Official JTR speaker thread - Page 574 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17191 of 31063 Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Troll
 
ufokillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
how do i fix this gap?


my s2 grille is warped beyond belief!
ufokillerz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17192 of 31063 Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,624
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Honestly, take the grill off! Those things need to look their best! Haha biggrin.gif Otherwise, you need to weigh the grill down some with some serious pounds. The only thing I could think of is dampen the wood on the grill and lay it flat, and put something heavy and flat on top of them both for a little while.....Surprised the grill is warped like that. Could it have gotten some moisture exposure during transit?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)


Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #17193 of 31063 Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

how do i fix this gap?


my s2 grille is warped beyond belief!
I keep the grill off because it rattles on heavy bass scenes. Do you have to keep it on for protection?
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #17194 of 31063 Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Troll
 
ufokillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I keep the grill off because it rattles on heavy bass scenes. Do you have to keep it on for protection?

my soon to be 2 year old daughter runs around jabbing everything with her fingers.. i need some custom cabinets to replace my racks too, she took one of my vacuum tubes out of my modwright oppo player.
ufokillerz is offline  
post #17195 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,701
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

my soon to be 2 year old daughter runs around jabbing everything with her fingers.. i need some custom cabinets to replace my racks too, she took one of my vacuum tubes out of my modwright oppo player.

My dad told me I destroyed these badass Yamaha speakers he had in our living room when I was about your daughters age.

I don't have any kids of my own, but I've thought a bit about how I would deal with this if I brought a little one into the world.

I think I'd take the "don't touch the stove, it's hot" approach. A quick 60Hz burp as my little guy reachs in with his prodding baby fingers might do the trick.

Nothing crazy! Just enough for him to associate a loud unpleasant sound (bark) accompanied with enough cone vibration (bite) on his fingers to scare him.

I'm sure my attempts to make my kid fear my equipment will fail miserably though...

Man, I just reread what I wrote...I'm already questioning my parenting skills.
popalock is offline  
post #17196 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 220
whatever your intent the kid will most likely go the other way. probably attack the woofer with a toy till it is destroyed.biggrin.gif Especially if he/she has your killer instinct (I saw the arm wrestling video) smile.gif

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #17197 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,952
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
We never "baby proofed" our house, we just taught the kids from a very young age what they could not touch and it worked great. The only issue i ever had was a toy found inside my mbm 12 that was shoved in the port.

Now, I do have girls so that might be why they were trainable.
carp is offline  
post #17198 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

We never "baby proofed" our house, we just taught the kids from a very young age what they could not touch and it worked great. The only issue i ever had was a toy found inside my mbm 12 that was shoved in the port.

Now, I do have girls so that might be why they were trainable.

Same here. All my gear including HTPC, DAC's, amplfiers are at 2 year old height. I have 4 year old and 2 year old boys and haven't had any issues except the same as yours. I found a plastic Easter egg inside my MBM 12 and a car inside the bottom port of my LS-6 when I took them to dlbeck's for the GTG last year.
desertdome is offline  
post #17199 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,842
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

how do i fix this gap?

my s2 grille is warped beyond belief!

You are having some bad luck with this order. If you must use grills and they arrived warped, let Jeff know and I'm sure he will send replacements.

No to open the amplifier debate ...rolleyes.gif but I just ordered a LG fp10000q clone, It will be paired with the real LG but the clone will have the lighter lift of running the 4 surround channels. Presents an opportunity to test the clone vs real deal and both vs my W4S amp.

My main concern is fan noise as the equipment closet's equipment rack backside is open to the HT room (for cable management purposes). This opening is covered by a removable GIK acoustic panel on the HT room side and noise was never an issue with the dead silent W4S amp. But the LG's fan is LOUD! and so I've got an idea for another removable solid back panel (1/8" ply) with acoustic foam on the inside. Then I'll hang the existing 4'X2' GIK panel on top of the now enclosed cabinet back. That should provide adequate sound insulation (I hope redface.gif) .

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #17200 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Carp
You better knock on wood b/c it aint over yet. With 2 girls they may never touch your Audio equipment but I will bet their future boyfriends will. smile.gif
Chris
popalock likes this.

Chris
countryWV is offline  
post #17201 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Carp
You better knock on wood b/c it aint over yet. With 2 girls they may never touch your Audio equipment but I will bet their future boyfriends will. smile.gif
Chris
Haha...have girls, buy shotgun -- in this case threaten use whether they touch either your girl's or your "equipment".
popalock likes this.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #17202 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,952
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Carp
You better knock on wood b/c it aint over yet. With 2 girls they may never touch your Audio equipment but I will bet their future boyfriends will. smile.gif
Chris

Yep. I see my friends that have sons and I think to myself that they are doing the hard work now but it will be reversed here in a few years.
carp is offline  
post #17203 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,701
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

You are having some bad luck with this order. If you must use grills and they arrived warped, let Jeff know and I'm sure he will send replacements.

No to open the amplifier debate ...rolleyes.gif but I just ordered a LG fp10000q clone, It will be paired with the real LG but the clone will have the lighter lift of running the 4 surround channels. Presents an opportunity to test the clone vs real deal and both vs my W4S amp.

My main concern is fan noise as the equipment closet's equipment rack backside is open to the HT room (for cable management purposes). This opening is covered by a removable GIK acoustic panel on the HT room side and noise was never an issue with the dead silent W4S amp. But the LG's fan is LOUD! and so I've got an idea for another removable solid back panel (1/8" ply) with acoustic foam on the inside. Then I'll hang the existing 4'X2' GIK panel on top of the now enclosed cabinet back. That should provide adequate sound insulation (I hope redface.gif) .

Props Rob!

I don't think this will stir up any debate at this point in time. The debate is reserved for after you post your impressions.
tongue.gif

As for the fan mod.... I've done three so far. Takes like 15min on a clone. Spending what you did on the OEM, I wouldn't touch it...lol
popalock is offline  
post #17204 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,842
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Props Rob!

I don't think this will stir up any debate at this point in time. The debate is reserved for after you post your impressions.
tongue.gif

As for the fan mod.... I've done three so far. Takes like 15min on a clone. Spending what you did on the OEM, I wouldn't touch it...lol

Not going to touch it (either one) . In the great American tradition, I'll treat the symptom, not the problem ... wink.gif

Actually, the clone amp will have the fan control set to come on only at higher temps. They call it their HT model. Since is is only driving the surrounds that should be fine. Pretty confident my sound isolation scheme will work so it's all good.

Regarding the amp debate, it will be pretty simple for me. Does the clone amp sound worse, the same or better to me. At it's price point, it's not a bad choice for surround duty in a dedicated HT if:

- It isn't DOA
- Doesn't crap out after a few hours, days, months of use.
- Doesn't catch fire and burn the house down

That's a reasonable bar set, don't you think? smile.gif

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #17205 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,624
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
That third point....Man that one is a doozy biggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)


Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #17206 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,279
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Not going to touch it (either one) . In the great American tradition, I'll treat the symptom, not the problem ... wink.gif

Actually, the clone amp will have the fan control set to come on only at higher temps. They call it their HT model. Since is is only driving the surrounds that should be fine. Pretty confident my sound isolation scheme will work so it's all good.

Regarding the amp debate, it will be pretty simple for me. Does the clone amp sound worse, the same or better to me. At it's price point, it's not a bad choice for surround duty in a dedicated HT if:

- It isn't DOA
- Doesn't crap out after a few hours, days, months of use.
- Doesn't catch fire and burn the house down

That's a reasonable bar set, don't you think? smile.gif

I don't think you'll hear any difference between the amps. The reason I don't own one is for the reasons of #2 and #3. There is no doubt the components in the clone are not nearly robust as those in the OEM, so long-term reliability is a concern. Nothing drives me more crazy than an equipment failure when I have a planned evening of music or movies. I'm willing to pay for increased reliability. Also, there is no way to know if all the speaker protection circuits you read about in the manual that came with your real LG even function on the clone. An argument could be made that they are unnecessary, but I like them biggrin.gif. And then the big one for me. This is a high powered 30 amp device we're talking about here. Personally, I want assurance that it has been built to a safe standard. "Made in China" is far from a UL listing. wink.gif Now, I have not heard of any fires from these amps, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future or that I simply I haven't read about it. Not my house, that's for sure.

Ok, fire away...biggrin.gif
Gooddoc is offline  
post #17207 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,279
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post


But the LG's fan is LOUD!

Ha! Told you. biggrin.gif

Now you know why it's in my garage, lol
Gooddoc is offline  
post #17208 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,842
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I don't think you'll hear any difference between the amps. The reason I don't own one is for the reasons of #2 and #3. There is no doubt the components in the clone are not nearly robust as those in the OEM, so long-term reliability is a concern. Nothing drives me more crazy than an equipment failure when I have a planned evening of music or movies. I'm willing to pay for increased reliability. Also, there is no way to know if all the speaker protection circuits you read about in the manual that came with your real LG even function on the clone. An argument could be made that they are unnecessary, but I like them biggrin.gif. And then the big one for me. This is a high powered 30 amp device we're talking about here. Personally, I want assurance that it has been built to a safe standard. "Made in China" is far from a UL listing. wink.gif Now, I have not heard of any fires from these amps, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future or that I simply I haven't read about it. Not my house, that's for sure.

Ok, fire away...biggrin.gif

As usual, very well reasoned doc. Having the real deal to power the LCR 215RT's I felt the risk/reward equation on the clone for the surrounds was acceptable. If it blows (and doesn't take me and the house with it tongue.gif) it might actually make a very nice addition to the system. It certianly shouldn't have any problems powering the surrounds to ref or above smile.gif.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #17209 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,842
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Ha! Told you. biggrin.gif

Now you know why it's in my garage, lol

Yeah, when it starts up it's kinda scary ...

