Official JTR speaker thread - Page 567 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16981 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I sit 14 feet from a 200" scope/158" 16:9 CIH screen and wish I could go bigger. I'm not sure how big of a screen would be too big but I haven't reached it yet.
YMMV.
popalock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16982 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post

Guys...I'm trying to sound treat my theater and Bryan from GIK is giving me some advice that seems questionable. Wanted to run it by you guys to see what you though.

He says the 120 inch screen is too big for the wall (13.5 ft) and the seating distance is too short (13 ft). He's saying the captivators are going to sound terrible because they are corner loaded and you can't treat the corners behind them.

He's recommending that I build out my stage more to move the caps somewhere else to treat the corners on the projection wall..........

Are corner loaded subs bad? I thought it was okay to corner load a sub. I'm confused. Can't I just treat the corner above the sub?

I wouldn't listen to that either. Corner loading a sub will get you more output that is all. He can't tell you that a sub will sound good or bad anywhere in your room without testing it even if it is the sub crawl method. You can treat the corner the sub is in, but I would measure first to see if you actually need to treat it. You can also make your response worse by treating the room wrong and waste your money at the same time. Place your speakers where you want them and then treat your room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post

I sit 14 feet from a 200" scope/158" 16:9 CIH screen and wish I could go bigger. I'm not sure how big of a screen would be too big but I haven't reached it yet.
YMMV.

WOW! that is crazy big! Show some pics please! eek.gif

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #16983 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:

Guys...I'm trying to sound treat my theater and Bryan from GIK is giving me some advice that seems questionable. Wanted to run it by you guys to see what you though.

He says the 120 inch screen is too big for the wall (13.5 ft) and the seating distance is too short (13 ft). He's saying the captivators are going to sound terrible because they are corner loaded and you can't treat the corners behind them.

He's recommending that I build out my stage more to move the caps somewhere else to treat the corners on the projection wall..........

Are corner loaded subs bad? I thought it was okay to corner load a sub. I'm confused. Can't I just treat the corner above the sub?

I sit 11ft from a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen and my front wall is 14ft wide, I don't have any issues at all. In fact if anyone takes a look at the pictures of my front wall the screen and speakers aren't centered to the wall either, everything is offset to the right.
HTPCat likes this.
post #16984 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I sit 11ft from a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen and my front wall is 14ft wide, I don't have any issues at all. In fact if anyone takes a look at the pictures of my front wall the screen and speakers aren't centered to the wall either, everything is offset to the right.

Dang, does that not bug the heck out of you. My whole drop ceiling grid is only off by about 3-4 inches and it gets my OCD cookin pretty bad. Especially with my MLP being dead center between the side walls, I always want to look up and be directly under the center rail, but I am off a couple inches to the left. It bugs the crap out of me.....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #16985 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Dang, does that not bug the heck out of you. My whole drop ceiling grid is only off by about 3-4 inches and it gets my OCD cookin pretty bad. Especially with my MLP being dead center between the side walls, I always want to look up and be directly under the center rail, but I am off a couple inches to the left. It bugs the crap out of me.....

It does and it doesn't, there's nothing that I can really do about it because that's how the basement was designed in the house. It did allow for my to tuck in my AV rack and add a little mini bar and fridge, so it looks pretty good.
post #16986 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Yea, me either. I have a bar/rack area inset into what used to be a closet on the right wall and I turned it into a little makeshift bar by busting out the wall to half height and the door. It isn't that spectacular and needs a nice finish carpentry job on it. but it is a nice space to stick all the HT stuff.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #16987 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 895
There may be truth to not corner loading very capable ported subs. (if not applying additional EQ - -- - because it may re-inforce the low end too much)

But without measuring in a room it may be an inaccurate recommendation.

I prefer my captivator pair about 1/3 room width each. Which happens to be on both left and right of my projector screen. I've measured all over my room. Literally spent hours moving the caps around and measuring, and at my seating position - luckily for me --- the cosmetic first choice was just about (but not quite) the best FR I could manage natively (with no EQ applied). The only better native FR was with the ported subs facing towards the outside walls rather than facing forward. But it was a minor difference, and could be EQ'ed out, and I much prefer both the looks, and exceptionally prefer the port wind effect of the subs facing forward.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #16988 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19

So I'm guessing before I do any room treatment at all....or buy anything else...I need to pic up an omni mic.

Maximum Un-Intelligence.
post #16989 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

So I'm guessing before I do any room treatment at all....or buy anything else...I need to pic up an omni mic.

In medicine that would be considered a class 1a evidence based recommendation. In other words, it's highly recommended. biggrin.gif
post #16990 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I must have a similar HT OCD to Brandon. Symmetry is in my blood. I measure things down to the inch to make sure everything stays symmetrical (screen, speakers,projector,etc..). Might explain why they keep me heavily medicated and under constant adult supervision tongue.gif
post #16991 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

He says the 120 inch screen is too big for the wall (13.5 ft) and the seating distance is too short (13 ft).
Is that 16:9 or 2.35:1 screen? Is 120" diagonal? The CEDIA recommendation is 43 degrees which is basically 3x screen height for a 2.35 screen. I think THX is a little further back.

I have a 12.5" wide room with a 126" diagonal 16:9 screen. I usually sit around 11' from the screen. I love the immersion.
Quote:
He's saying the captivators are going to sound terrible because they are corner loaded and you can't treat the corners behind them.
Are corner loaded subs bad? I thought it was okay to corner load a sub. I'm confused. Can't I just treat the corner above the sub 
I don't think the issue he is addressing is corner loading the subs. The issue is an acoustics one (which Bryan specialized in) because too large of a screen and the subs by the corners prevents one from putting bass traps floor to ceiling in the wall corners. Using floor to ceiling bass traps is the best treatment I've done in my room and greatly improved the bass. I use an AT screen so my subs are still in the corners and my screen is wide. wink.gif However, if you aren't going with an AT screen you have to compromise somewhere. Bryan's advice is looking at it from an audio priority perspective and is the correct advice from that perspective.

I would rather have subs between L/R and center with corner bass traps than have subs in the corners.
post #16992 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Is that 16:9 or 2.35:1 screen? Is 120" diagonal? The CEDIA recommendation is 43 degrees which is basically 3x screen height for a 2.35 screen. I think THX is a little further back.

I have a 12.5" wide room with a 126" diagonal 16:9 screen. I usually sit around 11' from the screen. I love the immersion.
I don't think the issue he is addressing is corner loading the subs. The issue is an acoustics one (which Bryan specialized in) because too large of a screen and the subs by the corners prevents one from putting bass traps floor to ceiling in the wall corners. Using floor to ceiling bass traps is the best treatment I've done in my room and greatly improved the bass. I use an AT screen so my subs are still in the corners and my screen is wide. wink.gif However, if you aren't going with an AT screen you have to compromise somewhere. Bryan's advice is looking at it from an audio priority perspective and is the correct advice from that perspective.

I would rather have subs between L/R and center with corner bass traps than have subs in the corners.

It's a 16:9.I'm starting to think that the projection wall needs to get knocked down so I can flush the speakers behind an AT screen.

Maximum Un-Intelligence.
post #16993 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

It's a 16:9.I'm starting to think that the projection wall needs to get knocked down so I can flush the speakers behind an AT screen.
exactly, just like this:

which looks like this with the screen on and the speakers lit up:

L0nestar likes this.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #16994 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 895
^ that looks really cool!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #16995 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Yep, ordered this morning. Might be a good music demo for the 215RT GTG. cool.gif

Agreed….excellent DVD. Even better would be this….

http://www.amazon.com/Killers-Live-Royal-Albert-Blu-ray/dp/B002RBZ13Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1393992177&sr=1-1&keywords=killers+live+from+the+royal+albert+hall+bluray.

Recommend playing Dustland Fairytale as loud as your 215's can muster….you and your crowd will be impressed…even if your not a Killers fan.
post #16996 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I sit 9 feet from a 113" screen and would go bigger if I had the room on the wall.
post #16997 of 26314 Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Your referring to 2 channel tests. Any high quality avr should be able to do 2 channel with HE/HS speakers just fine. Same goes for a 2 channel amp.

HT is about 5, 7, 9, or 11 speakers being driven. That is when the avr starts to fail. I have T12s for the LCR and Mythos tens for the SS and RS. They are supposedly 93dbs. Watching a highly dynamic movie or concert at reference level results in noticeably more listening fatigue at the end then it does when watching the same show (different day) powered with a 3 channel amp and letting the avr drive the 4 surrounds.

When watching the show at reference powered with the avr I usually cannot wait for it to end so I can turn the volume down. My ears start hurting about a half hour into it. When the amp is added I enjoy the show and do not even think about the volume. This difference is why I own an amp.
2 cents
Chris

Amen. Play 7 channels at full tilt and a avr's limits will be shown.
post #16998 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What's the lead time for making a 228HT?
post #16999 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

What's the lead time for making a 228HT?

It took 4 weeks to ship from the time I ordered, best bet is to call and ask though.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
4 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in slanted boxes (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
3 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in Ported Boxes for LCR's
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #17000 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

Remember, Brian is selling product and his services are (or at least used to be) free. I suggest you read up on room acoustics a bit before purchasing or building panels.

Regarding screen size, I started with a 106" diag from 11ft. then a 126" and now have a 138' diag screen from the 11' front row viewing distance. I was happy with the 126" but needed the additional width of the 138" for the 215RT speakers. I have watched several movies on the 138" and have no problems with that size. My wife didn't even notice the difference but then she is pretty much oblivious to anything I do in the HT room. Very supportive, but oblivious ... It doesn't get any better than that! tongue.gifwink.gif
Dbuudo07 and L0nestar like this.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #17001 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What projector are you using? Plenty bright?
post #17002 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM

I'm using an epson 5030ub. Its a great projector.

Maximum Un-Intelligence.
post #17003 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

What projector are you using? Plenty bright?

I have a Sony VPL-HW50ES and by the Projector Central calculator I am fine in a light controlled room. I have the throw distance right, run it in high power mode and it looks very good to me. smile.gif

I had a $10K projector once and feel I get an as good, if not better image from the Sony. The 3D isn't quite up to my brightness level preference but I don't watch much 3D. Apparently the format is loosing it's draw anyway now that 4K mania is gaining momentum. smile.gif

Video is too technologically volatile. I prefer to put my money in speakers and amps. cool.gif

HToM

post #17004 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I have a Sony VPL-HW50ES and by the Projector Central calculator I am fine in a light controlled room. I have the throw distance right, run it in high power mode and it looks very good to me. smile.gif)

Do you have a scope screen or 16:9? How far away is the projector from the screen? I have a bit before doing so but the wish is to have a scope screen that is 130" wide or potentially larger.
post #17005 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

I'm using an epson 5030ub. Its a great projector.

Great projector. Just verify the throw, zoom, and focus on the largest image you can get from placement distance. This is 16:9 so maximize the size because 2.35-2.40 will be relatively smaller anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #17006 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Do you have a scope screen or 16:9? How far away is the projector from the screen? I have a bit before doing so but the wish is to have a scope screen that is 130" wide or potentially larger.

It's a 16:9 and the projector is a little close now (14') as I had to move the screen 1' farther off of the front wall to accommodate the new speakers. That shortened my viewing distance from 12.5' to 11.5' and the throw from 15' to 14'. It seems to work but I am debating moving the projector back 2' to get to the recommended throw. It means an hour (at least) of attic time that I don't look forward to. smile.gif

HToM

post #17007 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

exactly, just like this:

which looks like this with the screen on and the speakers lit up:

I have seen this picture on Jeff's FB site - looks awesome. I am in the early stages of designing my frontstage and would love to know more about this specific build - is there a build thread? I am going with a Seymour AV Center Stage XD AT 16 X 9 Screen (thanks RMK!) (126" diagonal 110" width) on a 14' wall. I have JTR T12s LCR that will go behind the screen and perhaps both of my Seaton HP subs. Only one corner as the left side is open (with draw curtains planned for light control). I can tear down the current wall and rebuild as it is not load bearing or just build out 20" or so. I will be sitting about 12' at MLP. No treatments yet, but would like to add some to the front perhaps just like this picture and then add some corner bass traps and small number of wall treatments to side and back.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #17008 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My wife didn't even notice the difference but then she is pretty much oblivious to anything I do in the HT room. Very supportive, but oblivious ... It doesn't get any better than that! tongue.gifwink.gif

LOL.... that sounds exactly like my wife! She still hasn't even noticed that I bought a Sherbourn PA 7-350 amp. Hell I've been buying a new dirt bike every other year trading in the old one for like the past 6 years and my wife still hasn't noticed because I stayed with the same brand and color!..lol
post #17009 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

LOL.... that sounds exactly like my wife! She still hasn't even noticed that I bought a Sherbourn PA 7-350 amp. Hell I've been buying a new dirt bike every other year trading in the old one for like the past 6 years and my wife still hasn't noticed because I stayed with the same brand and color!..lol

Thats part of the secret of upgrading. Stay with the same brand/look and they won't even notice smile.gif I went from a Marantz av7005 to av8801...didn't notice. JTR T12 to JTR 212..didn't notice. I went from a grey NAD M25 to a black Parasound Halo...didn't notice. When I tell her I upgraded something in the HT she gives me the "whatever" response anyways. I might try to whole polygamy thing and see if she notices tongue.gif
post #17010 of 26314 Old 03-05-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

I have seen this picture on Jeff's FB site - looks awesome. I am in the early stages of designing my frontstage and would love to know more about this specific build - is there a build thread? I am going with a Seymour AV Center Stage XD AT 16 X 9 Screen (thanks RMK!) (126" diagonal 110" width) on a 14' wall. I have JTR T12s LCR that will go behind the screen and perhaps both of my Seaton HP subs. Only one corner as the left side is open (with draw curtains planned for light control). I can tear down the current wall and rebuild as it is not load bearing or just build out 20" or so. I will be sitting about 12' at MLP. No treatments yet, but would like to add some to the front perhaps just like this picture and then add some corner bass traps and small number of wall treatments to side and back.

Feel free to follow my build thread. I will be incorporating both the baffle wall with the IMAX reveal look. Search for the Savoy build thread.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page