Old 06-17-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Kind of a Debbie Downer post. I am sorry to post this.

I recently received 3 228HTs in black oak veneer and 4 Slant 8s in black satin finish. My retirement speaker system.
Unlike most here, my usage is in a traditional multi-use living room as I don't have a spare room for a theater.
Using them with the dual Seaton Submersives master-slave units.

Just got the 228s set up and played my first movie last night. The Slant8s have not been mounted yet. No complaints on sound quality and will need more time to break them in and fine tune my layout.

The downer part is the cabinets on the JTRs. To be fair, these were ordered at the end of the year to beat the price increases and I am sure Jeff and the cabinet shop were really cranking out product to get caught back up. Would be no complaint if used in a theater room but in a living room the speakers get looked at quite closely. The black satin finish on the Slant 8s is extremely soft. Takes just a very light pressure from a finger nail to mark the finish and show as scratches. I mean just drag the back of your fingers across the finish and it leaves marks. Also the plywood joints all show through the finish as they are not sanded smooth and flat. There are scratches in the finish just from getting them out of the shipping boxes. Would have thought the finish would have hardened by now as they arrived about 10 weeks ago and I just now got them out. Thinking I will remove the drivers, sand and repaint them myself. While I like the smooth satin finish I am not sure it was worth the extra $ for that. Wish I could have seen and touched the standard finish before ordering. I ordered the satin finish to be able to paint them in the future to match wall colors if needed.
One of the 228HTs with the black oak veneer on one side have quite a few runs in the finish coat - whatever that was. Lacquer maybe? No easy way to fix that. Quite hard to see with the black finish. Going to leave it alone as the one side can be positioned where no one else will ever see it. Luckily the room is fairly dark so only shows up when the overhead lights are on.

Was under the impression that the same cabinet company did the Seaton speakers and JTRs. My Submersives have a perfect finish - no blemishes that I have found at all.

I don't have an expensive home or a fancy living room so I can live with these for the sound. If you are ordering veneered speakers, I would ask Jeff to give them a really good look-over prior to shipping. Think I just got caught in the end of year rush. Many others here have ordered custom finishes and I don't recall anyone else commenting on not being happy.
Peter, did you ever reach out to Jeff and see what he will do for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
There is another Forum member (I'dratherbeflying) who is selling my 2012 T12's in the classified section. I loved those speakers and they would be perfect for your use as would the Noesis 228's .
I thought they sold? I would have added that link.

I have a question. What do you guys think about pairing 215's with a 228 center channel?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I thought they sold? I would have added that link.

I have a question. What do you guys think about pairing 215's with a 228 center channel?

If wanted to do that I would look at getting Jeff to make you another one of those custom center channels that he did already. He used the cabinet of the 228HT's along with the 8" drivers, but it had a custom wooden horn and used the 4593 compression driver.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
If wanted to do that I would look at getting Jeff to make you another one of those custom center channels that he did already. He used the cabinet of the 228HT's along with the 8" drivers, but it had a custom wooden horn and used the 4593 compression driver.

What did that cost, would you happen to know. My thoughts are the 228 does fine now, I would think better going in a smaller dedicated treated room.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-17-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What did that cost, would you happen to know. My thoughts are the 228 does fine now, I would think better going in a smaller dedicated treated room.
I believe it basically brings the price up to exactly what a 212HT would cost, as most of that in the increased price of the 4593 compression driver.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Peter, did you ever reach out to Jeff and see what he will do for you?
Yes I heard back from Jeff. He offered to reimburse me somewhat for the extra I paid. I turned it down. Told him I can handle this as I am a hobby woodworker. I had built my last 9 speaker system from raw driver kits and know how to veneer and finish. Told Jeff I just ask him to take extra time to examine the cabinets for future custom orders. I bet most of my issue was my order being part of the end of year crush as Jeff was trying to get caught back up. Maybe I am more picky than others or maybe I just do a better finish job myself.

Heard from Mark Seaton also. He told me that Jeff no longer uses the same cabinet shop as he does.

They do seem to have different business models as Mark offers set options in veneer and does not do custom work (or very rarely) so he probably has far tighter control on the quality of cabinets. Jeff does virtually all his custom finishes as single orders to his shop as he doesn't stock enclosures unlike Mark who keeps his various finishes in stock ready to ship.

I had originally wanted to purchase an all Seaton setup but the cost was quite a bit more than I could afford. I did order the Submersives which I absolutely love and looking closely at the veneer work and finish work shows real differences compared to the JTRs. I sure can't complain about the JTR sound quality!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Thumbs up

Quote:
I am thinking about grapes myself, I thought about getting some property and just growing grapes. Wineries are exploding here. They found that where we live, the weather, climate and soil resemble that of French vineyards and being in-between the bay and ocean is supposed to be great for grapes? Some of the wines here are already getting great reviews and most of these vineyards are not even close to matured yet. Yeah its pretty cool. Large plots of land here are tuning quick to grapes.

http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifest...rime-time.html
Yea these grapes are sold to the Welches plants up there in Washington state. But its not a full time gig and yeilds a nice little chunk every year...Plus that basement...

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 939
for anyone thinking about a pre-amp - this is a really nice price for brand new Onkyo 5508 pre-amp on ebay. I paid $250 less than this for used and that was a good price IMO.
This pre-amp has every single available current bell and whistle available with the exception of 4k.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-PRSC55...p2054897.l4275

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'd like to get some input on placement for my surround speakers. I have (2) Volt V10s on the way along with (2) of the angled surround flat packs from DIY Sound Group.

These will be paired with my (3) 228HTs and (1) Cap S2 (shown in the first picture below). As you can see in the next two pictures, placement options will not be ideal for the SL and SR channels. Note that the distance between the top of the door frame and the ceiling is 12" and the height of the V10 enclosure is 14", so the SL would not be able to flush mount above the door.

A few options I am considering are below. If anyone has any suggestions on placement and/or methods for mounting please let me know. I'm trying to make do with the limited space that I have!

1. SL flush mounted on the rear wall facing forward towards the TV.
1. SR flush mounted on the rear wall facing forward towards the TV.

2. SL flush mounted on the LH wall just forward of the angled door frame wall facing towards the middle of the room.
2. SR flush mounted on the rear wall facing forward towards the TV.

3. SL flush mounted on the LH wall just forward of the angled door frame wall facing towards the middle of the room.
3. SR flush mounted on the RH wall between the rear wall and window facing towards the MLP.

4. SL mounted to the ceiling above the door frame and facing towards the MLP (the RH side of the speaker enclosure would be touching the angled wall above the door frame and there would be space behind the speaker enclosure and the LH wall).
4. SR flush mounted on the RH wall between the rear wall and window facing towards the MLP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 01, 1 48 09 PM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	124930   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	124938   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	124946  
Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Whatever you decide you will be impressed with the Volt speakers. Great speaker for the price! I have mine flanked to the left and right slightly behind the MLP facing in towards the MLP. I would recommend the same or whatever position gives you the most direct facing to your MLP.

My Setup Thread
Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
for anyone thinking about a pre-amp - this is a really nice price for brand new Onkyo 5508 pre-amp on ebay. I paid $250 less than this for used and that was a good price IMO.
This pre-amp has every single available current bell and whistle available with the exception of 4k.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-PRSC55...p2054897.l4275
I knew that one day you and your deal posting would get me into trouble. As you know I have a hiss on my Sherbourn PA 7-350. I think you had the same thing and if I recall you fixed the problem by switching to a preamp with balanced outputs. My current denon 4311 lacks this output so I can't try it for myself to verify if this would also fix my problem. But is this what you experienced?

My JTR Noesis 212HT's will be even more sensitive than my Klipsch so it won't get any better for me. Actually I can even hear the hiss on my low sensitivity triad surrounds! There is no audible hiss with the denon 4311 however so it really is the Sherbourn. It would stink to be locked into an expensive preamp with balanced outputs forever though.

Now on the other hand I suppose I could keep the 4311 and sell the Sherbourn. I would then need to buy some amplification if I felt the AVR would not cut it. The denon 4311 states that it can handle 4 ohm speakers. I was not able to detect any amplification problems at reference when the 212's were over here. My surrounds are triad in wall bronze and I will need to check on their impedance. If I was able to sell the Sherbourn and stick with the AVR that would certainly be welcome. The Sherbourn might need to be sold locally since it is a 100 lb behemoth!

Hmm. I think I need some opinions here.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 22
FYI- My Triple 12LF's will be packed up in the next few days for my move. If anyone is interested make an offer before they are packed up and put away for a while!!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I knew that one day you and your deal posting would get me into trouble. As you know I have a hiss on my Sherbourn PA 7-350. I think you had the same thing and if I recall you fixed the problem by switching to a preamp with balanced outputs. My current denon 4311 lacks this output so I can't try it for myself to verify if this would also fix my problem. But is this what you experienced?

My JTR Noesis 212HT's will be even more sensitive than my Klipsch so it won't get any better for me. Actually I can even hear the hiss on my low sensitivity triad surrounds! There is no audible hiss with the denon 4311 however so it really is the Sherbourn. It would stink to be locked into an expensive preamp with balanced outputs forever though.

Now on the other hand I suppose I could keep the 4311 and sell the Sherbourn. I would then need to buy some amplification if I felt the AVR would not cut it. The denon 4311 states that it can handle 4 ohm speakers. I was not able to detect any amplification problems at reference when the 212's were over here. My surrounds are triad in wall bronze and I will need to check on their impedance. If I was able to sell the Sherbourn and stick with the AVR that would certainly be welcome. The Sherbourn might need to be sold locally since it is a 100 lb behemoth!

Honestly in your situation I would sell the Sherbourn. Yes, I got rid of my any noticeable hiss by buying the XLR equipped Onkyo 5508 preamp. However, with the Sherbourn amp all my speakers are too senstive to be calibrated by Audyssey. The Mackie and the JTR are all set at -12dB which is outside of the range of the auto calibration features. So I had to set a new reference level of -10 on the AVR. That annoyed me because my pre-amp display didn't read 0 at reference. (OCD, I know) - So I bought seven cheap 10dB XLR attenuators. Guess what - the cheap attenuators work and all measure identically in frequency response to no attenuator, but they brought back my hiss. I suppose I could try a higher quality attenuator - but they get expensive fast and I already verified they all are perfect in regards to just equally lowering spl level and not affecting frequency response. So would a more expensive attenuator get rid of the hiss? I dont know - but it's all becoming FAR too big a headache. If you have senstive speakers in a smaller room (or close proximity) I don't think the Sherbourn amp with its fixed 32dB amplification is a good match. I've been considering selling mine as well and going back to a normal AVR or seperate amps. But I'll probably wait for ATMOS equipped AVRs to come out to make the next switch. The Sherbourn would be an excellent match to low sensitivity speakers - but I've found it to be a headache for high sensitivity speakers. I do not think you need more than the Denon 4311 you have for the 212HT to easily hit reference (with plenty of headroom to spare) in your small to medium sized room. One thing to note (not that I believe in any way you need it for the 212HT) - but the Sherbourn amp is a power pool according to reivews - they aren't dedicated amps - meaning if you run just two or three channels - you get the entire power pool directed towards the two or three speakers - not just the rated 350 per channel for seven channels. So one could use the Sherbourn 7-350 like you'd use an Emotiva XPA-3 -- as a L/C/R amplifier - but you do NOT need it with the 212HT.

selll it.
GIEGAR likes this.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

Last edited by Archaea; 06-19-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am currently running a 4520 with a 5.2 JTR 212 mains and JTR Single 8's and there is no need for an amp. I am sure the 4311 would be no different.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Honestly in your situation I would sell the Sherbourn. Yes, I got rid of my any noticeable hiss by buying the XLR equipped Onkyo 5508 preamp. However, with the Sherbourn amp all my speakers are too senstive to be calibrated by Audyssey. The Mackie and the JTR are all set at -12dB which is outside of the range of the auto calibration features. So I had to set a new reference level of -10 on the AVR. That annoyed me because my pre-amp display didn't read 0 at reference. (OCD, I know) - So I bought seven cheap 10dB XLR attenuators. Guess what - the cheap attenuators work and all measure identically in frequency response to no attenuator, but they brought back my hiss. I suppose I could try a higher quality attenuator - but they get expensive fast and I already verified they all are perfect in regards to just equally lowering spl level and not affecting frequency response. So would a more expensive attenuator get rid of the hiss? I dont know - but it's all becoming FAR too big a headache. If you have senstive speakers in a smaller room (or close proximity) I don't think the Sherbourn amp with its fixed 32dB amplification is a good match. I've been considering selling mine as well and going back to a normal AVR or seperate amps. But I'll probably wait for ATMOS equipped AVRs to come out to make the next switch. The Sherbourn would be an excellent match to low sensitivity speakers - but I've found it to be a headache for high sensitivity speakers. I do not think you need more than the Denon 4311 you have for the 212HT to easily hit reference (with plenty of headroom to spare) in your small to medium sized room. One thing to note (not that I believe in any way you need it for the 212HT) - but the Sherbourn amp is a power pool according to reivews - they aren't dedicated amps - meaning if you run just two or three channels - you get the power pool directed towards two or three speakers - not just the rated 350 per channel. So one could use the Sherbourn 7-350 like you'd use an Emotiva XPA-3 -- as a L/C/R amplifier - but you do NOT need it with the 212HT.

selll it.

The only thing audyssey is not doing is your trims so you get 0. You still get 100% of the calibration regardless what it sets your trims at. The internal trims go to -20.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 06-19-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

-20 internal trims. What does that mean Nate? My trims max at -12db on my 5508?.?.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 06-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
-20 internal trims. What does that mean Nate? My trims max at -12db on my 5508?.?.
I think he is saying that for calibration purposes Audyssey can really "trim" up to -20 dB. So for example, you run an Audyssey calibration and it "maxes" your trim levels at -12. You use an SPL meter to check the actual level of your speakers and they read at 80 dB, which means they should be set at -17.

This just means that when you are at -5 dB MV you are really at reference, but what Nate is saying is that you did not lose any calibration information because Audyssey can "internally trim" up to -20 dB. Essentially you would only have to worry about issues in the calibration if your speakers were at > 83 dB on your SPL meter. This would mean you are > 8 dB past the "max" trim of -12, which means you have exceeded the "internal limit" of -20 dB for the Audyssey calibration.

I have to note that I have no idea if this is how Audyssey actually works, I am just interpreting what I think Nate meant!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sold my Sherbourn and shipped it to Atlanta. I sent it on a pallet via YRC freight. Keeps it from rolling it's way to wherever it is going. If you have a friend or any connection to a freight company it should be like 115 ish to ship it. I bought a Denon 4520 and am powering my LCR Triple 8's and two Volt 10 speakers on surround duty. I am also going to add some cheap (as long as it doesn't compromise SQ and add distortion) little monitors in the height, wide, and surround back positions. I have had no issues with amplification and have been to +10 on music. I recommend listing on ebay and then making the deal outside of ebay to avoid fees and just use Paypal to keep it secure. I sold mine there and also tipped Beast for the sale of his as I had like 5 guys hit me up on the amp.

My Setup Thread
Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audyssey can internally EQ more than the users trims show. Even though the user can only adjust from -12, the internal EQ actually goes to something like -20. The trims are nothing more than setting your reference at 0. The internal EQ goes much farther.

You can either just manually up your trims to match or use attenuators. Either way, your actual EQ will be the same.

We've discussed this quite a few times on this thread actually. Even got that answer from audyssey themselves.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Honestly in your situation I would sell the Sherbourn. Yes, I got rid of my any noticeable hiss by buying the XLR equipped Onkyo 5508 preamp. However, with the Sherbourn amp all my speakers are too senstive to be calibrated by Audyssey. The Mackie and the JTR are all set at -12dB which is outside of the range of the auto calibration features. So I had to set a new reference level of -10 on the AVR. That annoyed me because my pre-amp display didn't read 0 at reference. (OCD, I know) - So I bought seven cheap 10dB XLR attenuators. Guess what - the cheap attenuators work and all measure identically in frequency response to no attenuator, but they brought back my hiss. I suppose I could try a higher quality attenuator - but they get expensive fast and I already verified they all are perfect in regards to just equally lowering spl level and not affecting frequency response. So would a more expensive attenuator get rid of the hiss? I dont know - but it's all becoming FAR too big a headache. If you have senstive speakers in a smaller room (or close proximity) I don't think the Sherbourn amp with its fixed 32dB amplification is a good match. I've been considering selling mine as well and going back to a normal AVR or seperate amps. But I'll probably wait for ATMOS equipped AVRs to come out to make the next switch. The Sherbourn would be an excellent match to low sensitivity speakers - but I've found it to be a headache for high sensitivity speakers. I do not think you need more than the Denon 4311 you have for the 212HT to easily hit reference (with plenty of headroom to spare) in your small to medium sized room. One thing to note (not that I believe in any way you need it for the 212HT) - but the Sherbourn amp is a power pool according to reivews - they aren't dedicated amps - meaning if you run just two or three channels - you get the entire power pool directed towards the two or three speakers - not just the rated 350 per channel for seven channels. So one could use the Sherbourn 7-350 like you'd use an Emotiva XPA-3 -- as a L/C/R amplifier - but you do NOT need it with the 212HT.

selll it.
I was hoping you would say that. Now I can sell it and spend the dough on an upgrade of some sort. Maybe my DIY sub project to complement the OS.

Regarding the dB disparity. Its not just you. If reference wasn't reference on my dial then I would go a little nuts too.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am currently running a 4520 with a 5.2 JTR 212 mains and JTR Single 8's and there is no need for an amp. I am sure the 4311 would be no different.
Good to know someone is running these 4 ohm speakers with a similar amplifier.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I sold my Sherbourn and shipped it to Atlanta. I sent it on a pallet via YRC freight. Keeps it from rolling it's way to wherever it is going. If you have a friend or any connection to a freight company it should be like 115 ish to ship it. I bought a Denon 4520 and am powering my LCR Triple 8's and two Volt 10 speakers on surround duty. I am also going to add some cheap (as long as it doesn't compromise SQ and add distortion) little monitors in the height, wide, and surround back positions. I have had no issues with amplification and have been to +10 on music. I recommend listing on ebay and then making the deal outside of ebay to avoid fees and just use Paypal to keep it secure. I sold mine there and also tipped Beast for the sale of his as I had like 5 guys hit me up on the amp.
That's a great tip. Increases my chances of selling at a good price and quickly if I wanted.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Question answered. Thanks.

Maximum Un-Intelligence.

Last edited by L0nestar; 06-20-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Good to know someone is running these 4 ohm speakers with a similar amplifier.
I have 3 212's and 4 Slanted 8's on a 7.3 setup powered by a Denon X4000. I won't be calibrating audio for another week or two but so far I'm 100% satisfied.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I have 3 212's and 4 Slanted 8's on a 7.3 setup powered by a Denon X4000. I won't be calibrating audio for another week or two but so far I'm 100% satisfied.
what three subs are you running?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what three subs are you running?
2 Cap S2's in the front and a Power Sound Audio XS30 in the rear. I had a rather large null right down the center of the room and adding the XS30 helped a bunch.

Buzz

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, this thread sure has been dead since the format change! I've reverted to my car/truck hobby for now and found a guy willing to pay top dollar for my 86 regal T-Type, just by chance mind you.... and bought a 2008 GT500 with 753 RWHP and 11,500 km's for close to the same money! Turns out the guy lived 6 houses down from me on the other side of the street! He's 63, Built the car and never drives it.... but to make it even more bizarre, the guy who bought my car is his son!!! When we all figured it all out it felt like we were on a tv show... just totally bizzare how it all happened withing 2 days! lol

I will also be selling 1 more of my S8 sets. I just won't be using them any time soon. I have my list of guys who were interested, I'm gonna try local at first but will be willing to got 1300$ (US)split shipping in the US or 1300$ (CDN) split shipping in CDN as shipping will be much less expensive so the difference in money wont be too much.

they are pretty much brand new, I replaced them with my slant 8's and had use them for about a month.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
2 Cap S2's in the front and a Power Sound Audio XS30 in the rear. I had a rather large null right down the center of the room and adding the XS30 helped a bunch.
Those are great subs, I had dual XS30's before selling them and going with four large ported 18" diy subs. Actually I was like the third person to buy the XS30's when PSA released them.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those are great subs, I had dual XS30's before selling them and going with four large ported 18" diy subs. Actually I was like the third person to buy the XS30's when PSA released them.
I was going to use the XS30 in a family room 5.1 right outside the theater and I replaced it with a Velodyne 125 watt something or other I had in the garage. The XS30 is doing a great job in the theater and the Velodyne is fine for what I want it for. For what it's worth, I don't have a man cave, rather, I have a man floor - theater, bar, family room, office, game room, and driving range (not kidding).

Additionally, I've always been a video guy and when I decided to build this new house and have a dedicated theater I first started investigating quality speakers. I've read all the comments about hearing "everything" and what a huge difference speakers can make etc. etc..... This is the first (and last - I'm old) great set of speakers I've ever had and all I can say is that I'm totally floored. Listening to "my" music from the 60's and 70's is an entirely new experience and I'll be forever grateful to all of you on this forum for helping push me over the edge. The action film experience (especially bass) not withstanding, I have a high intensity light installed right over the MLP for reading while listening to music in my totally black theater. The experience is astounding.

Thanks to all of you and Jeff.

Buzz

Old 06-21-2014, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was going to use the XS30 in a family room 5.1 right outside the theater and I replaced it with a Velodyne 125 watt something or other I had in the garage. The XS30 is doing a great job in the theater and the Velodyne is fine for what I want it for. For what it's worth, I don't have a man cave, rather, I have a man floor - theater, bar, family room, office, game room, and driving range (not kidding).

Additionally, I've always been a video guy and when I decided to build this new house and have a dedicated theater I first started investigating quality speakers. I've read all the comments about hearing "everything" and what a huge difference speakers can make etc. etc..... This is the first (and last - I'm old) great set of speakers I've ever had and all I can say is that I'm totally floored. Listening to "my" music from the 60's and 70's is an entirely new experience and I'll be forever grateful to all of you on this forum for helping push me over the edge. The action film experience (especially bass) not withstanding, I have a high intensity light installed right over the MLP for reading while listening to music in my totally black theater. The experience is astounding.

Thanks to all of you and Jeff.
And thanks to you for making me that demo disc Buzz I enjoy using it. The little menu effects are cool too.

I recently bought an Oppo 103D and the Spears and Munsell video calibration disc. Between calibrating my panel and the darbee processing chip I have kinda caught the video side of the bug. Was in a TV shop looking at the UHD sets today and there was a 65inch LG for like 2400. I am 8 ft from my display so 65 is a decent size for that distance. Bigger better yes but cost is a factor lol! But the picture was just straight unreal! Clearest thing I have ever seen! I'm thinking maybe like 6 months or so

Anyway I have always told myself 5 channel in my small room is enough. That I don't have room for more speakers. And I don't. But if I get little tiny satellite speakers on little swivel mounts then hey I can do it! My first system was a 7 channel Definitive Technology system that included a couple Pro monitor 1000 speakers. Great little speaker honestly. Not for mains for any crazies like us but they would do for many as mains. But as surrounds or heights or wides they would be great. Well I picked up a little Pro monitor 600 set. Gonna add wides and heights and sell the little sub and center. I may toy with a HPF and LPF via mini dsp on the little sub and put near field to see how it would do as a MBM. But I get great bass so most likely it will not stay. I was just thinking I would add it in after Audyssey and set it for like 50hz to 120hz. But these little Pro monitor 600's really are great little tiny satellites and will allow me to get the surround effects out wider and up higher all while keeping cost very low and quality still pretty decent.

My Setup Thread

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com