Official JTR speaker thread - Page 619 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7125Likes

Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Same here. I plan on keeping my 2.5 year old Epson 8350 until it dies or there is a lot of 4K content. Looks great to me. Thank god I don't care, I couldn't afford to be as into video as I am audio.
I bought a Samsung LCD TV (D8000) a couple of years ago and I love it. When it is hit with the right content, the TV is incredible, especially sports. I imagine 4K and OLED are something to be seen, but I will get it when they have 6K. I will say that we went to the movies the other night and the movie said it was in 4K, but I have to say it looked horrible. DId not look any better than movies I seen 5 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Nice one Rob! I had to Google that name reference because I didn't know it.

This is what I found on Wikipedia about that character...

"...Stanley and Blanche are left alone in the apartment, and Stanley, drunk and powerful, rapes her. This event, coupled with the fact that Stella does not believe her, sends Blanche over the edge into a nervous breakdown. In the final scene, Blanche is led off to a mental hospital by a matron and a kind-hearted doctor. After a brief struggle, Blanche smilingly acquiesces as she loses all contact with reality, addressing the doctor with the most famous line in the play: "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."

eek.gifbiggrin.gif

I swear I had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that, lol.

Well, at least somebody got it ... wink.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
I have not stopping laughing since I posted...

Thank-you! smile.gif
Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Well I ordered the Denon 4520ci Today. Hit up JDsmoothie before the 1st and you can get the best deal ever! On a new unit from an authorized dealer 3 year warranty and all that stuff.

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Fast moving technology in the video world for sure. Pick a desired feature set and jump in but understand there will be new features, better performance right around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

They sonys only have the 10.8mbps hdmi 2.0 chips, not the 18.2 mbps ones. until they change them, I would steer clear personally.

This is the reason why i am hesitant and having doubts... Everyday I swear I have convinced myself to buy/not to buy it several times.

I have not felt as excited about a new projector as the Sony 4K ones. The Sony 500ES is in video what the JTR 212s are to me in Sound. They both offer great value for almost the absolute best you can get in their own world, ie, sound and vision...

Reasoning for

Buy:

- I can enjoy great looking 1080p movies in upscaled 4K (note: every reviews says the sony's upscale engine is second to none and 1080p movies look a great deal better)
- I can use it for several years, and wait for the next upgrade which is likely to be lasers with greater dynamic range, contrast and light output (will roll out in cinemas first, then home theaters)

Not Buy:

- Buy a cheap, used Panasonic or Epson and wait for the next iteration of the 500ES (which is less than a year away), which would or would not support the next 4K format properly (note: we still have no news when the industry leaders are going to finalize the next 4K bluray format.
- But this is like a waiting game... what if by next year, the 4K format is still not finalized? I could have then enjoyed a far superior projector like the 500ES for a couple years at least then.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Well I ordered the Denon 4520ci Today. Hit up JDsmoothie before the 1st and you can get the best deal ever! On a new unit from an authorized dealer 3 year warranty and all that stuff.

Awesomeness. Please post your review and how you like it powering your JTR speakers. I am gonna be betting that you'll love it...!!! ha!biggrin.gif
Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Awesomeness. Please post your review and how you like it powering your JTR speakers. I am gonna be betting that you'll love it...!!! ha!biggrin.gif

The big upgrade should be going to Audyssey XT32. I have been working on the Center channel height and angle upwards to optimize it to be best possible. I have read XT32 improves the CC quite a bit. I prob won't notice any differences with the amplification power differences. I was trying to get my mind ok with the X4000 but what the heck! I may take my mini dsp out of the setup and see how that goes. I had a falling out with REW last week that makes me never want to use it again. I know my first reflection points on the sidewalls and ceiling are covered by mirror technique so...

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

The big upgrade should be going to Audyssey XT32. I have been working on the Center channel height and angle upwards to optimize it to be best possible. I have read XT32 improves the CC quite a bit. I prob won't notice any differences with the amplification power differences. I was trying to get my mind ok with the X4000 but what the heck! I may take my mini dsp out of the setup and see how that goes. I had a falling out with REW last week that makes me never want to use it again. I know my first reflection points on the sidewalls and ceiling are covered by mirror technique so...

I used the Audyssey XT32 on my Onkyo ONCE, and then turned it off forever.. I hated the sound... I only used their 'distance' measurement which were very accurate, everything else, ie, their curve just did not sit well with me..
Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Same here. I plan on keeping my 2.5 year old Epson 8350 until it dies or there is a lot of 4K content. Looks great to me. Thank god I don't care, I couldn't afford to be as into video as I am audio.

Truth

Quote:

Well, at least somebody got it ... wink.gif

I didn't, I was too busy reading Goosebumps..... biggrin.gif

Quote:

I used the Audyssey XT32 on my Onkyo ONCE, and then turned it off forever.. I hated the sound... I only used their 'distance' measurement which were very accurate, everything else, ie, their curve just did not sit well with me..

Again, TRUTH. At this point I know my distance settings and have tweaked enough that I have gotten better out of just doing the right treatments and such that Audyssey might improve very small areas of the FR, but overall, I really can't take the rest of what it does. Flat ain't for everyone......
Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:

This is the reason why i am hesitant and having doubts... Everyday I swear I have convinced myself to buy/not to buy it several times.

I have not felt as excited about a new projector as the Sony 4K ones. The Sony 500ES is in video what the JTR 212s are to me in Sound. They both offer great value for almost the absolute best you can get in their own world, ie, sound and vision...

Reasoning for

Buy:

- I can enjoy great looking 1080p movies in upscaled 4K (note: every reviews says the sony's upscale engine is second to none and 1080p movies look a great deal better)
- I can use it for several years, and wait for the next upgrade which is likely to be lasers with greater dynamic range, contrast and light output (will roll out in cinemas first, then home theaters)

Not Buy:

- Buy a cheap, used Panasonic or Epson and wait for the next iteration of the 500ES (which is less than a year away), which would or would not support the next 4K format properly (note: we still have no news when the industry leaders are going to finalize the next 4K bluray format.
- But this is like a waiting game... what if by next year, the 4K format is still not finalized? I could have then enjoyed a far superior projector like the 500ES for a couple years at least then.

You being overseas can get the 500ES for $8000 from Japan, us in NA have to pay 12-14K street... if we are lucky. It's a pretty good deal for you, not so good for us. I had a pre-order on the 500ES but once I found out it had the 10.8 chips in it, I cancelled it. If I'm going to invest 12K into a projector, it better have everything lol. I'm still using my Panny AE7000 and I still like it quite a bit. I'm not yet chomping at the bit to upgrade but when I do, it will for sure be a 4K projector.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Coolgeek,

Do you have an a lense? You need one for a curved screen. Just making sure you know.

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Again, TRUTH. At this point I know my distance settings and have tweaked enough that I have gotten better out of just doing the right treatments and such that Audyssey might improve very small areas of the FR, but overall, I really can't take the rest of what it does. Flat ain't for everyone......

I did run a Audyssey cal on my 3313 and the chirps were sooooo much more controlled and it sounded like zero echo at all. But I cant say personally I would be done with Audyssey. Also you can still use Audyssey to EQ and then implement house curve with a mini dsp or something. So I can take the benefits like DEQ since I listen below ref and the general FR flattening and then tweak after.
HTPCat likes this.

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Coolgeek,

Do you have an a lense? You need one for a curved screen. Just making sure you know.

Seymour's curved models can be used without a anamorphic lens and, they have an extra 3 mojos of immersion. smile.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seymour's curved models can be used without a anamorphic lens and, they have an extra 3 mojos of immersion. smile.gif

Quote:

Coolgeek,

RMK is right... according to Seymour, their screens has a curvature of '40 feet diameter' or something like that.. basically a 10 feet wide screen only portrudes out at the sides by about 6 inches... it should work fine without an a-lens.

Also, since I am likely going to get the Sony 500ES with lens memory, i don't need an A-Lens to switch between 16:9 and Scope.

I really, really, really want the curved version.. it'll sooooo cool and sooo much more immersive...

However, Jon from Seymour said they aren't confident of making a masking panel for the curved screen. So, i might have to switch back to regular non-curved ones.. so boring.. tongue.gif
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You being overseas can get the 500ES for $8000 from Japan, us in NA have to pay 12-14K street... if we are lucky. It's a pretty good deal for you, not so good for us. I had a pre-order on the 500ES but once I found out it had the 10.8 chips in it, I cancelled it. If I'm going to invest 12K into a projector, it better have everything lol. I'm still using my Panny AE7000 and I still like it quite a bit. I'm not yet chomping at the bit to upgrade but when I do, it will for sure be a 4K projector.

Amazon is now selling them at about $10K a piece from many sellers... Wait 6 months, and I am pretty confident that prices will hit below 8K new... and you can likely pick one up used for 6K

My prediction that 4K projectors would be below 5K in 2 years is coming true faster than i can imagine... I remember no one believed me that 4K projectors could be below 5K in price in 2 years.. people keep underestimating how fast prices in technology drops...
Old 04-23-2014, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Any recommendations on amps for 3 - 212 Noesis and 4 of the 8 low profiles? I have a marantz 8801 and currently an older 5 channel outlaw audio amp. I would be good with a full a new 7 channel amp or just an amp for the front 3. The current outlaw is not balanced but the Marantz is.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:

Quote:

Coolgeek,

How does that work?

The a lens creates pincushion distortion that the curved screen remedies. With no a lens you have no distortion and the stock projector lens is designed to be used on a flat wall. I gathered from my research on the subject that if you used a curved screen without an anamorphic lense you would not be able to properly focus all areas of the screen at once.

How noticable that is will depend on use case and projector throw distance. Further distance will help in projector mounting, but what I read advised no a lense no curved screen.

Does anyone here have direct experience?

Archaea's FS Thread
Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Any recommendations on amps for 3 - 212 Noesis and 4 of the 8 low profiles? I have a marantz 8801 and currently an older 5 channel outlaw audio amp. I would be good with a full a new 7 channel amp or just an amp for the front 3. The current outlaw is not balanced but the Marantz is.
It seems the concensus is that just about anything with 100w/channel or more will do, depending of course on your expectations for volume and potential desire for "headroom". Even that might be considered overkill by some. Personally, I run 2000w/channel to my 212's and power my surrounds with a Denon 4311. So based on the above that's clearly considered overkill, but I like it that way.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

How does that work?

The a lens creates pincushion distortion that the curved screen remedies. With no a lens you have no distortion and the stock projector lens is designed to be used on a flat wall. I gathered from my research on the subject that if you used a curved screen without an anamorphic lense you would not be able to properly focus all areas of the screen at once.

How noticable that is will depend on use case and projector throw distance. Further distance will help in projector mounting, but what I read advised no a lense no curved screen.

That is how I know it as well.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:

How does that work?

+2. That is what I found when I researched it as well and actually if your throw distance is long enough it's often recommended that you don't even get a curved screen with an a-lens.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, no direct experience but on the Seymour AV site mentions that their modest curve allows those who want to use the zoom method can do this vs using a lens. It may be that you would need to use the pincushion adjustment of the projector and while it doesn't seem ideal, apparently it is possible.

Personally I wouldn't go there as I am very happy with a 138" (diag) flat/fixed screen. I was watching some of Avatar yesterday and it looked fantastic.

BTW, Audyssey off is my new base line (it kills the bass from the 215's). It seems that my Integra (80.3) turns Audyssey on with each power up even though I have turned it off in the menu system. Anyone else encounter this?

Opinions are not facts.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:

http://www.d-sonic.net/products/multichannel-amplifiers/

Or 3 channel http://www.d-sonic.net/products/3-channel-amplifiers/

This B-stock at $1575 is what I paid $2275 for new http://www.d-sonic.net/products/b-stock-and-demo-units/

Chris

Chris
Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:

Sorry, no direct experience but on the Seymour AV site mentions that their modest curve allows those who want to use the zoom method can do this vs using a lens. It may be that you would need to use the pincushion adjustment of the projector and while it doesn't seem ideal, apparently it is possible.

Personally I wouldn't go there as I am very happy with a 138" (diag) flat/fixed screen. I was watching some of Avatar yesterday and it looked fantastic.

BTW, Audyssey off is my new base line (it kills the bass from the 215's). It seems that my Integra (80.3) turns Audyssey on with each power up even though I have turned it off in the menu system. Anyone else encounter this?

Haha, yeah Audyssey turning itself on completely ruined our blind amp GTG last summer at my place. I think it's pretty common with avr's.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sent you a PM ... smile.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amazon is now selling them at about $10K a piece from many sellers... Wait 6 months, and I am pretty confident that prices will hit below 8K new... and you can likely pick one up used for 6K

My prediction that 4K projectors would be below 5K in 2 years is coming true faster than i can imagine... I remember no one believed me that 4K projectors could be below 5K in price in 2 years.. people keep underestimating how fast prices in technology drops...

10k us is 12k Canadian lol. Our money sucks right now vs the US. I 100% agree with prices coming down super fast. I will be excited to see what JVC has in store. Im not a huge fan because their 3d and lag are not good but they throw a beautiful 2d picture...... They say the next gen ones will have better 3d and half the lag!!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know for 100% sure mine doesnt. Do you keep your hdmis active? I know people that dont, the unit has to completely reboot and hit all the defaults, audyssey included. By keeping your HDMI active ( you will have a hdmi light on in the top right corner even when the unit is off) It doesnt turn itself back on.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Quote:

If you have decided against audyssey, I would suggest writing down your settings as you have them now, then resetting the unit however that is done. This erases audyssey completely and you will find it won't re-engage after you switch sources or power down. Now if you run it again after the reset, then the issue will return. Its really the only way I have found to avoid it completely.

Quote:

10k us is 12k Canadian lol. Our money sucks right now vs the US. I 100% agree with prices coming down super fast. I will be excited to see what JVC has in store. Im not a huge fan because their 3d and lag are not good but they throw a beautiful 2d picture...... They say the next gen ones will have better 3d and half the lag!!

As in the 4910, and those on the site, or the ones coming in Dec?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know for 100% sure mine doesnt. Do you keep your hdmis active? I know people that dont, the unit has to completely reboot and hit all the defaults, audyssey included. By keeping your HDMI active ( you will have a hdmi light on in the top right corner even when the unit is off) It doesnt turn itself back on.
How do I "keep the HDMI's active" ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

If you have decided against audyssey, I would suggest writing down your settings as you have them now, then resetting the unit however that is done. This erases audyssey completely and you will find it won't re-engage after you switch sources or power down. Now if you run it again after the reset, then the issue will return. Its really the only way I have found to avoid it completely.
As in the 4910, and those on the site, or the ones coming in Dec?

I have decided against running Audyssey. The bass output and overall sound of the 215's is awesome with Audyssey off. The Rane and JRiver give me all the signal mixing and PEQ/filtering capability I need. I liked having Audyssey set the distances and levels but I found I had to manually re-adjust those anyway based upon the actual distances and my digital SPL meter level readings. I think Audyssey is great for untreated rooms and less complex AVR based systems. Guess I have out grown it ... smile.gif

Unless Nate has a better plan I'll do the reset on the Integra. Thanks to both of you... cool.gif

Opinions are not facts.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do I "keep the HDMI's active" ?
I have decided against running Audyssey. The bass output and overall sound of the 215's is awesome with Audyssey off. The Rane and JRiver give me all the signal mixing and PEQ/filtering capability I need. I liked having Audyssey set the distances and levels but I found I had to manually re-adjust those anyway based upon the actual distances and my digital SPL meter level readings. I think Audyssey is great for untreated rooms and less complex AVR based systems. Guess I have out grown it ... smile.gif

Unless Nate has a better plan I'll do the reset on the Integra. Thanks to both of you... cool.gif

its in the hdmi menu I think, I will look when I get home as Im not 100% sure which menu its in.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

You can always kill audyssey by changing some of the initial speaker setup which should bork the the audyssey settings (and require a new setup if you ever want to use audyssey again) or if you are brave and can remember all of your current settings you can do a reset then audyssey will be off until you run the audyssey setup again. I see others beat me to some of this rolleyes.gif however you may just want to change number of speakers to like add height or subtract something and then see if that kills audyssey (usually audyssey wants to force you to rerun it if you change anything).

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis