Official JTR speaker thread - Page 701 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21001 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I'll never go with anything over the S8 for surrounds, some people can't grasp how good they really are! They easily run beyond reference in my room, no distortion and sounded great doing it. They are in fact my favorite JTR speaker (other than the 215s )
+1 - Agree wholeheartedly
dlbeck is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21002 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Or mine....that is if the 218's were to come out. lol
Have you guys caught that DIY sound group mega speaker thread? Eric has on plan, as big as freaking possible. He is talking about using 21 inch B&C drivers! and of course a super high end CD or something similar...He will definitely have a gap between his current top speaker and this to fill.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21003 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
My plan is to run my 4520 with the front two or three driven by an amp and I will let the Denon 4520 handle all the surrounds. I have an XPA 3, but I think I am going to list it and get an Inuke or a Pevey IPR5000 DSP to run the 215's. I would hold off a couple of months as these units are going to drop like hot potatoes when the Atmos AVRs and pre pros hit the streets.
The 4520 is on closeout sale until the stock is out. I ordered mine from JDSmoothie. Really was surprised at the price.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21004 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I was discussing your setup with Jeff the other day. He still maintains the Single 8's are his most under rated speaker for HT and I agree. When I ran a Slanted 8 as center channel recently, the dialog ineligibility was outstanding. Bigger isn't always better.
So just curious. Obviously the S8 is very much loved. Also you and others use the Triple 8 as surrounds. What is the head to head comparison between the T8 and S8? I know it seems the T8 with more drivers would be better but doesn't the S8 use a slightly different CD? And of course the different crossover design has a sound character effect. So is it possible the S8 sounds better?

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21005 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,272
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
So just curious. Obviously the S8 is very much loved. Also you and others use the Triple 8 as surrounds. What is the head to head comparison between the T8 and S8? I know it seems the T8 with more drivers would be better but doesn't the S8 use a slightly different CD? And of course the different crossover design has a sound character effect. So is it possible the S8 sounds better?
I've used both, I'm pretty sure S8 and T8 use the same CD. You'd gain a few dB's of midbass but otherwise they sounded identical IMO. The reason people use the T8's over the S8's is because the price is so close, they figure, for a few hundred more, why not? Well, at least that the way I would see it lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #21006 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post
Question for you all - how many of you are using a high end receiver with no external amps with your JTR's? Would something like a Denon 4520CI give it all the power I need? I'm crossing my 8HT-LP mains at 80hz to the subs (JBL 8320's for surrounds).


I have been using an Outlaw 7500 on my 8HT-LP's, but just took it out of the system temporarily to do some testing in another room with some speakers. It got me thinking, do I need the Outlaw 7500 if I were to upgrade my processor to a receiver with Audyssey xt32 (Denon 4520ci or Marantz SR7008)? I have been wanting to upgrade the processor for some time, but still waiting for a xt32 processor in my price range - hasn't come around yet. Also, the Outlaw does have some hiss feedback through my JTR. Maybe I can sell the amp to fund a new receiver and maybe come out ahead after selling the processor and Antimode as well..
I am running a 4520 I got a couple months ago. I use all 9 channels of amplification. L&R Triple 8HT's, Center is Triple 8LP, Surrounds are Volt 10's from DIY SG (reasonably sensitive speaker) And then I added 4 little Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 600's for heights and wides. Obviously not the worlds greatest speaker but cheap and decent little tiny things. It was the only option to use these with little swivel mounts. I would have rather gone with more Volt 10's but I am in my LR and that just isn't possible.

Wife and I have been talking with a friend about buying his home. I would get to have a dedicated theater room and would build right with S8's and upgraded mains and such. Possible double car garage conversion, room within a room build! Has a bonus room but garage conversion could allow for higher ceilings and obvious sound containment and everything I want to do from the ground up.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21007 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post
Question for you all - how many of you are using a high end receiver with no external amps with your JTR's? Would something like a Denon 4520CI give it all the power I need? I'm crossing my 8HT-LP mains at 80hz to the subs (JBL 8320's for surrounds).


I have been using an Outlaw 7500 on my 8HT-LP's, but just took it out of the system temporarily to do some testing in another room with some speakers. It got me thinking, do I need the Outlaw 7500 if I were to upgrade my processor to a receiver with Audyssey xt32 (Denon 4520ci or Marantz SR7008)? I have been wanting to upgrade the processor for some time, but still waiting for a xt32 processor in my price range - hasn't come around yet. Also, the Outlaw does have some hiss feedback through my JTR. Maybe I can sell the amp to fund a new receiver and maybe come out ahead after selling the processor and Antimode as well..
I am running a 4520 I got a couple months ago. I use all 9 channels of amplification. L&R Triple 8HT's, Center is Triple 8LP, Surrounds are Volt 10's from DIY SG (reasonably sensitive speaker) And then I added 4 little Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 600's for heights and wides. Obviously not the worlds greatest speaker but cheap and decent little tiny things. It was the only option to use these with little swivel mounts. I would have rather gone with more Volt 10's but I am in my LR and that just isn't possible.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21008 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I've used both, I'm pretty sure S8 and T8 use the same CD. You'd gain a few dB's of midbass but otherwise they sounded identical IMO. The reason people use the T8's over the S8's is because the price is so close, they figure, for a few hundred more, why not? Well, at least that the way I would see it lol
Ok I see

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21009 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
btinindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This is pure speculation as I have not heard the S8, but the T8 (I have heard this one and the T12 on numerous occasions) is a 3 way design vs a 2 way for the S8. For surround duty, I doubt this would ever reveal itself as a benefit, but if you were to compare in an LCR configuration or in a 2 ch music scenario, I believe you would see some advantage in the T8 especially as it relates to dialogue, i.e. human voice. I don't believe it would be a lot different, but I do believe there would be benefit. Jeff is certainly a crossover wizard though and really squeezes every bit of performance out of the drivers that he chooses.


BT1
btinindy is online now  
post #21010 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I've used both, I'm pretty sure S8 and T8 use the same CD. You'd gain a few dB's of midbass but otherwise they sounded identical IMO. The reason people use the T8's over the S8's is because the price is so close, they figure, for a few hundred more, why not? Well, at least that the way I would see it lol
The S8 uses the 4550 while the T8 uses the 4540 . The coaxial in the S8 is the 8cn522. http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_8cn552
This is a sweet coaxial driver.


Chris

Last edited by countryWV; 07-04-2014 at 11:34 AM.
countryWV is offline  
post #21011 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,272
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
The S8 uses the 4550 while the T8 uses the 4540 . The coaxial in the S8 is the 8cn522. http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_8cn552
This is a sweet coaxial driver.


Chris
good to know!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #21012 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
The S8 uses the 4550 while the T8 uses the 4540 . The coaxial in the S8 is the 8cn522. http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_8cn552
This is a sweet coaxial driver.


Chris
Ok yea. What I was thinking. Different speaker and driver design. To the uninformed it would seem a S8 is just a T8 but smaller, but not so

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21013 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just finished a demo of the XLS2500 with my LS9's, to my ears, and with my system it was a bit sterile sounding compared to my XPR-1 monoblocks. I spoke with Dennis, he recommended the M3-600M to me with either my LS9's or if I get the 215RT's even over the more powerful M3-1500M. I have a feeling the M3-600M would sound better than the XLS amps, i may sell my XPR-1 mono's just to give them a shot.
laeriq likes this.
rjh65@verizon.ne is online now  
post #21014 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
The 4520 is on closeout sale until the stock is out. I ordered mine from JDSmoothie. Really was surprised at the price.
Yeah I heard something around about that. I think I heard there was a 2 day sale on them also. I wanna say that the X7200 is said to be the replacement model or flagship model??

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I've used both, I'm pretty sure S8 and T8 use the same CD. You'd gain a few dB's of midbass but otherwise they sounded identical IMO. The reason people use the T8's over the S8's is because the price is so close, they figure, for a few hundred more, why not? Well, at least that the way I would see it lol
I could be wrong but I always thought your speakers are only as good as the content that is sent to them. With surround, I did not think the surrounds were sent enough signal to require a bigger speaker? Maybe for music, but I would not think movies. But I am another person that loves the single 8's for surrounds. I still remember the first night I hooked them up and replaced a pair of bookshelf's I was using for my surrounds. It was incredible. They really do bring a new dimension to movies.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #21015 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yeah I heard something around about that. I think I heard there was a 2 day sale on them also. I wanna say that the X7200 is said to be the replacement model or flagship model??

I could be wrong but I always thought your speakers are only as good as the content that is sent to them. With surround, I did not think the surrounds were sent enough signal to require a bigger speaker? Maybe for music, but I would not think movies. But I am another person that loves the single 8's for surrounds. I still remember the first night I hooked them up and replaced a pair of bookshelf's I was using for my surrounds. It was incredible. They really do bring a new dimension to movies.
All the talk about the S8's is getting me anxious.. I think I'm more excited to hear the S8's instead of the 3 215's. Lol. And I'm glad I decided to order them to replace my existing def tech surrounds. Another blind buy for me.
rhed is online now  
post #21016 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
All the talk about the S8's is getting me anxious.. I think I'm more excited to hear the S8's instead of the 3 215's. Lol. And I'm glad I decided to order them to replace my existing def tech surrounds. Another blind buy for me.
A couple of months ago for the fun on it, I ran my S8's in 2 channel with subs for a couple of hours with music. I was literally blown away.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #21017 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
A couple of months ago for the fun on it, I ran my S8's in 2 channel with subs for a couple of hours with music. I was literally blown away.
Reef.. I really want to hear the S8's in multichannel music. That's mostly due the purchase of the S8's. Wait.. No? It's hanging out in this thread with bad influence bro's here that made me buy JTR's.. Lol.. Nah, really though, I just got into multichannel music in less then a few months now. And really love it. Norah Jones in SACD.. Man her voice is just hypnotic..
rhed is online now  
post #21018 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
A couple of months ago for the fun on it, I ran my S8's in 2 channel with subs for a couple of hours with music. I was literally blown away.
Really? Maybe I was expecting more based on comments like yours and others but I wasn't that impressed by my S8s when I compared them to my 212s. Fine for surround duty but I doubt I'd have JTR speakers if that was the first JTR speaker I'd heard. Maybe it's the significant difference in voicing from the 212s...not sure.
dgage is offline  
post #21019 of 30542 Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Really? Maybe I was expecting more based on comments like yours and others but I wasn't that impressed by my S8s when I compared them to my 212s. Fine for surround duty but I doubt I'd have JTR speakers if that was the first JTR speaker I'd heard. Maybe it's the significant difference in voicing from the 212s...not sure.
Meh, so many variables. One could get lucky when they just plop them up for a listen in respect to room acoustics. And then someone like you could get bad room results. Of course I am guessing most who "Just try them momentarily" as mains would do. I tried that with my Volts 10's. Not a bad little speaker at all and at the price point I am satisfied with them as surrounds. But I couldn't live with them as mains. Need at least some better performance there than they would give for mains.

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21020 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Really? Maybe I was expecting more based on comments like yours and others but I wasn't that impressed by my S8s when I compared them to my 212s. Fine for surround duty but I doubt I'd have JTR speakers if that was the first JTR speaker I'd heard. Maybe it's the significant difference in voicing from the 212s...not sure.
Well yeah. For what the single 8 is, it's pretty incredible, but when compared to the 212, there is no comparison, but actually, they do give off some of the same sparkle. The January GTG at Gorilla's, Jeff brought a pair of S8's paired with a pair of S2's and I think everybody was shocked and if I remember there were lots that said the S8's were the surprise of the day including myself. IMO they sounded better than some of towers we had listened to earlier.

The past GTG in April we had compared a few as most know. Beast and I spent a bit of time going through the cycles and listening to each one and found his were a bit brighter, but sounded good. They were also a little more efficient.I liked the Clops, and if I was picking an 8" coaxial for my mains, I might prefer his, but I would actually like to do that again however set em up a little better, level match and give a good hour of seat time with them. Be a good subject for the next GTG, Battle of the surrounds.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-05-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #21021 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Well yeah. For what the single 8 is, it's pretty incredible, but when compared to the 212, there is no comparison, but actually, they do give off some of the same sparkle. The January GTG at Gorilla's, Jeff brought a pair of S8's paired with a pair of S2's and I think everybody was shocked and if I remember there were lots that said the S8's were the surprise of the day including myself. IMO they sounded better than some of towers we had listed to earlier.

The past GTG in April we had compared a few as most know. Beast and I spent a bit of time going through the cycles and listening to each one and found his were a bit brighter, but sounded good. They were also a little more efficient.I liked the Clops, and if I was picking an 8" coaxial for my mains, I might prefer his, but I would actually like to do that again however set em up a little better, level match and give a good hour of seat time with them. Be a good subject for the next GTG, Battle of the surrounds.
Maybe it was my expectations based on how good everyone said they were at the GTG when run with the S2. As mains I wasn't impressed at all. As surrounds, I like they are dynamic and sensitive enough to somewhat keep up with the 212s. I guess this is an example of preconceived notions/expectations being set overly high based on 3rd party experience/comments. Regardless, I am happy with them as surrounds and they will stay in my room for a long time.
dgage is offline  
post #21022 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,272
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 492
I could use the S8's as mains. In fact, at loud levels with subs, I prefered them over my old 212's.... I know that sounds crazy but I found the 212's pretty bright when they were really loud, the S8's don;t have that same brightness at all and I could stand them louder in my room than the 212's.

I've had this conversation a few times over PM's with a bunch of people, I did find the 212's bright at high volume, the same couldn't be said for my T8's or T12's, At the same volume, I never found them bright. The 212's even though they were a bit bright, still did IMO do everything better but I had to tame down the upper Freq's to my liking.

They do lack the fidelity of the 212's, thats for sure, it's a horrible comparison really, a small bookshelf vs a reference 3 way speaker.... that being said, IMO they still do very well!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #21023 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Good points N8DOGG. I definitely had to tame the highs on the 212s some and I'm still not exactly enamored by the midbass or lack thereof on the sealed 212s. I'll probably be selling the sealed 212s and getting something different in the next few months. But I'm pretty sure the S8s are staying.
dgage is offline  
post #21024 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,845
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Speaking of harsh highs, I posted this in another thread. I'm sure many of you know this already but just in case:



"I have found that perceived harsh highs are NOT up high where many people think they are .
For me harsh highs are if there is a peak roughly between 2khz and 4khz.

Even 8khz - 10khz boosted does not sound harsh, it sounds more shimmery. 12-15 khz and up boosted seems to add an "airy" sound.

I think if you bring down the eq a couple of db's between 2khz and 4khz you will get rid of any perceived harshness when you crank it up to reference."



Anyway, I've tinkered around a lot with EQ over the years and this ^ is what I have found to be true for my ears.
lbrown105 likes this.
carp is online now  
post #21025 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,272
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 492
For me carp, it's all the 4-6K range. I don't notice it as much with the 215's but I really had to tame it down on my 212's in my room. In a big open room, they don't seem to get to bad until way beyond reference.

So I pretty much agree with you that it's the lower end that makes me cringe lol. I can take bass up a wazoo though!

On WOTW, when the pod emerges, it's foot flys up from underground and steps on a car and the sound of the glass shattering, is life knives in my ear at reference LOL The S8's at the same volume are the same spl but not painfull at all. The 215's IMO are right in the middle and IMO are about perfect!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #21026 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,845
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
For me carp, it's all the 4-6K range. I don't notice it as much with the 215's but I really had to tame it down on my 212's in my room. In a big open room, they don't seem to get to bad until way beyond reference.

So I pretty much agree with you that it's the lower end that makes me cringe lol. I can take bass up a wazoo though!

On WOTW, when the pod emerges, it's foot flys up from underground and steps on a car and the sound of the glass shattering, is life knives in my ear at reference LOL The S8's at the same volume are the same spl but not painfull at all. The 215's IMO are right in the middle and IMO are about perfect!


I'll have to try that scene. I found that (and the glass breaking sign shattering when the concrete was breaking apart) VERY harsh on the eD Cinema 12's but not at all on the 212's.

Stitch1 was saying something about the 215's that I very much agree with. It seems like you can crank the bass without missing detail more than any speaker I have heard. While listening to music we would go back and forth turning the bass up and down and flat with the inuke dsp and the detail of the mids and highs stayed intact the whole time.

I'm sure technically you are masking some frequencies but subjectively it doesn't seem like that. It's pretty amazing and awesome to be able to do that for guys like us that like the bass HOT!

My favorite reaction from him was, "these speakers are like an amusement park ride!"
carp is online now  
post #21027 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Member
 
kronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well, I couldn't even hold out a week. I had to take N8dogg up on his offer for the pair of S8s.

Nobody else can post a deal on S8's for awhile because my bank account can't take it :-)
carp and dgage like this.
kronin is offline  
post #21028 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,845
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Well, I couldn't even hold out a week. I had to take N8dogg up on his offer for the pair of S8s.

Nobody else can post a deal on S8's for awhile because my bank account can't take it :-)
Enjoy! I'm jealous.
carp is online now  
post #21029 of 30542 Old 07-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Well, I couldn't even hold out a week. I had to take N8dogg up on his offer for the pair of S8s.

Nobody else can post a deal on S8's for awhile because my bank account can't take it :-)
You're up to 5 posts and 2 of them were announcing JTR speaker purchases. Yep, your bank account is in serious trouble...215s anyone?
dgage is offline  
post #21030 of 30542 Old 07-06-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Well, I couldn't even hold out a week. I had to take N8dogg up on his offer for the pair of S8s.

Nobody else can post a deal on S8's for awhile because my bank account can't take it :-)
Why don't you add a pair of 212's to those S8's.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off