Señor Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

DD,

You use the 212HT in your above scenario. Quick question. Does the calculation factor in the use of multiple speakers?

I'm confident that no 212HT owner out there is going to be striving for the playback level in your example using only one (1) speaker, correct?

So with the "theoretical" 3db sensitivity gain assumed from doubling the number of speakers (stereo music playback), wouldn't that cut your originally calculated power requirement in half?

Using that same train of thought, how would the extra sensitivity in a typical 5 or 7 channel HT setup (movie playback) factor into the equation?

Edit: My phone sucks...Quoted the wrong post originally.

Good points Austin and all phones suck as word processors ... wink.gif

All of this relates to listening at the top of the listening tolerance threshold and as LB said, having to use earplugs during a listening test shows exactly how crazy we all are ... cool.gifeek.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16952 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

I'm confident that no 212HT owner out there is going to be striving for the playback level in your example using only one (1) speaker, correct?

That is incorrect. I have a speaker capable of handling 2000 watts program, and I want all that capability at my disposal. Awesome power handling is one of the reasons I bought JTR in the first place. It's akin to putting a VW engine in a Corvette. After all, no need for a top speed of 160 mph around town. But then it's not a Corvette anymore as far as I'm concerned, even though it has the chassis, tires, and everything else it needs to go fast.

Besides, what about being prepared for block parties or park parties? smile.gif

Jeez, you're all so practical around here...tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #16953 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I never thought I would read popalock and practical in the same sentence. smile.gif

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #16954 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

This is a great point, it was frustrating at our park gtg that the inuke was clipping long before the Noesis were at their limit. It was very loud but I wanted more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16955 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Horses for courses.

Trying to have it both ways usually leads to some snags ... but (and it's a big one tongue.gif ) JTR/Danley et al are the best options in that very narrow class (high fidelity with serious sackage) . smile.gif

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #16956 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

That is incorrect. I have a speaker capable of handling 2000 watts program, and I want all that capability at my disposal. Awesome power handling is one of the reasons I bought JTR in the first place. It's akin to putting a VW engine in a Corvette. After all, no need for a top speed of 160 mph around town. But then it's not a Corvette anymore as far as I'm concerned, even though it has the chassis, tires, and everything else it needs to go fast.

My point exactly. Why pay thousands of dollars for additional capability for a higher end pro speaker just to hold it back with a receiver or low watt amp.Why buy a high performance car just to put a low performance engine to run it.
post #16957 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Still... I'd love to do a blind A/B switch level matched for you guys at reference volume and watch you squirm as you go back and forth slowly coming to the realization that there is no way that you are going to be able to tell which is the avr and which is the amp. I've been there. smile.gif

post #16958 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Horses for courses.

Absolutely. Whatever makes you happy. I'm just giving my take on it. I fully support the LABGG community. There are many on this thread and I'm non-discriminatory. smile.gif
post #16959 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am currently designing my dedicated theater. I plan on purchasing JTR speakers. They will either by the 212's or the 228 for the front. I have already built 2 dual opposed subs with the Dayton 18's. I used Gorillas plan to build them. I am planning out my stage right now, I will be using an AT screen. I can save a bit of space by putting the subwoofers sideways with the drivers facing the walls vs drivers facing the screen. Are there advantage/disadvantages to this?

post #16960 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Still... I'd love to do a blind A/B switch level matched for you guys at reference volume and watch you squirm as you go back and forth slowly coming to the realization that there is no way that you are going to be able to tell which is the avr and which is the amp. I've been there. smile.gif
Your referring to 2 channel tests. Any high quality avr should be able to do 2 channel with HE/HS speakers just fine. Same goes for a 2 channel amp.

HT is about 5, 7, 9, or 11 speakers being driven. That is when the avr starts to fail. I have T12s for the LCR and Mythos tens for the SS and RS. They are supposedly 93dbs. Watching a highly dynamic movie or concert at reference level results in noticeably more listening fatigue at the end then it does when watching the same show (different day) powered with a 3 channel amp and letting the avr drive the 4 surrounds.

When watching the show at reference powered with the avr I usually cannot wait for it to end so I can turn the volume down. My ears start hurting about a half hour into it. When the amp is added I enjoy the show and do not even think about the volume. This difference is why I own an amp.
2 cents
Chris
post #16961 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Actually a slight advantage with the woofers hopefully being closer to the same distance away from you. It is the exact reason I ended up going that direction with the last build I am just completing. You can see the two boxes supporting the Danleys on the bottom have 2 18's each, then the other two out from them will go up top.

Each of those 4 boxes house 2 18's dual opposed.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #16962 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Actually a slight advantage with the woofers hopefully being closer to the same distance away from you. It is the exact reason I ended up going that direction with the last build I am just completing. You can see the two boxes supporting the Danleys on the bottom have 2 18's each, then the other two out from them will go up top.

Looks like I need to stop by the next time I am in Asheville to listen after these changes....biggrin.gif
post #16963 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 09:02 AM

So really no audible difference if the woofers are facing the side walls or the chairs?

post #16964 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Freaking awesome!

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #16965 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

So really no audible difference if the woofers are facing the side walls or the chairs?
As long as you leave enough clearance for the woofer there should be no audible difference. Once things are set up take some measurements to find out for sure.

With my SubM HPs it does not matter at all. smile.gif
Good Luck
Chris
post #16966 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 AM

I would if I could but if I shrink my stage a bit not sure I would have room behind the screen to have the subwoofers face forward or sideways. There is a 5" difference between depth and width. My mind likes to say there would be more sonic impact with the woofers facing me but the mind can play tricks!

post #16967 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Looks like I need to stop by the next time I am in Asheville to listen after these changes....biggrin.gif

Yea, Duh.....

Quote:

Nope. If anything, an improvement by having them fire to the side.

post #16968 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Your referring to 2 channel tests. Any high quality avr should be able to do 2 channel with HE/HS speakers just fine. Same goes for a 2 channel amp.

HT is about 5, 7, 9, or 11 speakers being driven. That is when the avr starts to fail. I have T12s for the LCR and Mythos tens for the SS and RS. They are supposedly 93dbs. Watching a highly dynamic movie or concert at reference level results in noticeably more listening fatigue at the end then it does when watching the same show (different day) powered with a 3 channel amp and letting the avr drive the 4 surrounds.

When watching the show at reference powered with the avr I usually cannot wait for it to end so I can turn the volume down. My ears start hurting about a half hour into it. When the amp is added I enjoy the show and do not even think about the volume. This difference is why I own an amp.
2 cents
Chris

Good point Chris. I know my surrounds are more like 93 db sensitivity... hmmmm......

post #16969 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

What did you use to check the dynamic range? Can you post a link?
I use JRiver Media Center which calculates the same thing as TT Dynamic Range meter. This is similar to the crest fact, but not exactly. The numbers will all be proportional, though, so you can find songs with lowest/highest crest factor using the TT DR number.

For actual crest factor, I use the free Voxengo Span VST plugin inside JRiver. It requires you to monitor the song real time and will give you RMS, peak level, max crest factor, and clippings. You can monitor each channel separately.
post #16970 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yes isn't it! Everybody should watch it IMO. I would love to see how a dual OS-er would sound!

It sounds live...The drummer is playing in my room and each beat is extremely tight and controlled. Pretty amazing.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade:

ht: LCR
~Surr. Four
~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two
~AV
post #16971 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Guess I failed to explicitly word my post sufficiently to get my point across in the context of DD's original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Check out the requirements on the calculator for the Noesis 212HT with the following criteria:
  • Listening distance of 4 meters (13 ft)
  • Desired average listening volume of 102 dB
  • Sensitivity of speaker - 101 dB 1w/1M
  • Amplifier headroom: 20 dB (Music needs headroom from 6-24 dB, most movies need 20 dB of headroom)

You need 2014 watts for the above scenario!

Was simply attempting to convey that if one had a desired average listening volume of 102db (as indicated in DD's scenario above), the 3db sensitivity gain from adding a second 212HT would imply that 1/2 power (1007 watts) would achieve said desired average listening volume....

My major assumption was that the DJ hosting the block party would not use one (1) 212HT to achieve said desired average listening volume.

That said, I am going to make a further assumption that DD backed into that SPL figure based on the 212HT's rated program power of 2000 watts (correct me if I'm wrong!)... Add another 212HT and another 2014 watts and you would be +6db above the desired average listening volume indicated in DD's scenario above.

That's it...

Not saying anyone is correct or incorrect. Just stating an observation that would most likely play out...at a block party...

post #16972 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

I use JRiver Media Center which calculates the same thing as TT Dynamic Range meter. This is similar to the crest fact, but not exactly. The numbers will all be proportional, though, so you can find songs with lowest/highest crest factor using the TT DR number.

For actual crest factor, I use the free Voxengo Span VST plugin inside JRiver. It requires you to monitor the song real time and will give you RMS, peak level, max crest factor, and clippings. You can monitor each channel separately.

Appreciate it.

I understand it is relative and can be relied on to find songs with lower or higher crest factor, I am trying to understand if the 1.6db for the track I found is possible for a music signal, I know that a square wave has a 0db crest. Googling has not helped me thus far. I hope your link will answer the question smile.gif
post #16973 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Looks amazing! Did you remember to leave any room for a screen and/or seating? haha j/k smile.gif Awesome set up man!
post #16974 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

We were that high (+17dB) at the dlbeck g2g and we only had the cherry monoblocks on each speaker and I didn't hear a hint of distortion, and if you look at the comments - neither did anyone else.
I just found out that my amps have a current limiter that prevents clipping from ever occurring. I didn't know this before.
post #16975 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I tried both configurations with my dual shifters and there wasn't a noticeable difference. So I will have them facing mouth towards side walls to economize the space behind the false wall. EQing with XT32 and minidsp is what really helped me.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade:

ht: LCR
~Surr. Four
~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two
~AV
post #16976 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That said, I am going to make a further assumption that DD backed into that SPL figure based on the 212HT's rated program power of 2000 watts (correct me if I'm wrong!)... Add another 212HT and another 2014 watts and you would be +6db above the desired average listening volume indicated in DD's scenario above.

That's it...

Not saying anyone is correct or incorrect. Just stating an observation that would most likely play out...at a block party...
Yes, I didn't want to go over the rated power of one speaker and show that you can still use that much power and not be listening to 120+ levels. Guys can turn off their subs, use C weighting and slow on an SPL meter and should get their average SPL number to use in the calculator for their desire max listening volume. This will include both speakers. When using both speakers, enter 104 for the sensitivity (if using Noesis 212HTs) and actual measured SPL. Also, divide the required power by 2 to get power requirements per speaker.

Ivan Beaver of Danley once showed how SPL levels varied by using different settings on the same meter for the same signals:
Quote:
A weighted slow around 108dB
C weighted slow around 118dB
C weighted fast around 128dB
Flat response-peak around 136dB

OSHA hearing requirements are based on A weighting since it represents how we hear and perceive sound. However, most discussions about "its too loud" on AVS are referring to C weighting. You can listening to a movie at Reference Level and measure 110 dB on your meter. By OSHA's standards you could only listening at about 90 dB. It is even less depending on how much the bass was contributing to the 110 dB. You can listen up to 90 dBa for up to 8 hours a day according to OSHA standards. By the way, 10 Hz at A weighting is -56 dB from C weighting. At 5 hz, it is down by 68 dB.
post #16977 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guess I failed to explicitly word my post sufficiently to get my point across in the context of DD's original post.
Was simply attempting to convey that if one had a desired average listening volume of 102db (as indicated in DD's scenario above), the 3db sensitivity gain from adding a second 212HT would imply that 1/2 power (1007 watts) would achieve said desired average listening volume....

My major assumption was that the DJ hosting the block party would not use one (1) 212HT to achieve said desired average listening volume.

That's it...

biggrin.gif. Nah, it's all good. I got your point the first time. smile.gif I'm just having a little fun with DD's numbers. There's no right or wrong. Everybody has their own way of looking at things and their own personal goals. My only point was that, for me, I prefer to maximize the entire signal chain. If a speaker has a 250 watt power handling, then I would want a minimum of 250 watts powering it. That's all. Not everybody is concerned with handling a block party, some just want enough power that they feel they can't tell a difference with more.

But I do find it curious that everyone maximizes subwoofer wattage based on driver and cabinet parameters, not desired spl at the mlp. Yet when it comes to mains the calculation changes. Active speakers are typically designed like subs, but passive systems always seem to get different treatment. All three have cabinets and drivers, why the difference with passive speakers?
post #16978 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM
The Truth Hz

Because active typically incorporates DSP that could result in some boosting across the FR to optimize the overall speaker response. These boosts do require additional reserve power, and matching the active speaker with a higher powered amp is prudent in this case. Not to say that we do the same type of DSP using xt32 or the like outside of a passive setup, but even in this case, a higher powered amp would still be a good suggestion to allow for whole system headroom. The point remains if you were to buy a catalyst and only listened at -10 and lower, you still wouldn't be using anywhere near the SP amp's spec'd wattage, but to cover all end consumer's requirements, Mark matches the amp to the speaker spec so he doesn't have people trying to go +10 over ref at 3m+ and breaking stuff all the time....

post #16979 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 03:01 PM

Liked: 19

Guys...I'm trying to sound treat my theater and Bryan from GIK is giving me some advice that seems questionable. Wanted to run it by you guys to see what you though.

He says the 120 inch screen is too big for the wall (13.5 ft) and the seating distance is too short (13 ft). He's saying the captivators are going to sound terrible because they are corner loaded and you can't treat the corners behind them.

He's recommending that I build out my stage more to move the caps somewhere else to treat the corners on the projection wall..........

Are corner loaded subs bad? I thought it was okay to corner load a sub. I'm confused. Can't I just treat the corner above the sub?

My sub unscrews light bulbs, pops nails, and wakes up babies.
post #16980 of 23979 Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 19

To be honest, untreated, the room doesn't sound bad at all to me if you stay seated. The screen works for us personally...doesn't seem too big. I'm not sure this is even going to be worth it.

My sub unscrews light bulbs, pops nails, and wakes up babies.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page