post #21331 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
1/12 smoothing will be even more ragged than your 1/6th smoothing. That's crazy that the graph is in 1/6th, it looks more like 1/48 for what I'm used to with the omnimic.

Hmmm what the heck? I must not understand how REW works compared to the Omnimic. The REW graphs look so much more ragged in their response (not just yours). Is it a time thing, as in the Onmi captures a longer period of time for it's sweeps or something?
The y axis was quite constrained. Where OM typically defaults to around 60dB spread or so, David's graph was quite a bit tighter.

EDIT: Yep, his y axis is 35dB spread, so really it just makes it look much more jagged. David could adjust the y axis to 60dB and it would look just about like you are used to.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Last edited by beastaudio; 07-16-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21332 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
The y axis was quite constrained. Where OM typically defaults to around 60dB spread or so, David's graph was quite a bit tighter.
Thanks - I see that now. Still, even with that - it's so much more up and down especially for 1/6th smoothing.... am I right about that?
post #21333 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I felt very weak and know I wouldn't have been able to lift them even with Jeff's help. So no need to get them if I can't bring them down stairs.

I feel better today, and will probably be 99%+ by Friday, so I should be able to get them where I need them.

***I want to love them as much as everyone here as they will likely never leave my home once downstairs. I'm not going in expecting the world. I am going to keep my expectations in check and I will give an honest opinion once I have them dialed in. Everyone seems so excited about the sound stage and imaging of them. But I actually expect that to be a downgrade from what I had before with my Vandersteen Quatro's. I do expect the dynamics and effortlessness at reference to be an upgrade thought. (Better be... lol)

Regardless, these will be my "final" theater speakers regarding mains.

I will eventually over the next couple of years get S8's for wides and Slanted 8's for sides / rears / ceiling (atoms)
I have never heard the Vandersteens, but I will almost guarantee that you will be floored. I would make that guarantee with the 212's. I think you will be a very happy camper. Considering that you have a beautiful well treated room to put them in is all the better. I really cannot wait to hear your opinions of them.
post #21334 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

post #21335 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I felt very weak and know I wouldn't have been able to lift them even with Jeff's help. So no need to get them if I can't bring them down stairs.

I feel better today, and will probably be 99%+ by Friday, so I should be able to get them where I need them.

***I want to love them as much as everyone here as they will likely never leave my home once downstairs. I'm not going in expecting the world. I am going to keep my expectations in check and I will give an honest opinion once I have them dialed in. Everyone seems so excited about the sound stage and imaging of them. But I actually expect that to be a downgrade from what I had before with my Vandersteen Quatro's. I do expect the dynamics and effortlessness at reference to be an upgrade thought. (Better be... lol)

I will eventually over the next couple of years get S8's for wides and Slanted 8's for sides / rears / ceiling (atmos)

I know how you feel, my expectations were held down too. They exceeded everything I hoped for with the exception that their sensitivity is SOOOO much lower than the 212's.

My concern for you is that you have already heard the 215's and it seemed like you thought they were just ok. I hope that is different in your room!!
post #21336 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I was very happy with the sound from the 212HT's at Lances. So that's why i'm going to go in with lower expectations after hearing an OK presentation of the 215RT's. I do think it was the room they were in, so I hope to be blown away as well.

Last edited by SOWK; 07-16-2014 at 02:31 PM.
post #21337 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
[QUOTE=carp;25796913]I know how you feel, my expectations were held down too. They exceeded everything I hoped for with the exception that their sensitivity is SOOOO much lower than the 212's.

Hey Carp,
I am wondering when you mention the lower sensitivity of the 215's, if you are now using a pro amp to power them and did not with your prior speakers.
post #21338 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Has Jeff ever mentioned replacing the S8 line with anything that more closely matches the Noesis line? I see he is retiring the triple loudspeakers but no mention on the S8. My concern is the S8 is not cheap and with Atmos on its way, the non LCR channels will represent a huge cost. I understand the S8 timber match to the Noesis is good, but it seems a new design could improve this. Maybe something with the Noesis driver and a single 8 driver. This would be larger that the S8, but smaller than what is currently offered in the Noesis line.
post #21339 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Has Jeff ever mentioned replacing the S8 line with anything that more closely matches the Noesis line? I see he is retiring the triple loudspeakers but no mention on the S8. My concern is the S8 is not cheap and with Atmos on its way, the non LCR channels will represent a huge cost. I understand the S8 timber match to the Noesis is good, but it seems a new design could improve this. Maybe something with the Noesis driver and a single 8 driver. This would be larger that the S8, but smaller than what is currently offered in the Noesis line.
Not sure of any details but I know Jeff is considering a low profile speaker for in-wall and/or ceiling mounting. This speaker would require a very different design than the current coaxial based single/slanted 8's. Personally, I would be interested in that design for an Atmos setup.
thxman likes this.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"

Last edited by RMK!; 07-16-2014 at 05:35 PM.
post #21340 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks. Yes, sorry, I also meant a non-coaxial design, just for clarification. Fingers crossed.
post #21341 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Carp,
I am wondering when you mention the lower sensitivity of the 215's, if you are now using a pro amp to power them and did not with your prior speakers.[/quote]

With the 212's I went back and forth spending months at a time with a pro amp and months with the avr and in the end realized that in no way did I need anymore power than my avr could put out - and even on rare occasions that I felt like going to +15 it wasn't worth the hiss that I got from the speakers when hooked to a pro amp.

With the 215's I am currently using an Inuke 3000 dsp and no hiss!!! Ha, at least there is one benefit to have lost sensitivity!

I had to change the trim on the 215's by 11 db's, so let's pretend it was 12 db's to make it a nice even number. Well, in that case I would need 16 times the power to get the same spl's that I was getting from the 212's. If my AVR was putting out 100 watts to each (which is probably best case scenerio) then I need 1600 watts to get the same spl's that I was getting with my avr.

I'll never touch what I was getting with the 212's and a pro amp.

I think with an Inuke 6000 dsp that will for sure get me there since it is supposed to put out close to 2000 watts in 4 ohms per channel.

Someone correct me if any of this ^ is wrong.
post #21342 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Hey Carp,
I am wondering when you mention the lower sensitivity of the 215's, if you are now using a pro amp to power them and did not with your prior speakers.

With the 212's I went back and forth spending months at a time with a pro amp and months with the avr and in the end realized that in no way did I need anymore power than my avr could put out - and even on rare occasions that I felt like going to +15 it wasn't worth the hiss that I got from the speakers when hooked to a pro amp.

With the 215's I am currently using an Inuke 3000 dsp and no hiss!!! Ha, at least there is one benefit to have lost sensitivity!

I had to change the trim on the 215's by 11 db's, so let's pretend it was 12 db's to make it a nice even number. Well, in that case I would need 16 times the power to get the same spl's that I was getting from the 212's. If my AVR was putting out 100 watts to each (which is probably best case scenerio) then I need 1600 watts to get the same spl's that I was getting with my avr.

I think with an Inuke 6000 dsp that will for sure get me there since it is supposed to put out close to 2000 watts in 4 ohms per channel.

Syomeone correct me if any of this ^ is wrong. [/QUOTE

I like to follow this thread as I love the look and dynamics of the JTR speakers. They first caught my eye because of the similarities to my own Klipsch Epic CF3's speakers. The reason you are having trouble with the trim, I believe, is because your pre outs from your receiver are not putting out a strong enough signal to your pro amp. I had the same problem with my Pioneer Receiver when I got my Crown K2 amp. Through some reading I discovered that it is a common problem when hooking up home theater gear to pro amps and they recommended buying a converter that bumps up the signal from the receiver to the proper gain to match what the pro amp is designed to receive. The 2 that I purchased were the Art clean box Pro and the Henry HD, which do just that. Once I added the Henry it brought the trims of the front 3 speakers to within a few dB's of each other when I ran the MCacc. You might do some reading on them.

Last edited by shivaji; 07-16-2014 at 05:22 PM.
post #21343 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

I like to follow this thread as I love the look and dynamics of the JTR speakers. They first caught my eye because of the similarities to my own Klipsch Epic CF3's speakers. The reason you are having trouble with the trim, I believe, is because your pre outs from your receiver are not putting out a strong enough signal to your pro amp. I had the same problem with my Pioneer Receiver when I got my Crown K2 amp. Through some reading I discovered that it is a common problem when hooking up home theater gear to pro amps and they recommended buying a converter that bumps up the signal from the receiver to the proper gain to match what the pro amp is designed to receive. The 2 that I purchased were the Art clean box Pro and the Henry HD, which do just that. Once I added the Henry it brought the trims of the front 3 speakers to within a few dB's of each other when I ran the MCacc. You might do some reading on them.

Thanks and you are right I really do have to crank up the gains on all my pro amps since the signal is weak from my AVR, but that isn't what I mean.

What I mean is even with just using the AVR and no pro amp at all, I have to bump up the speaker volume trims 11 db's for the 215's to match the 212's. This is why I need roughly 16 times the power with the 215's to get to the same output that I had with the 212's.
post #21344 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Ah, I see. Also from what I have read, if a pro amp does not get a strong enough input signal, it will not be able to reach its full power. Though, those who no know for sure may chime in on that. Anyways, I trust you are enjoying your new speakers and I have always been impressed with your room and your devotion to taking things to the max. Very Cool.
carp likes this.
post #21345 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Someone correct me if any of this ^ is wrong.
People keep saying that their pro-amps introduces hiss... however, the FP10000 clone I got have zero hiss (well, until you put your ear up close to the horn, which both the avr and pro amp does have that bit of hiss... so little you can't hear it from 1 feet away).

So, does that mean, the Clone is better and cleaner than Inuke?
post #21346 of 26690 Old 07-16-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Here are some more before and after measurements from Coach's room, this time after we imported midbass from Taiwan via the MiniDSP NanoAVR. I adjusted the graphs to hopefully be more standard based on the feedback above.

Interesting items to note:
  • The center was real easy to integrate. (ONE NOTE: The PostDSP also includes a 24db crossover at 50Hz vs PreDSP which was full range)
  • The left had a major drop of over 20db near 90 hz. Tried moving surrounding subs, closing the port, etc. but nothing really helped.
  • The right wasn't much easier to work with to get a nice freq. response but it wasn't as bad as the left.
  • I started with automatic EQing with REW but didn't like the results so went manual on everything
  • We went with a target response elevated from 150 down and then sloping down starting around 1000 and down about 5db at 20000
  • We didn't get around to DSPing the subs as we ran out of time so they were using the previous DSP settings

Sound observations (215RTs and 215RM with 8 SI18s plus JBL 8340 cinema surrounds):
  • The midbass was really nice; Book of Eli Gatling Gun scene was very nice; Metalica Bluray was great. Some of the explosions in One were PHENOMENAL and made Jeff jump once towards the end.
  • The ported 215RTs sounded great with the subs...didn't notice any issues with the sound integration of sealed subs and ported speakers.
  • The 215s sounded great but we probably tamed the top end a little much and have to do some work on getting the sub levels a little closer. Still sounded very clean between the subs and speakers.
  • Soundstage is really large on the 215s but still not in the same league as the Danley SH50s IMO. Note, I haven't heard them in the same room and we know how good audio memory is...but I'm pretty sure the Danley would take the soundstage award in a head to head shootout. Of course, the 215RTs do other things better than the SH50s too so I'm not saying the SH50s are better than the 215RTs. Nothing is perfect.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	215rt-left-postdsp.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	165849   Click image for larger version

Name:	215rt-right-postdsp.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	165857   Click image for larger version

Name:	215rm-center-postdsp.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	165865  
Reddig likes this.
post #21347 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Here are some more before and after measurements from Coach's room, this time after we imported midbass from Taiwan via the MiniDSP NanoAVR. I adjusted the graphs to hopefully be more standard based on the feedback above.

Interesting items to note:
  • The center was real easy to integrate. (ONE NOTE: The PostDSP also includes a 24db crossover at 50Hz vs PreDSP which was full range)
  • The left had a major drop of over 20db near 90 hz. Tried moving surrounding subs, closing the port, etc. but nothing really helped.
  • The right wasn't much easier to work with to get a nice freq. response but it wasn't as bad as the left.
  • I started with automatic EQing with REW but didn't like the results so went manual on everything
  • We went with a target response elevated from 150 down and then sloping down starting around 1000 and down about 5db at 20000
  • We didn't get around to DSPing the subs as we ran out of time so they were using the previous DSP settings

Sound observations (215RTs and 215RM with 8 SI18s plus JBL 8340 cinema surrounds):
  • The midbass was really nice; Book of Eli Gatling Gun scene was very nice; Metalica Bluray was great. Some of the explosions in One were PHENOMENAL and made Jeff jump once towards the end.
  • The ported 215RTs sounded great with the subs...didn't notice any issues with the sound integration of sealed subs and ported speakers.
  • The 215s sounded great but we probably tamed the top end a little much and have to do some work on getting the sub levels a little closer. Still sounded very clean between the subs and speakers.
  • Soundstage is really large on the 215s but still not in the same league as the Danley SH50s IMO. Note, I haven't heard them in the same room and we know how good audio memory is...but I'm pretty sure the Danley would take the soundstage award in a head to head shootout. Of course, the 215RTs do other things better than the SH50s too so I'm not saying the SH50s are better than the 215RTs. Nothing is perfect.

Yesterday was an interesting learning experience. Much thanks to David for spending as much time as he did on things yesterday.

We indeed found the mid bass and it was impressive to me, especially during Book of Eli. What impressed me the most was the Metallica Blu-Ray. "ONE" is probably the one track that really showed off what I have going on in my room. Like David said, we still have some work to do. Bass was probably up a tad bit, but overall the results were to our liking. I think once the bass gets adjusted and the highs are attacked again, it will be what I was hoping to achieve.

Since it has been awhile since I heard the Danleys, it would be hard for me to really comment on them. From what I remember in Beast's room, they were impressive but can't honestly say one way or the other. It would be a nice treat to listen to them in my room to do an A/B comparison. No way I would ask anybody to lug heavy speakers up to my room and no way the RT's are heading back down the stairs any time soon.

As of right now, I think I have enough power to run the LCR. We had things at -9 and then -7 when we were going through demo scenes. It was almost too much for me, but it was 10:00 and we had been up there for a long time working. Could have just been tiredness kicking in. The volume level did surprise me some. Everything I had read about the NanoAvr had said that due to the LPCM setting required to use it, the volume will have to be played at a higher volume than it would in normal Bitstream. Some mentioned up to a 10 db difference. In our case, it was only a 3 db difference...which was good.

I think the RM is going to be a great fit for somebody that is mid bass hungry and doesn't think the 212HT's can do it. Most likely, I would have been fine with three of the RM's in my room....but having the RT's does give me a little more. Plus the "WOW" factor when people walk in my room.

Similar to what I said when I went from the Triple 12's to the 212HT's, the change wasn't drastic, but it was enough to make it worth it. Except I think the change was more drastic in some areas(sound stage and mid bass) but not as much in maybe some other areas. Since a wider sound stage and more mid bass is what I was after, they are definitely the speaker for me.

More to come..
Reddig likes this.
post #21348 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I will eventually over the next couple of years get S8's for wides and Slanted 8's for sides / rears / ceiling (atmos)
I have heard the vandersteen quatros in a treated demo room and it is in my maybe top 5 experiences of all time audiophile wise at least. Right up there with Wilson and magnepan etc.

You are right the soundstage is phenomenal with the quatro but the 215 excels at this too so I don't think you will be disappointed. More than anything I just think it will be a "different" sound than what you are used to and you will either decide you like it or you don't. The quatros gave me that extra something when listening to music. Almost nirvana like. I own the 212 and have heard the 215 and they more rarely give me that same feeling. Then again sometimes they do. But everyone's tastes are different. As a cinema speaker that you can crank to obscene levels with incredible dynamics I think you will be very pleased.
post #21349 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
jedimastergrant - Thank you for your comments.

I am going for a more purely cinema speaker this time, and I think I will like the results.
post #21350 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
jedimastergrant - Thank you for your comments.

I am going for a more purely cinema speaker this time, and I think I will like the results.
I may have missed it, are you keeping your Vandersteens for another music only room? I have never heard those but it sounds like I need to!

Grant, you gotta hear the 215's over here. I may be crazy (Tim too) but I think sitting in the sweet spot in my room >>>> than what we heard at David's.

You better hurry, I'm almost done running through your cash, haha!
post #21351 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 933
I just stopped in to say I'm really enjoying my JTR 228HT. I had a work friend over last night who never has been around my equipment before. He has his own projector/theater setup - but it's pretty low key. He had heard how good my system was from other co-workers but wasn't sure what to expect or perhaps wasn't expecting what he got. We watched a redbox rental - the Hercules movie (cheese) and played some tracks off the This is It disc. He left telling me how awesome it was, and texted me a thank you afterwards on his way home, and told me he wants to do it again with some of our other work friends who haven't experienced it. Today at work he texted me for information on what it would cost him to get a setup like that for himself.

Nearly every guest's reactions are the same. They all love it. JTR makes some incredible equipment. The two ported Captivator subs, and the 228HT L/C/R put on a heck of a show!

My wife is busy with Bible School this week and I have the evenings off. So tonight I'm having another couple co-workers over, and tomorrow night I've invited the local KC AV gang over. It'll be fun.
jbrown15, NWCgrad, asoofi1 and 1 others like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #21352 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I just stopped in to say I'm really enjoying my JTR 228HT. I had a work friend over last night who never has been around my equipment before. He has his own projector/theater setup - but it's pretty low key. He had heard how good my system was from other co-workers but wasn't sure what to expect or perhaps wasn't expecting what he got. We watched a redbox rental - the Hercules movie (cheese) and played some tracks off the This is It disc. He left telling me how awesome it was, and texted me a thank you afterwards on his way home, and told me he wants to do it again with some of our other work friends who haven't experienced it. Today at work he texted me for information on what it would cost him to get a setup like that for himself.

Nearly every guest's reactions are the same. They all love it. JTR makes some incredible equipment. The two ported Captivator subs, and the 228HT L/C/R put on a heck of a show!

My wife is busy with Bible School this week and I have the evenings off. So tonight I'm having another couple co-workers over, and tomorrow night I've invited the local KC AV gang over. It'll be fun.
That's how it starts. You buy a system, then you upgrade and before you know it, your building a theater and hanging with with guys all over the country that share the same interest I would have it no other way.
Archaea, Gorilla83 and jlpowell84 like this.
post #21353 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quick question. Has anyone ever repainted the standard finish? After seeing the pictures of the in-ceiling mounted S8's, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. They are currently the standard black finish and I'm looking to match them to the rest of the ceiling. Thanks!

post #21354 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
Quick question. Has anyone ever repainted the standard finish? After seeing the pictures of the in-ceiling mounted S8's, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. They are currently the standard black finish and I'm looking to match them to the rest of the ceiling. Thanks!
If you're talking about my Slanted8's that I mounted IN the ceiling, I ordered all of my speakers without a finish. But I would recommend sanding your speakers with 120 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface and then going to town with the other paint. As long as we're talking about paint, adhesion shouldn't be an issue.
hogues likes this.
post #21355 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may be crazy (Tim too) but I think sitting in the sweet spot in my room >>>> than what we heard at David's.

To be clear, I was talking about the 215's upstairs, not the sound in the theater. We didn't do any 2 channel music (I would love to some time David, very curious!!!!) in the theater, but the sound of the movie clips were the best I have ever experienced. +10 never sounded so smooth!!

That reminds me... the other times I've gone that loud in my room or in other rooms I've experienced it always seems like the room is crying uncle - I didn't hear any bad sounds, creaks, groans, etc. in David's room. Very impressive.
post #21356 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Sucks we didn't put in the 228's when I was over there - seems crazy now that we didn't - but as good as my surrounds sounded in your baffle wall I imagine the 228's must be incredible. You say baffle wall is a marginal improvement (or something like that) for the audio, I'd like to see for myself if that is right or if you are being modest.

Looks like I can't make it, the "kids" are coming over for sure tomorrow night.

This will let me know for sure if the 215's have enough output because some of these guys are into car audio so I'm going to have to pull out all the stops to impress. Kevin is letting me borrow 2 of his Crowsons - thanks for letting me borrow the inuke 6000.
Archaea likes this.
post #21357 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
If you're talking about my Slanted8's that I mounted IN the ceiling, I ordered all of my speakers without a finish. But I would recommend sanding your speakers with 120 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface and then going to town with the other paint. As long as we're talking about paint, adhesion shouldn't be an issue.
I was Dgage, thanks. I was thinking that I had to sand it first. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

post #21358 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was Dgage, thanks. I was thinking that I had to sand it first. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Just to be clear, you do need to sand first but you don't need to get down to bare wood. Different types of finishes do require different types of surface preparation but in the case of paint, you should be able to go right over with another paint with just a simple scuffing of the existing coat (assumes good existing coat which I'm sure we have here) with 120 grit sandpaper. Of course, there is the potential that the existing paint is oil based and could interfere with the second coat of paint, presumably water-based interior latex but the probability of that occurring is pretty low (even if it is oil based). If you really wanted to be safe, get some primer (Kilz/Zinsser) and put on before you put on the ceiling/wall paint, again sanding lightly with 120 grit in between. Good luck and post pictures.
post #21359 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
For the love of GOD ... please remove the drivers BEFORE sanding and painting ...
dgage and hogues like this.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #21360 of 26690 Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
For the love of GOD ... please remove the drivers BEFORE sanding and painting ...
My first thought was what the heck is RMK going on about...and then I got to the second part...hilarious!
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page