Official JTR speaker thread - Page 682 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20431 of 26058 Old 06-06-2014, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wouldn't you just angle them down a bit? Also the second row of seats would be a on 12" riser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20432 of 26058 Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

That'd have been me biggrin.gif. The largest reason I went with the Cats, though, was because they could be crossed lower. While they may sacrifice a little efficiency to gain a lower x-over setting, they are still more efficient than I'll ever need. Moreover, I did find the JTRs a little bit brighter in general, but I can't say that I had enough "ear time" with both of them to definitively conclude this.

Ultimately, I still really like the Cats. I do still need to find the time to treat my room and tweak their positions, but the more I listen to on them, the more I'm happy with my purchase. Though I still crave more bass, lol…the wife, however, is pretty set that I'm not getting any more unless I move out of the family room, lol.
Sorry, after I posted I remembered your screen name. It was on the tip of my tongue, I knew warrior something. Glad to hear you liking the Cat's I also love them. One of the things that I did not like was the built in amps as where I would have had to place them would have overloaded the circuits. . However now that I have a wall of 20 amp recipticals with 12/2 wire to a 20 amp beakers, I would not hesitate to entertain some Cat's or anything Mark has up his sleeve down the road. I know he explained the amps, so I know why there is not a passive version.
post #20433 of 26058 Old 06-06-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Yep. And fwiw the second g2g which we did blind where both were in attendance, I liked the cats better again. Yes, it was the same room, but my experience at least was the same. Dave's was not, so that goes to show how perceptions can and will change... I felt the Cat's to be the most impressive out of pretty much all the speakers we played at the first mega-shootout. The Yorkvilles and the Noesis were both very close behind, but the added extension of the cats, and something with their upper-end is what really drew me in. Very smooth and effortless.
I knew you were one of the guys and I think Chopper was another. I also think Austin liked the Cats the first time around also. I did not want to name names as I was not sure.
post #20434 of 26058 Old 06-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Sorry, after I posted I remembered your screen name. It was on the tip of my tongue, I knew warrior something. Glad to hear you liking the Cat's I also love them. One of the things that I did not like was the built in amps as where I would have had to place them would have overloaded the circuits. . However now that I have a wall of 20 amp recipticals with 12/2 wire to a 20 amp beakers, I would not hesitate to entertain some Cat's or anything Mark has up his sleeve down the road. I know he explained the amps, so I know why there is not a passive version.
The amplifiers are pretty efficient, and with efficient amplifiers plus efficient speakers, I am pretty sure I'm not close to popping breakers before my ears start to give out. In fact, I have both mine connected to a Panamax unit because I needed some way to switch them off with the receiver and the Panamax I bought has a triggered relay. The relay is rated, I believe it said, to 18 amps and the unit is connected to a 20 amp breaker. No issues so far and I've pushed them as hard as I can stand, and my ears were ringing afterwards to let me know it eek.gif so I need to worry about them before I worry about the breakers, lol. The front sub is on the same 20 amp breaker, too.

I guess what I'm saying is, if a single 20 amp breaker is a limit, it is one I'm not noticing at the moment.
post #20435 of 26058 Old 06-06-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

The amplifiers are pretty efficient, and with efficient amplifiers plus efficient speakers, I am pretty sure I'm not close to popping breakers before my ears start to give out. In fact, I have both mine connected to a Panamax unit because I needed some way to switch them off with the receiver and the Panamax I bought has a triggered relay. The relay is rated, I believe it said, to 18 amps and the unit is connected to a 20 amp breaker. No issues so far and I've pushed them as hard as I can stand, and my ears were ringing afterwards to let me know it eek.gif so I need to worry about them before I worry about the breakers, lol. The front sub is on the same 20 amp breaker, too.

I guess what I'm saying is, if a single 20 amp breaker is a limit, it is one I'm not noticing at the moment.

Thank you for posting this! You gave me a great idea with the Panamax.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #20436 of 26058 Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Thank you for posting this! You gave me a great idea with the Panamax.
Cool...I was going to buy the pricey Furman units just to do the switching, but couldn't justify spending that much on a relay. Didn't really want to spend that much on the Panamax either, but....it was there at Best Buy, so....
post #20437 of 26058 Old 06-06-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

10" between the top of the speaker and the ceiling? That would put the horn wayyyy to high IMO. You want the horn of the speaker to be as close to ear-level as you can get.

That might require the 210HT but then there'd be the smaller horn and I wouldn't recommend that.

So another option would be the 215RM, which is the center version of the 215RT with the large horn but it supposedly only goes down to 60Hz. Very similar would be the 212HT, which I'd say on paper is a step down from the 215RM.

My feeling if you're considering the 215RT, you find a way to fit them "correctly" including the port at the bottom front. Or potentially think about the Cats or Danleys or....
post #20438 of 26058 Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool glad it is working for you. I have a Panamax also, I have the 5400. The only thing I don't use it for are my amps other than the AVR. I have read that amps may be held back by a suppressor. It is one of those things that people do and people don't. I have so much stuff right now feeding off of two 15amp receptacles that I am amazed that I have never tripped them. I think one more thirsty amp would do it though.
post #20439 of 26058 Old 06-07-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Cool glad it is working for you. I have a Panamax also, I have the 5400. The only thing I don't use it for are my amps other than the AVR. I have read that amps may be held back by a suppressor. It is one of those things that people do and people don't. I have so much stuff right now feeding off of two 15amp receptacles that I am amazed that I have never tripped them. I think one more thirsty amp would do it though.

I just read over the manual and it said:

"Outlet Bank 5 Two switched, high-current outlets controlled by the front panel Power Button or the DC Trigger input. Bank 5 has a 5 second turn on delay and turns off immediately upon shutdown. The High Current outlets provide power from a low impedance noise filtration circuit that does not limit the current to your equipment. Its output is noise isolated from all other outlet banks"

This is perfect! I have owned the Panamax M5300-PM unit for maybe 6 years or more and I never really had amps so I didn't pay any attention to this feature. The only thing that I wish it did was let you select which outlets would turn off and on instead of three different sections of outlets.

- Leon Phelps
post #20440 of 26058 Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Nice writeup on dlbeck's outstanding Theater in the "Community New and Polls" Section. That makes three of the last four HT's of the month featuring JTR Noesis speakers. cool.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #20441 of 26058 Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I still really want to hear from people that have the 215RT's and how they compare them to other speakers that owned in the past. RMK has done a good job so far. But interested in hearing more.

RMK, do you feel your 215RT are better then the high end Revels you had in every respect? as well as for all music types as well?

I forgot to mention that the guy who bought my first JTR Triple 12's was a self professed audiophile. He sold a Vandersteen setup (5A's as mains) and he was very happy with the change. He brought his wife up for the demo (usually not a good idea with JTR's) and after an hour she said "this is what we should do". I was kind of shocked as was he ... You just never know ... wink.gif

BTW, I have heard Vandersteens and was considering buying his for a two channel setup but decided I just would not get enough use out of them to make it worthwhile. They sound great within their limits.

HToM

post #20442 of 26058 Old 06-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Nice writeup on dlbeck's outstanding Theater in the "Community New and Polls" Section. That makes three of the last four HT's of the month featuring JTR Noesis speakers. cool.gif
Apparently people who are discerning and meticulous enough to get featured have similar taste in speakers.
post #20443 of 26058 Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Scott loves the JTR brand. biggrin.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #20444 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I think Scott loves the JTR brand. biggrin.gif

I don't think he has ever heard a JTR speaker ... smile.gif

HToM

post #20445 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 126
lbrown105, thanks for having me over on Saturday. It certainly reassured me on my JTR purchase.

Your sound setup is awe worthy, and is a great example and setup of Jeff's speakers.

Thank you again!

Also to anyone that hears them and if they "don't" image well, it is the setup only, not the speakers.

I felt that way when i listened at Jeff's, (again he was in the middle of building his room) the 215RT just plopped down in a general spot and they didn't image well. But at lbrown150's the JTR 212TH speakers imaged very very well, about 90% of my Vandersteens, and those are sound stage imaging beasts. (if setup correctly)

So moral of the story... Setup, setup, setup!!!!
countryWV likes this.
post #20446 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Wouldn't you just angle them down a bit? Also the second row of seats would be a on 12" riser.

You you could do this as long as you have the room behind the screen to do this angle. I was concerned about the horn height before I received them ... but they have 60/60 dispersion pattern and there are no issues for me but then, I do not have an elevated front stage.

HToM

post #20447 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

lbrown105, thanks for having me over on Saturday. It certainly reassured me on my JTR purchase.

Your sound setup is awe worthy, and is a great example and setup of Jeff's speakers.

Thank you again!

Also to anyone that hears them and if they "don't" image well, it is the setup only, not the speakers.

I felt that way when i listened at Jeff's, (again he was in the middle of building his room) the 215RT just plopped down in a general spot and they didn't image well. But at lbrown150's the JTR 212TH speakers imaged very very well, about 90% of my Vandersteens, and those are sound stage imaging beasts. (if setup correctly)

SOWK, thanks for the nice comments. I have spent most of my time this year on room imporvements to focus on better FR, decay times and impulse response. I think it is really starting to pay off.

I think the flexibility and options your theater's stage offers, you are going to be very happy with your JTR selection. Look forward to hearing them when you get them.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #20448 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I think I am buying 3 more GIK panels to place on the ceiling to go along with the one I have. I loved the design you went with, and it was an inspiration.
post #20449 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

SOWK, thanks for the nice comments. I have spent most of my time this year on room imporvements to focus on better FR, decay times and impulse response. I think it is really starting to pay off.

I think the flexibility and options your theater's stage offers, you are going to be very happy with your JTR selection. Look forward to hearing them when you get them.

Do you have a thread or a post somewhere that goes into detail with what you did to treat your room? If not would you mind posting that sometime when you get a chance? thanks! smile.gif I love how my 212's image as is, but there is always room for improvement!
post #20450 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you again!

The word is that the 215's image better than the 212's. If so, you (and I smile.gif) are in for a treat when we get our 215's because I think the 212's are outstanding - not as good however as the Danley SH50's I had in my room to compare. So my hope is to have the imaging/soundstage of the Danley's with the sound signature of the 212's - awesome combination if that's the case.
post #20451 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

He brought his wife up for the demo (usually not a good idea with JTR's) and after an hour she said "this is what we should do".

At Axpona the JTR 215's were my wife's favorite speakers. She loved their smooth sound. Bright speakers hurt her ears.
post #20452 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Do you have a thread or a post somewhere that goes into detail with what you did to treat your room? If not would you mind posting that sometime when you get a chance? thanks! smile.gif I love how my 212's image as is, but there is always room for improvement!
Carp, I have been just waiting on my carpeting to finish off the major overahaul I have been working on since February. It is scheduled for next week so after that I will post a thread. I did not document every detail but quite a transorfmation non the less and I also have testing results from before and after too. I'll attach a link in this thread when I get it done. Should be a couple of weeks. Yes the 215's do image veery well when I heard them at Axpona, you are going to be pleased I'm sure.

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #20453 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:

Carp, I have been just waiting on my carpeting to finish off the major overahaul I have been working on since February. It is scheduled for next week so after that I will post a thread. I did not document every detail but quite a transorfmation non the less and I also have testing results from before and after too. I'll attach a link in this thread when I get it done. Should be a couple of weeks. Yes the 215's do image veery well when I heard them at Axpona, you are going to be pleased I'm sure.

I was in the same boat as you, after 6 months I was able to finally get carpet installed on my rear rise and front stage.

Now I just have to finish up the fabric frame panels to go around the screen and I'll finally be down. smile.gif
post #20454 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Wow, had never seen the other side of your theater, that looks great man! Very well done!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #20455 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking forward to seeing the results!

- Leon Phelps
post #20456 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:

Wow, had never seen the other side of your theater, that looks great man! Very well done!

Thanks Brandon! smile.gif I was originally going to use the same carpet for the riser and stage but when I went to buy it the store no longer stocked it and it would have been a special order so the price would have been double. So I decided to go with a darker brown for some contrast and a two tone look. I was really happy with how it turned out.

I'm also luck that my buddy installs carpet, he was cursing and swearing installing the carpet on the stage for the curved part while keeping the pattern on the carpet all running the same way....lol Only cost me $200 to have him install all of it and he was saying that anyone else would charge this out as custom upholstery work which is code for expensive....lol
post #20457 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I was in the same boat as you, after 6 months I was able to finally get carpet installed on my rear rise and front stage.

Now I just have to finish up the fabric frame panels to go around the screen and I'll finally be down. smile.gif

Nice!! cool.gif

How do you like your chairs? What are they?
post #20458 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:

Thank you again!

Yes and the same with treating your room as far as where to place panels. Bass traps are easy smile.gif

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #20459 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very Nice Joe.
post #20460 of 26058 Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow
Quote:

that looks great. Very clean looking. Excellent job!

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page