Official JTR speaker thread - Page 711 - AVS Forum
First ... 709  710  711 712  713  ... Last
Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 09:18 PM 07-14-2014
I wish somebody in my area had some U215's. A customer of mine had some for sale last year, but they were in horrible shape and two of them didn't even work.

Be nice to hear three of them as LCR some time..

GIEGAR's Avatar GIEGAR 08:42 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Thanks.

I did find some posts about it in his build thread.

I am considering moving my 228's to my living room and buying yorkville U215's to get more midbass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Talk to Gorilla about them. He would know best about them as he has had them as long as I have had my 212's. We switched the SH50's to the U215's for the last hour and at first I could not even really tell we switched, but at lower volumes I could tell there was an audible difference, but when the Yorks are cranked up they really shine. I could really sit every weekend and just listen to different speakers. At this point I just cannot wait to get my theater done so and blast my own speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I also have had the U215's on my mind as well. Great speaker on paper and reviews I have read. And the unity horn design goes along with the theory that a speaker is the sum of all the parts and not a single expensive driver.

For those of you who have experience with the Yorkville's...I assume the mid bass slam, impact and all around dynamic effect is pretty good right? More than JTR's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Along with that...and this may be for Dlbeck. I know you will keep your 212s (and midbass modules ) but which did you like better out of the Yorkville and Danley?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Obviously highly subjective but if I had to choose on my limited listening session I would take the Yorkvilles. Of course only after the 212's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I wish somebody in my area had some U215's. A customer of mine had some for sale last year, but they were in horrible shape and two of them didn't even work.

Be nice to hear three of them as LCR some time..
Fellas, you might be interested some directivity measurements of the Yorkville U215's alongside a couple of DIY Synergy horns. These are a few years old now and I have no idea whether or not Yorkville have refined the design since.

Here is the measurement setup: http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com.a...surements.html (Mainly for the second pic - gives a good sense of the size.)

And here are the results and a bit of commentary: http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com.a...surements.html

Cheers!
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 09:04 AM 07-15-2014
That is comparing the unity design to the synergy design which is several generations ahead of the unity, with much more refinement. Both Danley concepts obviously, but the unity was one of his first foray's into the concept, at which point he sold to yorkville to utilize the name and concept and moved on towards what we now see in the sh50 and other synergy designs. I remember a similar study pitting the directivity of the york to the Triple12 and it was pretty clear that that york had a MUCH better dispersion pattern. Now putting it head to head against the 212, or now 215, I would love to see that.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 09:36 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Looks like my wimpy Sunfire TGA-7401 might not be enough power to properly show off my new speakers...

Guess I need another amp… :roll eyes:
When Jeff was showing the 215's at Axpona he used an oppo with 80 wpc and everybody seemed to think they sounded great. What is your amp rated per channel?

Official JTR speaker thread

Quote:
Along with that...and this may be for Dlbeck. I know you will keep your 212s (and midbass modules ) but which did you like better out of the Yorkville and Danley?
I will jump in here and say that I thought they were pretty even, at one point I did not even realize we changed mains. There was a difference though and I could not explain it. Klipsh (Justin) had said the same thing. The difference was not good or bad. I had thought it was just a wee bit flatter in the mid range. This time around I really liked the SH50's and in the end I would have picked them. We spent a majority of the day with them and I just thought they sounded really good. We had watched the Eagles (Band) BluRay and it felt like you were in audience. I am going to have to pick that one up.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 09:38 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Looks like my wimpy Sunfire TGA-7401 might not be enough power to properly show off my new speakers...

Guess I need another amp… :roll eyes:
When Jeff was showing the 215's at Axpona he used an oppo with an Adcom amp, 80 wpc and everybody seemed to think they sounded great. What is your amp rated per channel?

Quote:
I will jump in here and say that I thought they were pretty even, at one point I did not even realize we changed mains. After a little while I did notice there was a difference though and I could not explain it. Klipsh (Justin) had said the same thing. The difference was not good or bad. I had thought it was just a wee bit flatter in the mid range. This time around I really liked the SH50's and in the end I would have picked them. We spent a majority of the day with them and I just thought they sounded really good. We had watched the Eagles (Band) BluRay and it felt like you were in audience. I am going to have to pick that one up.
dgage's Avatar dgage 09:53 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
When Jeff was showing the 215's at Axpona he used an oppo with 80 wpc and everybody seemed to think they sounded great. What is your amp rated per channel?
Coach is putting 400 wpc through the 215s. I think it is safe to say he has enough power to make them sing...we just need to EQ them.

Which brings up a good question...was Jeff running the 215s at Axpona with no EQ? Anyone know?
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 09:59 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Coach is putting 400 wpc through the 215s. I think it is safe to say he has enough power to make them sing...we just need to EQ them.

Which brings up a good question...was Jeff running the 215s at Axpona with no EQ? Anyone know?
I thought about that but forgot to throw it in. I think that link with the picture shows the story.

However from that post it sounds like he said there was not enough power?
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 10:31 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:

I will jump in here and say that I thought they were pretty even, at one point I did not even realize we changed mains. There was a difference though and I could not explain it. Klipsh (Justin) had said the same thing. The difference was not good or bad. I had thought it was just a wee bit flatter in the mid range. This time around I really liked the SH50's and in the end I would have picked them. We spent a majority of the day with them and I just thought they sounded really good. We had watched the Eagles (Band) BluRay and it felt like you were in audience. I am going to have to pick that one up.
Which Eagles blu ray? I will have to check it out too

Quote:

800 wpc at 4 ohms on the sunfire btw
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 10:46 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Which Eagles blu ray? I will have to check it out too
Craig John brought it, I think it was the Farewell tour. I seen the cover from a distance and pretty sure it was this > http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ea...Blu-ray/63541/
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83 11:06 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Fellas, you might be interested some directivity measurements of the Yorkville U215's alongside a couple of DIY Synergy horns. These are a few years old now and I have no idea whether or not Yorkville have refined the design since.

Here is the measurement setup: http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com.a...surements.html (Mainly for the second pic - gives a good sense of the size.)

And here are the results and a bit of commentary: http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com.a...surements.html

Cheers!
No surprise there: larger horn = better pattern control and dispersion. Same would hold true for any of the smaller horns including the XR1464 18 sounds horn used in the 212. For most residential rooms and seating positions they are very adequate still, but obviously not on par with much larger horns such as the the SH50, Noesis 215, or even the SEOS 24.

Quote:
Craig John brought it, I think it was the Farewell tour. I seen the cover from a distance and pretty sure it was this > http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ea...Blu-ray/63541/
That's the one! Bill from Ontario bought me that disc after one of the GTGs, it is very well recorded. Hotel California is my favorite track.
dgage's Avatar dgage 11:25 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
800 wpc at 4 ohms on the sunfire btw
That obviously won't do. We need to get Jeff to buy a Dsonic stat! Thanks for the correction.
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 11:38 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
That obviously won't do. We need to get Jeff to buy a Dsonic stat! Thanks for the correction.
Haha...I am sticking with the Sunfire for now.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 11:42 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Quote:
If you are looking for a glowing review, then I will give one, the Dsonic is awesome. If you are looking for approving to suggest Jeff move from 800 watts per channel up to 1050 wpc like my dsonic does, you won't get it he would have to go to 1600 for an added 3dB? seems highly unnecessary unless he regularly cruises at +10dB. Now if you start getting silly on the house curve on the bottom, then I would argue to keep that sunfire, and buy a pro amp just for the mains, and those extra two channels you gain on the sunfire could be for atmos or something when the time comes... but not a whole new amp. The sunfire is a killer piece.
dgage's Avatar dgage 01:46 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
If you are looking for approving to suggest Jeff move from 800 watts per channel up to 1050 wpc like my dsonic does, you won't get it he would have to go to 1600 for an added 3dB? seems highly unnecessary unless he regularly cruises at +10dB. Now if you start getting silly on the house curve on the bottom, then I would argue to keep that sunfire, and buy a pro amp just for the mains, and those extra two channels you gain on the sunfire could be for atmos or something when the time comes... but not a whole new amp. The sunfire is a killer piece.
No...look at his original post...it was his idea...and I agree with you...unnecessary...especially since he doesn't go nuts with the volume.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 05:57 PM 07-15-2014
Can anybody say whether or not Jeff had EQ on the 215's at Axpona?? Where is the Axpona crew at?
dgage's Avatar dgage 06:45 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Can anybody say whether or not Jeff had EQ on the 215's at Axpona?? Where is the Axpona crew at?
This is conjecture but it seems as if Jeff is somewhat of a music purist and may not be into HT as much...which is sort of interesting considering the 212s have the HT moniker on them. But even his 215s without EQ are not midbass monsters. I couldn't say they are light on midbass because they absolutely aren't but they are a little thin OUT OF THE BOX for midbass in movies.
carp's Avatar carp 07:56 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
This is conjecture but it seems as if Jeff is somewhat of a music purist and may not be into HT as much...which is sort of interesting considering the 212s have the HT moniker on them. But even his 215s without EQ are not midbass monsters. I couldn't say they are light on midbass because they absolutely aren't but they are a little thin OUT OF THE BOX for midbass in movies.

That's why pretty much everyone boosts the bass. You (and I.... and most people) would say the same thing about a pair of speakers crossed over to subs that were set to flat.

Are there speakers out there that are purposely made to not be flat and have boosted bass out of the box? Jeff says all his speakers are designed to be flat, I assume that's what every speaker maker does and then it's up to the individual to tweak that.
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 07:58 PM 07-15-2014
Ya, I cranked mine up first thing LOL I'm almost 8 dB's over flat on the mid
dgage's Avatar dgage 10:01 PM 07-15-2014
Here are the REW measurements for Pre and Post treatment results from Coach's room. We added treatments to the ceiling, and all along the front wall including the right front corner. Next steps are for us to meet and get some DSP manipulation going.

Attached: Coachs Treatments.jpg (62.7 KB)  left pre and post.jpg (93.2 KB)  right pre and post.jpg (94.1 KB)  center pre and post.jpg (87.0 KB) 
carp's Avatar carp 11:50 PM 07-15-2014
I think we have solved the mystery of the missing mid-bass in the 215's!! 80-200 hz is lower than all other freqeuncies, even the peak around 100 for the right channel and 140 for the left channel are still way lower than the peaks at the other frequencies. The center should have better mid bass than the L and R, although there are a couple nasty dips there too.

Man, the left speaker drops off a cliff under 30hz, the right speaker does so much better in the low frequencies.

I'm surprised to see the center channel hanging on down to 30hz, that doesn't make much sense.

The treatments are helping with the left speaker - I'm also wondering about the seating placement. Does Coach have 1 row? If so maybe the response would be better by either moving up some or back some?
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 07:11 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I think we have solved the mystery of the missing mid-bass in the 215's!! 80-200 hz is lower than all other freqeuncies, even the peak around 100 for the right channel and 140 for the left channel are still way lower than the peaks at the other frequencies. The center should have better mid bass than the L and R, although there are a couple nasty dips there too.

Man, the left speaker drops off a cliff under 30hz, the right speaker does so much better in the low frequencies.

I'm surprised to see the center channel hanging on down to 30hz, that doesn't make much sense.

The treatments are helping with the left speaker - I'm also wondering about the seating placement. Does Coach have 1 row? If so maybe the response would be better by either moving up some or back some?
We have two rows in my room. The first row could go back slightly, but then it would mess up the side surround placement.

I need to get more educated in how to read those measurements and to know what the ideal ranges are. Hopefully it can be eq'd to net a better result and not that something is wrong with the speakers.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 07:13 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
We have two rows in my room. The first row could go back slightly, but then it would mess up the side surround placement.

I need to get more educated in how to read those measurements and to know what the ideal ranges are. Hopefully it can be eq'd to net a better result and not that something is wrong with the speakers.
I am in the same boat, I am not the best are reading the measurements. I need to get more acquainted with it real soon. You're room looks great. The treatments look really good. What are the dimensions on the the ceiling panels? Did you use the 703?
dgage's Avatar dgage 07:54 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
I am in the same boat, I am not the best are reading the measurements. I need to get more acquainted with it real soon. You're room looks great. The treatments look really good. What are the dimensions on the the ceiling panels? Did you use the 703?
I built the ceiling treatments out of 2x4s, 40"x48". We used Roxul Comfortbatts (wall/stud insulation) for the ceiling and Roxulboard 60 for the wall treatments. Gives 3.5" insulation for the ceiling with a couple inches of air space due to the hooks. On the wall treatments, we have 2" with a 1" airspace in the back.
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 09:03 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:

I wouldn't get too hung up on the measurements Coach. You have applied room treatments which should eliminate excessive reflections. With your room size, it can easily be overloaded with sound so I wouldn't worry too much about over reference SPL's except for showing off purposes.

