Official JTR speaker thread - Page 661 - AVS Forum
First ... 659  660  661 662  663  ... Last
Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 06:47 PM 05-21-2014
Looking good Buzz. I'm anxious to see the finished room. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I turned down Jeff's offer to drive then up personally and it's for the better due to the present landscape around the new house.

Christmas came early this year.

Good thing my builder has lots of equipment.

dgage's Avatar dgage 07:08 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

That is an awesome delivery for sure! I'm hoping to have Coach's 212ht's delivered sometime next week.

On another note, is the Roxul from Lowes stiff enough for hanging panels or is it only stiff enough for in wall placement?

Well I'll be helping him pack and ship them this week. Glad they're going to a good home.
dgage's Avatar dgage 07:11 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:

Awesome pic Buzz. I had to fight a little jealousy there for a minute until I realized I pretty much have the same setup except for DIY subs instead of the S2s. Will be a fantastic system. Congrats!
rhed's Avatar rhed 07:27 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:

I turned down Jeff's offer to drive then up personally and it's for the better due to the present landscape around the new house.

That's my bar in the background with the theater through the lighted doorway beyond....

Nice, nice, nice.. Just watch out for those S2's.. You don't want to get any structural damage. Especially in that new home of yours. Believe me!
buzzard767's Avatar buzzard767 07:30 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Looking good Buzz. I'm anxious to see the finished room. cool.gif

I'll post but not much to see - it's ALL black except the screen.
J's Avatar J 07:55 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Nice, nice, nice.. Just watch out for those S2's.. You don't want to get any structural damage. Especially in that new home of yours. Believe me!

Hmmm.......

Build a new house and roll " the system " into the mortgage . I only got a new riding lawn mower out of the last house we built biggrin.gif
buzzard767's Avatar buzzard767 08:15 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post

Build a new house and roll " the system " into the mortgage . I only got a new riding lawn mower out of the last house we built biggrin.gif

I'm sort of a cheap SOB and the real estate taxes in my little Wisconsin town are three times what I was paying in Naples so I'm paying cash for everything and the tax man (hopefully) will only see what I paid the builder. eek.gif
J's Avatar J 08:38 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:

I'm sort of a cheap SOB and the real estate taxes in my little Wisconsin town are three times what I was paying in Naples so I'm paying cash for everything and the tax man (hopefully) will only see what I paid the builder. eek.gif

That's the way to do it ! We did tile , garage doors , granite counters , painting , landscape , driveway , deck and well and septic "out of pocket "
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 09:04 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

$46 for $60 square feet.

Gorilla83, what did you cut it with? I know that stuff was an amazing difference in your shed the couple times I visited. Once with it up, once before it was up. It was remarkable!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=305816-1278-RXSS31525&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3394032

my 2 inch thick Roxul panels cut perfect with a nice pair of scissors.
jaimectrs's Avatar jaimectrs 10:36 PM 05-21-2014

Any suggestions on a minidsp? Pretty new to REW and have two subs but will probably get 2 more. lots of options. 

coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek 12:49 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:

That's my bar in the background with the theater through the lighted doorway beyond....

Wow... nice complete set. Can't get much better than this
dgage's Avatar dgage 02:16 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimectrs View Post

Any suggestions on a minidsp? Pretty new to REW and have two subs but will probably get 2 more. lots of options. 

I just got the NanoAVR and so far I like it. Take a look at the thread below. There were a few issues with HDMI handshake but it looks like I figured out my issues. I just made the last post in the following thread that shows my results.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1528209

You also want to pick up a UMIK-1 USB microphone if you are going to use REW. You might want to pick it up in the US from Cross-Spectrum(http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html) for 2 reasons. 1. It comes with a 90 degree calibration so you can point it directly at the speaker or straight up in the air (more for subs). 2. Since MiniDSP is based in Hong Kong, if you purchase it from them and get above a certain point, you might have to pay a customs tax. I did when I bought the MiniDSP 10x10 a year ago.

If you have multiple subs, you might want to think about getting a MiniDSP 2x4 so you can have more control over each individual sub. Helpful if you have dissimilar subs that need to go to different amps. May not be needed depending on your receiver/preamp.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 07:28 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I just got the NanoAVR and so far I like it. Take a look at the thread below. There were a few issues with HDMI handshake but it looks like I figured out my issues. I just made the last post in the following thread that shows my results.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1528209

You also want to pick up a UMIK-1 USB microphone if you are going to use REW. You might want to pick it up in the US from Cross-Spectrum(http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html) for 2 reasons. 1. It comes with a 90 degree calibration so you can point it directly at the speaker or straight up in the air (more for subs). 2. Since MiniDSP is based in Hong Kong, if you purchase it from them and get above a certain point, you might have to pay a customs tax. I did when I bought the MiniDSP 10x10 a year ago.

If you have multiple subs, you might want to think about getting a MiniDSP 2x4 so you can have more control over each individual sub. Helpful if you have dissimilar subs that need to go to different amps. May not be needed depending on your receiver/preamp.
How do you know how to set all those functions? I was watching the video and I was lost in 3 minutes?
dgage's Avatar dgage 09:08 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

How do you know how to set all those functions? I was watching the video and I was lost in 3 minutes?

I started to respond here but I wrote way too much. So pop on over to the official NanoAVR thread and you will see your response. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1528209/nanoavr-8x8-hdmi-audio-processor-official-thread/90#post_24747406
coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek 09:15 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I started to respond here but I wrote way too much. So pop on over to the official NanoAVR thread and you will see your response. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1528209/nanoavr-8x8-hdmi-audio-processor-official-thread/90#post_24747406

Spent another few hours with the sony 500es projector. Did a lot of 3d testing. The projector was zoomed out to 10 feet wide screen and 3d was still excellent. At 12 feet wide 3d is too dim but 2d was still ultra bright.

Watching gravity in 3d with a 10 feet wide screen was awesome. We were standing literally 6 feet from the screen and it feels like you are in space. Black was pure black and the scenes were incredible. Picture were smoothe even if you stand a foot away.

However we were using a very high quality screen that have very accurate colors and contrast. Alas such screens don't come in acoustic transparency. I hope my eventual xd screen won't be too far off. Black on AT screens won't even come close to this screen.
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 09:44 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Spent another few hours with the sony 500es projector. Did a lot of 3d testing. The projector was zoomed out to 10 feet wide screen and 3d was still excellent. At 12 feet wide 3d is too dim but 2d was still ultra bright.

Watching gravity in 3d with a 10 feet wide screen was awesome. We were standing literally 6 feet from the screen and it feels like you are in space. Black was pure black and the scenes were incredible. Picture were smoothe even if you stand a foot away.

However we were using a very high quality screen that have very accurate colors and contrast. Alas such screens don't come in acoustic transparency. I hope my eventual xd screen won't be too far off. Black on AT screens won't even come close to this screen.

I hope I never become a videophile ... too expensive ... tongue.gifwink.gif
coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek 09:49 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:

I hope I never become a videophile ... too expensive ... tongue.gifwink.gif

I am a moviephile so I need to balance my budget between audio and video. The cost of the sony 500es plus screen is equal to my jtr speakers

Have you had a chance to spend some quality time with the 500es? You might just change your mind. It's the only projector that I can watch 3d on currently. Other than imax that is..
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 10:47 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

I am a moviephile so I need to balance my budget between audio and video. The cost of the sony 500es plus screen is equal to my jtr speakers

Have you had a chance to spend some quality time with the 500es? You might just change your mind. It's the only projector that I can watch 3d on currently. Other than imax that is..

I'm thinking 3D is a novelty and seems to be loosing traction. With light control, the 2D performance of my Sony HW-50ES on my 120" wide 16:9 screen is really good. At least, good enough to wait till something significantly better to comes along. Besides, I shot this years HT budget on the 215RT's. smile.gif
coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek 10:57 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:

I'm thinking 3D is a novelty and seems to be loosing traction. With light control, the 2D performance of my Sony HW-50ES on my 120" wide 16:9 screen is really good. At least, good enough to wait till something significantly better to comes along. Besides, I shot this years HT budget on the 215RT's. smile.gif

Hahaha.. i think i shot my budget for HT for many, many years to come... BTW: since you already have the 55ES, that should tide you over a couple years at least before a real good, matured 4K projector comes into play (one with actual HDMI 2.0 standars, 4k blu-ray format, 60fps, higher light output, and much faster lag time, and almost certain to be under 5K)

Anyways, I think 3D is here to stay.. the reason why most people didn't like them are as follows:

1. Normal Cinemas aren't immerssive enough.. their screen is too small and it's not conducive to watching 3D. I almost never choose to watch 3D on anything other than Imax.
2. Other than the Sony 4K projector, I have yet to audition one that is 'good enough' for 3D images. Even TVs aren't good. Too much cross-talk, etc, etc... the Sony 4K changes all that.. the 3D is as smooth as i have seen and it's eye candy. I watched quite a few movies demo with 3D and i loved the 3D on the 500ES.
3. Even on Imax, the light of 3D is still too dim... and i think this is one of the biggest factor... with lasers on the horizon, that'll be solved. And with 4K plus Lasers, plus Imax screen sizes, i think 3D would be the mainstay..
4. Most 3Ds are post production... to be honest, compared to Avatar, those are really lacking.. but i still like them on the Imax though...

But i think all of the above will be fixed in the next year or two as:

- Lasers come into play with ultra high brightness
- 4K format
- High Frame Rates
- Imax sized screens.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 11:07 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

$46 for $60 square feet.

Gorilla83, what did you cut it with? I know that stuff was an amazing difference in your shed the couple times I visited. Once with it up, once before it was up. It was remarkable!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=305816-1278-RXSS31525&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3394032

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

my 2 inch thick Roxul panels cut perfect with a nice pair of scissors.

I used a serrated bread knife with a straight edge and it couldn't be much easier. biggrin.gif I was going so fast at one point I nearly took the tip of my finger off. eek.gif
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 12:25 PM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I used a serrated bread knife with a straight edge and it couldn't be much easier. biggrin.gif I was going so fast at one point I nearly took the tip of my finger off. eek.gif
I second this, a bread knife should be the tool of choice for the installation.
uopdrmark's Avatar uopdrmark 12:27 PM 05-22-2014
Is that roxul from lowes pretty stiff or will it sag over time? I'm just wondering if it would work well for acoustic panels vs in the walls.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 12:49 PM 05-22-2014
Quote:

Is that roxul from lowes pretty stiff or will it sag over time? I'm just wondering if it would work well for acoustic panels vs in the walls.

I have not worked with Safe N Sound, but the comfort batts are not stiff like rigid fiberboard is. They would work best framed with lumber and wrapped in the fabric of your choice.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 01:17 PM 05-22-2014
Quote:

Here is a group of videos, so you can get a idea of what Safe and Sound is and how to use it. I like the fact that it does not burn. I also liked the idea of using it in my theater room considering the wires and electronics and such. Just added safety.

uopdrmark's Avatar uopdrmark 01:22 PM 05-22-2014
Ok. I can't remember what insulation it was but I helped my brother build some panels for a studio and after a few weeks you could start to see the material inside the wood frame wrapped in fabric slumping into the fabric. We used a lot of spay adhesive but they still ended up slumping which ends up looking kinda ugly over time.
uopdrmark's Avatar uopdrmark 01:26 PM 05-22-2014
Nice videos! That stuff looks fairly stiff as long as it's within a frame it doesn't look like it would slump. Is it worth going with a more rigid material though just in case for acoustic panels?
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 01:52 PM 05-22-2014
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 02:00 PM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

20140522_101600.jpg 2025k .jpg file

Well lookie what I found!

Those are a beautiful thing......

Can only wait until I get to put a picture of mine up.. biggrin.gif
dgage's Avatar dgage 02:16 PM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Those are a beautiful thing......

Can only wait until I get to put a picture of mine up.. biggrin.gif

Reminds me how big those things are. Coach, I think my back will be hurting when you receive yours. Just kidding...I can't wait to be one of the first to hear yours.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 02:20 PM 05-22-2014
I'm coming! I don't care when it is smile.gif
Tags: 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
First ... 659  660  661 662  663  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop