post #21481 of 21495 Unread Yesterday, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Little late to the discussion but for what it's worth my s8's measure 9db less sensitive as the 212's. so that also seems to be a wider spread than the specs 101-95=6.

Rob if your LG can drive the 215 that hard I can't wait to see what it does on a 30amp line with the 212's!
Hold onto your hat ...

The 212's and OS's were a phenomenal combination for HT, I was an idiot to sell them but the lure of new stuff is strong so ...

The 215RT's have lived up to my expectations and they are a perfect solution based upon my listening preferences.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!

Last edited by RMK!; Yesterday at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21482 of 21495 Unread Yesterday, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The 215RT's have lived up to my expectations and they are a perfect solution based upon my listening preferences.

Didn't the 215's actually change your listening preferences?

2 channel music is where it's at!!
post #21483 of 21495 Unread Yesterday, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Those are my approx numbers too. I like the consistency of Bluray and even CD's as compared to my FLAC collection. Music playback levels on the HTPC using JRiver are all over the map.

If you can get you hands on the AIX HD Music Sampler Bluray (came with my original OPPO) it is a great disk for speaker auditioning. No heavy metal (sorry Carp ) but as a sound quality test for loudspeakers, it is one of the better ones. It also has an excellent speaker setup section. The bass sweeps are great for pointing out room resonances (rattles and buzzes).

Essentially any of the AIX disks (I have several DVD-A's) are great speaker testers.
I once met a guy with a collection of MP3s... he had a software that could level match all songs. Once that's done, whatever the playback device is, it'll be level matched, because the source is now all level matched.

I am not sure if this can be done with flac or not.
post #21484 of 21495 Unread Yesterday, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the 212's are actually 104.
Or the 215s actually 90db
post #21485 of 21495 Unread Yesterday, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Or the 215s actually 90db

Possibly, but I don't think so. If the 212's really are 101 then every speaker I've compared to them is WAY below the rated sensitivity including Danley which would really surprise me.

You could be right though.
post #21486 of 21495 Unread Yesterday, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Possibly, but I don't think so. If the 212's really are 101 then every speaker I've compared to them is WAY below the rated sensitivity including Danley which would really surprise me.

You could be right though.

That would be awesome if we suddenly discovered that every speaker brand out there lied about their sensitivity... haha

And the 212 suddenly becomes the benchmark!
carp likes this.
post #21487 of 21495 Unread Today, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Keep in mind when comparing sensitivity ratings, especially across different manufacturers, different methods are used to develop a figure.

For example:

JTR uses 2.0 Volts (equivalent of one watt into a four ohm load) in free space - it doesn't list a distance but I'm "assuming" this is one meter distance.

Danley Sound Labs typically uses 2.83 volts (this is two watts into a four ohm load) at one meter in free space.

JBL typically uses a similar spec as Danley (2.83V @ 1M), but often doesn't note if it's free space, half space, ground plane, etc. As an example: Half space would be some place with typical boundary gain, like mounting against a wall, etc. Funny enough here are two JBL examples: One lists the space used, the other doesn't.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/cinema/JBL_8340A.pdf
http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachm...S4722_0509.pdf

In addition, some manufacturers simply "Calculate" this spec based on models, others are actually measured.

It's easy to play games there.

Last edited by Gorilla83; Today at 05:18 AM.
post #21488 of 21495 Unread Today, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^^ on a related note Gorilla's post did make me remember one thing, the S8's are running at 8ohm so 3dB difference right there. So when I sent a -12dB signal through my system the Sunfire was running 8 ohm on the S8's and 4 ohm on the 212 so that would bring the true spread in my check back to 6dB. Sorry guys I may have been off on my first post about this and without specifically measuring the input wattage it is probably a little "off".

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #21489 of 21495 Unread Today, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Hold onto your hat ...

The 212's and OS's were a phenomenal combination for HT, I was an idiot to sell them but the lure of new stuff is strong so ...

I am hoping to hear them at SOWk's house. Really looking forward to that. I know they are amazing from Axpona but a fully treated space is going to be awesome.

I think you made a good choice. You have done a good job at leading the rest of us to audio nirvana and dented bank accounts. I may get the desire for more 2 channel at some point but I am really enjoying mch right now!
RMK! likes this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #21490 of 21495 Unread Today, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 90
And you will, just need to finish the calibration tomorrow and if I don't run into any huge problems, I will see if you and Jeff and buzzard are avail Friday night next week.

or even just you this Sunday if you are interested and have time.
post #21491 of 21495 Unread Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

The old "I rediscovered my music collection" is a pretty tired cliche and I didn't really because I didn't have much of a music collection (mostly hirez SACD,DVD-A). Now I have about a TB of Flac files and 2 channel is the best way to enjoy them. I just plop my arse down in the sweet spot and enjoy.

You're right though about the 212's (and in my case the OS's) playing louder. I am very happy with the tradeoff.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 07:06 AM.
post #21492 of 21495 Unread Today, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
JTR uses 2.0 Volts (equivalent of one watt into a four ohm load) in free space - it doesn't list a distance but I'm "assuming" this is one meter distance.
It says this at the bottom of all the older speaker specifications. For some reason it isn't on the webpage of newer speakers even though the astericks are next to Sensitivity and Usable Output.

*1 watt (2v) at 1 meter in full space**Obtainable output with maximum recommended amplification
post #21493 of 21495 Unread Today, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Humm, maybe the LG was worth the price after all.
Absolutely! I think you paid about the same for yours as I did mine. 3k or so for what is essentially a future proof amp (imo) is a no-brainer for any enthusiast such as those on this thread that will have new speakers in and out of there room over the years. It's one of the main reasons I bought my LG. I don't want to be thinking about amps every time I swap speakers. Give me a speaker - any speaker - and I'm good to go.

Considering the money spent on this hobby overall, I think it's a very reasonable investment. Sometimes will be overkill, sometimes not.
countryWV likes this.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #21494 of 21495 Unread Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
My 3000DSP just arrived yesterday, could bring it along. Also got a couple of concert blu rays including the Eagles. I am not the biggest Eagles fan, but I really liked that disc.
My copy showed up yesterday, but I had a Black Label Society concert LIVE last night so didn't get a chance to watch it. It will be played in the HT sometime before I get back to work on Monday though, guaranteed.

Quote:

+1,000,000

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #21495 of 21495 Unread Today, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
My copy showed up yesterday, but I had a Black Label Society concert LIVE last night so didn't get a chance to watch it. It will be played in the HT sometime before I get back to work on Monday though, guaranteed.

I want to watch it also, but I am waiting till my room is done. I have a stack of new movies still wrapped that I have been saving for the new theater. It is getting harder, but I want some good material to get started. Should be a slew of good movies coming out in the fall from all the summer movies. Also will be cool to watch some NFL out there. I am getting pretty ancy for some football. Preseason is a few weeks away.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread