Official JTR speaker thread - Page 683 - AVS Forum
First ... 681  682  683 684  685  ... Last
Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread
lbrown105's Avatar lbrown105 09:25 PM 06-09-2014
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yes and the same with treating your room as far as where to place panels. Bass traps are easy smile.gif
proper placement of panels makes a huge difference in the impulse response. I am starting to see (hear actually) that IR, decay times and FR really tell you a lot. In the past I had way too much emphasis on FR only. Also I see a big improvement in bass decay with moving mass that would be very difficult to get with even several feet of pink fluffy.

jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 10:06 PM 06-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

P
proper placement of panels makes a huge difference in the impulse response. I am starting to see (hear actually) that IR, decay times and FR really tell you a lot. In the past I had way too much emphasis on FR only. Also I see a big improvement in bass decay with moving mass that would be very difficult to get with even several feet of pink fluffy.

Yes exactly! A good exercise is to take a very thin reflective type surface such as a utility rug, pieces of wood or whatever and place them on the floor in front of your front mains. Get some listening time then remove them. You will introduce some nasty reflections that would also measure on the impulse graph. You can also use the right click feature on REW to measure the distance. Not down to the inch but decently close. After removing you will see what it is like taming nasty first point reflections! smile.gif Although most here know what they are doing. But specular reflection panels can really improve your speakers! Especially the floor and ceiling. Side not is removing if you have plush carpet.
carp's Avatar carp 09:23 AM 06-10-2014

I sold my 212's so it's official, I'm getting a pair of the 215's and in case it isn't obvious ^ I'm just a little bit excited about it (I do get carried away, when it comes to this hobby I'm like a little kid tongue.gifbiggrin.gif). If it weren't for seeing pictures I wouldn't have been interested but the minute I saw them I knew I was in trouble. I mean seriously... look at that last picture ^ how bad a$$ is that!!!! cool.gif Makes me glad I don't have an AT screen. smile.gif

I haven't had full range speakers since college, can't wait!!

I'm very curious to see what the results for bass will be for music. I've read for years that full range makes no sense because the best placement for the speakers is almost never the best place for the bass, so it's better to have separate subs. Then here recently I've read quite a few posts about how the time domain is better with full range and that it is very hard to duplicate that with subs no matter how much tweaking is done so I don't know what to think.... but I guess I'll find out.
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 09:28 AM 06-10-2014
Hey Carp...

Seeing those pictures has me SUPER excited and SUPER nervous at the same time.... lol

Not sure how much fun it will be dragging those up my steps..

Hopefully I will find out in about two weeks. eek.gif
carp's Avatar carp 09:37 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Hey Carp...

Seeing those pictures has me SUPER excited and SUPER nervous at the same time.... lol

Not sure how much fun it will be dragging those up my steps..

Hopefully I will find out in about two weeks. eek.gif

Seriously.. these have to be the last speakers right? tongue.gif I never want to have to move these out of the room again once they are setup!!
SOWK's Avatar SOWK 10:18 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I sold my 212's so it's official, I'm getting a pair of the 215's and in case it isn't obvious ^ I'm just a little bit excited about it (I do get carried away, when it comes to this hobby I'm like a little kid tongue.gifbiggrin.gif). If it weren't for seeing pictures I wouldn't have been interested but the minute I saw them I knew I was in trouble. I mean seriously... look at that last picture ^ how bad a$$ is that!!!! cool.gif Makes me glad I don't have an AT screen. smile.gif

I'm very curious to see what the results for bass will be for music. I've read for years that full range makes no sense because the best placement for the speakers is almost never the best place for the bass, so it's better to have separate subs. Then here recently I've read quite a few posts about how the time domain is better with full range and that it is very hard to duplicate that with subs no matter how much tweaking is done so I don't know what to think.... but I guess I'll find out.

Having had full range speakers for a long time, and still will...

Nothing beats having the subs integrated in to the mains for 2 channel music. wink.gif
dlbeck's Avatar dlbeck 10:39 AM 06-10-2014
Carp - delivered at the GTG?
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 10:49 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:

Seriously.. these have to be the last speakers right? tongue.gif I never want to have to move these out of the room again once they are setup!!

I know that my wife will probably be shocked and confused about these......so I am sure I am done.smile.gif

Good thing is Dgage can be to my house in less than 7 minutes, so I am covered on transporting these guys upstairs.. haha.
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 10:50 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

If I don't have mine, he might have to fight me for those puppies.... JUST KIDDING.

Jeff seemed confident that he would have drivers and cabinets in stock in enough time for my order. smile.gif
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 11:01 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:

This is what I am waiting to hear from you. I would rethink how my setup is aligned if you truly find the integration that much better. I would likely at that point use the DCX to attempt to mesh the 18's together better with the danleys to create a full range theoretically speaking... Might be fun to try anyways.
NWCgrad's Avatar NWCgrad 11:11 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:

Would be hard to go go bigger! I definitely see the draw. I hate playing playing pink noise and hearing it from four distinct locations up front.
desertdome's Avatar desertdome 11:17 AM 06-10-2014
Quote:

Just throw away the boxes. wink.gif
carp's Avatar carp 12:33 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:

Yep, they will be the pair that will be played at the gtg. Haha, hopefully Jeff doesn't blow them up. biggrin.gif

So, I will be taking up my wife's new minivan. Stow and go seats were designed with JTR 215's in mind. Jeff is also bringing a 212 for Grant to go with the 2 212's he bought from me.
carp's Avatar carp 12:41 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:

I know that my wife will probably be shocked and confused about these......so I am sure I am done.smile.gif

Good thing is Dgage can be to my house in less than 7 minutes, so I am covered on transporting these guys upstairs.. haha.

Haha, shocked and confused will be a perfect description for my wife too I bet...

Quote:

If I don't have mine, he might have to fight me for those puppies.... JUST KIDDING.

Uh oh...

Round 2!!!! biggrin.gif
rhed's Avatar rhed 12:45 PM 06-10-2014
Congrats carp.. I'm sure as a hardcore audiophile as yourself. I know you'll be very pleased with the 215's. You, RMK, N8, and COACH are lucky to have experience almost a full line of JTR speakers and subs. I wish I got to do that. But I'm not as hardcore as you guys. Matter of fact, I've been in the JTR club less then a year. And just hanging out around the JTR forum with all you guys impression gives me confidence in purchase.
carp's Avatar carp 12:45 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

This is what I am waiting to hear from you. I would rethink how my setup is aligned if you truly find the integration that much better. I would likely at that point use the DCX to attempt to mesh the 18's together better with the danleys to create a full range theoretically speaking... Might be fun to try anyways.

I don't understand how it would work exactly, but it sounds like a worthwhile experiment! Would the subs be in the same spots? I assume you don't want to lose that quarter point placement.
carp's Avatar carp 12:49 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Just throw away the boxes. wink.gif

Haha, why break tradition?? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
NWCgrad's Avatar NWCgrad 12:50 PM 06-10-2014
I hope to hear some Dream Theater and Sabbath on those puppies in Dec/Jan! Will probably make me want to sell body parts on the black market.
carp's Avatar carp 12:54 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Congrats carp.. I'm sure as a hardcore audiophile as yourself. I know you'll be very pleased with the 215's. You, RMK, N8, and COACH are lucky to have experience almost a full line of JTR speakers and subs. I wish I got to do that. But I'm not as hardcore as you guys. Matter of fact, I've been in the JTR club less then a year. And just hanging out around the JTR forum with all you guys impression gives me confidence in purchase.

Thanks rhed, you too. smile.gif When are you getting yours?
carp's Avatar carp 12:58 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

I hope to hear some Dream Theater and Sabbath on those puppies in Dec/Jan! Will probably make me want to sell body parts on the black market.

Heck yeah man, I'm off school then - perfect time for a long listening session! If you haven't heard the Metallica movie by then that will be required as well.

By then you will be able to get a good used price from me as I anxiously await the JTR 224's. eek.gifwink.gif
dlbeck's Avatar dlbeck 01:01 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:

Yep, they will be the pair that will be played at the gtg. Haha, hopefully Jeff doesn't blow them up. biggrin.gif

So, I will be taking up my wife's new minivan. Stow and go seats were designed with JTR 215's in mind. Jeff is also bringing a 212 for Grant to go with the 2 212's he bought from me.

Jeff told me I could keep the pair that he's bringing for a couple weeks. Possession is 99% of the battle. Sorry buddy.
carp's Avatar carp 01:05 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:

Jeff told me I could keep the pair that he's bringing for a couple weeks. Possession is 99% of the battle. Sorry buddy.

Cool man, no problem at all! I have a lot of free time in the summer so I would be more than happy to lounge around your place and hang out in your theater room for 2 weeks!! tongue.gifwink.gif
dgage's Avatar dgage 02:22 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Congrats carp.. I'm sure as a hardcore audiophile as yourself.

Can we really call Carp an audiophile? I always understood an audiophile to try reproducing the signal as close as possible to the original...you know, with responses that are given in +- 2db from 20K to 20 Hz. smile.gif With Carp it would be more like +- 2db from 20K to 100 and then +10 or +15...not exactly audiophile...and since most of us on this JTR thread have similar tastes...how did the JTR Speaker, an audiophile class speaker...get bastardized to such an extent? smile.gif
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 02:48 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:

I don't understand how it would work exactly, but it sounds like a worthwhile experiment! Would the subs be in the same spots? I assume you don't want to lose that quarter point placement.

Yep same spots, would just switch the AVR to full range and take a L/R out to the DCX and actively cross there. Could be very feasible.
dgage's Avatar dgage 03:27 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Can we really call Carp an audiophile? I always understood an audiophile to try reproducing the signal as close as possible to the original...you know, with responses that are given in +- 2db from 20K to 20 Hz. smile.gif With Carp it would be more like +- 2db from 20K to 100 and then +10 or +15...not exactly audiophile...and since most of us on this JTR thread have similar tastes...how did the JTR Speaker, an audiophile class speaker...get bastardized to such an extent? smile.gif

I wanted to make sure that my comments were not taken as a dig at Carp per se but many on this thread that like our bass a little hot. But I looked up the definition of audiophile and all of us meet the first definition I linked to...and I'm sure some would also for the second definition but we don't need to discuss that.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/audiophile

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=audiophile
dlbeck's Avatar dlbeck 03:36 PM 06-10-2014
Don't be back pedaling now dgage. Carp is really ticked and actually told me he wants to challenge you to an arm wrestling match on 6/28. It's going to be epic.
carp's Avatar carp 04:08 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I wanted to make sure that my comments were not taken as a dig at Carp per se but many on this thread that like our bass a little hot. But I looked up the definition of audiophile and all of us meet the first definition I linked to...and I'm sure some would also for the second definition but we don't need to discuss that.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/audiophile

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=audiophile

Haha, no worries man, I am definitely not an audiophile. What kind of audiophile has 8 18 inch subs and listens to Slayer?!?!? biggrin.gif
carp's Avatar carp 04:10 PM 06-10-2014
Quote:

Don't be back pedaling now dgage. Carp is really ticked and actually told me he wants to challenge you to an arm wrestling match on 6/28. It's going to be epic.

All I know is if I do ever find myself in an arm wrestling match the key is to do a lot of really loud short burst shouting and use as many hercky-jercky movements as possible. Archaea never knew what hit him.
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa 04:37 PM 06-10-2014
Lol..back in high school my buddies dad did professional arm wrestling tournaments since he was a baby. My buddy was 145lbs soaking wet and nobody knew about his dad but me. He would always take on the strongest guys in the school and the older kids too and just play with them. He knew the perfect technique.. It really was funny to watch since his dad trained him since he was little..lol
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 04:55 PM 06-10-2014
My cousin is dating Canadian arm wrestling champ Ryan Espey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTAFFKgxqM0 and it's crazy how technical it can be. He's 6'6, 290lbs and his arms are bigger than my legs lol. It's pretty funny when at parties and stuff, people find out he's a pro, everyone always wants to have a go at him. I can't even beat him with 2 arms and my legs! lol
Tags: 215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
First ... 681  682  683 684  685  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop