Official JTR speaker thread - Page 637 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19081 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I posted the same thing like three weeks ago saying it would be cool to see an LCR version rather then full towers and guys thought I was crazy for suggesting that.....lol

I just thought it would be cool to see some serious bad A$$ LCR's that didn't need to go down to 20hz like the 215RT's but would still give you that "kick you in the chest" mid bass slam. I sure something like that would have way more mid bass then the 212HT's. And you could still use the Cap S2's for the ultra low stuff.

I don't think it is crazy. It was actually the first thing I thought about when I saw the size of the 215RT's. IMO, I feel like I have some adequate subs(3 - DO 18" SI's) which would put me in the category of something more like the 212's. Plus I really can't fit the 215's the way my room is setup right now.. biggrin.gif
COACH2369 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19082 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I don't think it is crazy. It was actually the first thing I thought about when I saw the size of the 215RT's. IMO, I feel like I have some adequate subs(3 - DO 18" SI's) which would put me in the category of something more like the 212's. Plus I really can't fit the 215's the way my room is setup right now.. biggrin.gif
A matching Center channel version of the 215 with a horizontal horn seems to be the next logical step in the line up. Even though it will be smaller in all demensions I would imagine it still costs close to the same price as the 215s. That would be a hefty price tag for LCRs that are not full range capable but it would be a Very nice option for those who are interested. smile.gif
http://salksound.com/soundscape%20series.htm
Salk has matching CC and surround options for each off their Full range speaker Series. I always thought it to be a good way of keeping it in the family for those that want 2 channel full range speakers with matching speakers for home theater option.
Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #19083 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man all of this talk of the new 215's makes me feel like my future purchase of the Noesis 212's is a bad idea.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Diesel 48 is offline  
post #19084 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,957
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Man all of this talk of the new 215's makes me feel like my future purchase of the Noesis 212's is a bad idea.

As long as you have subwoofers, you won't need the 215's.  The 212's are more than fine.  I heard the 228's a few times at a local buddy's theater and they are extremely detailed, so I know the 212's would be great.


The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Social:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #19085 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two DO- 18's right now from the front stage. It will be 90% movies only. Might build two more DO - 18"s for the rear of the room or put them up front as well.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Diesel 48 is offline  
post #19086 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

As long as you have subwoofers, you won't need the 215's.  The 212's are more than fine.  I heard the 228's a few times at a local buddy's theater and they are extremely detailed, so I know the 212's would be great.

I am very happy with my setup....but having 15's in my LCR "HAS" to be better than 12's.... Right?biggrin.gif
COACH2369 is offline  
post #19087 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Man all of this talk of the new 215's makes me feel like my future purchase of the Noesis 212's is a bad idea.
Don't think to much into it. The Noesis 212 is Awesome by any reasonable standard. smile.gif When I purchased my T12s they were the best speaker in the JTR line up. Since then Jeff keeps out doing his self with bigger and better designs. I'm in a constant state of "Speaker Envy". biggrin.gif
Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #19088 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,896
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

I'm been really thinking hard about the premium finish. That Lamborghini Black at the show was very nice. The only thing that worries me is that if I ever start moving them around. And I accidentally put a dent on the finish? I can't imagine trying to touch it up.. Versus touching up the Duratex finish.

My big issue with the premium finish was that they would be behind a screen and so why bother. Now that I am thinking about a powered screen and leaving them exposed much of the time, the piano black would be nice but the Lambo black would be less prone to scratching. When I thought about the maintenance of those finishes, and the general durability issue you described, I'm content with the Duratex. smile.gif

BTW, my HT is going to be Scott Wilkinson's HT of the month and will feature the build and the recent GTG. My HT clearly isn't anywhere near the caliber of dedicated Home Theater built by talented AVS members including some who frequent this Thread. My intent was to have a room I could easily re-purpose if I sold the house. In fact I still feel a bit guilty having that much space and cost dedicated to something I normally use once or twice a week. But one thing I know is that despite the cosmetic deficiencies, my audio system can stand with the very best out there ... and that makes me feel good. smile.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #19089 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
redfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

That sounds like a very cool speaker.... Can you PM me what the price was on the 215M?



Could you also PM the price of the 215M?

smile.gif

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
redfive is offline  
post #19090 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Randy Bessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

I hope this does not get me in trouble so I will probably not check in. I have not heard JTR at its best but I did hear RUR's emerald physics stereo set up in Huntington Beach ca. It is way best I've heard for strereo with jl sub. He is working on updating the sub. Kens systems uses the trinnov for the crossovers. But the the cd treeter of the emeralds is the 500$ JTR tweeter..

Randy, actually the JTR 212HT, 210RT, and top of the line 215RT use the BMS 4593ND 2-way coaxial compression driver, which isn't exactly a tweeter and is over $700 when purchased individually. This 2-way coaxial compression driver plays down to about 500Hz or so and then passes off to 12", 10" and 15" woofers respectively. Using the 212 as an example, the 12" woofers aren't used to play deep but more to try to keep up with the tremendous sensitivity of the BMS 4593ND compression driver.

So the Emerald Physics DSP is actually using Trinnov? Interesting. Thanks for bringing these other speakers to our attention.
got it, I was told the emerald physics uses a $500 BMS coax so different I guess. No, the stock dsp crossover is not trinnov. The trinnov was added by RUR (forum name). It is an expensive add on but his results are superb. That said the emerald physics is open baffle so not so good for home theater. But the thing that is nice about physics is the dynamics like the JTR. In addition not horribly expensive at 5900 a pair.

Really didn't mean to derail your thread. Just an FYI for someone looking to combine a Martin Logan type midrange (dipole) to the dynamics of JTR or Seaton (for stereo system)
Randy Bessinger is offline  
post #19091 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,276
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Focal? Did I see Focal mentioned on page 632 tongue.gif. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the 1027's along with the cc1000 center and chorus surrounds. I obviously think they sound great and it's cool that some of you seemed to have liked Focal as well. I have been unable to really listen to any JTR speakers though. I have been to 2 GTG where they were on the list but I ended up leaving without really listening to them. I do remember that at one of the GTG, they some JTR speakers were playing as I was walking to the door and even in that brief moment, I did like what I heard. I do hope to have a chance to listen to some sort of JTR speakers at some point just to satisfy my curiosity.
OK. Potential de-rail over. I now return you to your regularly scheduled JTR discussions smile.gif.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #19092 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

got it, I was told the emerald physics uses a $500 BMS coax so different I guess. No, the stock dsp crossover is not trinnov. The trinnov was added by RUR (forum name). It is an expensive add on but his results are superb. That said the emerald physics is open baffle so not so good for home theater. But the thing that is nice about physics is the dynamics like the JTR. In addition not horribly expensive at 5900 a pair.

BMS has several compression drivers in that range but if they called it a coax, it could be one of a couple drivers and very likely could be the same as in the JTR 210,212, and 215. If they are buying in bulk, and as a speaker builder that is reasonable, it could definitely be $500 or so.

Obviously this is a JTR thread so JTR is the main brand but Seaton Catalysts and Danley Synergy Horns are also well regarded and have similar dynamic profiles. Seaton and JTR are similar but Seaton builds active speakers with built-in 3-way amplification. Danley builds large venue horn speakers for stadiums and similar but several members have the SH50 and SM60F speakers...there is even talk that Danley will release a dedicated HT version. All of the options you and I are discussing are in the same price range. Haven't heard the Emerald Physics but as you describe, these speakers are all incredibly dynamic with the capability to get louder than most of us should. smile.gif

There's been quite a bit of talk recently about the Danley speakers since Beasts recent GTG. Here are a few threads you could check out if interested. And don't let us bass heads fool you, we know good sound and like articulate, dynamic sound...we just feel that a movie experience should be felt along with heard. smile.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1527862
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1524457
dgage is offline  
post #19093 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,753
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Myself being a auto painter for the last 16 years (yikes I'm only 34 and I've been doing it that long already lol) Both of the auto finishes would easily be worth the extra cost if you were so inclined to get them. It's a ton of work.... That being said, I'm with Rob on this one, I ordered duratex, although scratches could be polished out of either one ( assuming they are using matte clear on the lambo finish) they will need a lot of care to look their best. I've done quite a few subs gloss black, ones the size of the OS and bigger..... It's an awful job and I'm happy it's not me doing it. lol

that being said, I personally HATE matte finishes on anything big, I've done 200K vehicles matte black, blue, red etc and always try to talk the customers out of it.... tongue.gif

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #19094 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Focal? Did I see Focal mentioned on page 632 tongue.gif. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the 1027's along with the cc1000 center and chorus surrounds. I obviously think they sound great and it's cool that some of you seemed to have liked Focal as well. I have been unable to really listen to any JTR speakers though. I have been to 2 GTG where they were on the list but I ended up leaving without really listening to them. I do remember that at one of the GTG, they some JTR speakers were playing as I was walking to the door and even in that brief moment, I did like what I heard. I do hope to have a chance to listen to some sort of JTR speakers at some point just to satisfy my curiosity.
OK. Potential de-rail over. I now return you to your regularly scheduled JTR discussions smile.gif.

My dad bought some Focal Sib XLs when the local stereo store went out of business...he also bought a $3000 Focal 13" sub. After he never really used them, he gave them to me. I never really liked them for music or theater, especially the "music" sub. The Focal sub only playing to 30Hz or so is the reason I came back to AVS. Finding the DIY subs and JTR speakers is why I stayed around....plus the guys on this thread and others are really cool.

As long as you don't come in and talk "stuff", please bring it up if it's even related to JTR. Other speakers are fair game as many of us have had other speakers previously and just happen to like a great speaker in the JTR. As good as JTR is, even fans of it will say it isn't for everyone, good thing there are so many speakers. But if you're looking for high end speaker sound (not necessarily price) I'd say JTR needs to be on your short list. And there are many on this thread within a few hours of you that I'm sure would be glad to host you for a listening session.
dgage is offline  
post #19095 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Myself being a auto painter for the last 16 years (yikes I'm only 34 and I've been doing it that long already lol) Both of the auto finishes would easily be worth the extra cost if you were so inclined to get them. It's a ton of work.... That being said, I'm with Rob on this one, I ordered duratex, although scratches could be polished out of either one ( assuming they are using matte clear on the lambo finish) they will need a lot of care to look their best. I've done quite a few subs gloss black, ones the size of the OS and bigger..... It's an awful job and I'm happy it's not me doing it. lol

that being said, I personally HATE matte finishes on anything big, I've done 200K vehicles matte black, blue, red etc and always try to talk the customers out of it.... tongue.gif

I'm a woodworker and have a nice 4-stage HVLP...it's a lot nicer than my capability to use it. Well I tried to get my two subwoofer enclosures to a gloss black using the HVLP gun. I even went out and bought some 3M Platinum Plus body filler to get it as smooth as possible. I tried a couple gloss paints as well as a nice spray able black lacquer...even tried brush and roller along with the sprayer. I've got everything available at my disposal except for the requisite skill to do a good job. Definitely harder than I expected. All of the sanding I was doing also caused shoulder pain and I had "tennis shoulder" for several weeks. After all of that work, Duratex is looking awfully inviting.

So congrats on being a good painter. My car needs painting...I wish I was closer to see if you'd do it. I haven't been able to find anyone near me to do it...they're either to busy with collision repair or not that good.
dgage is offline  
post #19096 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,276
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I would never bring up "stuff" about other speakers. And I happen to agree with you about that Focal sub. I know exactly which one you are talking about. That is why I use a SubMersive HP. Again, I am not going to muck this thread up. I will just say that I got the Focal's for such a good price, that no matter I look at, if I choose to make a move, it would be hard to make a switch. And the 1027's are light years away from the Sib and Cub setup. Maybe one day I will get the chance to check them out. I like reading other speaker threads just for fun. It's very easy to see that many people hold JTR in very high regard. Just by reading the posts, I am sure that they do sound fantastic.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #19097 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,877
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

As long as you have subwoofers, you won't need the 215's.  The 212's are more than fine.  I heard the 228's a few times at a local buddy's theater and they are extremely detailed, so I know the 212's would be great.

Why do you say that? Clearly the 215's should have quite a bit more mid bass output over the 212's.

In one of the other threads were the 212's are being compared directly to some Danley speakers, it keeps popping up that the Danley's have more mid bass output. I'm sure a speaker like the 215 in a slightly more compact version would crush both speakers in that department.

Even think back to some of the GTG's the Gorilla has hosted, one thing that he says that he loves about he's York U215's is the amount of mid bass they have, which is a clear advantage over the 212's. I really could see a market for a smaller version of the 215RT's. If someone wants the ultimate full range tower they could buy the 215RT's, and if someone wanted the ultimate LCR speaker that would crush just about any other LCR speaker from say 50hz and up they could go with a 215HT.

Almost seems like a win win too me smile.gif
jbrown15 is offline  
post #19098 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,753
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Isn't the smaller version of the 215's the 210's? The 210's should be able to put out more bass/mid-bass than the 212's can.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #19099 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,806
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I hear ya on that one, I have other expensive hobbies though such has dirt bikes, and terrible self control when it comes to expensive watches....lol
So often my HT hobby takes a back seat to the other ones smile.gif

Plus we make it a high priority to travel once or twice a year, quite often to the beautiful Island you live on!....lol

Watches? Really?I like my watches.. I have 2 rolys a pres and a submariner. I just got my wife one a year ago with black pearl face with dia. on the 3,6,12. And dia. Bezel. All genuine brand new with papers from Ben Bridge.. We like traveling too. We travel at least 2-3 times a year. Flying out from Hawaii is fun. Because we get to experience the difference in climate at different places. Hawaii is just one type of weather temperature year round. We don't have the 4 season. Lol..


I'm a little late to the party. My wife has one of those gold and SS models and I have a GMT Master II that she gave me when I first started flying international 21 years ago. They're both going strong. smile.gif

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
buzzard767 is online now  
post #19100 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Isn't the smaller version of the 215's the 210's? The 210's should be able to put out more bass/mid-bass than the 212's can.

When Jeff and I talked about my proposed order. I asked him if the 212's would be a good match. He told me he had a different design that would be better. So he explained the details of the cc. After I put my orders in, in my invoice its labeled as 215RM. Which will be my CC.
rhed is offline  
post #19101 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,896
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I would never bring up "stuff" about other speakers. And I happen to agree with you about that Focal sub. I know exactly which one you are talking about. That is why I use a SubMersive HP. Again, I am not going to muck this thread up. I will just say that I got the Focal's for such a good price, that no matter I look at, if I choose to make a move, it would be hard to make a switch. And the 1027's are light years away from the Sib and Cub setup. Maybe one day I will get the chance to check them out. I like reading other speaker threads just for fun. It's very easy to see that many people hold JTR in very high regard. Just by reading the posts, I am sure that they do sound fantastic.

Hey Mike,

Good to see you here. During my "Revel Phase" the 1027's were on my short list. Great speakers and for your room size and use, they are a great choice. The JTR advantage isn't so much sound quality as much as effortless un-distorted playing at reference and above with very little power. Your Focals have great detail and imaging but if you try and play Metallica ( or pick you poison tongue.gif) at concert levels, they simply can't do it. That limitation doesn't bother most people as sane folks don't listen at concert levels often. But on those occasions when you want to "blow out the cobwebs" you can do so without worry of your tweeters landing in your lap. smile.gif

The HT dynamics are also in another league but again, you don't miss what you haven't heard ... wink.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #19102 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,896
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Isn't the smaller version of the 215's the 210's? The 210's should be able to put out more bass/mid-bass than the 212's can.

+1 and no ones even heard that speaker ... biggrin.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #19103 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Im sitting in this parking lot waiting for the wife to be done at the store..Dang I wish I was back in Chicago. . Only to come back with rainy weather and overcast. Feels like Chicago. Well except for the cold..lol


Yeah, I feel awful for you.smile.gif I'm headed to a sox game in 50 degree weather, i wish I was in Hawaii.

hogues is offline  
post #19104 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,276
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Hey Mike,

Good to see you here. During my "Revel Phase" the 1027's were on my short list. Great speakers and for your room size and use, they are a great choice. The JTR advantage isn't so much sound quality as much as effortless un-distorted playing at reference and above with very little power. Your Focals have great detail and imaging but if you try and play Metallica ( or pick you poison tongue.gif) at concert levels, they simply can't do it. That limitation doesn't bother most people as sane folks don't listen at concert levels often. But on those occasions when you want to "blow out the cobwebs" you can do so without worry of your tweeters landing in your lap. smile.gif

The HT dynamics are also in another league but again, you don't miss what you haven't heard ... wink.gif
Hey Rob. I agree with the effortless part. I can play music and movies loud enough for me without really hearing any strain. But there was a time when Craig came over and we were really pushing my system. I mean, way beyond what I would do on a regular basis and Craig said he heard breakup. Now TBH, I did not hear it. For me though, I can through on some Candlebox or TOOL and play it loud enough for me. I am so far from reference in my room with these speakers it's not even funny. I should measure how loud I think loud is in my room and just see what it is. I know for movies that anything above 105-110 is really loud. Even when I play concert BR or DVD's I am sure I am not near concert levels. But I am cool with it. In my room my "system" gets loud enough for me to really enjoy it.

Now I can also appreciate what full reference can give you. I have never heard a system like I have when I go over to Craig's house. I don't know the SPL level we reach but I do know that we turned the the level to -3db and it was freaking fantastic. Plus I had no ear pain or fatigue. So I do understand why so many people like these high sensitive, well made speakers. So I have heard it and I am in awe of it.
P.S thanks for not booting me out tongue.gif.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #19105 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I would never bring up "stuff" about other speakers. And I happen to agree with you about that Focal sub. I know exactly which one you are talking about. That is why I use a SubMersive HP. Again, I am not going to muck this thread up. I will just say that I got the Focal's for such a good price, that no matter I look at, if I choose to make a move, it would be hard to make a switch. And the 1027's are light years away from the Sib and Cub setup. Maybe one day I will get the chance to check them out. I like reading other speaker threads just for fun. It's very easy to see that many people hold JTR in very high regard. Just by reading the posts, I am sure that they do sound fantastic.

Mike,

RMK was able to use his experience with yours and similar speakers to state more eloquently the difference between the JTR and similar speakers compared to "normal" speakers. I consider normal to be more conventional speakers that don't have a pro audio background. Also, I hope you'll stick around the JTR thread as it is an informative and entertaining thread with a bunch of great guys.

David
dgage is offline  
post #19106 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I really want to make an attempt and call Jeff about the 215 options that might be out there, but I am afraid of what he might tell me.

My guess(and for the record, I am merely a novice in my knowledge of the technical end of things)is that a 215 that is designed just like the 212's but with the different horn would compete well with the Danleys and Yorkville speakers previous posts have referenced.

Midbass has always been the one area that I thought I could improve upon in my room.

This could be achieved by re-working the current EQ in room, possibly adding some MBM or perhaps an upcoming 215HT...biggrin.gif

Realistically, I am not in the position to drop the dough on what it would cost for these speakers...minus selling my Noesis speakers.

That is why I am hesitant to call him at this point....might wait until the GTG in June to talk to him...

In the meantime, I shall start selling anything I don't need...biggrin.gif:D
COACH2369 is offline  
post #19107 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I really want to make an attempt and call Jeff about the 215 options that might be out there, but I am afraid of what he might tell me.

My guess(and for the record, I am merely a novice in my knowledge of the technical end of things)is that a 215 that is designed just like the 212's but with the different horn would compete well with the Danleys and Yorkville speakers previous posts have referenced.

Midbass has always been the one area that I thought I could improve upon in my room.

This could be achieved by re-working the current EQ in room, possibly adding some MBM or perhaps an upcoming 215HT...biggrin.gif

Realistically, I am not in the position to drop the dough on what it would cost for these speakers...minus selling my Noesis speakers.

That is why I am hesitant to call him at this point....might wait until the GTG in June to talk to him...

In the meantime, I shall start selling anything I don't need...biggrin.gif:D

Midbass is my only real issue with the 212s as well. I wonder if there might be a better 12" driver that we could use for those of us that want a little more output from our 212s. That might actually be a better route to take than getting a 215RM. I wonder if Jeff would be open to that line of discussion.
dgage is offline  
post #19108 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,753
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

When Jeff and I talked about my proposed order. I asked him if the 212's would be a good match. He told me he had a different design that would be better. So he explained the details of the cc. After I put my orders in, in my invoice its labeled as 215RM. Which will be my CC.

I was more commenting on how people are wondering about a sealed 215. Instead of a sealed 215, it seems like the 210 was developed for that exact reason. I didn't mean anything about the center.

I'll be interested to see what the new center looks like! Jeff said to me the new sub drivers wouldn't be in until the end of May.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #19109 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,276
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Mike,

RMK was able to use his experience with yours and similar speakers to state more eloquently the difference between the JTR and similar speakers compared to "normal" speakers. I consider normal to be more conventional speakers that don't have a pro audio background. Also, I hope you'll stick around the JTR thread as it is an informative and entertaining thread with a bunch of great guys.

David
I got you. Like I said, I like hanging around other forums just to see what is out there. I would say that you are right in that my speakers are more "normal". When people typically think of a speaker for music they probably have a vision in their head that resembles my speaker more then the JTR speakers. I am not saying the JTR's can't do music because clearly from the posts here, they can. My speakers are probably looked at as music speakers that can also be used in a HT environment. The JTR's, as you say, look like they come from a more professional audio background. That's cool. I have no illusions that my speakers can compete with the JTR offerings in dynamics and holding together at much higher levels then my speakers can. But, it's a compromise I have been willing to live with because as I said in my room, the dynamics are enough for me. And thanks for letting me hang out in the deep end of the pool biggrin.gif.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #19110 of 23974 Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Midbass is my only real issue with the 212s as well. I wonder if there might be a better 12" driver that we could use for those of us that want a little more output from our 212s. That might actually be a better route to take than getting a 215RM. I wonder if Jeff would be open to that line of discussion.

Might be a better way.....but I am also curious about the new horn.
COACH2369 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off