Official JTR speaker thread - Page 688 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20611 of 23376 Old 06-14-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Crazy, I rented a PS3 game from Redbox yesterday to give gaming some time to get back into it. The last person stole by making a paper copy over the top of an old "Predator" disc and putting it back into Redbox. I guess I will be calling red box lol!

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20612 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Crazy, I rented a PS3 game from Redbox yesterday to give gaming some time to get back into it. The last person stole by making a paper copy over the top of an old "Predator" disc and putting it back into Redbox. I guess I will be calling red box lol!
That's crazy.. Lol. Hey jp.. What game are on? You plan on getting the X1 or ps4?
post #20613 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Quote:
That's crazy.. Lol. Hey jp.. What game are on? You plan on getting the X1 or ps4?
I just don't game much. I am trying to get back into it. Time has taken me away and I seem to just not have a genuine interest anymore. I mean I enjoy it once I get going but...I have been playing BF4 but I had rented Wolfenstein to try out.

My Setup Thread

post #20614 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by lbrown105

SOWK, thanks for the nice comments. I have spent most of my time this year on room imporvements to focus on better FR, decay times and impulse response. I think it is really starting to pay off.

I think the flexibility and options your theater's stage offers, you are going to be very happy with your JTR selection. Look forward to hearing them when you get them.

Do you have a thread or a post somewhere that goes into detail with what you did to treat your room? If not would you mind posting that sometime when you get a chance? thanks! I love how my 212's image as is, but there is always room for improvement!

Here is a link with some updated pics in case your still interested in seeing what I did. I just got the carpet installed on Friday. Still waiting on the new Slant 8's.

Drop ceiling upgrade

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #20615 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Carp...are you going to be back in the DC area?
I sent you a PM.

post #20616 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Quote:

SOWK, thanks for the nice comments. I have spent most of my time this year on room imporvements to focus on better FR, decay times and impulse response. I think it is really starting to pay off.

I think the flexibility and options your theater's stage offers, you are going to be very happy with your JTR selection. Look forward to hearing them when you get them.

Do you have a thread or a post somewhere that goes into detail with what you did to treat your room? If not would you mind posting that sometime when you get a chance? thanks! I love how my 212's image as is, but there is always room for improvement!

Here is a link with some updated pics in case your still interested in seeing what I did. I just got the carpet installed on Friday. Still waiting on the new Slant 8's.

Drop ceiling upgrade
Very nice Ib. I like the room treatments and how the 3 OS is tucked away at the sides. I'd like to make a 100% dedicated ht room too after we move.
post #20617 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Quote:

Drop ceiling upgrade
Looks great Lance, is that a powered AT screen?

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #20618 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince32837 View Post
Dgage- I appreciate your perspective..10 years ago I dove in swan diva 6.1 speakers blind..that $2k purchase was a smart one. Brazilian rosewood finish plus they sound quite good. I expect the next 7.1 speaker system in a dedicated space to go to the next level, especially at JTR 215/Cat 12c/Danley prices...
Those same speakers were my first purchase several years ago! It's been a whirlwind since then, but I sold those to a buddy and are still ridiculously impressed with their ability and looks

Quote:
I wonder if Jeff would redesign the 212 Noesis. Like a gen 2 or something. And put different woofers in them and of course the crossover work. Just seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do and all this mid bass crisis could be solved with 12 inch woofers just different ones. Right? I mean get away from the very low xmax of the eminence and something else? Or am I missing something?
The emmy driver has enough xmax to theoretically get some decent midbass, being basically equivalent to a single 15". It's not the need of more xmax, it is just a design preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I really think you need to hear some 215's. I cannot wait for the 215's vs SH50.
You know, coach will have his pair only 2 short hours away from here in a few weeks, we could probably make that showdown happen
That would a fun shootout....not a fun one to setup, but a fun one to have.
post #20619 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Rob. No it is a fixed frame screen. I got a little lucky with the reposition on the fireplace. I did measurements to get it fairly tight, but when I put the screen in there was less than 1/8" clearance on the width between the right wall and the fireplace. Whoo dodged a bullet on that one.

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #20620 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Thanks Rob. No it is a fixed frame screen. I got a little lucky with the reposition on the fireplace. I did measurements to get it fairly tight, but when I put the screen in there was less than 1/8" clearance on the width between the right wall and the fireplace. Whoo dodged a bullet on that one.
How much toe in are you able to run in your setup?
post #20621 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Drop ceiling upgrade
Very nice Ib. I like the room treatments and how the 3 OS is tucked away at the sides. I'd like to make a 100% dedicated ht room too after we move.
wife doesn't like the third OS or the panels I built around the scounces. I am not 100% happy with the panels either, but the OS would look good to me even if it were in the middle of the room.

post #20622 of 23376 Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

been playing today with house curves and various source materials. The first curve is based on equal loudness shape (exponentially rising) and the second is much flatter but tilted up (straight factor). So far the loudness curve is winning my preference on most material for music. For movies I like the flatter curve except music centric movies (Metallica through the never and Rock of Ages are better with the loudness curve).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.15.14.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	119738   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.15.14.(2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	119746  

post #20623 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Ah!!! Perfect!! The loudness curve is very close to where I settle for music, I love how it sounds with this relatively aggressive "House Curve"

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #20624 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
I wonder if Jeff would redesign the 212 Noesis. Like a gen 2 or something. And put different woofers in them and of course the crossover work. Just seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do and all this mid bass crisis could be solved with 12 inch woofers just different ones. Right? I mean get away from the very low xmax of the eminence and something else? Or am I missing something?
Did you ever talk to him about this? I would be interested in this.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #20625 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Quote:
Did you ever talk to him about this? I would be interested in this.
No I did not. I am not in a position to spend money for years to come. Any major upgrades that is. When I build my theater room I will upgrade to some flagship JTR's and S8's in like a 9 channel system. Also add numerous DIY 18's to my dual submersives, AT screen, etc. Actually there was recent talk from my wifes family about us inheriting the grape farm in Grandview Washington. The house house a decent sized basement that is just begging for a conversion! Just have to see about what walls can be knocked down and just vertical support beams left.

But I was just thinking with all this recent mid-bass talk and crave why not just develop the 212 design with different woofers for a different mid-bass sonic signature?

My Setup Thread

post #20626 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I see Jeff has posted on FB that he is discontinuing the Triples, and has them on sale at the moment.
post #20627 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
I see Jeff has posted on FB that he is discontinuing the Triples, and has them on sale at the moment.
.. Was just going to post that. Lol.. My wife sent me a picture text about Jeffs post in FB about the sale.. Lol
post #20628 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Triple 12's were my first JTR speaker purchase....all of 15 months ago.

Now I am anxiously awaiting my third setup....which should be here very soon.
post #20629 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No I did not. I am not in a position to spend money for years to come. Any major upgrades that is. When I build my theater room I will upgrade to some flagship JTR's and S8's in like a 9 channel system. Also add numerous DIY 18's to my dual submersives, AT screen, etc. Actually there was recent talk from my wifes family about us inheriting the grape farm in Grandview Washington. The house house a decent sized basement that is just begging for a conversion! Just have to see about what walls can be knocked down and just vertical support beams left.

But I was just thinking with all this recent mid-bass talk and crave why not just develop the 212 design with different woofers for a different mid-bass sonic signature?
I am thinking about grapes myself, I thought about getting some property and just growing grapes. Wineries are exploding here. They found that where we live, the weather, climate and soil resemble that of French vineyards and being in-between the bay and ocean is supposed to be great for grapes? Some of the wines here are already getting great reviews and most of these vineyards are not even close to matured yet. Yeah its pretty cool. Large plots of land here are tuning quick to grapes.

http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifest...rime-time.html

My System

post #20630 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Triple 12's were my first JTR speaker purchase....all of 15 months ago.

Now I am anxiously awaiting my third setup....which should be here very soon.

Go big or go home right Coach!!!... FTW LOL
post #20631 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Go big or go home right Coach!!!... FTW LOL
BIG is an understatement this time around... lol
post #20632 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
BIG is an understatement this time around... lol
My ears are absolutely looking forward to hearing the 215RTs and 215RM at Coach's. But my back certainly is not looking forward to carrying to 215RTs up those stairs.
post #20633 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
My ears are absolutely looking forward to hearing the 215RTs and 215RM at Coach's. But my back certainly is not looking forward to carrying to 215RTs up those stairs.
You and my other buddy are going to have your hands full carrying those upstairs while I open and close the doors..
post #20634 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Anyone know the height to the center of the horn on the 215RT?

Last edited by SOWK; 06-16-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #20635 of 23376 Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Anyone know the height to the center of the horn on the 215RT?
I don't have the RT so I took an image and did some estimations.

Based on the width of the cabinet, the top woofer box is 17" wide and tall. Copying that and pasting that alongside the center horn, the horn appears to be about 16" tall and wide. So taking 72" tall - 17" (woofer) -8" (half of horn height), the center of the horn is about 47" high. Obviously it would be better if someone could measure them in person but my calcs should get us close.

David
post #20636 of 23376 Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
Thanks for the post! I've been enjoying my 3x T8 and 4x S8 for a couple years now in a traditional 7.1 setup. Maybe now is the time to get some more speakers for my eventual upgrade to 11+ channels once the standards get sorted out. It's been hard not to pull the trigger on Noesis speakers, but I think that in my dedicated room, money would be better spent on more channels, since I can't afford to do both!
dragonleepenn likes this.
post #20637 of 23376 Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Long time lurker. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some speakers for my new theater and the triple 12s go on sale. I need some advice from those that have heard both the T12 and Noesis 228. How do they compare sound-quality wise? I know the T12 can be driven louder, which would be nice, but I'm more focused on sound quality. Usage is 80/20 movies/music, and they will be in a dedicated, treated room with an AT screen. One sub to start (an svs pb12-nsd from before) but will probably add more later. Ultimately I'd like to add 4 slant-8s for a 7.1 system, but want to invest in a good front stage first and go from there. It'll be driven by an x4000 or the new incarnation to start. Thanks.

Edit: the only other speaker on my list for front stage is the JBL 3677. If any of you have heard those and can comment versus the 2 JTRs listed above, that would be fantastic.
post #20638 of 23376 Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by carp 

I don't understand how it would work exactly, but it sounds like a worthwhile experiment! Would the subs be in the same spots? I assume you don't want to lose that quarter point placement.

Yep same spots, would just switch the AVR to full range and take a L/R out to the DCX and actively cross there. Could be very feasible.
Take your top and place a sub under it and use the DCX for active crossover and it is a tower speaker. Nothing magical about it. The 215 could be made in three separate parts, stacked and it would be the same thing.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #20639 of 23376 Old 06-17-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Long time lurker. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some speakers for my new theater and the triple 12s go on sale. I need some advice from those that have heard both the T12 and Noesis 228. How do they compare sound-quality wise? I know the T12 can be driven louder, which would be nice, but I'm more focused on sound quality. Usage is 80/20 movies/music, and they will be in a dedicated, treated room with an AT screen. One sub to start (an svs pb12-nsd from before) but will probably add more later. Ultimately I'd like to add 4 slant-8s for a 7.1 system, but want to invest in a good front stage first and go from there. It'll be driven by an x4000 or the new incarnation to start. Thanks.

Edit: the only other speaker on my list for front stage is the JBL 3677. If any of you have heard those and can comment versus the 2 JTRs listed above, that would be fantastic.
Keep an eye on the classifieds. There are a few T12's in there right now or there were. I know Seanile was selling his.

Here is his link. JTR Triple 12LF LCR (3 speakers) for sale

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-17-2014 at 10:30 AM.
post #20640 of 23376 Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post

There is another Forum member (I'dratherbeflying) who is selling my 2012 T12's in the classified section. I loved those speakers and they would be perfect for your use as would the Noesis 228's .

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page