Official JTR speaker thread - Page 604 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread

Speakers

jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84
08:12 PM Liked: 272
post #18091 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 4,587
Joined: Dec 2012
yea its classic!!!! ^
Timokreon's Avatar Timokreon
08:40 PM Liked: 50
post #18092 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 119
Joined: Oct 2007
Good evening all!

I certainly hope your week has been fantastic? smile.gif

Perhaps I missed the post, but I see Jeff has put up the 210RT and the 215RT up on his main page.

The 210 look mighty fine for myself. $2499, with 38hz-24khz. I may just end up with these since I also like to listen to music quite a bit. smile.gif

Have a great night!
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
08:41 PM Liked: 1220
post #18093 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 6,668
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

I had a chance to listen to RMK!'s new 215's and they are simply jaw dropping! They were so clear and powerful it was shocking frankly. Anyone who has room and can make it work should go for it. You will not be disappointed.

That said, I do not have room and I don't think I would be married if I spent that kind of money on speakers (if she ever found out!). So with that in mind I am planning on replacing some paradigm signature W5's for a new LCR and I am really torn between going JTR 228, 212 or JBL 4722n. The JBL is listed over $1700 but if you call them it is really closer to $1100 which makes it the cheapest of the bunch. I've heard nothing but great reviews about them for movies as that is what they are designed for but not much with music.


JBL 4722n: $1,100 notnyt has them and they seem pretty impressive here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1525580/ht-of-the-month-ultimate-bass specs here: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/387526.html
JTR 228: $1,299
JTR 212: $2,299

I am planning on doing 2 or possibly 4 big ported subs depending on how I can arrange them.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any experience with these options and advice for a newb. Thanks!

I really wish there was someone local to me with the JBL 4722's to directly compare them to my 228HT's.
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG
08:53 PM Liked: 348
post #18094 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 5,952
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post

Good evening all!

I certainly hope your week has been fantastic? smile.gif

Perhaps I missed the post, but I see Jeff has put up the 210RT and the 215RT up on his main page.

The 210 look mighty fine for myself. $2499, with 38hz-24khz. I may just end up with these since I also like to listen to music quite a bit. smile.gif

Have a great night!

I bet you'll love them! Good choice!
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27
10:04 PM Liked: 586
post #18095 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 3,279
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

I still don't understand why anyone would want to power a high end speaker with a receiver. Why put a 4 cylinder in a hot rod. Why pay more for a speaker with additional capability just to throttle it back with minimum power for ''just enough'' results?
it's like running a Vette on regular fuel.

I hear this so much though. Why are so many people afraid of external amps?
j2037's Avatar j2037
10:13 PM Liked: 18
post #18096 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 222
Joined: Jan 2009
Built the center T12 stand multi-height adjustable, will post pics after i finished painting it, almost anyone could do it in 30 mins with minimal woodworking skills.
rhed's Avatar rhed
10:17 PM Liked: 224
post #18097 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 1,452
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Does anyone know if this is a good pro amp? May not be a LG but specs seems ok and price too.. thoughts?
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/449593.html

So my friend is a pro dj. And he told me about QSC's. Gotta chance to hear these amp in action. Man, these amps are beastly. Nice clean output. Well considering he's using JBL's. But I'm thinking of picking up one of these after I purchase my speakers. Only thing though. Its all by phoenix connections..
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG
11:11 PM Liked: 348
post #18098 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 5,952
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

So my friend is a pro dj. And he told me about QSC's. Gotta chance to hear these amp in action. Man, these amps are beastly. Nice clean output. Well considering he's using JBL's. But I'm thinking of picking up one of these after I purchase my speakers. Only thing though. Its all by phoenix connections..

You could get 2 RMX 4050's for the same price is that and have more power and not have to deal with those garbage connectors. Unless you can get it for a deep discount.
rhed's Avatar rhed
11:26 PM Liked: 224
post #18099 of 26444
04-09-2014 | Posts: 1,452
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

You could get 2 RMX 4050's for the same price is that and have more power and not have to deal with those garbage connectors. Unless you can get it for a deep discount.

Thanks N8.. I'll check it out..
uopdrmark's Avatar uopdrmark
01:09 AM Liked: 14
post #18100 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 2010
Just thought I'd throw my name in the hat for people looking to sell their 212's. Feel free to PM me
popalock's Avatar popalock
01:32 AM Liked: 937
post #18101 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 4,021
Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

Just thought I'd throw my name in the hat for people looking to sell their 212's. Feel free to PM me
Sup bro... Trying to squeeze in? Trying to undercut me bro?


coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek
02:13 AM Liked: 127
post #18102 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 1,847
Joined: Sep 2011
Ok, i know this is totally the wrong thread, but would like to know how high JTR fellows build their risers for the second row? I am thinking 14 inches. Bad / good??
coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek
02:15 AM Liked: 127
post #18103 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 1,847
Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I think for 6 mil, I would have a nicer looking setup. We are talking 6 million bux! Personally, I do not see how this is 6 million unless it is some type of underground bunker with 24" thick concrete walls or something. Kudos to that guy though for showing off something that we would all enjoy and love to see.

For 6 million dollars, you could buy a huge mansion WITH a home theater in it... and a swimming pool,... and a BMW/Merc, and a couple maids thrown in... and... buy yourself a mail-order-bride...

Alternatively, build a 20 story apartment building, and sit back and collect rent on 100 condo-units...
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich
06:27 AM Liked: 300
post #18104 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 2,220
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Sup bro... Trying to squeeze in? Trying to undercut me bro?


Luv it. Maybe you could arm wrestle him for it tongue.gif
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27
06:30 AM Liked: 586
post #18105 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 3,279
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

Just thought I'd throw my name in the hat for people looking to sell their 212's. Feel free to PM me
You don't know what your getting involved in. tongue.gif
popalock's Avatar popalock
06:54 AM Liked: 937
post #18106 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 4,021
Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Luv it. Maybe you could arm wrestle him for it tongue.gif

Man, I retired from that game weeks ago...! biggrin.gif

I actually went the entire GTG last weekend without having to bring anyone to the table.

Guess it's a good thing Archaea wasn't there because I hear he is looking for redemption...
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27
06:58 AM Liked: 586
post #18107 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 3,279
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Man, I retired from that game weeks ago...! biggrin.gif

I actually went the entire GTG last weekend without having to bring anyone to the table.

Guess it's a good thing Archaea wasn't there because I hear he is looking for redemption…
Somebody did goto the table, I forget who though? Did you see it Pop?
RMK!'s Avatar RMK!
08:17 AM Liked: 432
post #18108 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 6,105
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Ok, i know this is totally the wrong thread, but would like to know how high JTR fellows build their risers for the second row? I am thinking 14 inches. Bad / good??

I used 2"X12"'s with 1/2" ply on top, carpeted with a 6" step. That is all you need to see over the front row so anything 12" or more is enough.
RMK!'s Avatar RMK!
08:29 AM Liked: 432
post #18109 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 6,105
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

I had a chance to listen to RMK!'s new 215's and they are simply jaw dropping! They were so clear and powerful it was shocking frankly. Anyone who has room and can make it work should go for it. You will not be disappointed.

That said, I do not have room and I don't think I would be married if I spent that kind of money on speakers (if she ever found out!). So with that in mind I am planning on replacing some paradigm signature W5's for a new LCR and I am really torn between going JTR 228, 212 or JBL 4722n. The JBL is listed over $1700 but if you call them it is really closer to $1100 which makes it the cheapest of the bunch. I've heard nothing but great reviews about them for movies as that is what they are designed for but not much with music.


JBL 4722n: $1,100 notnyt has them and they seem pretty impressive here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1525580/ht-of-the-month-ultimate-bass specs here: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/387526.html
JTR 228: $1,299
JTR 212: $2,299

I am planning on doing 2 or possibly 4 big ported subs depending on how I can arrange them.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any experience with these options and advice for a newb. Thanks!

Hey Mark. Glad you made it to the GTG and sorry we didn't get a chance to talk. Any speaker that doesn't do music well is questionable because movies are to a large extent the sound track. You need to bring the wife over for a movie night and we will play the system at reasonable levels to give her a taste of Home Theater. My wife doesn't like it loud either (something about it makes her ears hurt or, she's concerned about her hearing or other such nonsense tongue.gif) and so we will keep is safe and sane. That will either grease the skids for you or at least let you know where she stands (as friend or foe) in your HT quest. smile.gif
coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek
10:37 AM Liked: 127
post #18110 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 1,847
Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I used 2"X12"'s with 1/2" ply on top, carpeted with a 6" step. That is all you need to see over the front row so anything 12" or more is enough.

Thanks RMK... I guess it's 14 inch for me then as it's the same height of one of my existing stairs...
uopdrmark's Avatar uopdrmark
11:26 AM Liked: 14
post #18111 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 2010
Thanks for the offer Rob! My wife is pretty into home theater, but at the same time I don't think she really cares about all the details. She just wants it to look big and sound good. She thinks it's ridiculous to keep changing things though, as she feels it is "just fine".

And I'm definitely not looking for any arm wrestling competitions.... Maybe there should be a list and we can sign up for all interested in used 212's. Definitely not trying to step on anyone's turf!
Swolephile's Avatar Swolephile
12:17 PM Liked: 55
post #18112 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 545
Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post





''Feed your speakers...........feed 'em''.
AlexBPM's Avatar AlexBPM
01:03 PM Liked: 14
post #18113 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 2003
Where do you plan to demo the 215's? I am dying to hear these speakers and have been waiting for a GTG or Jeff sanctioned demo smile.gif
carp's Avatar carp
01:09 PM Liked: 624
post #18114 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 5,692
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post




''Feed your speakers...........feed 'em''.


wink.gifsmile.gif
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84
01:16 PM Liked: 272
post #18115 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 4,587
Joined: Dec 2012
how many of you put acoustic panels behind your L&R mains?
coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek
01:59 PM Liked: 127
post #18116 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 1,847
Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

how many of you put acoustic panels behind your L&R mains?

I plan on doing this...
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich
02:02 PM Liked: 300
post #18117 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 2,220
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

how many of you put acoustic panels behind your L&R mains?

I put acoustic panels behind my L & R. They act as bass traps and acoustic panels (they cover a wide range of frequencies and are 4 inches thick).
countryWV's Avatar countryWV
02:10 PM Liked: 155
post #18118 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 1,393
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

how many of you put acoustic panels behind your L&R mains?
I have a pair of 244 traps behind each speaker L C R. It makes a difference and gives XT32 a better starting point in my system.
Chris
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84
02:32 PM Liked: 272
post #18119 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 4,587
Joined: Dec 2012
as far as the panels behind the speakers...I am discussing on the REW thread and it seems they are only necessary if you get measured ETC reflections there. I always 'assumed' it was good. anyway I am just on the methodical panel and trap placement approach and just curious how many of you had panels there or perhaps have placed their panels in respect to measurements and not just where seems good.
countryWV's Avatar countryWV
02:41 PM Liked: 155
post #18120 of 26444
04-10-2014 | Posts: 1,393
Joined: Aug 2011
My T12HTs pick up bass and XT32 sets the XO at 40hz. The panels audibly clean that bass up and XT32 sets the speakers XO at 60hz.
Tags: 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp

Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3