just didn't have the budget to buy a lens and sled setup so I stuck with the 16:9 format. On the plus side Rich from Falcon should have his new masking panels ready soon so I'll be ordering some to use with my screen.

I have the same 11' front row viewing distance and have gone from a 106" to a 110" to a 120" (all 16:9 width dimensions) and each has been a short adjustment period but then seems perfect. I am holding off on watching any of the new big action movies waiting for the 215RT's but have watched several character based movies and really like the 120" wide from 11'. The 120" also improves the immersion factor for the back row (approx 15').

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Omnimic is a very nice measuring system and is easy to use/understand.

You have XT32 and can run it in L&R bypass mode? On what AVR/processor?

I have a Marantz AV8801 but may be purchasing the Krell Foundation so that's why I also am seeking advice on what might do as good a job as the XT32 has done on my OS since the Krell does not have audyssey. The OS is in the center position of my wall just below my Vutec silverstar and measured significantly better there than when i moved it more towards the corner (about 16" away) and behind one of my LS9 speakers. I read RMK where your OS's measured best 12" from the corner so I gave it a shot but for whatever reason it measured and performs significantly better in the middle of that wall, just different rooms I guess.
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I pulled the Orbit Shifter's out of the HT room yesterday as they are going to their new home today. I did a quick Audyssey 3 position and set the Noesis 212's to full range and played some music and movie clips. It has been a long time since I have heard the system without subs and it was a shocking revelation. Restating a well know fact, these speakers must be used with a good subwoofer (or four). I don't know exactly when I became a bass guy, but I am definitely one now.

The 215T's have a pretty high bar to clear ...

I have no doubt you will love the 215T...

However, $50 says you will end up adding subs back in the mix...

No LCR/Mains will ever satisfy your bass jones.

Take that to the bank!

This Thread moves so fast that I often have to review back to see where it's been. This little exchange between myself and popalock was interesting. Here ^ I was saying how anemic the Noesis 212's are in the bass category, and how much I missed the bass of the OS's.

We just got back from a 4 day East Coast business trip (Philadelphia and DC, frigging freezing eek.gif) and did a quick Washington tour of the Air and Space Museum so when we got home yesterday we decided to watch Apollo 13 on the HT (wife hadn't seen the movie). With just the Triple 8LP mains (run full range) and Slanted 8 center (no subs) it was amazingly cinematic. It seemed like movie theater levels of bass (Saturn 5 liftoff) and the dialog intelligibility and clarity were amazingly good. All in all, a totally satisfying movie experience, I'm sure the big AT screen (there I go again tongue.gif) was a major contributor to my satisfaction but I have to say, as nice as the OS's were, they were at times distracting. The level of tactile in my room (wood suspended floor) was literally crazy even with them run level matched.

While virtually every male (and a couple of women) who heard/felt them was impressed (perhaps an understatement tongue.gif), not everyone likes riding around the neighborhood on an unmuffled Harley. While it is fun to feel the guttural power and rumble of a substantial bass system, it can also detract from the overall sound quality of a system (putting on my flack jacket as I type wink.gif). I can already hear the howls of disagreement from all of you car audio bass guys but as I was never into that scene, and preferring a more balanced approach to sound, I am and have always been a bit of an outlier (although a schizophrenic one tongue.gif ) in this Thread, Diversity being a good thing, I just thought I would post these musings and let the cards fall where they may. Please excuse the excess metaphor useage, and I hope no one takes this personally. We are all entitled to have it our way and I thought I would share my minor epiphany with the group.

Also, I wanted to get the popalock wager on the books as I can use the cash to pay for those silly balanced Euroblock terminal connects for the Rane RPM88 multiprocessor. smile.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,628
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

You don't have to have an A lens to go scope. You can use a lumagen radiance video processor for way less money.

I can also do the zoom method with my RS45, but it would make the picture too dim IMO.
jbrown15 is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think the new 215-210 will sound great with music,like the good ole days of two channel with my Radio Shack mach ( forgot the #)with the 15 in woofer,but I think you will need a sub for movies.Will either one of the new spks have powered subs in them? then maybe you wont need subs.
dholmes54 is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

This Thread moves so fast that I often have to review back to see where it's been. This little exchange between myself and popalock was interesting. Here ^ I was saying how anemic the Noesis 212's are in the bass category, and how much I missed the bass of the OS's.

We just got back from a 4 day East Coast business trip (Philadelphia and DC, frigging freezing eek.gif) and did a quick Washington tour of the Air and Space Museum so when we got home yesterday we decided to watch Apollo 13 on the HT (wife hadn't seen the movie). With just the Triple 8LP mains (run full range) and Slanted 8 center (no subs) it was amazingly cinematic. It seemed like movie theater levels of bass (Saturn 5 liftoff) and the dialog intelligibility and clarity were amazingly good. All in all, a totally satisfying movie experience, I'm sure the big AT screen (there I go again tongue.gif) was a major contributor to my satisfaction but I have to say, as nice as the OS's were, they were at times distracting. The level of tactile in my room (wood suspended floor) was literally crazy even with them run level matched.

While virtually every male (and a couple of women) who heard/felt them was impressed (perhaps an understatement tongue.gif), not everyone likes riding around the neighborhood on an unmuffled Harley. While it is fun to feel the guttural power and rumble of a substantial bass system, it can also detract from the overall sound quality of a system (putting on my flack jacket as I type wink.gif). I can already hear the howls of disagreement from all of you car audio bass guys but as I was never into that scene, and preferring a more balanced approach to sound, I am and have always been a bit of an outlier (although a schizophrenic one tongue.gif ) in this Thread, Diversity being a good thing, I just thought I would post these musings and let the cards fall where they may. Please excuse the excess metaphor useage, and I hope no one takes this personally. We are all entitled to have it our way and I thought I would share my minor epiphany with the group.

Also, I wanted to get the popalock wager on the books as I can use the cash to pay for those silly balanced Euroblock terminal connects for the Rane RPM88 multiprocessor. smile.gif

Do you feel most of the distraction was from your wood suspended floor? I have a concrete slab foundation that's why I am curious.
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 AM
J
Member
 
J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Mukwonago Wi
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

This Thread moves so fast that I often have to review back to see where it's been. This little exchange between myself and popalock was interesting. Here ^ I was saying how anemic the Noesis 212's are in the bass category, and how much I missed the bass of the OS's.

We just got back from a 4 day East Coast business trip (Philadelphia and DC, frigging freezing eek.gif) and did a quick Washington tour of the Air and Space Museum so when we got home yesterday we decided to watch Apollo 13 on the HT (wife hadn't seen the movie). With just the Triple 8LP mains (run full range) and Slanted 8 center (no subs) it was amazingly cinematic. It seemed like movie theater levels of bass (Saturn 5 liftoff) and the dialog intelligibility and clarity were amazingly good. All in all, a totally satisfying movie experience, I'm sure the big AT screen (there I go again tongue.gif) was a major contributor to my satisfaction but I have to say, as nice as the OS's were, they were at times distracting. The level of tactile in my room (wood suspended floor) was literally crazy even with them run level matched.

While virtually every male (and a couple of women) who heard/felt them was impressed (perhaps an understatement tongue.gif), not everyone likes riding around the neighborhood on an unmuffled Harley. While it is fun to feel the guttural power and rumble of a substantial bass system, it can also detract from the overall sound quality of a system (putting on my flack jacket as I type wink.gif). I can already hear the howls of disagreement from all of you car audio bass guys but as I was never into that scene, and preferring a more balanced approach to sound, I am and have always been a bit of an outlier (although a schizophrenic one tongue.gif ) in this Thread, Diversity being a good thing, I just thought I would post these musings and let the cards fall where they may. Please excuse the excess metaphor useage, and I hope no one takes this personally. We are all entitled to have it our way and I thought I would share my minor epiphany with the group.

Also, I wanted to get the popalock wager on the books as I can use the cash to pay for those silly balanced Euroblock terminal connects for the Rane RPM88 multiprocessor. smile.gif

How often was your subs run level matched ?

Samsung 55 inch lcd
Marantz sr5400
Parasound HCA 1500
Parasound HCA 1000
JTR OS LFU
Paradigm studio 40's -fronts
Paradigm CC
Paradigm atoms -rear
J is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,163
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

I own a pair of LS9 line sources and spoke to the designer (Dannie Richie) about a month ago and he doesn't like what audyssey does to music on the LS9's. It definitely made a significant improvement for the OS due to the XT32 but I run it in the "bypass L/R" mode.

I found the same thing true with the ls-6's, and now again with the Danleys. I just don't like what audyssey does in general for music period. YMMV. I always run bypass LR for stereo listening and my confidence in what it does for surrounds is starting to wane a little as well...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post

Do you feel most of the distraction was from your wood suspended floor? I have a concrete slab foundation that's why I am curious.

Certainly a big contributor. For me it became a novelty thing. It was fun for a while and really fun for demos (tongue.gif ) but during normal use it would seem over the top. Running the system at less (-10db) than reference levels helped a lot but at that point the OS's were only coasting along. I have come to the conclusion that I (as in me myself wink.gif ) do not need that level of bass. I'm gonna look pretty silly if I change my mind in a couple of months but that's OK. This process has all been pretty much trial and error all along. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post

How often was your subs run level matched ?

I always attempted to run them level matched with the rest of the speakers at the main LP. That usually involved dropping the sub levels (Integra speaker level test tones) after Audyssey calibration.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Member
 
subyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Omnimic is a very nice measuring system and is easy to use/understand.

You have XT32 and can run it in L&R bypass mode? On what AVR/processor?

Even my Denon 4311 does that.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:
http://www.avs...
subyguy is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I found the same thing true with the ls-6's, and now again with the Danleys. I just don't like what audyssey does in general for music period. YMMV. I always run bypass LR for stereo listening and my confidence in what it does for surrounds is starting to wane a little as well...
It may sound strange but while a was awaiting my AV8801 Marantz I purchased a Harman Kardon used receiver (AVR635 no Audyssey) from a co-worker for dirt cheap so i would have something to use until the arrival of the AV8801 and to my surprise not doing ANY room correction (even thought the HK has this feature) at all and just the standard DD or DTS modes through the HK via a digital coax cable and listening through my Oppo BDP-103 to some CD's and standard concert DVD's was THOROUGHLY enjoyable! It TOTALLY caught me off guard! Really I was in NO RUSH to unhook it to set up the AV8801 when it arrived!
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,253
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I can also do the zoom method with my RS45, but it would make the picture too dim IMO.

Lots of factors whether zoom will work as far as I can tell. Throw distance, screen gain, bulb brightness, bulb age, 3D, brightness preferences, and pj zoom memory capabilities. Many zoom and like it, others not so much.
Gooddoc is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

This Thread moves so fast that I often have to review back to see where it's been. This little exchange between myself and popalock was interesting. Here ^ I was saying how anemic the Noesis 212's are in the bass category, and how much I missed the bass of the OS's.

We just got back from a 4 day East Coast business trip (Philadelphia and DC, frigging freezing eek.gif) and did a quick Washington tour of the Air and Space Museum so when we got home yesterday we decided to watch Apollo 13 on the HT (wife hadn't seen the movie). With just the Triple 8LP mains (run full range) and Slanted 8 center (no subs) it was amazingly cinematic. It seemed like movie theater levels of bass (Saturn 5 liftoff) and the dialog intelligibility and clarity were amazingly good. All in all, a totally satisfying movie experience, I'm sure the big AT screen (there I go again tongue.gif) was a major contributor to my satisfaction but I have to say, as nice as the OS's were, they were at times distracting. The level of tactile in my room (wood suspended floor) was literally crazy even with them run level matched.

While virtually every male (and a couple of women) who heard/felt them was impressed (perhaps an understatement tongue.gif), not everyone likes riding around the neighborhood on an unmuffled Harley. While it is fun to feel the guttural power and rumble of a substantial bass system, it can also detract from the overall sound quality of a system (putting on my flack jacket as I type wink.gif). I can already hear the howls of disagreement from all of you car audio bass guys but as I was never into that scene, and preferring a more balanced approach to sound, I am and have always been a bit of an outlier (although a schizophrenic one tongue.gif ) in this Thread, Diversity being a good thing, I just thought I would post these musings and let the cards fall where they may. Please excuse the excess metaphor useage, and I hope no one takes this personally. We are all entitled to have it our way and I thought I would share my minor epiphany with the group.

Also, I wanted to get the popalock wager on the books as I can use the cash to pay for those silly balanced Euroblock terminal connects for the Rane RPM88 multiprocessor. smile.gif

Well then!

Go ahead and PM me your email address. After reading this post I might as well go ahead and pay you.

Based on your refined listening habits, sounds like you've convinced yourself that your previous setup was complete (unnecessary) overkill.

Why didn't you holler when you were in DC man?! Would to have loved to have you over.

Could have high passed my system at 30Hz and ran it completely flat based in on your new preferences...also, wouldn't want you getting "car window down" nauseated feeling.

biggrin.gif
N8DOGG likes this.
popalock is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Well then!

Go ahead and PM me your email address. After reading this post I might as well go ahead and pay you.

Based on your refined listening habits, sounds like you've convinced yourself that your previous setup was complete (unnecessary) overkill.

Why didn't you holler when you were in DC man?! Would to have loved to have you over.

Could have high passed my system at 30Hz and ran it completely flat based in on your new preferences...also, wouldn't want you getting "car window down" nauseated feeling.

biggrin.gif

I appreciate the invite smile.gif and actually thought about it as I have wanted to to meet you and hear your setup. But I had the wife along as she had a conference in the area and we flew out early Sat morning and didn't have much spare time during the week. Plus, we didn't have a car (too much hassle).

Anyway, I wouldn't call my taste refined as much as specific.I know you can throttle back any SUBstantial bass system and have it sound good. It is simply a matter of our priorities and how much of that capability we use on a daily basis. I think I know what I want and have great hopes with the 215RT. I also like pushing the envelope and trying to make these work in an HT priority system despite all of the obvious challenges will be fun. I'm on a different tack now and will let this one run it's course. smile.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,554
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Can someone tell me the dimensions of a quintuple? Most importantly its height if laying horizontal and used for a center channel.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,554
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Anyone interested in the Beast of an amp Sherbourn PA 7350? I may be heading a slight different pre/pro direction. I would surely transfer over the amazing sale price and not try and make extra cash for one of you friends. I may also be getting rid of my Denon 3313 if you need a good AVR for not much. Anyhow not the classifieds I know but I consider most of you friends smile.gif

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Can someone tell me the dimensions of a quintuple? Most importantly its height if laying horizontal and used for a center channel.

From the JTR Site Forum:
Quote:
The Quintuple is the first JTR speaker to be designed for the aesthetic conscious.

The Quintuple is available with several beautiful real wood finishes or black texture

The one piece fabic grill is magnetized and the drivers are flush with the front of the cabinet for a clean, smooth look. The cabinet uses the highest grade veneers and is heavily braced.

C.A.R.B. compliant wood products, water based finishes and recycled cotton sound absorption make the Quintuple environmentally friendly.

The mid-range coaxial can be moved into any position, floor standing (top) or center channel (center) or whichever you'd like.

43" tall, 12.25" wide, 16.5" deep
56hz-20khz +/-3db (55-65hz recommended crossover)
98db at 1 watt
up too 1600 watts recommended
130db output capability
115 lbs (130 lbs shipping weight)
Your cost $1999 custom wood finishes
Your cost $1699 texture black finish

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,554
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Thanks Rob smile.gif I didn't know the quintuple was on the site. Should have looked

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Thanks Rob smile.gif I didn't know the quintuple was on the site. Should have looked

Might want to check the price as it has likely gone up. smile.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,554
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZUBvBJWYVc

Love the kick drum on this! Ive watched all the way through and its safe for a youtube vid. Nate, curious how the punch is for you wink.gif

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is online now  
 

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off