Official JTR speaker thread - Page 583 - AVS Forum
First ... 581  582  583 584  585  ... Last
Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 08:43 PM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

To me vinyl sounds like snap crackle pop. You can try it, but for me NOTHING sounds better than a well recorded CD, DVD Audio, or SACD.

What kind of music do you listen to?
I agree Vinyl is snap crackle pop, but the vinyl guys will say that is the beauty of it. Vinyl is definitely much more warm. So much of the information is missing on CD and compressed MP3's, vinyl just has allot more bandwidth, but allot more noise. Nothing will sound better than vinyl played on a good table with some full range quality speakers. I am not so sure the Noesis would be the best choice of speakers to really be playing back vinyl, but certainly, to each his own. vinyl is making a big comeback, but at a pretty big price.

Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar 10:31 PM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post

I had s8 for lcr for awhile and they were awesome! Crossed them over at 80 and enjoyed them immensely. Powered off a reciever and eventually Face Audio f500ts amps. I'm now using a single 8x for center and triple 12x for l/r.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Thanks for the reply...very helpful. Out of curiosity, what were your specific goals with upgrading to triple 12's for l&r?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post

More midbass

The 8" woofer lack mid-bass? I thought the Single8 is powerful enough to blast a typical HT room?
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 10:37 PM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Is there anyone who use a Single8HT as center speaker? How does it sound?
I have a Slanted 8 acting as center channel and it sounds great for both movies and music. Dialog on films is crystal clear. I subjectively disagree about a lack of midbass but haven't measured them as it is a temp setup.
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 10:56 PM 03-19-2014
I for one hate vinyl. lol I get bugged at work since we have quite a few guys who love it but I can't stand extra noise redface.gif
Gunner969's Avatar Gunner969 05:50 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I for one hate vinyl. lol I get bugged at work since we have quite a few guys who love it but I can't stand extra noise redface.gif

Same here. It also reminds me of WWII.
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich 06:02 AM 03-20-2014
I am not even cool enough to have an opinion. I have never heard a nice 2 channel Vinyl based set-up. redface.gif
BCRSS's Avatar BCRSS 07:05 AM 03-20-2014
Even though it looks cool and impressive to have all your media displayed neatly on shelves and racks to show off your vast collection to all the guests, I hate it all. After moving and loading (4) 45 gallons plastic totes filled with DVD's, Blurays and then another 5 large cardboard boxes with albums, I will never again load my media on shelves and take up space in my room. So much simpler to fire up my HTPC and stream from my NAS.
Just my buck 3 ninety eight's worth of info.tongue.gif
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 07:29 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

It is an acquired taste that if for sure. Certainly with modern equipment and new presses starting to show up, vinyl can sound really good, you will hear things in a different light. If you have the time money and enjoy sitting back and just really relaxing with a glass of wine and listing to a great album, only then can it really be appreciated. It's really an analog world smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I am not even cool enough to have an opinion. I have never heard a nice 2 channel Vinyl based set-up. redface.gif
You have to treat yourself. From what I have been told, vinyl is on the comeback big time. I had the luxury that my Dad was an audiophile and he had a pretty nice rack back in the day, even with a reel to reel. Hell I listened to good vinyl all through the 70's and 80's. Personally reel to reel is the best I have ever heard, but certainly impractical. I would love to get a vinyl collection going again, but new presses are a bit pricy. There is a record shop in Pittsburg called Jerry's, I have never been, but I have seen a doc on it and I would love to make a stop someday and snag up some used affordable vinyl. The guy has everything and pretty well priced at a few dollars an album.
thebuckaman's Avatar thebuckaman 08:47 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:

The 8" woofer lack mid-bass? I thought the Single8 is powerful enough to blast a typical HT room?

To me, they lacked midbass. Could be my room, Audyssey, etc, but the triple 12x did not have any issue pouring sweet chest vibrating midbass all over the listening position!
countryWV's Avatar countryWV 10:28 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:

The single 8 series is powerful for a 8" coaxial mid-range. The T8 has a 8" coaxial MR with 2 more 8" woofers to provide more mid-bass. They do as well as 8" woofers can do but they are still limited to the performance that 8" woofers can provide.

A lot of individuals expectations for mid-bass require more than 8" woofers can give. With JTR the next step up is 12" woofers like the Triple 12 or Noesis 212.

A perceived lack of mid-bass is due to the woofer's size limits (8") and not the speaker itself. smile.gif In reality the S8 is an overachiever for its size.

Chris
hogues's Avatar hogues 01:38 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

It is an acquired taste that if for sure. Certainly with modern equipment and new presses starting to show up, vinyl can sound really good, you will hear things in a different light. If you have the time money and enjoy sitting back and just really relaxing with a glass of wine and listing to a great album, only then can it really be appreciated. It's really an analog world smile.gif
You have to treat yourself. From what I have been told, vinyl is on the comeback big time. I had the luxury that my Dad was an audiophile and he had a pretty nice rack back in the day, even with a reel to reel. Hell I listened to good vinyl all through the 70's and 80's. Personally reel to reel is the best I have ever heard, but certainly impractical. I would love to get a vinyl collection going again, but new presses are a bit pricy. There is a record shop in Pittsburg called Jerry's, I have never been, but I have seen a doc on it and I would love to make a stop someday and snag up some used affordable vinyl. The guy has everything and pretty well priced at a few dollars an album.

Agreed. The right equipment is essential. Vynl can be very quiet with the right pressing and equipment. It can be very expensive to get the right equipment, though. I really like it, but I will admit there is a nostalgia factor. I just bought a vintage stero counsel and I love it.
hogues's Avatar hogues 01:42 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

a few weeks have passed, i have these back in my hands now, they are probably ~95% now, the veneer is not as perfect as it could be if it were done the first time around, but i am a very happy customer. Turn around on this was much quicker then i expected. Jeff charged me half the refinishing costs, and we each paid for shipping one way. Jeff was also kind enough to pass on his fedex discounts so that i could ship to him with his labels.

Thank you Jeff for the awesome customer service! Now to find some time to get everything setup.

Looks great UFO.

Quick question along those lines. Is it possible to finish speakers that are already built? I was considering selling my 228's and getting the 210s with a custom veneer, but if I can get my current speakers finished, I might just o that route.
Gooddoc's Avatar Gooddoc 01:49 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I agree Vinyl is snap crackle pop, but the vinyl guys will say that is the beauty of it. Vinyl is definitely much more warm. So much of the information is missing on CD and compressed MP3's, vinyl just has allot more bandwidth, but allot more noise. Nothing will sound better than vinyl played on a good table with some full range quality speakers. I am not so sure the Noesis would be the best choice of speakers to really be playing back vinyl, but certainly, to each his own. vinyl is making a big comeback, but at a pretty big price.

I made the transition to CD/SACD/DVD-A and don't think I'll ever look back. Although mastering quality will have a large impact on SQ, the dynamic range of CD is far superior to vinyl. That's not to say many don't prefer the sound of vinyl, but it's definitely holds no technical advantage over CD as far as I can tell. It's like the tube vs. Solid state amp preference, different strokes for different folks.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697658/why-vinyl-sounds-better-than-cd-or-not
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 02:22 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Looks great UFO.

Quick question along those lines. Is it possible to finish speakers that are already built? I was considering selling my 228's and getting the 210s with a custom veneer, but if I can get my current speakers finished, I might just o that route.

I'm going to guess NO. Because your current speakers have a 1/2" rounded edge on them, and any speakers that I've seen from Jeff that were veneered had straight edges not rounded.
countryWV's Avatar countryWV 02:34 PM 03-20-2014
They would also have to sand the current paint finish off. It is possible to have it done but would cost quite a bit more than $300 each. Add in shipping charges and I am not sure it would be worth it. If you can find a local furniture refinisher it may be more cost effective.

It sure sounds like a good reason to buy some 210s. smile.gif

Chris
hogues's Avatar hogues 02:39 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

They would also have to sand the current paint finish off. It is possible to have it done but would cost quite a bit more than $300 each. Add in shipping charges and I am not sure it would be worth it. If you can find someone local to do it it may be more cost effective.

It sure sounds like a good reason to buy some 210s. smile.gif

Chris

Thanks, guys. Once the price for the 210's come out I will have to make a decision. Right now, I have the 228's with stands and I think that the 210's look much better for a living room/media room space (ie, finished basement). I'm really interested to see what his center channel solution will be. I also have a cap 1000 and I'm hoping that the 210's will play nice with it. I think that Jeff said that he will have some info soon and that he will be taking orders on the 31st.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 02:55 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

Thanks, guys. Once the price for the 210's come out I will have to make a decision. Right now, I have the 228's with stands and I think that the 210's look much better for a living room/media room space (ie, finished basement). I'm really interested to see what his center channel solution will be. I also have a cap 1000 and I'm hoping that the 210's will play nice with it. I think that Jeff said that he will have some info soon and that he will be taking orders on the 31st.

I thought Jeff has already said that they will be a couple hundred more then the 212HT's? So that would make them $2499 no?
HTPCat's Avatar HTPCat 03:13 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

Agreed. The right equipment is essential. Vynl can be very quiet with the right pressing and equipment. It can be very expensive to get the right equipment, though. I really like it, but I will admit there is a nostalgia factor. I just bought a vintage stero counsel and I love it.
I have 2 good turntables (Thorens modded TD 145 & Technics Sl-1800) paired with good carts (Shure V15 Type V & Denon DL-103R) that I use mostly to digitize the analog vinyl (24 bit ~ 96kHz WAV Files which are then converted to lossless FLAC) to my PC and the results are typically far superior to the CD. Of course you can remove any noise using various editing software which nowadays is virtually automatic, but with good quality recordings on good equipment noise is not an issue. I occasionally enjoy listening to a well mastered vinyl LP, but prefer the convenience of the digital realm so I rip every piece of audio media I have to lossless FLAC files and place them on my media server and play it all via JRiver. IMHO SACD (ripped via original PS3) is the best sounding with DVD-A (ripped with DVD Audio Extractor) very close, next would be Blu-ray audio (ripped with DVD- Audio Extractor) and then digitized Vinyl and finally CDs. Thanks to RMKs tip I am awaiting my PONO player so I will be able to paly my hi-rez audio virtually anywhere. Currently I only listen to MP3s in my cars or on my phone and don't really enjoy the experience much rolleyes.gif
hogues's Avatar hogues 03:34 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I thought Jeff has already said that they will be a couple hundred more then the 212HT's? So that would make them $2499 no?

I think so, but we can always hope for intro pricing! I just want to see it in print before I bite.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 05:10 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

I think so, but we can always hope for intro pricing! I just want to see it in print before I bite.

LOL.....there's always hope right biggrin.gif
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 05:15 PM 03-20-2014
Does anyone know which 12" Eminence drivers Jeff uses in the 212's?
bodhisafa's Avatar bodhisafa 07:01 PM 03-20-2014
Anyone have some noesis speakers near Jackson, ms. Would like a demo
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 07:35 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

Does anyone know which 12" Eminence drivers Jeff uses in the 212's?

The 212 woofers are custom so not commercially available. smile.gif

BTW, the 215 are "shipping tomorrow" so should be here (as in my possession) by Thursday of next week. That give me a day to two to tweak before the Sat GTG. I will start a thread in the HT Meet Thread and put a link in my Sig. Emails and PM's with details will go out this weekend. Looking forward to seeing y'all on the 29th.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 07:52 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

BTW, the 215 are "shipping tomorrow" so should be here (as in my possession) by Thursday of next week. That give me a day to two to tweak before the Sat GTG. I will start a thread in the HT Meet Thread and put a link in my Sig. Emails and PM's with details will go out this weekend. Looking forward to seeing y'all on the 29th.

They are Eminence drivers though right?
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 08:55 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

They are Eminence drivers though right?

ya they are. I had mine out at one point and they are indeed.
hogues's Avatar hogues 09:08 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

LOL.....there's always hope right biggrin.gif[/q
Quote:

Sure there is.....biggrin.gif

coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek 01:08 AM 03-21-2014
Quote:

Whooooo Hooooo.. best news ever!!! Brought me back to the forum right away...

Be sure to post photos, first impressions and tons and tons of reviews... biggrin.gif
Dbuudo07's Avatar Dbuudo07 01:27 AM 03-21-2014
Quote:

Hearing this news must be what it's like when women hear about another woman getting new shoes or a purse. I'm so excited for you that I gasped when I read it. My girlfriend whipped around and said, "What!?"
I said, "He's finally getting his new speakers!"
She replied, "Oh..." and turned around.

I'm supremely excited for you and can't wait to hear your impressions. cool.gifbiggrin.gif
staaled's Avatar staaled 01:56 AM 03-21-2014
Quote:

cool.gif

Looking forward to your impressions.
Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar 03:53 AM 03-21-2014
Do the Single8HT and 228HT share the same compression driver?
Tags: 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
First ... 581  582  583 584  585  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop