Official JTR speaker thread - Page 683 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #20461 of 21669 Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 51
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yes and the same with treating your room as far as where to place panels. Bass traps are easy smile.gif
proper placement of panels makes a huge difference in the impulse response. I am starting to see (hear actually) that IR, decay times and FR really tell you a lot. In the past I had way too much emphasis on FR only. Also I see a big improvement in bass decay with moving mass that would be very difficult to get with even several feet of pink fluffy.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20462 of 21669 Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,902
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

P
proper placement of panels makes a huge difference in the impulse response. I am starting to see (hear actually) that IR, decay times and FR really tell you a lot. In the past I had way too much emphasis on FR only. Also I see a big improvement in bass decay with moving mass that would be very difficult to get with even several feet of pink fluffy.

Yes exactly! A good exercise is to take a very thin reflective type surface such as a utility rug, pieces of wood or whatever and place them on the floor in front of your front mains. Get some listening time then remove them. You will introduce some nasty reflections that would also measure on the impulse graph. You can also use the right click feature on REW to measure the distance. Not down to the inch but decently close. After removing you will see what it is like taming nasty first point reflections! smile.gif Although most here know what they are doing. But specular reflection panels can really improve your speakers! Especially the floor and ceiling. Side not is removing if you have plush carpet.
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #20463 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423






























I sold my 212's so it's official, I'm getting a pair of the 215's and in case it isn't obvious ^ I'm just a little bit excited about it (I do get carried away, when it comes to this hobby I'm like a little kid tongue.gifbiggrin.gif). If it weren't for seeing pictures I wouldn't have been interested but the minute I saw them I knew I was in trouble. I mean seriously... look at that last picture ^ how bad a$$ is that!!!! cool.gif Makes me glad I don't have an AT screen. smile.gif

I haven't had full range speakers since college, can't wait!!

I'm very curious to see what the results for bass will be for music. I've read for years that full range makes no sense because the best placement for the speakers is almost never the best place for the bass, so it's better to have separate subs. Then here recently I've read quite a few posts about how the time domain is better with full range and that it is very hard to duplicate that with subs no matter how much tweaking is done so I don't know what to think.... but I guess I'll find out.
RMK! likes this.
carp is online now  
post #20464 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hey Carp...

Seeing those pictures has me SUPER excited and SUPER nervous at the same time.... lol

Not sure how much fun it will be dragging those up my steps..

Hopefully I will find out in about two weeks. eek.gif
COACH2369 is online now  
post #20465 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Hey Carp...

Seeing those pictures has me SUPER excited and SUPER nervous at the same time.... lol

Not sure how much fun it will be dragging those up my steps..

Hopefully I will find out in about two weeks. eek.gif


Seriously.. these have to be the last speakers right? tongue.gif I never want to have to move these out of the room again once they are setup!!
carp is online now  
post #20466 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post


I sold my 212's so it's official, I'm getting a pair of the 215's and in case it isn't obvious ^ I'm just a little bit excited about it (I do get carried away, when it comes to this hobby I'm like a little kid tongue.gifbiggrin.gif). If it weren't for seeing pictures I wouldn't have been interested but the minute I saw them I knew I was in trouble. I mean seriously... look at that last picture ^ how bad a$$ is that!!!! cool.gif Makes me glad I don't have an AT screen. smile.gif

I haven't had full range speakers since college, can't wait!!

I'm very curious to see what the results for bass will be for music. I've read for years that full range makes no sense because the best placement for the speakers is almost never the best place for the bass, so it's better to have separate subs. Then here recently I've read quite a few posts about how the time domain is better with full range and that it is very hard to duplicate that with subs no matter how much tweaking is done so I don't know what to think.... but I guess I'll find out.

Having had full range speakers for a long time, and still will...

Nothing beats having the subs integrated in to the mains for 2 channel music. wink.gif
SOWK is online now  
post #20467 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 140
dlbeck is online now  
post #20468 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Seriously.. these have to be the last speakers right? tongue.gif I never want to have to move these out of the room again once they are setup!!

I know that my wife will probably be shocked and confused about these......so I am sure I am done.smile.gif

Good thing is Dgage can be to my house in less than 7 minutes, so I am covered on transporting these guys upstairs.. haha.
COACH2369 is online now  
post #20469 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Carp - delivered at the GTG?

If I don't have mine, he might have to fight me for those puppies.... JUST KIDDING.

Jeff seemed confident that he would have drivers and cabinets in stock in enough time for my order. smile.gif
COACH2369 is online now  
post #20470 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,989
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post


I sold my 212's so it's official, I'm getting a pair of the 215's and in case it isn't obvious ^ I'm just a little bit excited about it (I do get carried away, when it comes to this hobby I'm like a little kid tongue.gifbiggrin.gif). If it weren't for seeing pictures I wouldn't have been interested but the minute I saw them I knew I was in trouble. I mean seriously... look at that last picture ^ how bad a$$ is that!!!! cool.gif Makes me glad I don't have an AT screen. smile.gif

I haven't had full range speakers since college, can't wait!!

I'm very curious to see what the results for bass will be for music. I've read for years that full range makes no sense because the best placement for the speakers is almost never the best place for the bass, so it's better to have separate subs. Then here recently I've read quite a few posts about how the time domain is better with full range and that it is very hard to duplicate that with subs no matter how much tweaking is done so I don't know what to think.... but I guess I'll find out.

This is what I am waiting to hear from you. I would rethink how my setup is aligned if you truly find the integration that much better. I would likely at that point use the DCX to attempt to mesh the 18's together better with the danleys to create a full range theoretically speaking... Might be fun to try anyways.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #20471 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Seriously.. these have to be the last speakers right? tongue.gif I never want to have to move these out of the room again once they are setup!!

Would be hard to go go bigger! I definitely see the draw. I hate playing playing pink noise and hearing it from four distinct locations up front.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is online now  
post #20472 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Seriously.. these have to be the last speakers right? tongue.gif I never want to have to move these out of the room again once they are setup!!
Just throw away the boxes. wink.gif
desertdome is online now  
post #20473 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Carp - delivered at the GTG?


Yep, they will be the pair that will be played at the gtg. Haha, hopefully Jeff doesn't blow them up. biggrin.gif

So, I will be taking up my wife's new minivan. Stow and go seats were designed with JTR 215's in mind. Jeff is also bringing a 212 for Grant to go with the 2 212's he bought from me.
carp is online now  
post #20474 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I know that my wife will probably be shocked and confused about these......so I am sure I am done.smile.gif

Good thing is Dgage can be to my house in less than 7 minutes, so I am covered on transporting these guys upstairs.. haha.


Haha, shocked and confused will be a perfect description for my wife too I bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

If I don't have mine, he might have to fight me for those puppies.... JUST KIDDING.


Uh oh...







Round 2!!!! biggrin.gif
carp is online now  
post #20475 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Congrats carp.. I'm sure as a hardcore audiophile as yourself. I know you'll be very pleased with the 215's. You, RMK, N8, and COACH are lucky to have experience almost a full line of JTR speakers and subs. I wish I got to do that. But I'm not as hardcore as you guys. Matter of fact, I've been in the JTR club less then a year. And just hanging out around the JTR forum with all you guys impression gives me confidence in purchase.
rhed is online now  
post #20476 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

This is what I am waiting to hear from you. I would rethink how my setup is aligned if you truly find the integration that much better. I would likely at that point use the DCX to attempt to mesh the 18's together better with the danleys to create a full range theoretically speaking... Might be fun to try anyways.


I don't understand how it would work exactly, but it sounds like a worthwhile experiment! Would the subs be in the same spots? I assume you don't want to lose that quarter point placement.
carp is online now  
post #20477 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Just throw away the boxes. wink.gif




Haha, why break tradition?? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
carp is online now  
post #20478 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I hope to hear some Dream Theater and Sabbath on those puppies in Dec/Jan! Will probably make me want to sell body parts on the black market.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

NWCgrad is online now  
post #20479 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Congrats carp.. I'm sure as a hardcore audiophile as yourself. I know you'll be very pleased with the 215's. You, RMK, N8, and COACH are lucky to have experience almost a full line of JTR speakers and subs. I wish I got to do that. But I'm not as hardcore as you guys. Matter of fact, I've been in the JTR club less then a year. And just hanging out around the JTR forum with all you guys impression gives me confidence in purchase.



Thanks rhed, you too. smile.gif When are you getting yours?
carp is online now  
post #20480 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

I hope to hear some Dream Theater and Sabbath on those puppies in Dec/Jan! Will probably make me want to sell body parts on the black market.


Heck yeah man, I'm off school then - perfect time for a long listening session! If you haven't heard the Metallica movie by then that will be required as well.

By then you will be able to get a good used price from me as I anxiously await the JTR 224's. eek.gifwink.gif
carp is online now  
post #20481 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Yep, they will be the pair that will be played at the gtg. Haha, hopefully Jeff doesn't blow them up. biggrin.gif

So, I will be taking up my wife's new minivan. Stow and go seats were designed with JTR 215's in mind. Jeff is also bringing a 212 for Grant to go with the 2 212's he bought from me.

Jeff told me I could keep the pair that he's bringing for a couple weeks. Possession is 99% of the battle. Sorry buddy.
dlbeck is online now  
post #20482 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Jeff told me I could keep the pair that he's bringing for a couple weeks. Possession is 99% of the battle. Sorry buddy.


Cool man, no problem at all! I have a lot of free time in the summer so I would be more than happy to lounge around your place and hang out in your theater room for 2 weeks!! tongue.gifwink.gif
carp is online now  
post #20483 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Congrats carp.. I'm sure as a hardcore audiophile as yourself.

Can we really call Carp an audiophile? I always understood an audiophile to try reproducing the signal as close as possible to the original...you know, with responses that are given in +- 2db from 20K to 20 Hz. smile.gif With Carp it would be more like +- 2db from 20K to 100 and then +10 or +15...not exactly audiophile...and since most of us on this JTR thread have similar tastes...how did the JTR Speaker, an audiophile class speaker...get bastardized to such an extent? smile.gif
dgage is online now  
post #20484 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,989
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't understand how it would work exactly, but it sounds like a worthwhile experiment! Would the subs be in the same spots? I assume you don't want to lose that quarter point placement.

Yep same spots, would just switch the AVR to full range and take a L/R out to the DCX and actively cross there. Could be very feasible.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #20485 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Can we really call Carp an audiophile? I always understood an audiophile to try reproducing the signal as close as possible to the original...you know, with responses that are given in +- 2db from 20K to 20 Hz. smile.gif With Carp it would be more like +- 2db from 20K to 100 and then +10 or +15...not exactly audiophile...and since most of us on this JTR thread have similar tastes...how did the JTR Speaker, an audiophile class speaker...get bastardized to such an extent? smile.gif

I wanted to make sure that my comments were not taken as a dig at Carp per se but many on this thread that like our bass a little hot. But I looked up the definition of audiophile and all of us meet the first definition I linked to...and I'm sure some would also for the second definition but we don't need to discuss that.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/audiophile

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=audiophile
dgage is online now  
post #20486 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Don't be back pedaling now dgage. Carp is really ticked and actually told me he wants to challenge you to an arm wrestling match on 6/28. It's going to be epic.
dlbeck is online now  
post #20487 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I wanted to make sure that my comments were not taken as a dig at Carp per se but many on this thread that like our bass a little hot. But I looked up the definition of audiophile and all of us meet the first definition I linked to...and I'm sure some would also for the second definition but we don't need to discuss that.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/audiophile

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=audiophile


Haha, no worries man, I am definitely not an audiophile. What kind of audiophile has 8 18 inch subs and listens to Slayer?!?!? biggrin.gif
carp is online now  
post #20488 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,996
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Don't be back pedaling now dgage. Carp is really ticked and actually told me he wants to challenge you to an arm wrestling match on 6/28. It's going to be epic.

All I know is if I do ever find myself in an arm wrestling match the key is to do a lot of really loud short burst shouting and use as many hercky-jercky movements as possible. Archaea never knew what hit him.
carp is online now  
post #20489 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
wyattroa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Lol..back in high school my buddies dad did professional arm wrestling tournaments since he was a baby. My buddy was 145lbs soaking wet and nobody knew about his dad but me. He would always take on the strongest guys in the school and the older kids too and just play with them. He knew the perfect technique.. It really was funny to watch since his dad trained him since he was little..lol

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub -Updating to Duals with UXL-18"s A bit different
wyattroa is offline  
post #20490 of 21669 Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
My cousin is dating Canadian arm wrestling champ Ryan Espey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTAFFKgxqM0 and it's crazy how technical it can be. He's 6'6, 290lbs and his arms are bigger than my legs lol. It's pretty funny when at parties and stuff, people find out he's a pro, everyone always wants to have a go at him. I can't even beat him with 2 arms and my legs! lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off