Forum Jump: 

post #21211 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Dgage might have to rent a box truck to bring all that gear over tomorrow. Haha

I am looking forward to playing and learning some tomorrow. No doubt that these will be sounding a ton better tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21212 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Carp, although this may not be perfectly controlled experiment I think it has a lot of practical and useful information about running more juice. Amp ratings (and exactly how they were determined), speaker impedence loads at various frequencies and so on, all have an impact and this is a great quick real world test IMHO

Thanks Lance.

Another thing I want to point out, if I hadn't been starting intently at the clip lights I would have gone above the level of flickering because the sound was still soooo clean. So, I believe you can get a bit more output before bad things/bad sounds etc. will happen.

Not that I'm going to do that on any kind of consistent basis, but on a rare out of control demo for a short burst I'm sure it would be fine.

I used to have SOLID (and stayed solid for awhile) red lights on my ep4000 many times and never did any damage to the Captivators - or the amp. Today I was looking for the very slightest flicker of red.
post #21213 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Dgage might have to rent a box truck to bring all that gear over tomorrow. Haha

I am looking forward to playing and learning some tomorrow. No doubt that these will be sounding a ton better tomorrow.

That would be killing me!! Just fire them up in 2 channel stereo, no subs, no other speakers, and listen to some music.

That's what I did the first night after getting home from the gtg and I couldn't turn off the system until close to 4 AM.
post #21214 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by varneysa View Post
Is there anyone in the San Antonio, TX area who wouldn't mind allowing me to audition some JTRs? I'm considering a set of the Noesis 228s, but I'd really like to hear them (or anything with the JTR sound) first. Thanks.
I'm in north Houston (The Woodlands/Conroe) area. I have a 7.2 jtr system. Not sure if you want to travel that far but I'd give you a demo. I have the 212 lp up front and 4 slanted 8s for surrounds. We are going to have another theater met in August if you want to time that out and see some another room and meet the gang here.

I have a build thread under College Park 4K Cinema.
post #21215 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I'm in north Houston (The Woodlands/Conroe) area. I have a 7.2 jtr system. Not sure if you want to travel that far but I'd give you a demo. I have the 212 lp up front and 4 slanted 8s for surrounds. We are going to have another theater met in August if you want to time that out and see some another room and meet the gang here.

I have a build thread under College Park 4K Cinema.

Hey Randy,

I hear Houston is lovely in August!

Seriously though, I would love to be able to make it down your way some day to see your HT - and Pain Affliction's too, I think he lives somewhat close to you.
post #21216 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hey Randy,

I hear Houston is lovely in August!

Seriously though, I would love to be able to make it down your way some day to see your HT - and Pain Affliction's too, I think he lives somewhat close to you.
Haha....you forget I grew up in Kansas and it's not the best time of the year there either. But yes...it does tend to get a bit warm and sticky then.

Yes...Pain is over in Katy. That would be like you running to Lawrence. I have been wanting to go see him and his room but he can't stop the mods long enough to have company.

We may need to talk about the 215s. I am thinking...maybe the 215RMs.
post #21217 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Haha....you forget I grew up in Kansas and it's not the best time of the year there either. But yes...it does tend to get a bit warm and sticky then.

Yes...Pain is over in Katy. That would be like you running to Lawrence. I have been wanting to go see him and his room but he can't stop the mods long enough to have company.

We may need to talk about the 215s. I am thinking...maybe the 215RMs.

Yeah I remembered - but hey this summer has been cake!! Only a handful of days have even cracked 90, next week the highs are in the 70's again - it's crazy. 2 years ago my lawn had already died by this point. I'm not exaggerating - DEAD. Walking on it without shoes would cut your feet, haha. I had to start over and plant all new seed that fall. This year haven't watered once and it's all green.

215's huh? Sure man, give me a call anytime and we'll talk about it.
post #21218 of 21225 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 205
^forecast is calling for 101 next week here in Eugene OR! And we are not dry here, very green and on the humid side
post #21219 of 21225 Old Today, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am going to head back up in a little while, turn off Audyssey and see what happens...

Tomorrow will be when we dive in and see what they can do.
Turn that garbage off and try listening to a few things again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I'll be bringing my gear over; DB meter, MiniDSP UMIK-1, Laptop with REW and NanoAVR software. We'll have some fun and hopefully have this dialed in pretty good...at least for this amateur. I'm sure Coach will be happy to get his calibrator Chad back down to really fix things up but in this case...beggars can't be choosy.

Oh, I'll also be bringing his treatments I built along with a compressor and pneumatic upholstery stapler so we can upholster his treatments. So don't expect the audio portion until the afternoon as we'll be treating his entire front wall and front ceiling with treatments first. Pictures forthcoming.
I would love it if you guys did a non audyssey listen (and sweep) before you start tossing the treatments up. I neglected to do this last time I added my ceiling panels and front wall treatment and have been kicking myself for not doing so ever since. I am just interested in your plug and play opinion before anything major has been changed (but without audyssey). Did I mention to turn off audyssey?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #21220 of 21225 Old Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 244
As long as you have Audyssey (XT32?) you might as well give it a go assuming you were happy with Audyssey before. I have found Audyssey helpful but when you have the ability to measure and EQ using other tools, Audyssey provides less value. IMHO
post #21221 of 21225 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Beast, it makes sense that you want us to listen before adding treatments and I was thinking the same thing. But what I wasn't as clear on was what you wanted done with Audyssey.
post #21222 of 21225 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
As long as you have Audyssey (XT32?) you might as well give it a go assuming you were happy with Audyssey before. I have found Audyssey helpful but when you have the ability to measure and EQ using other tools, Audyssey provides less value. IMHO
In this case RMK, Coach has always had a pro come in with the pro Audyssey tools to run the Audyssey calibration. Since I don't have a pre/pro with Audyssey, I'm not as clear on how to use XT32 effectively on his Denon 4520. So I'm probably all for bypassing Audyssey for much of our early testing but may give it a go later. We'll also be bringing the NanoAVR into the mix for DSP control.
post #21223 of 21225 Old Today, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Beast, it makes sense that you want us to listen before adding treatments and I was thinking the same thing. But what I wasn't as clear on was what you wanted done with Audyssey.
If I could burn Audyssey with a napalm bomb, I would...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #21224 of 21225 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
In this case RMK, Coach has always had a pro come in with the pro Audyssey tools to run the Audyssey calibration. Since I don't have a pre/pro with Audyssey, I'm not as clear on how to use XT32 effectively on his Denon 4520. So I'm probably all for bypassing Audyssey for much of our early testing but may give it a go later. We'll also be bringing the NanoAVR into the mix for DSP control.
The process could not be easier ... but is time consuming if you have a lot of channels.

BTW, the people who run Audyssey Pro Calibration are usually not Pros (more like Cons ). Having had the Pro Kit, it is a rather dubious automated process with very little manual override.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
If I could burn Audyssey with a napalm bomb, I would...
Wow, that is a lot of Audyssey angst ...

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 09:36 AM.
post #21225 of 21225 Old Today, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I really hate the thought of this, but I am having thoughts of selling my 4 slanted 8's and getting 6 smaller speakers. This really sucks.
I hate to hear that they might not work for you. If you do decide to sell, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I'd rather you figure out a way to get them to work in your space though.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page