These measurements are point in space and as I'm sure you know, moving a foot or two in any direction causes things to change sometimes dramatically. The goal is to get it sounding good where you sit ... right ?

I still believe (despite other "expert" opinions) that Audyssey (XT32) is fairly good at optimizing sound quality over multiple locations in an untreated room.
carp's Avatar carp 09:13 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:

Ahh gotcha.

Can you guys use 1/12 smoothing? I think it's harder to see what is going on when using no smoothing - or it could be that I'm just used to seeing 1/12 smoothed graphs since that is what I like to use. I have read quite a few times that our ears hear similar to what 1/6th smoothing looks like so I figure if I go one setting less smoothed than 1/6th (which is 1/12th on the omnimic) then I'll be good to go.

However, even unsmoothed you can really tell that the mid-bass is very low in those left and right main graphs.

Coach -

Also there is something else I have been wondering. The 215's have a different sound to them than the 212's - and definitely different imaging and soundstage - than the 212's. Could part of your being underwhelmed be not just the mid-bass but maybe your ears do not like these differences and prefer the 212's? Obviously for your sake I really hope that is not the case - but wondered if it was a possibility.
dgage's Avatar dgage 09:21 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Ahh gotcha.

Can you guys use 1/12 smoothing? I think it's harder to see what is going on when using no smoothing - or it could be that I'm just used to seeing 1/12 smoothed graphs since that is what I like to use. I have read quite a few times that our ears hear similar to what 1/6th smoothing looks like so I figure if I go one setting less smoothed than 1/6th (which is 1/12th on the omnimic) then I'll be good to go.

However, even unsmoothed you can really tell that the mid-bass is very low in those left and right main graphs.

Coach -

Also there is something else I have been wondering. The 215's have a different sound to them than the 212's - and definitely different imaging and soundstage - than the 212's. Could part of your being underwhelmed be not just the mid-bass but maybe your ears do not like these differences and prefer the 212's? Obviously for your sake I really hope that is not the case - but wondered if it was a possibility.
That is with 1/6 smoothing but I'll use 1/12 in future posts. I can't speak for Coach but he has already mentioned soundstage width and midbass were the main reasons he made the switch to the 215s. Soundstage is definitely large but obviously the midbass will have to be brought in from Taiwan with the MiniDSP NanoAVR.

For me, I like the sound of the 215s better than the 212s, and I'm primarily referring to the upper end of the frequency range. At some point, I will bring my 212HT-LP center over to directly compare it to the 215RM center but that won't be today.
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 09:51 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Ahh gotcha.

Coach -

I was initially underwhelmed right when I hooked them up. That was 100% due to my lack of turning off the previous Audyssey settings. After we adjusted the levels manually, that made a big difference. The sound of the 215's is to my liking, especially the soundstage. At this point, the mid bass is the only thing lacking....but I am confident we will overcome that.
SOWK's Avatar SOWK 10:04 AM 07-16-2014
I was sick yesterday, so I told Jeff to wait on the speakers for now (Three 215RT's). He will drop them off Friday night, I will optimize placement Saturday, and Hopefully Calibrate Sunday. That is if everything goes to plan.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 01:13 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I was sick yesterday, so I told Jeff to wait on the speakers for now (Three 215RT's). He will drop them off Friday night, I will optimize placement Saturday, and Hopefully Calibrate Sunday. That is if everything goes to plan.
That must have been some illness because if I was getting my 215's delivered, that would have been my cure.
carp's Avatar carp 01:34 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
That is with 1/6 smoothing but I'll use 1/12 in future posts. I can't speak for Coach but he has already mentioned soundstage width and midbass were the main reasons he made the switch to the 215s. Soundstage is definitely large but obviously the midbass will have to be brought in from Taiwan with the MiniDSP NanoAVR.

For me, I like the sound of the 215s better than the 212s, and I'm primarily referring to the upper end of the frequency range. At some point, I will bring my 212HT-LP center over to directly compare it to the 215RM center but that won't be today.

1/12 smoothing will be even more ragged than your 1/6th smoothing. That's crazy that the graph is in 1/6th, it looks more like 1/48 for what I'm used to with the omnimic.

Hmmm what the heck? I must not understand how REW works compared to the Omnimic. The REW graphs look so much more ragged in their response (not just yours). Is it a time thing, as in the Onmi captures a longer period of time for it's sweeps or something?
Tags: 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
First ... 709  710  711 712  713  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop