post #21361 of 25848 Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
For the love of GOD ... please remove the drivers BEFORE sanding and painting ...
My first thought was what the heck is RMK going on about...and then I got to the second part...hilarious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21362 of 25848 Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I just stopped in to say I'm really enjoying my JTR 228HT. I had a work friend over last night who never has been around my equipment before. He has his own projector/theater setup - but it's pretty low key. He had heard how good my system was from other co-workers but wasn't sure what to expect or perhaps wasn't expecting what he got. We watched a redbox rental - the Hercules movie (cheese) and played some tracks off the This is It disc. He left telling me how awesome it was, and texted me a thank you afterwards on his way home, and told me he wants to do it again with some of our other work friends who haven't experienced it. Today at work he texted me for information on what it would cost him to get a setup like that for himself.

Nearly every guest's reactions are the same. They all love it. JTR makes some incredible equipment. The two ported Captivator subs, and the 228HT L/C/R put on a heck of a show!

My wife is busy with Bible School this week and I have the evenings off. So tonight I'm having another couple co-workers over, and tomorrow night I've invited the local KC AV gang over. It'll be fun.
Ugghgh, don't have time to catch up on all the posts. Taking time off work to work again...I have some interests in carps sub distance findings...But mainly off what you say J...I set up my old Definitive BP 8060 Towers at my buddies house last night. They are decent little speakers and unique that they are the DT bipolar design but also have a built in sub and amp. So they are a full range speaker. Anyway I still need to do some calibrations for him, he needs a big plush rug on his hardwood floors and some reflection panels badly. But TBO I remember them sounding better than what I heard yesterday. I mean I did have them dialed in when I had them and he doesn't but still. I went home and played my full range Seaton Submersive/JTR Triple 8 speakers on Stereo with some good ol Phil Collins. Dang they sound really really good. I mean I have them dialed in perfectly and all 1st reflection points handled with panels. But it just made me remember how far I have come and step back and appreciate what I have now even if it is not what I ultimately want.
Archaea and lbrown105 like this.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #21363 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
My first thought was what the heck is RMK going on about...and then I got to the second part...hilarious!
Just a little shout out to Chris Farley ... RIP

Quote:
I just stopped in to say I'm really enjoying my JTR 228HT. I had a work friend over last night who never has been around my equipment before. He has his own projector/theater setup - but it's pretty low key. He had heard how good my system was from other co-workers but wasn't sure what to expect or perhaps wasn't expecting what he got. We watched a redbox rental - the Hercules movie (cheese) and played some tracks off the This is It disc. He left telling me how awesome it was, and texted me a thank you afterwards on his way home, and told me he wants to do it again with some of our other work friends who haven't experienced it. Today at work he texted me for information on what it would cost him to get a setup like that for himself.

Nearly every guest's reactions are the same. They all love it. JTR makes some incredible equipment. The two ported Captivator subs, and the 228HT L/C/R put on a heck of a show!

My wife is busy with Bible School this week and I have the evenings off. So tonight I'm having another couple co-workers over, and tomorrow night I've invited the local KC AV gang over. It'll be fun.
Good to be in a place where you know what is out there and love what you have. Common sense is a rare commodity in this hobby and while you have fun with it, you exhibit reason and restraint on a regular basis. Good on ya mate.
Archaea likes this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #21364 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
For the love of GOD ... please remove the drivers BEFORE sanding and painting ...
Ha, will do!

(I tried to come up with some clever Farley inspired comment but failed miserably)

post #21365 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 126
2 1/2 hours away from delivery. If I am still alive and well after bringing them down I will take some pics and upload.

I have a customer projector calibration tonight or tomorrow, so that may slow me down getting things done before Sunday night. Hopefully not. But, I am in no huge rush.
post #21366 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I had the day off from work today, I had put a Forza steering wheel, pedals etc for the xbox 360 on kijiji to sell, as I don't use them any more. The guy that came to check them out turned out to be a cop, in full uniform with the cop car and everything LOL. Our nanny was looking out the window and I kept telling her she was getting deported for eating the last piece of cake on the fridge LOL

Anyways, I had the wheel and everything setup in the HT for him to try out, he gets down there and his jaw is on the floor, he's just walking around to each 215 and the subs giggling. We pop in dirt 3 and he asks if we can " turn it to 11" I laughed and said, may as well go straight to 20. I must have had it 10dB over reference, man it was the highlight of my week for sure. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he was shifting gears and smashing into stuff, it was like you were in the car for sure.

Long story short, he buys all the stuff, gets it home and texted me a few mins ago and text says " wheel works great.... but it's not the same, I feel like I should have doilies on my little girl speakers lol"

LOL I though that was pretty funny. Half the time we had it cranked he was asking do you think the neighbors care? I said no they are cool, he wanted it louder hahahaha

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #21367 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I had the day off from work today, I had put a Forza steering wheel, pedals etc for the xbox 360 on kijiji to sell, as I don't use them any more. The guy that came to check them out turned out to be a cop, in full uniform with the cop car and everything LOL. Our nanny was looking out the window and I kept telling her she was getting deported for eating the last piece of cake on the fridge LOL

Anyways, I had the wheel and everything setup in the HT for him to try out, he gets down there and his jaw is on the floor, he's just walking around to each 215 and the subs giggling. We pop in dirt 3 and he asks if we can " turn it to 11" I laughed and said, may as well go straight to 20. I must have had it 10dB over reference, man it was the highlight of my week for sure. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he was shifting gears and smashing into stuff, it was like you were in the car for sure.

Long story short, he buys all the stuff, gets it home and texted me a few mins ago and text says " wheel works great.... but it's not the same, I feel like I should have doilies on my little girl speakers lol"

LOL I though that was pretty funny. Half the time we had it cranked he was asking do you think the neighbors care? I said no they are cool, he wanted it louder hahahaha
You will be getting text next where to buy the speakers and how to set it all up.
post #21368 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff will be here soon with two of my three JTR 215's... Silly Jeff, thought he could get all three into his van... Lol.

Third one tomorrow morning.
post #21369 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Jeff will be here soon with two of my three JTR 215's... Silly Jeff, thought he could get all three into his van... Lol.

Haha...yep...I've nicknamed Coach's the "Big Black Refrigerators" as first thing you see when opening the door to his room is the back of his right 215RT.
post #21370 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Do me a favor and ask him if he has any Orbit Shifters about ready to ship out... I've been waiting a while.
post #21371 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
Do me a favor and ask him if he has any Orbit Shifters about ready to ship out... I've been waiting a while.
Could you also ask about my 215's. ??? Thanks
post #21372 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Other JTR owners must relish these stories. But believe me, those (frustrated) non-owners living vicariously through this thread also get a big kick out of them too.
Please keep 'em coming!
post #21373 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 973
I enjoy those stories regardless of what someone is running, as long as it is impressive.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #21374 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I enjoy those stories regardless of what someone is running, as long as it is impressive.
Yep thus is true. My favorite is that when people actually hear pro audio speakers like JTR, Danley or Yorkvilles etc. for the first time and cannot believe how good they sound. I myself was never surprised, but happy that I finally found the sound I want.
post #21375 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 591
post #21376 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
My pair of S8s from n8dogg finally came today. Hooked them up to the only thing I have available, a sonos zp100. Now I'm sitting here listening with a smile on my face. Can't wait until my triple 12s come and I hook them up for real.
Timokreon and countryWV like this.
post #21377 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPa...ature=youtu.be

Finally letting 'em loose tonight!!
Can we get a little more video? More of the horn?
post #21378 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Señor Member

Movie Tip

Just watched "Snowpiercer" on VUDU. It is another very good film by South Korean Director Bong Joon-ho who also did "The Host"

Check it out ...

HToM

post #21379 of 25848 Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
1/12 smoothing will be even more ragged than your 1/6th smoothing. That's crazy that the graph is in 1/6th, it looks more like 1/48 for what I'm used to with the omnimic.

Hmmm what the heck? I must not understand how REW works compared to the Omnimic. The REW graphs look so much more ragged in their response (not just yours). Is it a time thing, as in the Onmi captures a longer period of time for it's sweeps or something?
I made this same comment a few months ago about omnimic graphs looking smoker than rew, but I don't have omnimic to test it out with.
post #21380 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPa...ature=youtu.be

Finally letting 'em loose tonight!!
The plastic bag effect was awesome... doesn't work with my OS though... Too bad, YouTube doesn't translate to exactly what you hear on my computer speakers.. haha

Quote:
Just watched "Snowpiercer" on VUDU. It is another very good film by South Korean Director Bong Joon-ho who also did "The Host"

Check it out ...
Snowpiercer was SO DAMN GOOD!!! Highly recommended. I enjoyed it better than transformers! A little bit of actual story telling goes a long way in movies... highly recommended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Other JTR owners must relish these stories. But believe me, those (frustrated) non-owners living vicariously through this thread also get a big kick out of them too.
Please keep 'em coming!
Totally agreed. I was living vicariously thru all the GTGs, Reviews, for years before even buying the 212s.. now, I am again living vicariously on all the 215 buzz... keep the filthy coming!

I bet out of 1 poster on this forum, there are at least 10 just lurking around... (mostly out of fear of posting on forums due to the nasty 'trolling' that seems to happen so frequently nowadays. I remember a time when you can easily voice your opinions on forums and comments online without worrying about being attacked mercilessly... the internet was so much nicer then. Thank goodness the JTR forums is much better in that regards)
DotJun likes this.
post #21381 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It has been a rough few weeks waiting for speakers. I have four triple 8ht's coming from jeff soon (for surround duty) and two seaton subversive f2 (slaves) coming in a week or two as well. Don't know when I will have time to install but looking forward to hearing 3 triple 12's and four triple 8's with four seaton subversives

Anyone in the Sarasota area that is knowledgable in REW and could help me setup? Thanks
post #21382 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Just an update --
I am absolutely loving my 228s and Slant 8s!! (Coupled with my twin Submersives)
My living room is so far from ideal - 18 X 22, hard ceramic floor, mains only 7 feet apart, no room treatments. I do have lots of furniture and a very small throw rug. Also no tuning equipment used other than Audyssey XT-32 in my Denon 4520. Wanted Jeff's big subs but just could not get them to fit so have the Submersives which are wonderful too.

This system is just so crystal clear with absolutely no smearing or mushy sound! My wife would always complain about my old speakers being too loud and now I am typically running these 5db higher with no complaints from her. I attribute that to the speakers being accurate, clear, without distortion. All she wants to do now is watch movies. Oh and they are just as fantastic with music. I like watching concert Blu-Rays and this system rocks!

I would bet 99.9% of the general public would be happy for the rest of their lives with my system - as poorly set up as it is. As I keep reading about the wonders of the 212s and 215s, I keep thinking how much I am enjoying what I have now. Sure I would love to own either of the larger speakers but not really practical in a living room system. For those dreaming or planning to purchase JTR speakers, unless you are building a dedicated theater with lots of funds available, I can join others here touting the abilities of the 228s and Single 8s and can say without a doubt you will be happy no matter what speakers you select.

I will probably move in a few years and hopefully will be able to set up a better room with treatments at that time but for now - I am in Heaven!
Pete
dgage, Archaea, RMK! and 4 others like this.

Last edited by PeterK; 07-19-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #21383 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Just an update --
I am absolutely loving my 228s and Slant 8s!! (Coupled with my twin Submersives)
My living room is so far from ideal - hard ceramic floor, mains only 7 feet apart, no room treatments. I do have lots of furniture and a very small throw rug. Also no tuning equipment used other than Audyssey XT-32 in my Denon 4520. Wanted Jeff's big subs but just could not get them to fit so have the Submersives which are wonderful too.

This system is just so crystal clear with absolutely no smearing or mushy sound! My wife would always complain about my old speakers being too loud and now I am typically running these 5db higher with no complaints from her. I attribute that to the speakers being accurate, clear, without distortion. All she wants to do now is watch movies. Oh and they are just as fantastic with music. I like watching concert Blu-Rays and this system rocks!

I would bet 99.9% of the general public would be happy for the rest of their lives with my system - as poorly set up as it is. As I keep reading about the wonders of the 212s and 215s, I keep thinking how much I am enjoying what I have now. Sure I would love to own either of the larger speakers but not really practical in a living room system. For those dreaming or planning to purchase JTR speakers, unless you are building a dedicated theater with lots of funds available, I can join others here touting the abilities of the 228s and Single 8s and can say without a doubt you will be happy no matter what speakers you select.

I will probably move in a few years and hopefully will be able to set up a better room with treatments at that time but for now - I am in Heaven!
Pete
Best not to get trapped in the upgraditis phenomenon...

But then, that's easier said than done...!!!
post #21384 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would like to say "we" but not nice to speak for others, but I am spoiled with the sound of these speakers. Very hard when at someone else's house and listen to movie with, say, a bose surround system and then get asked how great they sound. Really can't get over the sound stage that they present.

I can't remember who just posted about snow piercer but you watched it on HUDU? how is the sound quality of that? Is it close to blu ray?
post #21385 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Just an update --
My living room is so far from ideal - 18 X 22, hard ceramic floor, mains only 7 feet apart, no room treatments. I do have lots of furniture and a very small throw rug. Also no tuning equipment used other than Audyssey XT-32 in my Denon 4520. Wanted Jeff's big subs but just could not get them to fit so have the Submersives which are wonderful too.

Pete
I hear you, I watched Men in Black 3 yesterday which is a great movie, IMO the best in the series. The sound was actually really good. I just sat back and marveled at my system, the 212's and slanted 8's sounded great and the Triax's make it all come together. If it were not for my theater build I would have never bought the 215's. I went back and forth on this decision a million times. I have decided what ever speaker sounds best in my theater will stay and the others will go to my wife's living room system she asked for.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-19-2014 at 11:48 AM.
post #21386 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post
I would like to say "we" but not nice to speak for others, but I am spoiled with the sound of these speakers. Very hard when at someone else's house and listen to movie with, say, a bose surround system and then get asked how great they sound. Really can't get over the sound stage that they present.

I can't remember who just posted about snow piercer but you watched it on HUDU? how is the sound quality of that? Is it close to blu ray?
Twas me and it was on VUDU HD (Netgear NEO TV). They use Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 for their HD content (1080P) and it sounds great. Not quite Bluray DTS HDMA quality but pretty close.

HToM

post #21387 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yep thus is true. My favorite is that when people actually hear pro audio speakers like JTR, Danley or Yorkvilles etc. for the first time and cannot believe how good they sound. I myself was never surprised, but happy that I finally found the sound I want.
I was surprised when I drove to Fugueness's home to hear the Triple 12's for the first time. He had owned Aerial 10's along with a Danley DTS-20 prior and was loving the T12's. I had Revel Ultima 2 Studio's and Voice 2 speakers with quad JL Fathom subs and both he and I were not too happy that we had spent that much on audio and could not create more realistic sound for movies and concerts. At reference levels in a treated room the Revels sounded strained and would distort when pushed hard (I had plenty of amp power). It was like thinking you own an expensive sports car and finding out it has the performance of a Camry (insert any nondescript sedan}.

When I heard the Triple 12's it was a revelation for me. I could happily listen to high quality DVD-A and SACD's at normal levels and when I wanted to crank it on a bluray concert or big action movie they remained clear with amazing dynamics. The fact that they were only a small fraction of the cost of my "audiophile" speakers was just icing on the cake.

I've never looked back since that initial change over and although I know there are other speakers with similar characteristics, I have never found anything compelling enough to make me change from the brand.

Now, with the 215RT LCR's I have eliminated stand-alone subwoofers in my HT and still get all I want for home theater while having the best 2 channel sound I have ever heard. The setup wasn't easy and it was going against conventional wisdom, but the results are very satisfying and that's what it's all about ... right?
jlpowell84 likes this.

HToM

Last edited by RMK!; 07-19-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #21388 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was surprised when I drove to Fugueness's home to hear the Triple 12's for the first time. He had owned Aerial 10's along with a Danley DTS-20 prior and was loving the T12's. I had Revel Ultima 2 Studio's and Voice 2 speakers with quad JL Fathom subs and both he and I were not too happy that we had spent that much on audio and could not create more realistic sound for movies and concerts. At reference levels in a treated room the Revels sounded strained and would distort when pushed hard (I had plenty of amp power). It was like thinking you own an expensive sports car and finding out it has the performance of a Camry (insert any nondescript sedan}.

When I heard the Triple 12's it was a revelation for me. I could happily listen to high quality DVD-A and SACD's at normal levels and when I wanted to crank it on a bluray concert or big action movie they remained clear with amazing dynamics. The fact that they were only a small fraction of the cost of my "audiophile" speakers was just icing on the cake.

I've never looked back since that initial change over and although I know there are other speakers with similar characteristics, I have never found anything compelling enough to make me change from the brand.

Now, with the 215RT LCR's I have eliminated stand-alone subwoofers in my HT and still get all I want for home theater while having the best 2 channel sound I have ever heard. The setup wasn't easy and it was going against conventional wisdom, but the results are very satisfying and that's what it's all about … right?
I like the brand also and the only other speaker right now I would like for HT would be the Danley SH50's. However there is another speaker I have heard that I really liked which was the Selah Audio Line Array. For anybody that wants an audiophile speaker but also wants pro audio sound the Selah may be for you. I really liked this speaker. It was one of the speakers at the last Heavy weight GTG. The speaker was on par with all the rest. Considering we had listened to these blind, I thought for sure I could easily pick them out of the crowd, but not the case at all. I would have liked to have played around with the Line Array's a little more and have pushed them to the edge to see if they could hold up at reference levels. I do have to say from what I heard they are a very fine speaker, they were indeed one of my favorites of the day.

Archaea likes this.
post #21389 of 25848 Old 07-19-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

So tiny....

Look at all the room I still have...

Time to setup and clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version