Official JTR speaker thread - Page 657 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6928Likes

Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

That is a crazy amount of midbass boost. listening that way do you like how it sounds?
Well I didn't show it with the subs so when the subs are added it keeps climbing another 10bB until 30hz where it flattens out to about 18hz. For music yes it sounds great if the bass decay is fast at least down to 40hz. For movies I am much flatter with only about 7-8db boost for bass/ midbass. Now you know why I can't wait to get the LG hooked up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Thanks guys. We'll see how it goes as this is my first and last theater build. The theater is smallish, 12.75' x 23' x 8.75' as I'm a victim of foundation walls so I live with what I have. I have limited experience with audio calibration although I've spent enough time with REW and a meter to have learned the basics and I have a bunch of GIK room treatments waiting for installation. All the recent 215 posts have me insanely jealous but then again I really don't have the room so it's easy to mentally negotiate with myself. rolleyes.gif

As an aside, Jeff offered to drive the speakers up to Wausau in his van last week. I had to turn him down as he would have been arriving in the dark, it's new construction with lots of mud, and I had no place to house him. Hopefully I'll meet him later….
Haha, I have seen the big red JTR van. I don't know why but I snapped a pic at a GTG a while back when we were loading up my new Noesis after a great day of demoing.

Yeah I am building my room as well. I have made allot of cuts to the room, so it is really just going to be more a less a media at this point, but I am happy to have a place to call my own. Depending on what we are doing with this house, I am planning on moving to central PA in a couple of years and the home has plenty of room for my dream theater and hopefully I will have a better selection of contractors there to help build it. Will all depend how much more I invest into this room. Went to Lowes last night and got my lumber and materials, even got a few batches of Rouxl even though people say it is not worth it. Still seemed to be about the same price, so why not. Hoping to get full swinging this afternoon.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Haha, I have seen the big red JTR van. I don't know why but I snapped a pic at a GTG a while back when we were loading up my new Noesis after a great day of demoing.

Yeah I am building my room as well. I have made allot of cuts to the room, so it is really just going to be more a less a media at this point, but I am happy to have a place to call my own. Depending on what we are doing with this house, I am planning on moving to central PA in a couple of years and the home has plenty of room for my dream theater and hopefully I will have a better selection of contractors there to help build it. Will all depend how much more I invest into this room. Went to Lowes last night and got my lumber and materials, even got a few batches of Rouxl even though people say it is not worth it. Still seemed to be about the same price, so why not. Hoping to get full swinging this afternoon.
btw that red van is no more. Jeff got a new vehicle and the 215's fit nicely in his new ride. I know because I helped him load them after Axpona.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
JTR party bus?

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I didn't realize lowes sells Roxul, will have to check that out.

Thanks!

JTR (3 215 RT, 3 212HTR, 2 228HT, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
Klipsch (All for sale! 2 pair Cornwalls, 3 pair Forte's 1 pair Heresy's)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I didn't realize lowes sells Roxul, will have to check that out.

Thanks!

Lowes actually carries 2 flavors of Roxul - both are available in common widths of supporting 16 and 24 centers:

Comfort batts - geared toward thermal insulation but with significant acoustic properties as well
Safe N Sound - geared toward acoustic insulation/absorption

I like working with Roxul as it's super easy to cut and causes far less irritation vs. pink fluffy. It's also virtually fireproof.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Lowes actually carries 2 flavors of Roxul - both are available in common widths of supporting 16 and 24 centers:

Comfort battts - geared toward thermal insulation but with significant acoustic properties as well

I like working with Roxul as it's super easy to cut and causes far less irritation vs. pink fluffy.

Great!

I plan on making some acoustical panels with this.

JTR (3 215 RT, 3 212HTR, 2 228HT, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
Klipsch (All for sale! 2 pair Cornwalls, 3 pair Forte's 1 pair Heresy's)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Great!

I plan on making some acoustical panels with this.

The 3" Safe N Sound does very well, especially compared with the 'industry standard' owens corning 703 in 2" panels. Here are the absorption coefficients for each - the higher the number the higher absorption:

An 8 pack of Safe N sound in 23x47x3 batts goes for about 50 bucks by me. Right now if you look around lowes has 10 off 50 coupons too. Not a bad deal considering the commercial alternatives. smile.gif
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I made all of my panels out of Roxul smile.gif I got 2x24x48 twelve pacls for like 55

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

JTR party bus?
Exactly, we need to get the JTR touring bus. Start in North America with a vision for global in 3-5 yrs. yes Coolgeek SE Asia is a given!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Comfort batts - geared toward thermal insulation but with significant acoustic properties as well

I like working with Roxul as it's super easy to cut and causes far less irritation vs. pink fluffy. It's also virtually fireproof.
Yep, this is true! My store did not have much and they only had 16" in both Safe & Sound and Comfort Batts. I did not see any 24".

I was bummed because they stopped selling Quiet Rock. Considering that I am not sound proofing my room, I planned on the next best thing which was using Quite Rock. Not sure
if all stores discontinued it or just mine.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
$46 for $60 square feet.

Gorilla83, what did you cut it with? I know that stuff was an amazing difference in your shed the couple times I visited. Once with it up, once before it was up. It was remarkable!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=305816-1278-RXSS31525&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3394032

Archaea's FS Thread
Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

$46 for $60 square feet.

Gorilla83, what did you cut it with? I know that stuff was an amazing difference in your shed the couple times I visited. Once with it up, once before it was up. It was remarkable!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=305816-1278-RXSS31525&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3394032

I just use a wallboard saw when I cut it. I'm making some ceiling panels and retrofitting some foam wall panels with it and it's so much easier than pink fluffy.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$46 for $60 square feet.

Prices seem to be the same in store as I paid $37 clams for the comfort batt.

First day of construction.. Got one wall done today. 3 windows out! Should have the wall papered and sided by dusk. It is finally for real. I know one thing, I almost had a cardiac when I went to buy the siding today to patch my windows. I would have been very close to my new 7 channel amp. eek.gif

--
Old 05-21-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

Exactly, we need to get the JTR touring bus. Start in North America with a vision for global in 3-5 yrs. yes Coolgeek SE Asia is a given!

I turned down Jeff's offer to drive then up personally and it's for the better due to the present landscape around the new house.

Christmas came early this year.

Good thing my builder has lots of equipment.

That's my bar in the background with the theater through the lighted doorway beyond....

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
CalMAN Ultimate license FS

Old 05-21-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That is an awesome delivery for sure! I'm hoping to have Coach's 212ht's delivered sometime next week.

On another note, is the Roxul from Lowes stiff enough for hanging panels or is it only stiff enough for in wall placement?

FS: Three JTR 212HT's. SOLD
FS: JTR S2. SOLD
FS: NHT ClassicTwo LCR http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...-twoc-lcr.html
Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I turned down Jeff's offer to drive then up personally and it's for the better due to the present landscape around the new house.

Nice! looks like mine! However I have dual PSA Triax subs. I was full throttle for the S2's, but PSA gave me a great trade in offer. They are just as wicked though.
Have fun, much enjoyment ahead!
Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Looking good Buzz. I'm anxious to see the finished room. cool.gif
Quote:

Opinions are not facts.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

That is an awesome delivery for sure! I'm hoping to have Coach's 212ht's delivered sometime next week.

On another note, is the Roxul from Lowes stiff enough for hanging panels or is it only stiff enough for in wall placement?

Well I'll be helping him pack and ship them this week. Glad they're going to a good home.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:

Awesome pic Buzz. I had to fight a little jealousy there for a minute until I realized I pretty much have the same setup except for DIY subs instead of the S2s. Will be a fantastic system. Congrats!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:

That's my bar in the background with the theater through the lighted doorway beyond....

Nice, nice, nice.. Just watch out for those S2's.. You don't want to get any structural damage. Especially in that new home of yours. Believe me!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Looking good Buzz. I'm anxious to see the finished room. cool.gif

I'll post but not much to see - it's ALL black except the screen.

Buzz

Old 05-21-2014, 06:55 PM
J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Nice, nice, nice.. Just watch out for those S2's.. You don't want to get any structural damage. Especially in that new home of yours. Believe me!

Hmmm.......

Build a new house and roll " the system " into the mortgage . I only got a new riding lawn mower out of the last house we built biggrin.gif

Samsung 55 inch lcd
Marantz sr5400
Parasound HCA 1500
Parasound HCA 1000
JTR OS LFU
Paradigm studio 40's -fronts
Paradigm CC
Paradigm atoms -rear
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post

Build a new house and roll " the system " into the mortgage . I only got a new riding lawn mower out of the last house we built biggrin.gif

I'm sort of a cheap SOB and the real estate taxes in my little Wisconsin town are three times what I was paying in Naples so I'm paying cash for everything and the tax man (hopefully) will only see what I paid the builder. eek.gif
countryWV likes this.

Buzz

Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 PM
J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm sort of a cheap SOB and the real estate taxes in my little Wisconsin town are three times what I was paying in Naples so I'm paying cash for everything and the tax man (hopefully) will only see what I paid the builder. eek.gif

That's the way to do it ! We did tile , garage doors , granite counters , painting , landscape , driveway , deck and well and septic "out of pocket "

Samsung 55 inch lcd
Marantz sr5400
Parasound HCA 1500
Parasound HCA 1000
JTR OS LFU
Paradigm studio 40's -fronts
Paradigm CC
Paradigm atoms -rear
Old 05-21-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:

$46 for $60 square feet.

my 2 inch thick Roxul panels cut perfect with a nice pair of scissors.

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 99

Any suggestions on a minidsp? Pretty new to REW and have two subs but will probably get 2 more. lots of options. 

Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

Wow... nice complete set. Can't get much better than this
Old 05-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimectrs View Post

Any suggestions on a minidsp? Pretty new to REW and have two subs but will probably get 2 more. lots of options. 

I just got the NanoAVR and so far I like it. Take a look at the thread below. There were a few issues with HDMI handshake but it looks like I figured out my issues. I just made the last post in the following thread that shows my results.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1528209

You also want to pick up a UMIK-1 USB microphone if you are going to use REW. You might want to pick it up in the US from Cross-Spectrum(http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html) for 2 reasons. 1. It comes with a 90 degree calibration so you can point it directly at the speaker or straight up in the air (more for subs). 2. Since MiniDSP is based in Hong Kong, if you purchase it from them and get above a certain point, you might have to pay a customs tax. I did when I bought the MiniDSP 10x10 a year ago.

If you have multiple subs, you might want to think about getting a MiniDSP 2x4 so you can have more control over each individual sub. Helpful if you have dissimilar subs that need to go to different amps. May not be needed depending on your receiver/preamp.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis