Official JTR speaker thread - Page 570 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6733Likes

Old 03-09-2014, 07:15 AM
J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Looks awesome! I might have missed it, but what subs are those? I am assuming ported even though I do not see ports but maybe sealed and really thin??? I am on my phone so I can't really see much such as signatures and what not.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506201/ltd-m18-sub-build

Samsung 55 inch lcd
Marantz sr5400
Parasound HCA 1500
Parasound HCA 1000
JTR OS LFU
Paradigm studio 40's -fronts
Paradigm CC
Paradigm atoms -rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Another Brick in the Wall?

Yes, perfect metaphor. In its day, that lyric was alluding to some other time or place. Having these fictions, including Orwell's Nineteen Eighty four, become our reality is a sad commentary on our times. And very few seem to care...
Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillPu$her View Post

I used to be a pharmaceutical rep a long time ago, but I kept the screen name. It does make it a little interesting when I try to set up meets, I'll admit. smile.gif
I'd love to come to Austin for a demo. Thank you for the offer. I'm not sure when I can get away. My kids have Spring Break, so I'm home with them all week. Are you ready for a house party? JK.
Road trip!

Just lemme know tongue.gif

-Kevin
Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector/GIK Acoustic room treatments
Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9
Marantz AV7702mkii pre-pro/Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp
Oppo BDP-105/Darbee Darblet
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds/twin RA Gamma 21s
Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

@PillPu$her

Just some advise from RMK and Frohlich:

1) Empty your bladder immediately before you leave
2) Check weather report for inclement weather
3) Time the departure so the sun will be at your back
4) Identify and map Rest Areas BEFORE you leave!
5) It's a 4 hour drive, book a hotel in advance near the midpoint so you can get some sleep before the final leg of the journey
6) Don't lose your keys!

Best of luck! tongue.gif
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Well I managed to get two of my four subs setup with my 228HT's, so far I'm really happy with this current setup smile.gif

photo 2 (5).JPG

Very nice JB. The room has a very familiar color scheme wink.gif and the speaker height looks good. You've definitely got that symmetry thing down. I assume there is a large AT screen that will be the pièce de résistance? cool.gif

Edit; never mind ... I recall (from your sig tongue.gif ) that you are a Falconer ... cool.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

@PillPu$her

5) It's a 4 hour drive, book a hotel in advance near the midpoint so you can get some sleep before the final leg of the journey
6) Don't lose your keys!

Best of luck! tongue.gif

Don't forget the inflatable cushion to ward off hemorrhoids ...

Opinions are not facts.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't forget the inflatable cushion to ward off hemorrhoids ...

Ha! You're a good sport mate cool.gif

This should be a good trip for Pillpu$her if he gets down there. I hate to see someone spend that kind of money without knowing what's out there. Most all of us have been down that road.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

Yes, perfect metaphor. In its day, that lyric was alluding to some other time or place. Having these fictions, including Orwell's Nineteen Eighty four, become our reality is a sad commentary on our times. And very few seem to care...

This is no place for politics. PM'd you ... smile.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:

@PillPu$her

6) Don't lose your keys!

Best of luck! tongue.gif

You clearly are new at this. No adult diapers?.....no AAA discount card?.....need about 8 stops for bathroom breaks, wrong exits and don't get me start on the 4 hour return trip. This just turned into a 3 day weekend!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Señor Member

I need some opinions. With the Noesis 215 and 210 RT's coming out soon, I was thinking about starting a separate Thread for those speakers here in the Speaker Section. I also considered starting it off with the GTG comments and photos rather than creating a separate Thread in the oft ignored Home Theater Meet GTG section.

Just using the "Official JTR Speaker thread" (here) is another option.

So the options I am considering are:

1. Start a JTR Noesis Reference Tower Thread in the Speaker Section and post all RT info there.
2. Start a GTG Thread in the Home Theater Meets Thread and post comments there
3. Do both of the above
4. Just post all RT and GTG related info here
5. Who cares and who put you in charge anyway ... tongue.gif
6. Or, ????

What say ye?

Opinions are not facts.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Second option. We don't need another permanent speaker thread.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Dreamwarrior,

Didn't you visit craig johns theater as well?
Sorry, I just saw this -- yes I did. Craig's room was awesome! I've said to many that to date it is still (with no offense to the other member's rooms which I've listened) the best sounding room I've heard yet, and that certainly includes my own. However, how much of that is due to his speakers and how much to the careful attention to detail and room treatments I couldn't say; I'd lean heavily to the more room than speakers side. Though, if I had any critique of his room it would be that, for my personal music listening desires, it just doesn't get loud enough. Probably because it's nowhere near as live as other rooms. I'd love to hear some JTRs or Caps in there -- either they'd sound just as awesome as his Triads, but get quite a bit louder, or maybe the room would start to reveal some warts in the speakers...who knows.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

What's sad is that a lot of the legislation is due do to a few loud mouths like the fool pushing the bill, and not the government. Not every voice should be heard when making law.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Quote:

Very nice JB. The room has a very familiar color scheme wink.gif and the speaker height looks good. You've definitely got that symmetry thing down. I assume there is a large AT screen that will be the pièce de résistance? cool.gif

Edit; never mind ... I recall (from your sig tongue.gif ) that you are a Falconer ... cool.gif

You bet!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Looks awesome! I might have missed it, but what subs are those? I am assuming ported even though I do not see ports but maybe sealed and really thin??? I am on my phone so I can't really see much such as signatures and what not.

I don't really want to get too far side track in the JTR thread but I'll give a quick break down of them. So the picture shows the first two of the four that I'm building, I'll stack the next two onto of the first two. I'm using UXL-18 drivers, which if you're not familiar with are right up there with LMS-5400 drivers. I'm power two drivers per iNuke 6000DSP amps. And each sub cabinet is 32"wide, 22"deep and 40"high with a port tune of 15-16hz.

So something similar to a passive Cap 2400, but I would imagine more output considering the driver used and size of the enclosure. The larger cabinet allows the driver to get more extension with less power.

Needless to say its pretty bad ass so far and just a little bit of an upgrade from my dual PSA XS30 subs wink.gif....LOL
Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't really want to get too far side track in the JTR thread but I'll give a quick break down of them. So the picture shows the first two of the four that I'm building, I'll stack the next two onto of the first two. I'm using UXL-18 drivers, which if you're not familiar with are right up there with LMS-5400 drivers. I'm power two drivers per iNuke 6000DSP amps. And each sub cabinet is 32"wide, 22"deep and 40"high with a port tune of 15-16hz.

So something similar to a passive Cap 2400, but I would imagine more output considering the driver used and size of the enclosure. The larger cabinet allows the driver to get more extension with less power.

Needless to say its pretty bad ass so far and just a little bit of an upgrade from my dual PSA XS30 subs wink.gif....LOL

Nice! I've got a case of theater envy.

Don't take this the wrong way, but looking at your pic above it appears the screen is a bit off center form the stage. Is it just an optical illusion or temporary? Sorry man, I feel like this could come off as critical in some way and it's not at all. Just curious, that's all. What you're doing is what I'd like to do biggrin.gif.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is no place for politics. PM'd you ... smile.gif

+1
Quote:

2. Start a GTG Thread in the Home Theater Meets Thread and post comments there

My vote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

You clearly are new at this. No adult diapers?.....no AAA discount card?.....need about 8 stops for bathroom breaks, wrong exits and don't get me start on the 4 hour return trip. This just turned into a 3 day weekend!!!!

Lol, I was thinking old, but not that old. biggrin.gif
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice! I've got a case of theater envy.

Don't take this the wrong way, but looking at your pic above it appears the screen is a bit off center form the stage. Is it just an optical illusion or temporary? Sorry man, I feel like this could come off as critical in some way and it's not at all. Just curious, that's all. What you're doing is what I'd like to do biggrin.gif.

No you're right and I didn't take it as criticism, I kind of had to do it that way because my room is a little wonky. The front wall is 14ft wide and the back seating area is basically 12ft wide, you'll also notice that the left side of the stage is wider then the right. I wanted the biggest screen possible to be able to hide my speakers behind so to make that size work I had to offset the screen a little to center it with the seating.

At first it drove me crazy but I just kept telling myself to ignore it and enjoy the watching movies on it, now I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No you're right and I didn't take it as criticism, I kind of had to do it that way because my room is a little wonky. The front wall is 14ft wide and the back seating area is basically 12ft wide, you'll also notice that the left side of the stage is wider then the right. I wanted the biggest screen possible to be able to hide my speakers behind so to make that size work I had to offset the screen a little to center it with the seating.

At first it drove me crazy but I just kept telling myself to ignore it and enjoy the watching movies on it, now I don't even notice it anymore.

Ah, I see. Yea, no big deal. I didn't even notice it the first time I looked at the pic. What you're doing there is awesome.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
Quote:

I think that compromise is unacceptable. On the side I'm a shrink, er, play psychologist so repeat after me. "My screen is off center and I must fix it. My screen is off center and I must fix it." So you need to find a way to expand the room 2 ft or get rid of all of your equipment. Don't worry I also have a truck, er minivan, and can handle junk removal for you, no charge.

J/K. The room looks awesome and I'd love to have it, warts and all!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Second option. We don't need another permanent speaker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

I vote option #2 as well

[quote name="Gooddoc" url="/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/17160#post_24459890"
My vote[/quote]

Wow, 3 opinions ... I'm overwhelmed. tongue.gif

OK, but don't go asking questions here about the 215RT's ... wink.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

[quote name="Gooddoc" url="/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/17160#post_24459890"
My vote

OK, but don't go asking questions here about the 215RT's ... wink.gif[/quote] IMO the GTG thread is good but I like to discuss JTR speakers here too. Not sure how much extra action the 228 thread gets but I wouldn't want to see a separate thread for each model. Subwoofers already have some extra threads too.

Good luck on the GTG it should be awesome.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 322
quote reply button sucks on AVS. Always difficult to tell what you will get.mad.gif
Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

OK, but don't go asking questions here about the 215RT's ... wink.gif
IMO the GTG thread is good but I like to discuss JTR speakers here too. Not sure how much extra action the 228 thread gets but I wouldn't want to see a separate thread for each model. Subwoofers already have some extra threads too.

Good luck on the GTG it should be awesome.[/quote]

There hasn't been a post in the 228 thread in two months.

JTR (3 215 RT, 3 212HTR, 2 228HT, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
Klipsch (All for sale! 2 pair Cornwalls, 3 pair Forte's 1 pair Heresy's)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 321 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
But its a good quick read someone who wants to know as much as they can about the 228ht without all the enjoyable off topic chatter this thread has. My clear opinion is a new reference tower thread is a great idea. It doesn't have to live/stay bumped forever, but it'll both generate interest in a new product and be a one stop initial reference for anyone interested in the new reference tower line.

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:

But its a good quick read someone who wants to know as much as they can about the 228ht without all the enjoyable off topic chatter this thread has. My clear opinion is a new reference tower thread is a great idea. It doesn't have to live/stay bumped forever, but it'll both generate interest in a new product and be a one stop initial reference for anyone interested in the new reference tower line.

Very true.

I read the whole thing before ordering and it was helpful since this thread can be all over the place.

I'm now trying to catch up on this one

JTR (3 215 RT, 3 212HTR, 2 228HT, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
Klipsch (All for sale! 2 pair Cornwalls, 3 pair Forte's 1 pair Heresy's)
Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

I like your take on this and your 228 thread was a nice carve out allowing for the focus to be on that model. Let's see how it all plays out. With slightly less than three weeks till the GTG, Jeff hasn't received the final version of the woofers (3rd version) so it will be a very close shave. Reminds me of the OS situation where they arrived the day before a planned GTG minus one power cord (a Powercon connector that you can't find anywhere) and after some scrambling we literally had 30 minutes to set them up prior to the GTG. I'm hoping to at least double that number with the 215RT's wink.gif.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can the 212's (or new 210's) be bi-amped? Are they banana plug compatable?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis
taboola here