Official JTR speaker thread - Page 631 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 7126Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,987
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

After reading about the 215's at AXPONIA I hope the JTR attends the Capital AudioFest in Silver Spring, MD this summer. Would be awesome to see and hear them in person.

I could probably wait until next time I am in KC, Carp will probably have by then. smile.gif


Haha, well I have to admit I left my car out in the driveway during the hail storm yesterday. Back in 2000 I got a check for 3500 for hail damage (the car didn't even look that bad either) so I thought what the hell...that would go a long way towards 215's.

Yes I know, I have a problem. redface.gifbiggrin.gif
Dbuudo07 likes this.
carp is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Haha, well I have to admit I left my car out in the driveway during the hail storm yesterday. Back in 2000 I got a check for 3500 for hail damage (the car didn't even look that bad either) so I thought what the hell...that would go a long way towards 215's.

Yes I know, I have a problem. redface.gifbiggrin.gif

LMAO! that is funny!

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Pain Infliction is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Well, I'm putting in for a patent but I hear they're kind of slow...so hurry up. smile.gif

I might have to do this in my room too....if I can make it work better than my current setup.
COACH2369 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,987
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

LMAO! that is funny!

I checked this morning...no damage. mad.gifbiggrin.gif Maybe next time.
carp is online now  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Lol maybe so. I guess good luck next time?? Lmao

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Pain Infliction is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,292
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

The first time I heard my Triple 12s the Mythos ST system I owned just went down about 50% in resale value. I also realized just what a SUCKER I was for dropping 12 Grand with Definitive Technology to begin with. I was happy as hell with DefTech till JTR showed me what was what so I have to look at it as another wasted audio purchase. That was Nov 2011 and I can still feel the sting. Fortunately that will be the last one thanks to Jeff's products.smile.gif
Chris

Freakin dido! I dropped on a 7 channel DT system then went to Seattle for GTG and stayed at bsoko2's house!

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,429
Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

After reading about the 215's at AXPONIA I hope the JTR attends the Capital AudioFest in Silver Spring, MD this summer. Would be awesome to see and hear them in person.

I could probably wait until next time I am in KC, Carp will probably have by then. smile.gif


Haha, well I have to admit I left my car out in the driveway during the hail storm yesterday. Back in 2000 I got a check for 3500 for hail damage (the car didn't even look that bad either) so I thought what the hell...that would go a long way towards 215's.

Yes I know, I have a problem. redface.gifbiggrin.gif

So that is how you get all your nice gear eh? tongue.gif

I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Archaea is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
thebuckaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Haha, well I have to admit I left my car out in the driveway during the hail storm yesterday. Back in 2000 I got a check for 3500 for hail damage (the car didn't even look that bad either) so I thought what the hell...that would go a long way towards 215's.

Yes I know, I have a problem. redface.gifbiggrin.gif

You sir...have a problem biggrin.gif

Denon 4311ci with Mini DSP and antimode-marantz 5 ch amp-L/R -DIYSOUND tempest towers (40" tall towers-SOLD!)C - DIYSOUND alchemy 8-SOLD!LS/RS-- community D6- MACHTSUB SYSTEM2-SI HST-18 D1 subs in dual 12 cuft ported tuned 16hz-SOLD! Sub amp- Speakerpower SP2-12000
thebuckaman is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post

You sir...have a problem biggrin.gif

Oh my..... I like where your head is on that. wink.gif
COACH2369 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Oh my..... I like where your head is on that. wink.gif

Welcome back Coach...we've missed you. smile.gif

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Haha, well I have to admit I left my car out in the driveway during the hail storm yesterday. Back in 2000 I got a check for 3500 for hail damage (the car didn't even look that bad either) so I thought what the hell...that would go a long way towards 215's.

Yes I know, I have a problem. redface.gifbiggrin.gif

Nice strategy...we all have problems or we wouldn't be here.

___________________________________________
Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
NWCgrad is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,492
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post

You sir...have a problem biggrin.gif
Yes, I agree. He doesn't have nearly enough hail storms!
thebuckaman likes this.
Gooddoc is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,334
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I checked this morning…no damage. mad.gifbiggrin.gif Maybe next time.
Do you guys ever see any twisters?
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post


Feedback time. Right now I have planned to install my side speakers about 6.5-7' up the side wall but that means they will be a predominate fixture sticking out in my living room. Since my room is only about 16' wide, do you think the Slanted 8s installed in an 8' ceiling would be close to the performance of side mounting? Thanks for your feedback.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,334
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Feedback time. Right now I have planned to install my side speakers about 6.5-7' up the side wall but that means they will be a predominate fixture sticking out in my living room. Since my room is only about 16' wide, do you think the Slanted 8s installed in an 8' ceiling would be close to the performance of side mounting? Thanks for your feedback.
Personally, I don't like anything ceiling mounted. But they might be fine for rears.


I gotta say you gotta mighty fine lady there. I can get away with allot, but I know If I started cutting sheetrock and plucking speakers in, she might start swinging.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,492
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Just my personal experience, but I have not been a fan of ceiling mounting in my room. Particularly if you listen to mch, I don't recommend it. But ymmv.
Gooddoc is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Personally, I don't like anything ceiling mounted. But they might be fine for rears.


I gotta say you gotta mighty fine lady there. I can get away with allot, but I know If I started cutting sheetrock and plucking speakers in, she might start swinging.

Haha I had a really good chuckle at this post Dave..lol biggrin.gif
jbrown15 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Welcome back Coach...we've missed you. smile.gif

I stayed away as long as I could...but with all the 215 talk and getting to hear them in about two months, I decided to jump back in. biggrin.gif
COACH2369 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,334
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I stayed away as long as I could…but with all the 215 talk and getting to hear them in about two months, I decided to jump back in. biggrin.gif
I am going to wait myself to hear them next month. I really want to see how much I am gong to gain over my 212's and big subs. I also want to wait till my theater is done. I still have to buy a screen and theater seats, not to mention a small fortune in materials next week frown.gif
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

The first time I heard my Triple 12s the Mythos ST system I owned just went down about 50% in resale value. I also realized just what a SUCKER I was for dropping 12 Grand with Definitive Technology to begin with. I was happy as hell with DefTech till JTR showed me what was what so I have to look at it as another wasted audio purchase. That was Nov 2011 and I can still feel the sting. Fortunately that will be the last one thanks to Jeff's products.smile.gif
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Freakin dido! I dropped on a 7 channel DT system then went to Seattle for GTG and stayed at bsoko2's house!
Add me to the list of former DT/SVS (9.1) owner sold to purchase current JTR/Seaton (5.2) system. DT system: BP2000s LR, CLR3000 C, BPVX X 4 Surrounds & ProMonitor1000s Heights and a SVS PB12 +/2. Sold everything except the ProMonitors which are currently being used as surround duty until I can purchase a pair of slanted 8s. My current 5.2 system (JTR T12s w/Seaton HP+ Master/Slave) blows away the old DT/SVS system biggrin.gif

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is online now  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Feedback time. Right now I have planned to install my side speakers about 6.5-7' up the side wall but that means they will be a predominate fixture sticking out in my living room. Since my room is only about 16' wide, do you think the Slanted 8s installed in an 8' ceiling would be close to the performance of side mounting? Thanks for your feedback.
Have you already purchased the slanted 8s for the sides? If not, why not go with the S8LP? For me, I don't have a right side wall to mount my surround to so it has to be ceiling mounted or plucked on a stand in the middle of the room (wife won't likely go for that). And if I am going to mount one on the ceiling it has to be both and your method will make it much more appealing to my wife wink.gif. Currently have my surrounds ceiling mounted and it sounds very good to me, but I have nothing to compare to.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is online now  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I gotta say you gotta mighty fine lady there. I can get away with allot, but I know If I started cutting sheetrock and plucking speakers in, she might start swinging.

Even better, guess who's going to do most of the drywall patching? I've trained her well after leaving a few holes in the walls for a few months when I ran CAT 6 cable. She finally patched the holes herself. She's pretty good at it too. Oh yeah, when we paint, she does the trim as I don't have the patience. biggrin.gif

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

Have you already purchased the slanted 8s for the sides? If not, why not go with the S8LP? For me, I don't have a right side wall to mount my surround to so it has to be ceiling mounted or plucked on a stand in the middle of the room (wife won't likely go for that). And if I am going to mount one on the ceiling it has to be both and your method will make it much more appealing to my wife wink.gif. Currently have my surrounds ceiling mounted and it sounds very good to me, but I have nothing to compare to.

Already have the Slanted 8s but I'm a woodworker so I could always rebuild them if I wanted to make them long and shallow to fit in-wall. Wouldn't be my first choice but thinking about how big those things are on the wall, I'm considering it. I really like the low profile in the ceiling. When I get them painted, they'll blend into the ceiling pretty well.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,987
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Do you guys ever see any twisters?

No, nothing too close to us.

Even though I have lived in Kansas my whole life I have never seen a tornado - fortunately.
carp is online now  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Timokreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Do you guys ever see any twisters?

I've seen several in my lifetime. I'd much prefer I never see another one in person, nor anybody else see one either.

They're much better to watch in "Twister".


I didn't win the lottery over the weekend. Perhaps I'll win this week, and then order 215's! smile.gif
I wonder what it would sound like with 7 215's doing surround? lol biggrin.gif
Timokreon is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Back at home in Hawaii.. Had a great time in Chicago and the show. Ibrown105, JP, and MS.. Was nice to meet you guys. My family had fun at the Axpona. I think my wife had more fun then I did, lol.. We liked hanging out more at the JTR room towards the ending part of the show. When Jeff stretched out the legs of the 215's just a little, lol. Remember that Ibrown105? Anyway guys, my thoughts on the 215's. Straight answer, no BS..
For all us bass heads. We want bass? The 215's has it. LOTS of it!! For us who just want to listen like low volumes. With dynamics, impactful and separation.. These speakers has all those. And then some. For SPL, well if there wasn't restriction at the hotel, I can't imagine what the 215's would do with a high powered amp. Btw, all this demo that I've heard with the 215's was just a Oppo player and a 80 watt amp.. I'm dead sold.. Jeff, remember I told you that I'll be calling you up on Tuesday.. So remember to pickup your phone.. Wanna get it going.. smile.gif


RMK! and countryWV like this.
rhed is online now  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
ehoeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^^^^
Wish I was there to see these stretched out a bit. I'm gonna have to make a trip to his shop soon and get a full demo
ehoeft is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
OK. Here is a graphical representation of my side surrounds mounted up on the wall versus the ceiling. I wasn't sure the dispersion pattern of the S8s so I used 90 degrees. The loveseat has its back shown in this picture and my seat, the sweet spot is right in the center of the room. Any thoughts on which setup might sound better? Thanks.



David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Just my personal experience, but I have not been a fan of ceiling mounting in my room. Particularly if you listen to mch, I don't recommend it. But ymmv.
what is the specific issue with the ceiling mount?
lbrown105 is offline  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Back at home in Hawaii.. Had a great time in Chicago and the show. Ibrown105, JP, and MS.. Was nice to meet you guys. My family had fun at the Axpona. I think my wife had more fun then I did, lol.. We liked hanging out more at the JTR room towards the ending part of the show. When Jeff stretched out the legs of the 215's just a little, lol. Remember that Ibrown105? Anyway guys, my thoughts on the 215's. Straight answer, no BS..
For all us bass heads. We want bass? The 215's has it. LOTS of it!! For us who just want to listen like low volumes. With dynamics, impactful and separation.. These speakers has all those. And then some. For SPL, well if there wasn't restriction at the hotel, I can't imagine what the 215's would do with a high powered amp. Btw, all this demo that I've heard with the 215's was just a Oppo player and a 80 watt amp.. I'm dead sold.. Jeff, remember I told you that I'll be calling you up on Tuesday.. So remember to pickup your phone.. Wanna get it going.. smile.gif


yeah that was fun especially when we had the Dark Night rolling out bass into the rest of the hotel. That was with only 80 watts. Next time we bring the LG! biggrin.gif Great meeting you and your family and I sent you pm on those brackets too. Look forward to seeing pics after you get the new set up. cheers
lbrown105 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off