post #21721 of 24786 Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Carp, how much do your surrounds weigh? I am on the hunt again for speakers mounts. I really don't like the ones I bought. I am going to mount the backs to the wall and the sides to a bracket. I like the way these pivot and yet keep the speaker close to the wall. This was sometime ago huh? Look at that front stage.
Dave the Axiom brackets are good for up to 40lbs.
http://axiomaudio.com/full-metal-bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21722 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
Hello all, moved my Orbit shifter from the front stage area near my LS9's to the left rear side wall where my SubMersive HP used to reside to see how it sounds so i could potentially re-locate my gear to the front stage area, the problem is it's now shaking my ceiling mounted front projector. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and what your solution may have been. I am looking at trying an Auralex Subdude HT or Herbies audio lab giant fat gliders to see if one of them may make a difference otherwise I will have to move the OS back to the fronstage area, any experiences anyone has had would be great thank you!
rj, I had the same problem when I added additional OS. The problem in my set up was solved once I went to a ceiling suspended on hat channel and whisper clips. I am not suggesting you go to that length to solve the problem but the whisper clips themselves are a quality piece of suspension hardware that could be used to attach the projector to the ceiling. There are probably a variety of solutions that could bring some dampening into the equation. Do you have enough ceiling height that if you lower the projector with some form of dampening it still ok?

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #21723 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
Hello all, moved my Orbit shifter from the front stage area near my LS9's to the left rear side wall where my SubMersive HP used to reside to see how it sounds so i could potentially re-locate my gear to the front stage area, the problem is it's now shaking my ceiling mounted front projector. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and what your solution may have been. I am looking at trying an Auralex Subdude HT or Herbies audio lab giant fat gliders to see if one of them may make a difference otherwise I will have to move the OS back to the fronstage area, any experiences anyone has had would be great thank you!
I have my FP Chief Mounted with an 18" extension pipe (9'ceilings) and have 2" X12" blocking between the joists at the projector mounting point. Very secure but that didn't prevent the dual OS's from causing the projector image to shift a bit during very spirited listening sessions.

I got used to repositioning the image and that continues to this day post Orbit Shifters. Just the cost of that much bass energy in a relatively small sealed space. Now if I were OCD about locking the image then I might try and come up with something preventative, but for me the answer has been to not listen at over reference except occasionally when showing off.

BTW, went to the theater ( ) yesterday to hear an Atmos film. Saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was a really fun movie. The Atmos demos were great but I didn't notice it much during the actual movie. Still, I'm planning on adding 4 in-ceiling speakers to get the Atmos effect at home.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!

Last edited by RMK!; 08-03-2014 at 08:14 AM.
post #21724 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Now if I were OCD about locking the image then I might try and come up with something preventative, but for me the answer has been to not listen at over reference except occasionally when showing off.

Rob, this is a very disturbing answer coming from you. Just turn it down??? What is this thread coming to when one of its most influential contributors is now the "turn it down" guy. Of this course this is coming from someone who may just be jealous not having found the cure for EBD (excessive bass addiction) yet.

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #21725 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Rob, this is a very disturbing answer coming from you. Just turn it down??? What is this thread coming to when one of its most influential contributors is now the "turn it down" guy. Of this course this is coming from someone who may just be jealous not having found the cure for EBD (excessive bass addiction) yet.
Good, I like being an outlier...

HToM

post #21726 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
rj, I had the same problem when I added additional OS. The problem in my set up was solved once I went to a ceiling suspended on hat channel and whisper clips. I am not suggesting you go to that length to solve the problem but the whisper clips themselves are a quality piece of suspension hardware that could be used to attach the projector to the ceiling. There are probably a variety of solutions that could bring some dampening into the equation. Do you have enough ceiling height that if you lower the projector with some form of dampening it still ok?
Unfortunately I don't think i can lower it too much more, I found this company that makes these isolators specifically for projectors but I may not have the room and they are a little pricey so I believe I will have to try a different method.
http://www.nigelbdesign.com/pdfs/Ant...in%20mount.pdf
post #21727 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I have my FP Chief Mounted with an 18" extension pipe (9'ceilings) and have 2" X12" blocking between the joists at the projector mounting point. Very secure but that didn't prevent the dual OS's from causing the projector image to shift a bit during very spirited listening sessions.

I got used to repositioning the image and that continues to this day post Orbit Shifters. Just the cost of that much bass energy in a relatively small sealed space. Now if I were OCD about locking the image then I might try and come up with something preventative, but for me the answer has been to not listen at over reference except occasionally when showing off.

BTW, went to the theater ( ) yesterday to hear an Atmos film. Saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was a really fun movie. The Atmos demos were great but I didn't notice it much during the actual movie. Still, I'm planning on adding 4 in-ceiling speakers to get the Atmos effect at home.
I had a couple of friends of mine who are A/V installers do the job originally, I think I may call him to ask how he blocked it out originally, my guess is he probably has run into this. I hear you RMK about listening above reference. My HT room isn't sealed and it doesn't shift the image but the image vibrates to the bass notes!
post #21728 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Carp, how much do your surrounds weigh? I am on the hunt again for speakers mounts. I really don't like the ones I bought. I am going to mount the backs to the wall and the sides to a bracket. I like the way these pivot and yet keep the speaker close to the wall. This was sometime ago huh? Look at that front stage.

I'm not sure exactly how much they weight, I'm guessing around 30 pounds? I do know that when mounting them I felt like the brackets could have held a much heavier speaker they are heavy duty for sure. I think they are only rated for 40 pounds but I think they are being conservative.
post #21729 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm not sure exactly how much they weight, I'm guessing around 30 pounds? I do know that when mounting them I felt like the brackets could have held a much heavier speaker they are heavy duty for sure. I think they are only rated for 40 pounds but I think they are being conservative.
I'm sure they will hold much more. I suggest you test them with your 215's ... Wall mounted 215RT's surrounds would be cool.
NWCgrad likes this.

HToM

post #21730 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
I'm sure they will hold much more. I suggest you test them with your 215's ... Wall mounted 215RT's surrounds would be cool.
I don't think there would be enough height to be mounted on a bracket.. Mine as well stack the the 215RT on a couple of dictionary's just to get a little more height..lol
post #21731 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I don't think there would be enough height to be mounted on a bracket.. Mine as well stack the the 215RT on a couple of dictionary's just to get a little more height..lol
Haha, your right, they are pretty much wall mounted.
post #21732 of 24786 Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Haha, your right, they are pretty much wall mounted.
Hey Reef.. Did you get your 215's yet?
post #21733 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Hey Reef.. Did you get your 215's yet?
No, I heard this week, we will see.
post #21734 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Señor Member

Surround Sound Experiment

I do not go out to the movies other than an occasional visit to IMAX. All the Dolby Atmos chatter has made me very curious so as reported earlier, we (with our 15 year old son) went to a new Atmos theater in the area to see Guardians of the Galaxy (3D-Atmos). The Atmos demos were impressive especially the rain on the roof sequence and I was feeling positive about the possibilities for Atmos at home.

The movie (while very entertaining) was another story. I can't recall one moment where I noticed the Atmos "experience" and my wife/son were of the same opinion. Being a teen he loves going out to movies to hang with friends but we all agreed that movies sound much better at home. The wife is a person who doesn't pay attention to things like this but will indulge me in my hobby. She enjoyed GOTG and so last night we decided to drag out an old action bluray to test the theory. I chose Hell Boy as she hadn't seen it.

It wasn't long into the film before she turned to me and said "see how much better our HT sounds?". There are a lot of rain scenes in Hell Boy and the rain/thunder thing was just as real sounding as the Atmos theater. I'm thinking my surround backs firing up at the ceiling helped with that effect. Hell Boy also has good LFE and great surround effects and they were all better than the Atmos experience. The rest of the sound from dialog clarity to dynamics were also a step up.

This experiment may have postponed if not cancelled my Atmos speaker quest. If 7.1 in my room with the speakers I have is better than a good commercial Atmos theater and, as good as any IMAX I have been to, why bother?

Turns out, going out to the movies may be the most effective upgradeitis cure ...
Archaea, poolratt, asoofi1 and 1 others like this.

HToM

post #21735 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 124
post #21736 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I do not go out to the movies other than an occasional visit to IMAX. All the Dolby Atmos chatter has made me very curious so as reported earlier, we (with our 15 year old son) went to a new Atmos theater in the area to see Guardians of the Galaxy (3D-Atmos). The Atmos demos were impressive especially the rain on the roof sequence and I was feeling positive about the possibilities for Atmos at home.

The movie (while very entertaining) was another story. I can't recall one moment where I noticed the Atmos "experience" and my wife/son were of the same opinion. Being a teen he loves going out to movies to hang with friends but we all agreed that movies sound much better at home. The wife is a person who doesn't pay attention to things like this but will indulge me in my hobby. She enjoyed GOTG and so last night we decided to drag out an old action bluray to test the theory. I chose Hell Boy as she hadn't seen it.

It wasn't long into the film before she turned to me and said "see how much better our HT sounds?". There are a lot of rain scenes in Hell Boy and the rain/thunder thing was just as real sounding as the Atmos theater. I'm thinking my surround backs firing up at the ceiling helped with that effect. Hell Boy also has good LFE and great surround effects and they were all better than the Atmos experience. The rest of the sound from dialog clarity to dynamics were also a step up.

This experiment may have postponed if not cancelled my Atmos speaker quest. If 7.1 in my room with the speakers I have is better than a good commercial Atmos theater and, as good as any IMAX I have been to, why bother?

Turns out, going out to the movies may be the most effective upgradeitis cure ...
Couldn't agree with you more about this. We saw TF4 in Atmos and it didn't do a thing for me. Really couldn't tell if anything was different than the other screens....
post #21737 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I have really enjoyed all the Atmos movies I have seen so far. The biggest upgrade to me is the subs and the bass shakers though (oh and the recliners!!), not the surround effects.
post #21738 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I have really enjoyed all the Atmos movies I have seen so far. The biggest upgrade to me is the subs and the bass shakers though (oh and the recliners!!), not the surround effects.
You should get Archaeas 228's and use them as surrounds with your 215-212 front end for MC music and some good surround effects films.

Then tell me you aren't impressed with surround sound ...

Humm, surround speaker GTG? ...

HToM

post #21739 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You should get Archaeas 228's and use them as surrounds with your 215-212 front end for MC music and some good surround effects films.

Then tell me you aren't impressed with surround sound ...

Humm, surround speaker GTG? ...

Speaking of surround, I've been much happier with my own surrounds lately. I moved my front row up just a little bit, enough so that the side surrounds aren't directly to my side anymore. I like this much better. Before the side surrounds seemed too directional and it felt more like just listening to distinct points. Now I get a better and more believable surround field behind me.
post #21740 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Speaking of surround, I've been much happier with my own surrounds lately. I moved my front row up just a little bit, enough so that the side surrounds aren't directly to my side anymore. I like this much better. Before the side surrounds seemed too directional and it felt more like just listening to distinct points. Now I get a better and more believable surround field behind me.
I noticed the same. Either a few degrees in front or behind is better than at 90° from the LP. Dunno why because it makes no sense logically.

HToM

post #21741 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I agree, my surrounds are a foot behind me and I had them right in line at one point... they sound much better a foot or so back.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #21742 of 24786 Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I noticed the same. Either a few degrees in front or behind is better than at 90° from the LP. Dunno why because it makes no sense logically.
I am getting ready to hang my surrounds in the next week or so. When I went to Andrews a couple of weeks ago, I noticed he had the sides set in the middle of the two rows. I was curious how it would sound and when we did the Book of Eli scene, it was great. I am going to wait till my chairs come in to mount them, but I think I am going to mount them behind my seats about a foot.
post #21743 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I am getting ready to hang my surrounds in the next week or so. When I went to Andrews a couple of weeks ago, I noticed he had the sides set in the middle of the two rows. I was curious how it would sound and when we did the Book of Eli scene, it was great. I am going to wait till my chairs come in to mount them, but I think I am going to mount them behind my seats about a foot.
A few pages back I asked about ceiling mounting my slant 8's. I was so concerned about how to do it, I really didn't consider if should do it. Does anyone have them mounted is a smaller room? I will have about 9 feet between the two speakers with just over a 7 foot ceiling and I'm worried about them being too distracting. My other plan is to go with the Axion qs8 v4's. Mounting wise, the in ceiling s8's actually would work out better, but not enough to sacrifice the overall HT experience.

post #21744 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:

AMC Prime is the only thing that has rivaled my home theater experience. It is the whole thing - the incredible seats, the red glow JBL line arrays, the eight 18" subwoofers turned up loud!, the tactile transducers in the seats dialed into perfection, the enormous screen, high qauality projector, ATMOS. I've been to just two movies there, and while I agree the actual movies didn't really showcase atmos nearly as well as the opening Atmos demos - the entire experience was just fantastic.
AMC Prime Theaters! Dolby Atmos, Guitammer seat transducers, Reclining Electronic Leather Seats!

RMK! and Reddig like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 08-05-2014 at 08:04 AM.
post #21745 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
A few pages back I asked about ceiling mounting my slant 8's. I was so concerned about how to do it, I really didn't consider if should do it. Does anyone have them mounted is a smaller room? I will have about 9 feet between the two speakers with just over a 7 foot ceiling and I'm worried about them being too distracting. My other plan is to go with the Axion qs8 v4's. Mounting wise, the in ceiling s8's actually would work out better, but not enough to sacrifice the overall HT experience.
I think the Slanted 8's are a great surround speaker. I recently turned my surround back 180° and they now fire off of the ceiling. You could also have them ceiling mounted and firing off of the wall or aimed at the LP. They really give you lots of options to experiment with and would be a better match tonally with your main speakers.

HToM

post #21746 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
AMC Prime is the only thing that has rivaled my home theater experience. It is the whole thing - the incredible seats, the red glow JBL line arrays, the eight 18" subwoofers turned up loud!, the tactile transducers in the seats dialed into perfection, the enormous screen, high qauality projector, ATMOS. I've been to just two movies there, and while I agree the actual movies didn't really showcase atmos nearly as well as the opening Atmos demos - the entire experience was just fantastic.

No AMC-Prime theaters in the DC area. Hopefully the final Hobbit movie will still be at the AMC-Prime theater in North KC in late Dec/early Jan.
post #21747 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
AMC Prime Theaters! Dolby Atmos, Guitammer seat transducers, Reclining Electronic Leather Seats!

Right on, I wish we had this here. My theater sucks to say it nice. Like I said the only thing worth going to here is at the Tropicana in AC. It is an Imax and IMO besides the big screen and stadium seating, it is not much different than my local theater, other than cleaner. I really think that all the people that own commercial theaters should take a look at this and retool their theaters, it is not going to be long before they are extinct if they don't stay ahead of the enthusiast. My chief complaint is that my theater is dirty, the sound is horrible, you have people around you talking, cell phones, people getting up and down every 10 minutes, the visuals are bad and the list goes on. I would be happy to go to the theater if the above pic was the theater I was going to. When my theater is done, I don't see my self going to the movies for a really long time or at least until they get their act together.
post #21748 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
I mounted mi directly the ceiling with a straight metal bracket so I did not lose any additional height under the speaker. Now I just need to finish it off with some trim in front and back to cover the fastner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	197649  

post #21749 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I mounted mi directly the ceiling with a straight metal bracket so I did not lose any additional height under the speaker. Now I just need to finish it off with some trim in front and back to cover the fastner.
thanks for the replies, guys, makes me feel better.. I have been thinking about how to mount them in the ceiling. I was considering using MDF and fastening them between the joists so i can use the keyhole brackets, but I like the idea of using something like the suggested axiom bracket. It seems that that type of bracket would allow to adjust the angle of the speaker for the best results. I don't know how you would attach the s8 to that bracket, though. Any suggestions or recommendations for other brackets? thanks for all of the help!

Edit: finally found the post where RMK recommended these mounts. I think that they may fit the bill!

Last edited by hogues; 08-05-2014 at 11:02 AM.
post #21750 of 24786 Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
My theater sucks to say it nice...My chief complaint is that my theater is dirty, the sound is horrible, you have people around you talking, cell phones, people getting up and down every 10 minutes, the visuals are bad and the list goes on. I would be happy to go to the theater if the above pic was the theater I was going to. When my theater is done, I don't see my self going to the movies for a really long time or at least until they get their act together.
I completely relate with and agree with your assessment! So many commercial theaters are just bad. I really hate hearing the adjascent screen speakers, really yanks you out of the movie and back to your sticky seat.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page