But then the LG settles into a nice little computer fan mode that I suppose alone could live with. I can't wait to put the SPL meter in the equipment closet with the LG, Clone, HTPC and the Rane all singing away. eek.gif Seriously, the fan noise from those amps the HTPC and the Rane in a quiet HT room would be intolerable. The only way these work for me is in a separate HT equipment closet (or garage wink.gif)

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #17210 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Member
 
subyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well after a month of shipping screw ups (shipped to the wrong country/address, freight company not showing up to deliver twice) my 212's and second OS finally arrived. Of course now due to all the delivery delays I won't be able to actually set them up until at least the weekend...grrrr.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:
http://www.avs...
subyguy is offline  
post #17211 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Ha! Told you. biggrin.gif

Now you know why it's in my garage, lol
My LG 10k shipped today. It is also going in a separate room in my setup. Won't be ablt to hear it for a while though the theater is in a major renovation.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #17212 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyguy View Post

Well after a month of shipping screw ups (shipped to the wrong country/address, freight company not showing up to deliver twice) my 212's and second OS finally arrived. Of course now due to all the delivery delays I won't be able to actually set them up until at least the weekend...grrrr.
well better late than never. At least you now have a fun weekend to look forward to.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #17213 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,842
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

My LG 10k shipped today. It is also going in a separate room in my setup. Won't be ablt to hear it for a while though the theater is in a major renovation.

That's great LB. I have only played around with the LG in my temp setup but it seems like there is an audible difference with this very powerful amp. Wish I could have heard the 212's with the LG. You will very soon and I'm looking forward to your comments. cool.gif

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #17214 of 31063 Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,279
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

My LG 10k shipped today. It is also going in a separate room in my setup. Won't be ablt to hear it for a while though the theater is in a major renovation.
Nice! Jeez, LG's are popping up like weeds. biggrin.gif

It's a great amp, all issues of SQ aside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That's great LB. I have only played around with the LG in my temp setup but it seems like there is an audible difference with this very powerful amp

Just stirring the pot...wink.gifbiggrin.gif
Gooddoc is offline  
post #17215 of 31063 Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,652
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 507
So my XBOX one and Titanfall came in last night. Downloaded the game overnight and will be playing it today..I mean its for the kids. Yeah, I just want to test it thoroughly for them. Looks like all the games on the XBOX One are in 7.1, the soundtrack to the game sounds pretty active. Lucky for me I have several hours of "meetings" on my calendar this morning (I work from home a lot) to test it for the kids..they are so lucky to have a dad that is willing to do quality control testing for them...hours and hours I will dedicate to make sure they have a good experience when they get home from school smile.gif
Frohlich is offline  
post #17216 of 31063 Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,842
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Nice! Jeez, LG's are popping up like weeds. biggrin.gif

It's a great amp, all issues of SQ aside.
Just stirring the pot...wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Actually more like drinking the Kool-Aid ... smile.gif

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #17217 of 31063 Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,988
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I remember reading that LG amps roll off the top end quite drastically making them great for subwoofers, but not for mains. I'll try to find where I read it.

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
post #17218 of 31063 Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,279
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Actually more like drinking the Kool-Aid ... smile.gif

I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect. It's every bit as good as the real thing. So long as you're not buying solely based on the attribute effected by placebo, it's free bonus performance! So sit back and enjoy the Kool Aid biggrin.gif
Gooddoc is offline  
post #17219 of 31063 Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,842
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I remember reading that LG amps roll off the top end quite drastically making them great for subwoofers, but not for mains. I'll try to find where I read it.

Don't know where you read that but before purchasing the LG's I read much the scant info out there on the FP amps. Most was very complimentary re the sound quality. Danley resellers/integrators have used LG's in a number of large installs around the country and many touring artists use them for in their touring sound rigs. The common refrain is excellent SQ and most referenced their use for the speakers, not subs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect. It's every bit as good as the real thing. So long as you're not buying solely based on the attribute effected by placebo, it's free bonus performance! So sit back and enjoy the Kool Aid biggrin.gif

It will be interesting to compare the LG to the W4S. I will be surprised if I noticed no difference even considering my small HT vs the concert halls and churches where these are most commonly used. As you know, driving the full range 215RT is why I bought this amp. It was a decision based upon a desire to not have to wonder if I was giving them enough power to get the performance I want. Jeff's high praise of the LG units was a factor as well. I am in a "I can't wait to light this rocket" mode. cool.gif

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #17220 of 31063 Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I am getting my ducks in a row before I order the 228Ht for L/C/R and asked Jeff if my receiver was ok to run them with, which he stated it was but an amp has it's benefits. With that said I thought I would also order an Emotiva XPA-3 for my fronts and left my receiver handle my surround sound duty. Would this be a good option? Or other thoughts on this?
Thanks

The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off