Official JTR speaker thread - Page 707 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21181 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I love that. Perfect looking curve IMO. All the more impressive it is coming from a full range speaker!



It's been almost 3 hours, what's the deal?
Sorry about the delay. Had to get several things done today so I put off speaker listening a little longer.

My first listening session consisted of me simply turning my system on and leaving the settings the same as they were when I had my Noesis 212HT's. Also, I didn't turn any of the subs on for the first demo.

Went through some movie clips and I quickly realized that several adjustments are going to be needed before I am WOW'd. My knowledge in setting up audio is very limited, so I am sure simply "plugging in and playing" wasn't a wise move.

Initial opinion is that the center volume is too low compared to my 212's and seems to get drowned out by the left and right speakers. It doesn't seem right because they are the same drivers and horn, so who knows.

Like I said, I am sure I went about this the wrong way and need to make some drastic adjustments....Or maybe need to add some more power. lol

Any input would be welcomed. Dgage is coming over tomorrow to help me work with my NanoAvr that I just picked up, which I am hoping will improve things.
COACH2369 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21182 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
1800 watts per channel at 4ohm on the CV-5000 as compared to 700ish watts per channel on the iNuke 3000 at 4ohm.
Yep, my fearless prediction is he won't notice any difference until he pushes it beyond +12dB master volume.

Let's see...
GIEGAR is offline  
post #21183 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,891
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Sorry about the delay. Had to get several things done today so I put off speaker listening a little longer.

My first listening session consisted of me simply turning my system on and leaving the settings the same as they were when I had my Noesis 212HT's. Also, I didn't turn any of the subs on for the first demo.

Went through some movie clips and I quickly realized that several adjustments are going to be needed before I am WOW'd. My knowledge in setting up audio is very limited, so I am sure simply "plugging in and playing" wasn't a wise move.

Initial opinion is that the center volume is too low compared to my 212's and seems to get drowned out by the left and right speakers. It doesn't seem right because they are the same drivers and horn, so who knows.

Like I said, I am sure I went about this the wrong way and need to make some drastic adjustments....Or maybe need to add some more power. lol

Any input would be welcomed. Dgage is coming over tomorrow to help me work with my NanoAvr that I just picked up, which I am hoping will improve things.
The only thing I have planned is doing the same thing Carp is doing. either the Inuke6000 or the Pevey IPR5000 DSP. Seems like the simplest solution. But I will be reading on and looking at other options.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #21184 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I am going to head back up in a little while, turn off Audyssey and see what happens...


Tomorrow will be when we dive in and see what they can do.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #21185 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
I did some testing this morning on the inuke and wrote some numbers down but then I realized I couldn't compare that to the CV5000 since I was running the heavy hitting LFE scenes like How To Train Your Dragon etc. from the Scuba Steve disk. I used a HPF on the inuke and I won't be able to do that with the CV 5000.

So, I re-ran some music and a scene from the movie Avatar since I didn't think it is known for a lot of under 20hz bass.

I used the scene where he says, "these dumb bastards just aren't getting it, time to turn up the heat". There are some explosions after that and that's what I used to compare the amps.

So here is the comparison.


215's Full range no HPF. The numbers below are the exact volume where I saw the slightest flickering of the clip light, -.05 db's less on the master volume and no flickering of the clip light whatsoever.

CV 5000: +2.5
Inuke: -4


For music I picked a song by Pendulum called 9000 Miles. There is some really nice bass around the 2:00 minute mark so that's what I used.

CV 5000: + 7.5
Inuke: - 0.5

The other song I used was Disposable Heroes by Metallica.

CV 5000: + 8.5
Inuke: +1.0



I also tried out the Avatar scene running the 215's with subs, I only did this with the CV5000 here is what I got:


215's set to Large/Subs on (so, no LFE goes to the 215's but other bass does)

CV5000 +6.5




Ok, a couple things here. First off I was really surprised how much of a difference there was between the CV and inuke. Now, it could be that I don't have the gain structure or whatever setup exactly optimal on the inuke, but I have it set so that the input clip lights and output clip lights light up at the same time, plus I did try lowering/raising the speaker trims from the AVR and raising/lowering the sub gain on the inuke and I kept getting clipping at the exact same volume as before.

I would have guessed that the CV would have had 4-5 db advantage, but it's more like 6-8 - at least with this very unscientific test.





Am I bummed that I can no longer go to crazy +12, +15 or + whatever levels of the 212's? No. I can still go to +6.5 as long as I run the mains as large with the subs going at the same time. That is pretty damn good. I bet if I cross the 215's at 50 or even 80hz I could go +10...


Oh, one more thing. As usual the CV doesn't get ANY louder at all when pushed to clipping but the inuke sounds like a jet plane taking off when pushed to clipping. Still, I want to try the 6000 because I absolutely love the dsp of the inuke.
carp is offline  
post #21186 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Yep, my fearless prediction is he won't notice any difference until he pushes it beyond +12dB master volume.

Let's see...

Ha, nope ain't happening unless I'm testing my 212 center channel!
carp is offline  
post #21187 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Oh, I was also surprised that the Metallica song clipped very close to the bassy Pendulum song. Massive amount of difference in low bass between those 2 songs.
carp is offline  
post #21188 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Sorry about the delay. Had to get several things done today so I put off speaker listening a little longer.

My first listening session consisted of me simply turning my system on and leaving the settings the same as they were when I had my Noesis 212HT's. Also, I didn't turn any of the subs on for the first demo.

Went through some movie clips and I quickly realized that several adjustments are going to be needed before I am WOW'd. My knowledge in setting up audio is very limited, so I am sure simply "plugging in and playing" wasn't a wise move.

Initial opinion is that the center volume is too low compared to my 212's and seems to get drowned out by the left and right speakers. It doesn't seem right because they are the same drivers and horn, so who knows.

Like I said, I am sure I went about this the wrong way and need to make some drastic adjustments....Or maybe need to add some more power. lol

Any input would be welcomed. Dgage is coming over tomorrow to help me work with my NanoAvr that I just picked up, which I am hoping will improve things.

Do you have a db meter? If not you gotta get one!!
carp is offline  
post #21189 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,773
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am going to head back up in a little while, turn off Audyssey and see what happens...


Tomorrow will be when we dive in and see what they can do.
Yeah, I'd wait if I were you. If you want to try something, set the left and right speakers to "Large" (or "Full Range"). If there is an option for "Large plus Subs or LFE" use that.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #21190 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,891
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 786
I am running into a problem tonight and I need help. I am having a big problem on how I am going to mount my side surrounds with my Slanted 8's. They are just not going to work. I won't go into to details, but I will just say they can not be mounted on the sides.I know it sounds crazy, but there is some problems. I will be able to mount them in the rear and I have decided that I can move the other pair in the front for my heights, that is if I can even mount a slanted 8 in the front? Will it be to much of a dip to seats at 10' or 11'? Anyone using slanted 8's for front heights?

Can anyone tell me if there is a speaker that will pair up with the single 8's that is smaller? I really hate the thought of this, but I am having thoughts of selling my 4 slanted 8's and getting 6 smaller speakers. This really sucks.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #21191 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Member
 
varneysa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Is there anyone in the San Antonio, TX area who wouldn't mind allowing me to audition some JTRs? I'm considering a set of the Noesis 228s, but I'd really like to hear them (or anything with the JTR sound) first. Thanks.
varneysa is offline  
post #21192 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,534
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Do you have a db meter? If not you gotta get one!!
I'll be bringing my gear over; DB meter, MiniDSP UMIK-1, Laptop with REW and NanoAVR software. We'll have some fun and hopefully have this dialed in pretty good...at least for this amateur. I'm sure Coach will be happy to get his calibrator Chad back down to really fix things up but in this case...beggars can't be choosy.

Oh, I'll also be bringing his treatments I built along with a compressor and pneumatic upholstery stapler so we can upholster his treatments. So don't expect the audio portion until the afternoon as we'll be treating his entire front wall and front ceiling with treatments first. Pictures forthcoming.
dgage is online now  
post #21193 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am going to head back up in a little while, turn off Audyssey and see what happens...


Tomorrow will be when we dive in and see what they can do.
Yes unless I am missing something you should have had Audyssey off from the get go if you didn't run a fresh calibration for the 215's. Otherwise you are getting the room correction it set for your previous speakers applied to the 215's. But I am sure you knew that I would go Audyssey off and then your Audyssey calibration done very meticulously (1st measurement literally measured dead center, all electronics off, most use a tighter mic cluster, etc.)

I feel unqualified to make suggestions but I too have a (tiny compared to yours) triple 8 LP center channel below screen. I have experimented with center channel optimization for clear vocals for movies is something I have experimented a bit with. I currently have a 2 inch acoustical panel I built for it to sit on. I really don't think it does much in respect to positive acoustical effects but it raises it up a bit and I also have some foam wedges that angle it up slightly so that it aims head height while sitting. (perhaps just a tad couple inches higher maybe). I feel it has made significant effects rather than just firing directly straight. Your case I would say have some kind of wedges to angle it up ever so slightly? But I don't know your seating arrangement. Anyway dgage and you will get it all sorted out I know

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21194 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I'll be bringing my gear over; DB meter, MiniDSP UMIK-1, Laptop with REW and NanoAVR software. We'll have some fun and hopefully have this dialed in pretty good...at least for this amateur. I'm sure Coach will be happy to get his calibrator Chad back down to really fix things up but in this case...beggars can't be choosy.

Oh, I'll also be bringing his treatments I built along with a compressor and pneumatic upholstery stapler so we can upholster his treatments. So don't expect the audio portion until the afternoon as we'll be treating his entire front wall and front ceiling with treatments first. Pictures forthcoming.
OH YES!!! That ceiling treatment that covers the 1st specular reflections for LCR speakers for at least the 2-3 main seats will make your speakers instantly a level better guaranteed. At minimum the main seat. The floor too. If you don't have plush carpet GET A PLUSH RUG! seriously big difference. I am interested to actually research that nanoavr as well.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21195 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I did some testing this morning on the inuke and wrote some numbers down but then I realized I couldn't compare that to the CV5000 since I was running the heavy hitting LFE scenes like How To Train Your Dragon etc. from the Scuba Steve disk. I used a HPF on the inuke and I won't be able to do that with the CV 5000.

So, I re-ran some music and a scene from the movie Avatar since I didn't think it is known for a lot of under 20hz bass.

I used the scene where he says, "these dumb bastards just aren't getting it, time to turn up the heat". There are some explosions after that and that's what I used to compare the amps.

So here is the comparison.


215's Full range no HPF. The numbers below are the exact volume where I saw the slightest flickering of the clip light, -.05 db's less on the master volume and no flickering of the clip light whatsoever.

CV 5000: +2.5
Inuke: -4


For music I picked a song by Pendulum called 9000 Miles. There is some really nice bass around the 2:00 minute mark so that's what I used.

CV 5000: + 7.5
Inuke: - 0.5

The other song I used was Disposable Heroes by Metallica.

CV 5000: + 8.5
Inuke: +1.0



I also tried out the Avatar scene running the 215's with subs, I only did this with the CV5000 here is what I got:


215's set to Large/Subs on (so, no LFE goes to the 215's but other bass does)

CV5000 +6.5




Ok, a couple things here. First off I was really surprised how much of a difference there was between the CV and inuke. Now, it could be that I don't have the gain structure or whatever setup exactly optimal on the inuke, but I have it set so that the input clip lights and output clip lights light up at the same time, plus I did try lowering/raising the speaker trims from the AVR and raising/lowering the sub gain on the inuke and I kept getting clipping at the exact same volume as before.

I would have guessed that the CV would have had 4-5 db advantage, but it's more like 6-8 - at least with this very unscientific test.





Am I bummed that I can no longer go to crazy +12, +15 or + whatever levels of the 212's? No. I can still go to +6.5 as long as I run the mains as large with the subs going at the same time. That is pretty damn good. I bet if I cross the 215's at 50 or even 80hz I could go +10...


Oh, one more thing. As usual the CV doesn't get ANY louder at all when pushed to clipping but the inuke sounds like a jet plane taking off when pushed to clipping. Still, I want to try the 6000 because I absolutely love the dsp of the inuke.

Carp, although this may not be perfectly controlled experiment I think it has a lot of practical and useful information about running more juice. Amp ratings (and exactly how they were determined), speaker impedence loads at various frequencies and so on, all have an impact and this is a great quick real world test IMHO

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #21196 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Dgage might have to rent a box truck to bring all that gear over tomorrow. Haha

I am looking forward to playing and learning some tomorrow. No doubt that these will be sounding a ton better tomorrow.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #21197 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Carp, although this may not be perfectly controlled experiment I think it has a lot of practical and useful information about running more juice. Amp ratings (and exactly how they were determined), speaker impedence loads at various frequencies and so on, all have an impact and this is a great quick real world test IMHO

Thanks Lance.

Another thing I want to point out, if I hadn't been starting intently at the clip lights I would have gone above the level of flickering because the sound was still soooo clean. So, I believe you can get a bit more output before bad things/bad sounds etc. will happen.

Not that I'm going to do that on any kind of consistent basis, but on a rare out of control demo for a short burst I'm sure it would be fine.

I used to have SOLID (and stayed solid for awhile) red lights on my ep4000 many times and never did any damage to the Captivators - or the amp. Today I was looking for the very slightest flicker of red.
carp is offline  
post #21198 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Dgage might have to rent a box truck to bring all that gear over tomorrow. Haha

I am looking forward to playing and learning some tomorrow. No doubt that these will be sounding a ton better tomorrow.

That would be killing me!! Just fire them up in 2 channel stereo, no subs, no other speakers, and listen to some music.

That's what I did the first night after getting home from the gtg and I couldn't turn off the system until close to 4 AM.
carp is offline  
post #21199 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by varneysa View Post
Is there anyone in the San Antonio, TX area who wouldn't mind allowing me to audition some JTRs? I'm considering a set of the Noesis 228s, but I'd really like to hear them (or anything with the JTR sound) first. Thanks.
I'm in north Houston (The Woodlands/Conroe) area. I have a 7.2 jtr system. Not sure if you want to travel that far but I'd give you a demo. I have the 212 lp up front and 4 slanted 8s for surrounds. We are going to have another theater met in August if you want to time that out and see some another room and meet the gang here.

I have a build thread under College Park 4K Cinema.
7channelfreak is offline  
post #21200 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I'm in north Houston (The Woodlands/Conroe) area. I have a 7.2 jtr system. Not sure if you want to travel that far but I'd give you a demo. I have the 212 lp up front and 4 slanted 8s for surrounds. We are going to have another theater met in August if you want to time that out and see some another room and meet the gang here.

I have a build thread under College Park 4K Cinema.

Hey Randy,

I hear Houston is lovely in August!

Seriously though, I would love to be able to make it down your way some day to see your HT - and Pain Affliction's too, I think he lives somewhat close to you.
carp is offline  
post #21201 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hey Randy,

I hear Houston is lovely in August!

Seriously though, I would love to be able to make it down your way some day to see your HT - and Pain Affliction's too, I think he lives somewhat close to you.
Haha....you forget I grew up in Kansas and it's not the best time of the year there either. But yes...it does tend to get a bit warm and sticky then.

Yes...Pain is over in Katy. That would be like you running to Lawrence. I have been wanting to go see him and his room but he can't stop the mods long enough to have company.

We may need to talk about the 215s. I am thinking...maybe the 215RMs.
7channelfreak is offline  
post #21202 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Haha....you forget I grew up in Kansas and it's not the best time of the year there either. But yes...it does tend to get a bit warm and sticky then.

Yes...Pain is over in Katy. That would be like you running to Lawrence. I have been wanting to go see him and his room but he can't stop the mods long enough to have company.

We may need to talk about the 215s. I am thinking...maybe the 215RMs.

Yeah I remembered - but hey this summer has been cake!! Only a handful of days have even cracked 90, next week the highs are in the 70's again - it's crazy. 2 years ago my lawn had already died by this point. I'm not exaggerating - DEAD. Walking on it without shoes would cut your feet, haha. I had to start over and plant all new seed that fall. This year haven't watered once and it's all green.

215's huh? Sure man, give me a call anytime and we'll talk about it.
carp is offline  
post #21203 of 30452 Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 335
^forecast is calling for 101 next week here in Eugene OR! And we are not dry here, very green and on the humid side

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #21204 of 30452 Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,440
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am going to head back up in a little while, turn off Audyssey and see what happens...


Tomorrow will be when we dive in and see what they can do.
Turn that garbage off and try listening to a few things again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I'll be bringing my gear over; DB meter, MiniDSP UMIK-1, Laptop with REW and NanoAVR software. We'll have some fun and hopefully have this dialed in pretty good...at least for this amateur. I'm sure Coach will be happy to get his calibrator Chad back down to really fix things up but in this case...beggars can't be choosy.

Oh, I'll also be bringing his treatments I built along with a compressor and pneumatic upholstery stapler so we can upholster his treatments. So don't expect the audio portion until the afternoon as we'll be treating his entire front wall and front ceiling with treatments first. Pictures forthcoming.
I would love it if you guys did a non audyssey listen (and sweep) before you start tossing the treatments up. I neglected to do this last time I added my ceiling panels and front wall treatment and have been kicking myself for not doing so ever since. I am just interested in your plug and play opinion before anything major has been changed (but without audyssey). Did I mention to turn off audyssey?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #21205 of 30452 Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,773
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 781
As long as you have Audyssey (XT32?) you might as well give it a go assuming you were happy with Audyssey before. I have found Audyssey helpful but when you have the ability to measure and EQ using other tools, Audyssey provides less value. IMHO

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #21206 of 30452 Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,534
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Beast, it makes sense that you want us to listen before adding treatments and I was thinking the same thing. But what I wasn't as clear on was what you wanted done with Audyssey.
dgage is online now  
post #21207 of 30452 Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,534
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
As long as you have Audyssey (XT32?) you might as well give it a go assuming you were happy with Audyssey before. I have found Audyssey helpful but when you have the ability to measure and EQ using other tools, Audyssey provides less value. IMHO
In this case RMK, Coach has always had a pro come in with the pro Audyssey tools to run the Audyssey calibration. Since I don't have a pre/pro with Audyssey, I'm not as clear on how to use XT32 effectively on his Denon 4520. So I'm probably all for bypassing Audyssey for much of our early testing but may give it a go later. We'll also be bringing the NanoAVR into the mix for DSP control.
dgage is online now  
post #21208 of 30452 Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,440
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Beast, it makes sense that you want us to listen before adding treatments and I was thinking the same thing. But what I wasn't as clear on was what you wanted done with Audyssey.
If I could burn Audyssey with a napalm bomb, I would...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #21209 of 30452 Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,773
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
In this case RMK, Coach has always had a pro come in with the pro Audyssey tools to run the Audyssey calibration. Since I don't have a pre/pro with Audyssey, I'm not as clear on how to use XT32 effectively on his Denon 4520. So I'm probably all for bypassing Audyssey for much of our early testing but may give it a go later. We'll also be bringing the NanoAVR into the mix for DSP control.
The process could not be easier ... but is time consuming if you have a lot of channels.

BTW, the people who run Audyssey Pro Calibration are usually not Pros (more like Cons ). Having had the Pro Kit, it is a rather dubious automated process with very little manual override.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
If I could burn Audyssey with a napalm bomb, I would...
Wow, that is a lot of Audyssey angst ...

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 07-11-2014 at 09:36 AM.
RMK! is offline  
post #21210 of 30452 Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Member
 
kronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I really hate the thought of this, but I am having thoughts of selling my 4 slanted 8's and getting 6 smaller speakers. This really sucks.
I hate to hear that they might not work for you. If you do decide to sell, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I'd rather you figure out a way to get them to work in your space though.
kronin is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off