Official JTR speaker thread - Page 718 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #21511 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Nothing really compares to my system with live sound....I have seen maybe 2-3 concerts where I felt like the mixing was done flawlessly unfortunately. Last night, BLS had an incredible sound team and they did quite well. I actually met the Stage Monitor the night before and he was an awesome guy. He ended up giving me a guitar pic when I went to say hey to him during the show! COOL!!!! Bottom line, 311, Van Hagar, and Mastodon are at the tops right now for 3 of the best mixed shows I have ever seen live. In a small venue with a lot of reflective surfaces it is hard to get it right, but I would say last night was at least in the top 10 for shows I have seen there. The funny thing is, one of the openers had the absolute WORST sound I have ever heard in the same space. Just absolute garbage.

Needless to say, Zakk killed it and I knocked another "major" off my list of bands I need to see live. Dream Theater is one of the last ones I would literally drive 4 hours in any direction to check out before they lose their touch John Petrucci can't pic like that for the rest of his life ya know
Reddig likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21512 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
lbrown105, no need to bring the LG, just yourself.

I feel my Parasound Halo A31 will do just fine.

I know its a "wimpy" 400 Watts per channel, but it is a good A/AB amp and should have great sound quality. And on top of that I don't play over reference.
Oh but you have to ... at least once. Get the wife and kids out of the house, put on a bluray (ART OF FLIGHT or INTO THE NEVER) and cut loose for a bit.

Then report back and tell me that wasn't fun.
beastaudio and countryWV like this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #21513 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Nothing really compares to my system with live sound....I have seen maybe 2-3 concerts where I felt like the mixing was done flawlessly unfortunately. Last night, BLS had an incredible sound team and they did quite well. I actually met the Stage Monitor the night before and he was an awesome guy. He ended up giving me a guitar pic when I went to say hey to him during the show! COOL!!!! Bottom line, 311, Van Hagar, and Mastodon are at the tops right now for 3 of the best mixed shows I have ever seen live. In a small venue with a lot of reflective surfaces it is hard to get it right, but I would say last night was at least in the top 10 for shows I have seen there. The funny thing is, one of the openers had the absolute WORST sound I have ever heard in the same space. Just absolute garbage.

Needless to say, Zakk killed it and I knocked another "major" off my list of bands I need to see live. Dream Theater is one of the last ones I would literally drive 4 hours in any direction to check out before they lose their touch John Petrucci can't pic like that for the rest of his life ya know

DT was amazing, a bit too loud but nice and distinct. I think I did permanent ear damage to my right ear at that show (6 degrees tour). The best collection of musicians I have seen in one room at the same time.

I've been to a ton of concerts and believe it or not Iced Earth (2004 I believe) was by far the best sounding concert I've ever been too. Mixed perfectly... hell, it sounded just like their Live In Athens CD cranked up and crystal clear and Ripper Owens was effortless and pitch perfect, not even trying and looked casual hitting the high notes. Guitar was CRUNCHY and cut right through you. My favorite thing about music is crunchy rhythm guitars and that was the best sounding live guitars I have ever heard. Trivium played before Iced Earth and sounded like poop.

2nd best was Van Halen, great clean sound. Also I was floored with how great Eddie was on guitar. As great as he is on the first 4 albums he blew that away live.

Metallica in St Louis right up front was crazy good too, they always sound solid but that time was incredible. James' speed on rhythm is nuts and sounds so good when the sound guys get it right.
Reddig likes this.
post #21514 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Pink Floyd at Reunion Arena in Dallas was my best sound concert...followed closely by Deep Purple (vice Gillian's trashed vocal chords), Jethro Tull, Van Halen, Iron Maiden and Megadeth.
carp and Reddig like this.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #21515 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

yep, Eddie is pretty special to be able to play that technically for so long, but he was a prodigy to begin with, so I am not all too surprised. He is still cut as all get out too. Iced Earth came through here about 5 years ago and I missed it, just like DT came through and played at the main civic center and I missed it as well as I don't usually check their concert schedule.... Beck just made it through two weeks ago and apparently had a good show. Owen Wilson, and some other folks that are filming a movie in town were there apparently.... I need to step my game up a bit
carp and Reddig like this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #21516 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
You guys should really check out those Lab Gruppen FP Amps. You really don't have an HT worth a damn unless you experience the bliss of unlimited clean power.

Hope that helps ...
RMK! I've always wanted to come out and see your phenomenal theater but now I would like to also pay you a personal visit...hopefully the anger will subside by then.

But like Beast and N8Dogg mentioned, I've got my eyes set on a DSonic amp in the future.
post #21517 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nothing really compares to my system with live sound....
Think highly of your system do you Mr. Beast? Well, the Metallica bluray you played at the GTG is still the best home theater experience I've had so I guess you can brag some. (NOTE: I don't think you were actually bragging but I had to give you a hard time.)
post #21518 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Oh but you have to ... at least once. Get the wife and kids out of the house, put on a bluray (ART OF FLIGHT or INTO THE NEVER) and cut loose for a bit.

Then report back and tell me that wasn't fun.
Just last week I gave a demo to my BIL and his friend of the Metallica bluray with the song One and it was phenomenal. I think I'm putting out 200w or so from my Sherbourn 7150 to the 212HT-LPs and I'd say we were about reference (nonstandard preamp volume). With the 212s and 12,000w going to 3 LMS-5400s...it was pretty damn amazing. Not as good as Beast's theater as I mentioned above...so I know where the bar is set for me...and I'll be there soon.
post #21519 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Pink Floyd at Reunion Arena in Dallas was my best sound concert…followed closely by Deep Purple (vice Gillian's trashed vocal chords), Jethro Tull, Van Halen, Iron Maiden and Megadeth.
I will agree with Pink Floyd. Some of the best concerts I have been to have been at JFK in Philly. However Pink Floyd was the best, they always had great sound. I was at the show below somewhere in this crowd in 87, I still remember this set. Best concert I have ever been to.

post #21520 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 284
My best sounding concert was A Perfect Circle in 2007. IMO, it sounded better than their CD. I've been to many concerts and find 90% of them sound like mangled ear piercing garbage... lol Though I did get ticket to Godsmack and Seether today! I've seen Seether live 6 times and they are a great live band, never seen godsmack though.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #21521 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
^^ Godsmack at Alpine Valley in 2003 or '04 can't remember sounded awesome. Best I have heard was actually at Summerfest two years ago Buckcherry. Not my favorite band or anything but the mix and bass response and detail was phenomenal. Every drum and guitar string was so distinct and separated. It is an outdoor event but I do remember when I moved towards the beer station the reverb of the bass coming off the building not as good as being out in the middle wide open area, and I thought to myself yeah that is what we fight against everyday inside our rooms. Luckily the beer was good and cold so worth it!

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #21522 of 22708 Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I think it's much easier for the sound guys to get the sound right for a band like Pink Floyd. Long drawn out notes are so much easier to sound easy on the ears.

Don't get me wrong, I love listening to my Dark Side SACD and I respect the hell out of Floyd and think they are amazing musicians. It's just that if you had those same guys trying to play something faster and heavier it would be hard to make it sound as good live.

I kind of have the same opinion about speakers. If you play an audiophile type of song, like Keith Don't Go for example, that song is going to sound great on all kinds of speakers.

Throw on something a little more challenging like Jambi, Learning to Live, Blackwater Park, Call of Ktulu, Love?, Black No. 1, Light up the Sky, The Wizard, What's Next to the Moon, etc. and you find out real quick the speakers that will cry uncle.

Getting back to concerts, I do agree with Nathan - most concerts I have been to have been a let down. Half way through the first song that realization of, "oh, so this is what these guys sound like live..... hmmm better get some more beer...."
post #21523 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I will agree with Pink Floyd. Some of the best concerts I have been to have been at JFK in Philly. However Pink Floyd was the best, they always had great sound. I was at the show below somewhere in this crowd in 87, I still remember this set. Best concert I have ever been to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U0fQbj-Ko8
I love pink floyd.

I didn't manage to get tickets for it when they were in Ames, IOWA (at our university's stadium), and so i decided to crash it. I just walked right into the main gate,... no one stopped me.. hahaha...

It was the best concert event ever, for me... their music is unlike anything else on Earth... it's totally ethereal and out of this world...
post #21524 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I think it's much easier for the sound guys to get the sound right for a band like Pink Floyd. Long drawn out notes are so much easier to sound easy on the ears.

Don't get me wrong, I love listening to my Dark Side SACD and I respect the hell out of Floyd and think they are amazing musicians. It's just that if you had those same guys trying to play something faster and heavier it would be hard to make it sound as good live.

I kind of have the same opinion about speakers. If you play an audiophile type of song, like Keith Don't Go for example, that song is going to sound great on all kinds of speakers.

Throw on something a little more challenging like Jambi, Learning to Live, Blackwater Park, Call of Ktulu, Love?, Black No. 1, Light up the Sky, The Wizard, What's Next to the Moon, etc. and you find out real quick the speakers that will cry uncle.

Getting back to concerts, I do agree with Nathan - most concerts I have been to have been a let down. Half way through the first song that realization of, "oh, so this is what these guys sound like live..... hmmm better get some more beer...."
Black #1 is one of my faves. Also been jamming the Tool all week.
post #21525 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Well good news they all work...

Playing white noise for 6 hours to break in, then on to calibrating.

Then finally listening...
post #21526 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Carp, I totally agree with this. Less time between peaks and dips and just more going on seems to call for a higher level of separation and detail to maintain good sound quality. How quickly can the amp move and stop the speaker cones, slew rates, attack, etc must all come into play. Beyond my knowledge of exactly how those electronic-mechanical aspects work together.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #21527 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well like anything there was acoustics involved when I said JFK stadium. When I seen Pink Floyd again in 94 at the Vet, it was different. Did not have the same fulfilling sound, it was the first thing I noticed. Strange considering that the vet on paper should have been a better room for sound. When I talked about the Pink Floyd show in 87, I bragged about the sound and how good it sounded, no joke.

Again I am somewhere in this video below. Probably on my face

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-26-2014 at 06:28 AM.
post #21528 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
I saw the Dallas show in '87, but it was indoors. Saw them later outdoors (Arrowhead in KC) and it wasn't as good.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #21529 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Think highly of your system do you Mr. Beast? Well, the Metallica bluray you played at the GTG is still the best home theater experience I've had so I guess you can brag some. (NOTE: I don't think you were actually bragging but I had to give you a hard time.)
Haha, yea, not really bragging, but honestly the theater does sound better than any live venue I have been to but that is to be expected I recon. Mad props to guys that just have to stroll into a venue the day of the show, setup, and attempt to get things as good sounding as possible, then doing it all over again the next night somewhere else. Definitely a moving target for those boys.

Quote:

My, my, my, we now not only wait for major blockbuster films to come to disc before watching it, but we might as well just save our live music money for more concert discs too...Haha.
carp likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #21530 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My, my, my, we now not only wait for major blockbuster films to come to disc before watching it, but we might as well just save our live music money for more concert discs too...Haha.
I am glad I am not alone. The only movies I have seen this summer were Spiderman 2, Draft day and HTTYD2. I don't want to see the others because I don't want to spoil it for my home. For good reason that my local theater here is awful. I have no idea if the Spiderman 2 sound track was good or not because of the poor quality sound. I could barley hear the dialog out of the center channel. I could hear mega bass from the other two theaters though. Godzilla on the right and I think X men on the left. Those two are promising. I also know growing up I hated live music on cassette and in general. I preferred studio cuts. My tastes have changed now that I have better equipment and I just love concert blu rays. I know you turned me on it in March, you feel like you are in the audience. I am so ever stoked to get my 215's and start getting back into music again.
post #21531 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Look at all the money you're saving!
Very practical.
post #21532 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am glad I am not alone. The only movies I have seen this summer were Spiderman 2, Draft day and HTTYD2. I don't want to see the others because I don't want to spoil it for my home. For good reason that my local theater here is awful. I have no idea if the Spiderman 2 sound track was good or not because of the poor quality sound. I could barley hear the dialog out of the center channel. I could hear mega bass from the other two theaters though. Godzilla on the right and I think X men on the left. Those two are promising. I also know growing up I hated live music on cassette. I preferred studio mixes. My tastes have changed now that I have better equipment and I just love concert blu rays. I know you turned me on it in March. I am so ever stoked to get my 215's and start getting back into music again.
Oh man... you just missed Godzilla on the Imax!!!!
post #21533 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Oh man... you just missed Godzilla on the Imax!!!!
My local Imax is quite a ways from me and not to mention it is at the Tropicana in AC. It is a $300 dollar night easy, nothing cheap at the Casino. Right outside the theater are about 5 top shelf restaurants, that is always a buck and half if not more. We usually save that for special movies. My daughter is a Harry Potter fan so we went to all the Potter movies there. Stuff like that.

I know it is not remotely close, but I was board one weekend while visiting family in Central PA and I took a ride by myself to Gettysburg. They have a new modern museum there in the middle of the battlefields. They have a really nice theater there with a short movie. I think it was about 30 minutes that gives a little history of the Civil War, It was a slide show movie all narrated by Morgan Freeman. I gotta say the theater was top shelf. It was a mini Imax but had a home theater feel to it. The sound was top notch and the big curved screen was amazing. Crisp clean dialog and good bass with battlefield scenes. I was really impressed with the theater and the museum. The museum has little theaters though out the entire place, it is really cool. Anybody looking for a great weekend or little getaway should visit Gettysburg, so much to see and do. We are going back really soon. I am sure anybody that has been can relate.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-26-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #21534 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My local Imax is quite a ways from me and not to mention it is at the Tropicana in AC. It is a $300 dollar night easy, nothing cheap at the Casino. Right outside the theater are about 5 top shelf restaurants, that is always a buck and half if not more. We usually save that for special movies. My daughter is a Harry Potter fan so we went to all the Potter movies there. Stuff like that.
Oooh, too bad man.. that's a long way to go indeed.

I watched Godzilla 4 times on the Imax. My favorite movie of the year so far.
post #21535 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 153
How do I hookup a pro amp with speakon connections to speakers with binding post? Never done this kind of connections before. Any one know of link or tutorial of how do build and connect this type of speaker connections? Thanks..
post #21536 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't been to a theater in almost 3 years.... Though I do have over 1000 blu's lol I was recently looking at my amazon account and I've officially hit 6 digits of spending in the last 10 years. I can say in all that, I've never had 1 issue with amazon, always a great experience, any problems are taken care of swiftly and to my satisfaction.
My pre-ordered blu-ray list is 6 pages long LOL
coolgeek likes this.

post #21537 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I haven't been to a theater in almost 3 years.... Though I do have over 1000 blu's lol I was recently looking at my amazon account and I've officially hit 6 digits of spending in the last 10 years. I can say in all that, I've never had 1 issue with amazon, always a great experience, any problems are taken care of swiftly and to my satisfaction.
So what happens when 4K Blu Ray comes up?
post #21538 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
So what happens when 4K Blu Ray comes up?
To b honest, I don't know yet lol. I actually didn't go out and buy very many blu's of DVD's I already had, I'm assuming I'll do the same and only buy the ones I really want in 4K if I already have them in Blu. Needless to say, I'll be buying a ton of 4K's once I get a 4K projector! they need a player if they want people to start buying! Streaming is good to but they need to have both to cater to everyone.

post #21539 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
N8.. Not to mention your auto collection? What you at now, 7 digits? Lol.. Btw, how's the GT500? I was gonna trade in my 2013 C63 for a GTR track edition. But I think I'll wait for the 2016 ctsv.
post #21540 of 22708 Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Me and the wife by pretty much everything but food online. The odd time I'll run to a store to get something I need right away but for the most part, it's online.

My 500 is great, I really enjoy ripping round in it. I just had it's dyno'd last Thursday and it's 744 HP and 698 FPT at the wheels, so needless to say, it's like a rocket when it hooks up. I've got another 4-5K to spend on CF driveshaft, McLoud RTX clutch, new rims and tires so I can get some 325's on the back and a bunch of stuff needed to be beefed up for the extra HP but I don't think I'll get to any of that this year, Only a few months before it gets parked for winter and I can spend that money on other stuff.

The 16 CTSV is going to be amazing, I'd trade my gt500 in for a new one in a second but I can't afford the extra 50K to get it. They are awesome cars and have tons of potential for mods and go fast goodies!

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page