post #21031 of 24779 Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
A couple of months ago for the fun on it, I ran my S8's in 2 channel with subs for a couple of hours with music. I was literally blown away.
Reef.. I really want to hear the S8's in multichannel music. That's mostly due the purchase of the S8's. Wait.. No? It's hanging out in this thread with bad influence bro's here that made me buy JTR's.. Lol.. Nah, really though, I just got into multichannel music in less then a few months now. And really love it. Norah Jones in SACD.. Man her voice is just hypnotic..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21032 of 24779 Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
A couple of months ago for the fun on it, I ran my S8's in 2 channel with subs for a couple of hours with music. I was literally blown away.
Really? Maybe I was expecting more based on comments like yours and others but I wasn't that impressed by my S8s when I compared them to my 212s. Fine for surround duty but I doubt I'd have JTR speakers if that was the first JTR speaker I'd heard. Maybe it's the significant difference in voicing from the 212s...not sure.
post #21033 of 24779 Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Really? Maybe I was expecting more based on comments like yours and others but I wasn't that impressed by my S8s when I compared them to my 212s. Fine for surround duty but I doubt I'd have JTR speakers if that was the first JTR speaker I'd heard. Maybe it's the significant difference in voicing from the 212s...not sure.
Meh, so many variables. One could get lucky when they just plop them up for a listen in respect to room acoustics. And then someone like you could get bad room results. Of course I am guessing most who "Just try them momentarily" as mains would do. I tried that with my Volts 10's. Not a bad little speaker at all and at the price point I am satisfied with them as surrounds. But I couldn't live with them as mains. Need at least some better performance there than they would give for mains.
post #21034 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Well yeah. For what the single 8 is, it's pretty incredible, but when compared to the 212, there is no comparison, but actually, they do give off some of the same sparkle. The January GTG at Gorilla's, Jeff brought a pair of S8's paired with a pair of S2's and I think everybody was shocked and if I remember there were lots that said the S8's were the surprise of the day including myself. IMO they sounded better than some of towers we had listened to earlier.

The past GTG in April we had compared a few as most know. Beast and I spent a bit of time going through the cycles and listening to each one and found his were a bit brighter, but sounded good. They were also a little more efficient.I liked the Clops, and if I was picking an 8" coaxial for my mains, I might prefer his, but I would actually like to do that again however set em up a little better, level match and give a good hour of seat time with them. Be a good subject for the next GTG, Battle of the surrounds.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-05-2014 at 09:07 AM.
post #21035 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well yeah. For what the single 8 is, it's pretty incredible, but when compared to the 212, there is no comparison, but actually, they do give off some of the same sparkle. The January GTG at Gorilla's, Jeff brought a pair of S8's paired with a pair of S2's and I think everybody was shocked and if I remember there were lots that said the S8's were the surprise of the day including myself. IMO they sounded better than some of towers we had listed to earlier.

The past GTG in April we had compared a few as most know. Beast and I spent a bit of time going through the cycles and listening to each one and found his were a bit brighter, but sounded good. They were also a little more efficient.I liked the Clops, and if I was picking an 8" coaxial for my mains, I might prefer his, but I would actually like to do that again however set em up a little better, level match and give a good hour of seat time with them. Be a good subject for the next GTG, Battle of the surrounds.
Maybe it was my expectations based on how good everyone said they were at the GTG when run with the S2. As mains I wasn't impressed at all. As surrounds, I like they are dynamic and sensitive enough to somewhat keep up with the 212s. I guess this is an example of preconceived notions/expectations being set overly high based on 3rd party experience/comments. Regardless, I am happy with them as surrounds and they will stay in my room for a long time.
post #21036 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I could use the S8's as mains. In fact, at loud levels with subs, I prefered them over my old 212's.... I know that sounds crazy but I found the 212's pretty bright when they were really loud, the S8's don;t have that same brightness at all and I could stand them louder in my room than the 212's.

I've had this conversation a few times over PM's with a bunch of people, I did find the 212's bright at high volume, the same couldn't be said for my T8's or T12's, At the same volume, I never found them bright. The 212's even though they were a bit bright, still did IMO do everything better but I had to tame down the upper Freq's to my liking.

They do lack the fidelity of the 212's, thats for sure, it's a horrible comparison really, a small bookshelf vs a reference 3 way speaker.... that being said, IMO they still do very well!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #21037 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Good points N8DOGG. I definitely had to tame the highs on the 212s some and I'm still not exactly enamored by the midbass or lack thereof on the sealed 212s. I'll probably be selling the sealed 212s and getting something different in the next few months. But I'm pretty sure the S8s are staying.
post #21038 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Speaking of harsh highs, I posted this in another thread. I'm sure many of you know this already but just in case:

"I have found that perceived harsh highs are NOT up high where many people think they are .
For me harsh highs are if there is a peak roughly between 2khz and 4khz.

Even 8khz - 10khz boosted does not sound harsh, it sounds more shimmery. 12-15 khz and up boosted seems to add an "airy" sound.

I think if you bring down the eq a couple of db's between 2khz and 4khz you will get rid of any perceived harshness when you crank it up to reference."

Anyway, I've tinkered around a lot with EQ over the years and this ^ is what I have found to be true for my ears.
lbrown105 likes this.
post #21039 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
For me carp, it's all the 4-6K range. I don't notice it as much with the 215's but I really had to tame it down on my 212's in my room. In a big open room, they don't seem to get to bad until way beyond reference.

So I pretty much agree with you that it's the lower end that makes me cringe lol. I can take bass up a wazoo though!

On WOTW, when the pod emerges, it's foot flys up from underground and steps on a car and the sound of the glass shattering, is life knives in my ear at reference LOL The S8's at the same volume are the same spl but not painfull at all. The 215's IMO are right in the middle and IMO are about perfect!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #21040 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
For me carp, it's all the 4-6K range. I don't notice it as much with the 215's but I really had to tame it down on my 212's in my room. In a big open room, they don't seem to get to bad until way beyond reference.

So I pretty much agree with you that it's the lower end that makes me cringe lol. I can take bass up a wazoo though!

On WOTW, when the pod emerges, it's foot flys up from underground and steps on a car and the sound of the glass shattering, is life knives in my ear at reference LOL The S8's at the same volume are the same spl but not painfull at all. The 215's IMO are right in the middle and IMO are about perfect!

I'll have to try that scene. I found that (and the glass breaking sign shattering when the concrete was breaking apart) VERY harsh on the eD Cinema 12's but not at all on the 212's.

Stitch1 was saying something about the 215's that I very much agree with. It seems like you can crank the bass without missing detail more than any speaker I have heard. While listening to music we would go back and forth turning the bass up and down and flat with the inuke dsp and the detail of the mids and highs stayed intact the whole time.

I'm sure technically you are masking some frequencies but subjectively it doesn't seem like that. It's pretty amazing and awesome to be able to do that for guys like us that like the bass HOT!

My favorite reaction from him was, "these speakers are like an amusement park ride!"
post #21041 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Well, I couldn't even hold out a week. I had to take N8dogg up on his offer for the pair of S8s.

Nobody else can post a deal on S8's for awhile because my bank account can't take it :-)
carp and dgage like this.
post #21042 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Well, I couldn't even hold out a week. I had to take N8dogg up on his offer for the pair of S8s.

Nobody else can post a deal on S8's for awhile because my bank account can't take it :-)
Enjoy! I'm jealous.
post #21043 of 24779 Old 07-05-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're up to 5 posts and 2 of them were announcing JTR speaker purchases. Yep, your bank account is in serious trouble...215s anyone?
post #21044 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:

Why don't you add a pair of 212's to those S8's.
post #21045 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHT View Post
I'm running my S8-HT's (LCR) and S8-LP's (surrounds) all off a Pio SC-35. I watch everything loud, at reference or slightly above and I've honestly never heard the amp clip, had the amp shut down or even heat up much for that matter. I also cross at 80hz and let my dual S2's handle the rest. I don't play a whole lot of music but I did the other week and was playing at +3MV with no problems. In fact, after about 3 hours at those levels everything was just cruising along. Hell, I felt the amp in the AVR and it was just warm to the touch.

I think, IMO, people start running into problems when they have much less efficient surrounds than their JTR mains. Running at those levels with some 89dB surrounds would tax the amp in most AVR's pretty quickly.. not to mention you'll most likely be wearing the tweeters.

What are your listening habits? Movies or music? Is this a 5.1 or 7.1 system?
Primarily this is for movies, currently 5.1, going to 7.1 eventually. Aside from them not clipping, any concerns in the dynamic ranges of action scenes being compressed?

Quote:
My plan is to run my 4520 with the front two or three driven by an amp and I will let the Denon 4520 handle all the surrounds. I have an XPA 3, but I think I am going to list it and get an Inuke or a Pevey IPR5000 DSP to run the 215's. I would hold off a couple of months as these units are going to drop like hot potatoes when the Atmos AVRs and pre pros hit the streets.
Good plan. The problem I have been having is the annoying speaker hiss that I don't get if connecting the speakers directly into a receiver. I am starting to feel that this is more of an annoyance, but worried that I would be missing something if dropping the amp from the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I am running a 4520 I got a couple months ago. I use all 9 channels of amplification. L&R Triple 8HT's, Center is Triple 8LP, Surrounds are Volt 10's from DIY SG (reasonably sensitive speaker) And then I added 4 little Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 600's for heights and wides. Obviously not the worlds greatest speaker but cheap and decent little tiny things. It was the only option to use these with little swivel mounts. I would have rather gone with more Volt 10's but I am in my LR and that just isn't possible.

Wife and I have been talking with a friend about buying his home. I would get to have a dedicated theater room and would build right with S8's and upgraded mains and such. Possible double car garage conversion, room within a room build! Has a bonus room but garage conversion could allow for higher ceilings and obvious sound containment and everything I want to do from the ground up.
No concerns on missing out on the extra power of an amp like my Outlaw 7500? Nice system!

Thanks all for your responses!
post #21046 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Here are a few shot of some new custom Slant 8's. These will be mounted on the ceiling and I wanted the dimensions to be a little wider with less depth coming down from the ceiling. Probably get them hooked up tomorrow. I finally have surrounds that can keep up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	150330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	150338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	150346  
asoofi1 likes this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #21047 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Here are a few shot of some new custom Slant 8's. These will be mounted on the ceiling and I wanted the dimensions to be a little wider with less depth coming down from the ceiling. Probably get them hooked up tomorrow. I finally have surrounds that can keep up.
Wow, those would fit my room sooo much better than the standard slant 8's I have.
post #21048 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Very nice Ib..
post #21049 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyguy View Post
Wow, those would fit my room sooo much better than the standard slant 8's I have.
we have a lot of the same speakers! how well do you like the JTR surrounds?

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #21050 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Very nice Ib..
thanks Rhed. Now I have to look at some mounting options because those brackets I showed you drop the speaker too low for my ceiling height (only 7'8" to begin with). I may just straight mount and cover the brackets with something aesthetically pleasing.

post #21051 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Do they have the 4 screw key ways on the back for hanging? If they do all you need is to mount a piece of 3/4 plywood to the ceiling same size as the back of the speaker. Cut the plywood to size, install the 4 screws being sure to account for the length of the slot it will slide, drill out a 2 1/2" hole to clear the connectors, paint the edges. I did it that way for my side wall speakers and should work fine in the ceiling if you can hit a stud with a couple big screws. I also used the big drywall screw anchors where there was no stud and it holds fine.
post #21052 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Wondering if you could mount those upside down and bounce them off the ceiling for an Atmos effect? A couple weeks ago they talked about angling your speakers upward to reflect off the ceiling on the Home Theater Geek podcast.
post #21053 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Do they have the 4 screw key ways on the back for hanging? If they do all you need is to mount a piece of 3/4 plywood to the ceiling same size as the back of the speaker. Cut the plywood to size, install the 4 screws being sure to account for the length of the slot it will slide, drill out a 2 1/2" hole to clear the connectors, paint the edges. I did it that way for my side wall speakers and should work fine in the ceiling if you can hit a stud with a couple big screws. I also used the big drywall screw anchors where there was no stud and it holds fine.
thanks for the advice Peter. Jeff did not put any hardware on the back for these. The good thing about my ceiling is it has 3/4" OSB behind the DW so I can mount these easily from a strength perspective. I may try the way you describe or just use 4 straight metal brackets per speaker. I may just do that if I can find some with some kind of covers for the brackets so it looks more finished.

post #21054 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Wondering if you could mount those upside down and bounce them off the ceiling for an Atmos effect? A couple weeks ago they talked about angling your speakers upward to reflect off the ceiling on the Home Theater Geek podcast.
that is interesting I will have to read more on that because it might work.

On a related note it will be interesting to see how many speakers are needed with Atmos to really make a difference. In a dedicated theater like yours (and all those surrounds) I am sure it will be unbelieveable. In my set up I am not sure.

post #21055 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

one thing I am finding that my system is excelling at is concert level reproduction of music in both two channel (with subs of course) and multi channel mode. Had some people over the other night and if you leave the remote volume up to them they turn it up to about +10dBFR (or more)on almost every song. I find it is best to let others control the volume to truly understand if the sound is good for them. From my perspective it sounds like the best concert sound I have ever hear and you can quickly go from 100 rows back to 5th row with a quick turn of the MV. Once I got the OS's properly aligned with the mains (and each other) it is astounding the slam they have without muddying up the mids and highs. I removed my near field subs which transferred a lot of bass through your seat but I didn't like that as much. Now it pounds 130+dB of bass through the air into your chest. I think the boundary gain my 212's have in the 80-125hz range is also really helping that slam effect. There is no doubt the sunfire is the weak link but soon it will be dedicated to surround duty only.

post #21056 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Is this the cheapest audyssey xt32 available?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2GA0X61199
post #21057 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
OK, time for a brief break from all the 215's (well-deserved, I'm sure) craziness... and yes, that's envy. If I only had the $$

Just pulled the trigger on 3 Triple 12HTs. Didn't have the funds for the Noesis 212s, let alone the 215s, and Jeff recommended the Triple 12s over the Noesis 228s because it's a 3 way speaker (better midrange) and has higher sensitivity. Now I just have to wait for delivery, then for the house to be finished so they have a nice place to go. I'm sure I'll hook them up before then though.

I'll be adding 4 surrounds and more subs down the road, but wanted to start off with a strong front stage. I currently have an SVS PB12-NSD in storage until the house is built.
Nice! I've been running T12's as my LRC for last 4yrs and have never looked back. You are going to LOVE them!

Congrats!
kronin likes this.
post #21058 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Hi Lance, nice what are the dimensions?

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #21059 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Is this the cheapest audyssey xt32 available?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2GA0X61199
It probably is Dot. But, beware that the Onkyo 818's version of XT32 does not include SubEQ HT for setting up filters for dual subs based on their combined response. There would be no point as the 818 is not a true ".2" - it sends the same signal to both sub output jacks via an internal y-splitter.

Not an issue if you run a single sub or totally symmetrical duals. Otherwise, not ideal.
post #21060 of 24779 Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Hi Lance, nice what are the dimensions?
Hi Rob, I'll measure them tmrw don't remember off the top of my head. If I remember correctly Jeff planned on keeping the internal volume the same but I'll check and get back to you.

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page